My Wife Was Attacked In The Parking Lot And Rite Aid Won't Help!

Virginia police are unable to track down the creep who grabbed Michael’s wife in a Rite Aid parking lot because Rite Aid is refusing to hand over its security tapes. Even worse, the store manager apparently knows the creepy grabber guy and is also refusing to help. Michael wrote to Rite Aid’s corporate office begging them to cooperate with law enforcement. He hasn’t heard back in two days.

Michael writes:

On May 8 2008 around 6pm, my wife was shopping at Rite Aid store # 11285 in Newport News, Va. She noticed an individual in the store wearing a heavy coat and nit cap with a backpack. It was warm out so she thought it a little strange. He paid for his purchase and left the store. She paid for her items and left. She has remote start on her car and started it from inside the store. When she got to her car and opened the door, the individual who was in the store ran up behind her an attempted to grab her.

She was able to turn and kick him and get into the car and drive off. When she got home we called the police. While we were waiting for them to show up we called the store and spoke with the manager. His name is Jim or John . We explained what just happened and he stated he remembered her being in there and he somewhat knew the individual as he comes in regularly and he might work for a Waste Management Company. He also stated the camera facing the right front side of the building where the attack happened was not working, but the one in the store was. Once we gave the description to the police, he went to talk to the manager. Later in the evening he called to let us know the manager refused to discuss the issue and would not let him see the security video of inside the store. The matter was turned over to a Detective the next day. Since the 9th, numerous attempts have been made to contact the manager, however he has not returned one phone call.

On May 27 around 1pm I called the Home Office at (717)761-2633. After getting bounced around to different departments and disconnected, I was finally able to get Karen Mcklintic (sp) at 503-977-5903 in the claims department. She listened and stated she would take this to her supervisor to act on. I heard nothing from her yesterday May 28, and left her a message today May 29. All I was asking for was for someone to call the manager and instruct him to call the detective and to give him the information he needs. I don’t know if the security video is still available or if it has been taped over.

I do not understand why he is reluctant to help get this resolved. My wife was attacked a few years ago and this is bringing back some bad memories. It makes it worse that the manager may know the individual and sees him in the store and is not doing anything. As a minimum the security tapes should have been pulled after we called and given to the police. I understand if a district or regional manager needed to be involved before the tapes were given or viewed, but to get NO cooperation from a Rite Aid representative is ridiculous. I have no problem taking a week off from work, having a sign made that states: MY WIFE WAS ATTACKED IN THIS PARKING LOT AND RITE AIDE WILL NOT HELP. SHOP AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Good idea. Make the sign, show it to the manager, and explain your intentions. Then, ask once more for the tape.

The corporate office really needs to step up and reign in their vigilante manager. Customer service complaints are inherently subjective, but we can all agree that it’s a bad idea to interfere with a police investigation.

(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. thesabre says:

You mean the investigation was turned over to a detective and yet, you still contacted Home Office to try and help? That’s very nice of you, but let the police do their job. People like you, while they have good intentions, usually do more to hinder an investigation than help it.

2. rasbill says:

dude if i was you i would go down there and totally kick the managers teeth in, seriously

3. laserjobs says:

Awesome!!! The first comment post is blaming the victim.

WAY TO GO!!!

4. Here_we_go says:

I don’t understand how the manager had any right to keep the tape due to it being needed as evidence. I thought withholding evidence to a crime was also a crime.

5. thesabre says:

@laserjobs: Not blaming the victim. But advising him that what he is doing is valiant, but may do more to slow the investigation down. I’m not siding with Rite Aid, I’m not saying his wife shouldn’t get help, I’m not saying that his wife doesn’t deserve help… I’m just saying that when it comes to police investigations, you should let them do their job.

6. Edge23 says:

The reason Rite Aid is probably slow to respond right now is that they are talking with their legal team, as they can be sued and held responsible for the attack.

So as the first poster said, let the police do their work and quit trying to meddle into the investigation by calling the manager and Rite Aid continually.

7. Phexerian says:

Detective should be contacted instead to see the progress over it. The detective can get a warrant from a judge for the tapes. Since the manager knows the suspect, the manager could be charged with accessory to a crime for trying to cover up his identity. The police department should also be pressed for getting this fixed. Detectives are very busy and handle quite a lot so it may take time.

Also, contact the district manager about it as well. Tell him/her about your sign event as well. Possibly, he will hand over the tapes if they are not ruined yet.

Also, if there is any free time, you and a friend can drive through the parking lot a few times a day and even go in the store with a camera and if you see the guy, photograph him and then get it to the detective. Also make sure the detective knows that the manager said he knows the suspect.

Go ahead and file a complaint with the BBB and attorney generals office just as a scare tactic and make sure the manager and district manager know as well. And to top it off, go to the local media about it with your story. Rite-aid will not like to be put in the media in a negative light. Make sure the two managers know this as well.

8. thesabre says:

@Phexerian: “Also, if there is any free time, you and a friend can drive through the parking lot a few times a day and even go in the store with a camera and if you see the guy, photograph him and then get it to the detective.”

No you can’t. The Rite Aid is private property. You cannot freely walk in and photograph people without their permission.

9. Shadowfire says:

@Here_we_go: Police need a warrant to take evidence from private property. The company is free to just give the evidence up (and they should), but they do not have to until they are compelled to by the court.

10. AcidReign says:

Y’all chill out on the victim, here. Good God! I wouldn’t have a huge amount of confidence that the police would dog this case properly, either. No physical damage, no successful robbery, on to more pressing cases. Check out how many crimes get reported in that area:

[www.dailypress2.com]

I’d say Mike’s the one with the due diligence, here. Rite Aid’s ramping up their legal exposure, here, I’d say. I’d love to be sitting on a jury and hearing how they stonewalled in this case…

11. Phexerian says:

@thesabre: You can sure as hell try. I would.

12. Shadowfire says:

@thesabre: You can walk in and photograph people until you’re asked to leave… ;)

13. johnva says:

@thesabre: In my experience, most cops are lazy (the bad ones) and/or overworked (the good ones). They generally need a lot of prodding from the victims if you want them to get off their asses and actually investigate a crime like this.

14. Amy Alkon000 says:

Those of you with great confidence in the results of the average police “investigation”…well, it’s likely misplaced. My car was stolen and later I was a victim of a hit-and-run, and in both cases, the thieves were only brought to justice because I spent months, in each case, tracking them down. The police DID NOT CARE — and really weren’t even interested — despite the fact that I had ample evidence in each case, which I provided to the police…including a security tape from Whole Foods (from their parking garage, where the hit-and-run occurred). I got it by being rather persuasive on the phone with an exec in their main office about their responsibility to help customers who are victimized while in their business get justice.

Judge Kamens, in Santa Monica Criminal Court, told me the hit-and-runner never would have been brought to justice but for my efforts — and perhaps that means he won’t be on the road to injure you or somebody else.

In short, the police are busy and maybe don’t care about your little case. I’m tracking a woman now who used a fake driver’s license in my name to siphon $12K out of my bank accounts. Believe me, I care much more than the police or the Bank of America investigators do. In fact, when I talk to cops about this, they say stuff like “The bank took the hit, why do you care?” (Because the bank gave me back my money that they dispensed like iceberg lettuce.)

Well, if she doesn’t rob you, too, maybe it’s because I’ve spent the time to track and see her ass prosecuted…I will if it’s at all possible for me, believe me.

15. thesabre says:

@Phexerian:
    @Shadowfire:
    Touché. :-)

@johnva:
    True, but interfering with a police investigation is a crime, regardless of which party does the interference.

16. thesabre says:

@Amy Alkon: That’s great that you helped. But it appears that you did not attempt to help while there was an actual ongoing investigation going on. Was there an actual detective working on your case while you were getting involved?

17. forgottenpassword says:

the grabber works in waste management eh? Maybe he is in the mob and threatened the rite aid manager? lol

18. forgottenpassword says:

@thesabre:

boy the cops sure do have it all sewn up dont they! They can basically not investigate while telling you they are & then accuse you of interfereing with an investigation if you dare to do it yourself!

19. Skyoodpov says:

This may come across as insensitive, but I prefer to think of it as optimistic…

Congratulations! You just won the lottery. Make a big public stink, sue RiteAid for an exorbitant amount and profit.

It is a great, scary story, so going on the big talk shows will certainly help. If some nutjob can successfully sue McDonalds for hot coffee, you should be able to make out like a BANDIT for something legit like this. Even if you don’t have a REAL case (I’m no lawyer, maybe you do, maybe you don’t) but by making a huge deal out of it, you will be giving Rite Aid enough bad publicity where they may settle out of court.

It will be some effort, and some time, but isn’t it worth it to potentially become overnight millionaires?

Best of luck, take them to the cleaners…

20. rasbill says:

thesabre just shut up the police only help when forced to

21. meadandale says:

@laserjobs:

thesabre isn’t blaming the victim but the point is correct. A company will generally NOT turn over a surveillance tape to a private party (or allow them to view it). They will, however, turn it over to the authorities for a criminal investigation.

This same thing happened to a friend of mine when someone stole his credit card out of his car in his driveway and was caught shopping in some sports store (Sports Authority?). He wanted to get a look at the perps so he’d know who they were if he ever so him again (for his family’s protection) but they wouldn’t show him the tape.

22. Sanveann says:

@Skyoodpov: Honestly, I get SO tired of that McDonald’s case getting trotted out constantly.

It was an elderly woman who was in a NONMOVING car and was burned so badly she required skin grafts. It was discovered during the course of the trial that more than 700 people had been burned by their coffee in a 10-year span. McDonald’s franchises were REQUIRED to keep their coffee at 180-190 degrees (almost boiling); at that temperature, third-degree burns occur in two to seven seconds.

Not to mention, all SHE wanted was her medical bills paid. The jury awarded a higher amount to her.

23. mgy says:

Maybe the manager is friends with this guy?

24. Pylon83 says:

Rite-Aid has no obligation to turn over the tape to anyone without a court-order (subpoena). Freely giving them out to private parties raises severe privacy issues and legal exposure issues for Rite-Aid. If Rite-Aid had just handed them over to the OP or let him view them, everyone would be screaming invasion of privacy, etc. The OP needs to leave this to the police and stop interfering with their investigation.

25. Shadowfire says:

@Pylon83: The point is that they’re not turning the tapes over to the police.

26. sparrowmorgan says:

Wait until the police announce they’re unable to get the tape, and then sue Rite Aid and the store manager for intentional infliction of emotional distress.

INAL, but personally I would’ve called my lawyer immediately after I called the police, and I definitely would’ve called him after the store refused to hand over the tape.

27. Darkwish says:

@thesabre: The manager refused to cooperate with a police investigation. He has a valid complaint.

And also, unless it’s a high-profile kidnapping or murder, the police don’t care about anything other than handing out speeding tickets unless you either do all their work for them or they catch the guy in the act. This has been my experience with multiple police departments/agencies.

Although I must give the officer involved in this story credit for actually taking the report and trying to view the surveilance tape.

28. meadandale says:

I take back my earlier comment. I had to reread the article several times as it is poorly written.

The author uses ‘he’ in reference to the manager. Then the author says “Once we gave the description to the police, he went to talk to the manager”. The author uses “police” in the non specific and then refers to an individual, who I’m now assuming was the responding officer?

In any event, the store is under no obligation legally to turn over the tapes to an officer/detective unless they have a court order or subpoena.

29. thalia says:

Isn’t withholding evidence a crime?

30. DH405 says:

@thesabre: How cute. You think the detective is going to do his job and follow up on it.

Are you Canadian?

31. Pylon83 says:

@Shadowfire:
    There is no evidence that the police have subpoenaed the tape. The store doesn’t have to voluntarily give it up.

32. VicMatson says:

What did the assigned detective say(they give you their card). If it were me I would go to his supervisor and explain. Then to local government and the paper/news!

The Police are the ones that need the push(in criminal actions)if anyone does, the company is looking out for itself in any civil actions.

33. glass says:

seems like an easy situation to solve.

watch the manager walk to his car. then, the next night, douse his car in gasoline and set it ablaze.

it would help if you laugh maniacally while doing it.

34. eelmonger says:

@VicMatson: This is exactly right. If you want to be mad at anyone, you should be mad at the police for not subpoenaing the tapes. Call up the detective and see how the case is going, bring up getting the tapes and see what his response is. If you don’t like what you hear, escalate.

35. WEGGLES90 says:

I think at this point the motto “Shoppers Bite Back” is obsolete.

“The Consumerist: Shoppers blame the victim” is more relevant.

That said, the manager is a slime ball and I can’t see why Rite Aid would be intentionally difficult.

36. mammalpants says:

my gf was recently yelled at in a Rite Aid in Cary NC because she wheeled her bicycle around with her in the store and used her bike basket as her cart because there were no places for her to secure it outside. the employees were fine with it, but the manager asked her to leave the store and was apparently very mean to her about it.

no worries…she left and we will never go back again!

i know people will say YOU SHOULDNT TAKE YOUR BICYCLE INSIDE A STORE BLAH BLAH BLAH LIABILITY THIS THAT BLAH BLAH but there were literally NO places to lock it up outside. anyone with a nice bike knows that you would rather keep it with you than take a chance leaving it outside and unsecured. also, it was not scuffing up the floors or anything.

no matter what, she is 29 years old and does not deserve to be talked to in the manner that the manager talked to her.

37. strathmeyer says:

“Not helping” is a lot different than “obstructing justice”…

38. PølάrβǽЯ says:

@Edge23: “What was the point posting this on consumerist? Robberies and crimes occur each day in the country.”

This is a story about a company intentionally screwing over one of their customers, which is exactly what the Consumerist reports about. As has been said numerous times before, if you don’t like the content, don’t visit the site.

39. billbobbins says:

Nowadays you have to make sure the police follow through with an investigation or it will just get filed and forgotten.

40. cametall says:

@Edge23:

You have a point on why they’re slow to respond. Though I think it is a weak reason. Somebody was attacked and the culprit needs to be caught.

41. synergy says:

Spelling nitpick: rein and reign are two different words with two different meanings. You kids should look them up in the dictionary.

42. calvinneal says:

@thesabre I Have read your absurd comments. Either you are a. under medical treatment and taking high dosages of anti-psychotics or b. You are still in high school and living with Mommy and Daddy.
    T

43. FessLove says:

when it comes to people whining about the posted return policy about a restocking fee or trying to return a camcorder they bought 11 months ago, I will side with the company every time. In most situations the company did what they should. This is a little different. I would not have given the tapes to the husband, but happily handed them over to the police. This is not a situation where the manager should stand his ground. Give up the tapes!

44. Skyoodpov says:

@Sanveann:

I am sorry you are tired of the wholly tangential, yet perfectly valid anecdotal example I gave. Thank you for your opinion, we take it very seriously.

45. Raziya says:

@calvinneal: So thesabre is pyscotic for believing just a little bit that our police are not total morons? Grow up.

46. Raziya says:

@Raziya: Ugh, psychotic, I meant. WTB edit button!

47. baristabrawl says:

@rasbill: Or at least just run up and grab him inappropriately.

48. baristabrawl says:

@Skyoodpov: I always have to say this: The woman who successfully sued McDonald’s was 80 and had never been involved in a lawsuit in her life. Her vagina was damaged and required surgery just for her to be able to use the restroom properly.

Of course it could be her fault for being 80 and having tired skin. Or McDonald’s could have slightly cooler coffee, better lids…something.

I do have to say that I have NEVER put hot coffee between my legs. I can’t imagine someone doing that. Get a cup holder, or go inside.

49. Court Subpeona

50. @Papa Midnight: Elaboration: Grab an attorney, request a court subpeona. Deliver. Instant Cooperation. No one wants to hinder a police investigation now do they :P

51. vmorgs says:

This guy needs to talk to a lawyer ASAP and sue not only the Rite-Aid store where his wife was attacked, but also the corporate parent company of Rite-Aid. In doing so, his lawyer should be able to compel the store to turn over the security tapes through discovery. Even if he looses, the tapes will have been entered into the court record and he’ll have them. Then the police can sort it out so they aren’t taped over.

52. thesabre says:

@calvinneal: Thanks! After reading your retort, I have concluded that you have no debating ability so you have to resort to ad hominem attacks. Congratulations on losing all credibility.

53. @baristabrawl:

Furthermore, the ginormous jury award (I think it was something like $12 million) was lowered significantly on appeal.

54. Pfluffy says:

The store has no obligation to let the crime victim or her family have any view of the tape. However, the store does have the duty to hand evidence over to police with a warrant. If the manager knows who the guy is and refuses to cooperate — like refusing to identify him or give police a detailed description, name, or place of employment, he is obstructing justice. The crucial thing is having police do the job they are entrusted to do.

I hope the cops get the store video and can work up a way for the crime victim to make a positive ID and get the creep off the street and away from the public at large.

That being said, I would not patronize ANY business (or any branch of any franchise) that would not cooperate with police over such a serious matter. If they don’t care about my general safety, I don’t care to enrich them or reward them. In fact, I would think of retaining counsel over the store’s failure to have their security systems fully functional, leading me into a false sense of security, and argue they allowed a known hazard (the perv & malfunctioning security) to remain on their property.

The store manager is painted in this story as nothing less than a non-feeling idiot. It’s one thing to have your hands tied by ignorance, but it’s something else to protect a criminal because he’s a buddy or the boss said so. Either way, the store manager sounds like he needs to find his… moral compass.

55. STrRedWolf says:

Open up a lawsuit to ID a John Doe you want to sue for negligence. Drop a subpoena on Rite-Aid for the tapes. If they don’t have them, they have to answer a judge.

56. Skyoodpov says:

@baristabrawl:

I don’t want to argue off topic about it, but even now knowing those facts (I did some fact checking and you are right), I still believe in some personal responsibility. She spilled her own coffee on herself. Its sad that she was old, and really hurt herself. But again, she hurt herself…

Not that I wouldn’t have taken McMoneybags to the bank myself. I would at least feel like a scam artist doing it.

57. CharlieInSeattle says:

@Shadowfire: True however the manager refusing to give a statement is a crime, it’s called obstruction of justice.

58. 4ster says:

I used to live a short drive from that store, and that is an increasingly rough neighborhood. When I lived there, the police told me that section of Newport News was becoming the area cops dreaded the most.

Incidentally, Newport News is also where this happened: [daveola.com]

59. ChChChacos says:

I would get my ass down to that RideAid and help you put up the signs. This is pretty scary. And I agree with Here_We_Go, I thought not giving you the tapes was withholding evidence, which I believe is a crime as well. Good luck on your case. I hope you find that guy and he gets what he deserves.

60. girly says:

@Skyoodpov: I don’t think that the mcdonald’s case had anything to do with personal responsibility. I could see with hot coffee assuming the risk of something equivalent to a sunburn, but to have your skin melt because it’s way too hot–that’s McDonald’s fault.

I imagine if fries came out of the fryer too hot too touch they would not serve them right away.

I hope that the OP’s case is solved soon and the Rite Aid decides to help. I wonder if the suspect ever came back to the store after that.

61. girly says:

(and about anything served “too hot” I don’t mean it as in they have to compensate for bad judgment of the customer, but just to make sure it isn’t seriously dangerous)

62. soloban says:

Somewhat off topic, but…. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. I don’t know what it is about Rite Aids and CVS’s that tend to attract criminal elements.

If she is interested, In VA it is VERY VERY easy to get a Concealed Handgun Permit. Your wife would need to take a class (most gun ranges or gun stores offer courses). Once she takes the class, its a matter of submitting an application and $50 fee to the local court. Typically permits are granted within 45 days. See http://www.vcdl.org for more information, or send me a message and I can help with the info. Also, its perfectly legal to carry Pepper Spray, Mace, or Stun Guns in VA. FWIW…

I’m glad to hear that she wasn’t seriously injured and just shook up.

As far as the store not turning over the tapes, most stores will only surrender their video tapes to police or investigators. Typically they do this because they don’t want the public knowing where their cameras are, what they can see, etc, or to avoid being sued. Your best bet is to work it through the local PD. Good Luck.

63. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

@Sanveann: You have a verifiable source for this information, or do you just know everything.
    And don’t tell me “look it up yourself” as YOU are the one posting the “facts.”

64. FrankReality says:

In my opinion, the investigating officer should have contacted the store manager and directed him to not destroy the contents of the tape. This action buys time to request a warrant. If the manager destroys the tape contents, the police can now charge the manager for disobeying a police officer AND impeding an investigation/obstruction.

It’s not clear whether this was done or not.

Then the officer should request a search warrant for that tape – this is probably something that would wait until a work day for a judge to sign the warrant.

The one thing I’d suggest to the crime victim in this case is to contact the investigator regularly until they actually have the tapes and interview the manager. Even with the tape, they may not have enough to id a suspect or enough to file charges.

Now, it’s been three weeks – certainly by now the investigator should have the available evidence in hand and can give the victim an update on status.

I don’t want to abuse the victim here a second time – certainly getting in the car, locking the doors and fleeing is the right thing to do. It would be extremely hard to think to do this, but getting a picture of the assailant with your cellphone camera once you’re safe would have been a godsend for the police.

As for dealing with RiteAid, I have a better idea. Contact one of the television stations that cover your area, particularly if you have one with a “consumer affairs” or investigative unit. Ask if they’re interested in investigating your case. Think video stakeout of location of the crime, think of an embarrassing interview of the manager or a representative of the company when the manager refuses with questions like why didn’t you turn over the tape? Did you fix the broken camera in your parking lot? Why not? Why did you not cooperate with the police? They could do a nice job of embarrassing the police if they mishandled the case, too – why didn’t you get a warrant for the tape? why didn’t you charge the manager for obstruction?

There’s lots not to like with this case – it appears neither RiteAid or the police handled this well.

65. Skyoodpov says:
  66. icust298 says:

I haven’t read any of the comments so I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but ask the company who they have their general liability insurance with and call that insurance company and file a claim on their policy. That should get everyone moving (yes you can file a claim on their policy). Oh and if they refuse call your state insurance board or whatever it’s called.

67. roseland says:

I thought intentionally helping in the commission of a crime is aiding and abetting. (Accessory after the fact, a criminal charge). Though jurisdictions probably differ in this.

68. Novaload says:

@doctor_cos:It was common knowledge at the time, if you have a memory bank, you might check it. They afterward LOWERED the temp of the coffee. I think that implies it was too hot to handle safely. You really have a McDonald’s monkey on your back about this.

@Skyoodpov: Oh, and what if they started serving hot lava for a drink? Wow, that would be really hot too.

69. Novaload says:

I used to shop at a small plaza with a Food Lion/CVS etc. but I noticed that at night the lot was so dark you first thought there was a power failure or the store was closed. Maybe every third or fourth light on. I asked the mgr. why, and he said he thought it was sufficiently well lit. I said I thought it was a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    In this case, I would surely have asked the cops if they had followed up on the tape; and if they had interviewed the manager/witness.

Also, you can stand on a sidewalk with a telephoto lens and shoot away at the lot, and inside the store and you are engaged in legal activity. Whatever you can shoot from a sidewalk is yours.

70. Skyoodpov says:

@Novaload:

Yes Lava IS hot! You are so smart! You get a gold star!

(Nice to see the special-ed kids chiming in)

71. drdom says:

Two Points:
    First, the police know how to get the tape if they want it, and undoubtedly will find a way to get what they need. Let them do their job. The reason they aren’t turning the tape over might be because there is no tape. Maybe it’s a digital system, maybe he doesn’t know how to retrieve the info. Either way, the police can and will get what they need. And not all Police agencies keep you continually informed of the progress of their investigation. What happened to the lady was undoubtedly traumatic. Don’t compound it by making the investigation more difficult. Your concern is understandable. But given the opportunity, the police will investigate and clear the case. So let them do their job.

Second, perhaps the reason that Rite-Aid isn’t helping might be because they are wary of potential civil liability. I’m sure a reasonably good lawyer can easily pry the tape loose if necessary. But Large corporations don’t deliberately refuse to cooperate with investigations that will mitigate their liability. Rite-Aid has lawyers too. And they know that refusing to cooperate isn’t in their best interest, legally, financially and or in public relations.

72. rellog says:

@thesabre: thesabre has been watching one too many detective shows… just because you watch cops doesn’t mean you know SQUAT about the law. Worst case senario is that if the husband took a camera into the store and too the guy’s picture- they could AT BEST ask him to leave and not come back. I wouldn’t shop that store again anyway, so it’s really no loss.
    As for him hindering an investigation… detectives work many cases, and depending on his/her case load, the OP may NEVER see any resolution without being proactive.

God people that don’t know crap should really shut up…

73. FlippinKris says:

I have a funny police story. I was car jacked and I called the police. A report was made and the next day a detective called me wanting me to come to the station to answer questions. I told him sure but it might take a few hours since I didn’t have a car anymore (duh) and would have to either walk or find a bus. The detective got kinda mad and said he would come by my house. He comes by my house and starts accusing me of operating some sort of scheme and said he would get to the bottom of this. At this point I wanted to hit him but I said great find my car and whoever took it. Anyways, a week goes by and I get a call from some policeman saying my car was found. I picked up my car and paid a few hundred dollars (ughh) to get it out of the impound lot. A week later the stupid detective called me and said my car was found. I told him duh and if I didn’t get a call earlier I would have probably paid well over $1000 bucks because of my car sitting in the lot for so long. There are good policeman and bad. You hit or miss. I missed with this one and should have put in a complaint, but that would not do any good either.

74. 17-A says:

@johnva: I’ve seen some of the worst apathy out of local police forces and district courts in my neck of the woods, and I think you’re generally corrrect. Many cops who actually care about their jobs wind up overworked due to other officers who have discovered the tragedy of public sector compensation: extra effort doesn’t result in extra pay.

Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, it can make a detective’s job more difficult if you’re trying to follow up on the same leads that they are. If it causes significant complications or that detective is just unusually spiteful, it could definitely result in criminal charges for interfering with an investigation. So, I would urge the victim and her husband to work with the police as much as possible and not contact Rite Aid directly unless the detective gives them the go-ahead.

As for the sign tactic? Bad idea. The manager will ask you to leave within the first hour of your first day, and you could get arrested/sued if you refuse. Hiring an attorney and putting together a civil lawsuit is a much better option if you can’t get justice through the police. And holding a one-man demonstration in the parking lot is something that Rite Aid’s lawyers could use in civil court to paint the picture that you’re irrational.

The squeaky wheel doesn’t always get greased. It’s a great method if you’re talking about bad service, but situations like this are an entirely different matter and require a much more tactful approach.

75. theczardictates says:

Wow. I’m officially astonished by the barracks room lawyers here “pointing out” that RiteAid doesn’t have to turn over the tape without a subpoena/warrant/etc., or that the OP shouldn’t see the tape (who knows what else is on it?)

Boys and girls, the point isn’t that the manager HAS to cooperate, the point is that there is no conceivable reason why he shouldn’t VOLUNTARILY help the investigating officer to his fullest ability, just like all of you would do if you were eye-witnesses to an attempted mugging… right? Don’t you think the detective would be all over this if the manager cooperated? Tape evidence, ID on the perp, easy conviction and +1 for the arrest record.

If you’re not a lawyer, please don’t play one on the Internet. It just makes you look like an inconsiderate jerk.

76. thesabre says:

@rellog: So you would have no problems with me walking into your house and taking your picture, or taking your picture through your window. Right?

77. Sanveann says:

@doctor_cos: Some links:

[www.lectlaw.com]

[www.marlerblog.com]

[www.centerjd.org]

There are other sites (such as [overlawyered.com] ) out there that dispute whether or not serving 190-degree was called for. However, no one seems to dispute that 1) she was in a stationary vehicle, 2) numerous people had been burned before, and 3) the amount she originally asked for was $20,000.

78. Pylon83 says:

@theczardictates:
    The manager should NOT turn over the tapes to the OP voluntarily. Maybe to the police, but as has been mentioned, they may have exposure here as well. I doubt the store deliberately refusing to cooperate. The manager was probably told by corporate, who was advised by counsel, to wait until a warrant or subpoena is issued demanding the release of the tapes. Further, we only have one side of the story. We don’t know what the police have or have not done. We have the emotionally involved OP’s account, which most likely isn’t 100% accurate. Either way, they will never turn the tapes over to him directly, unless he get’s a subpoena (which would imply that he’s filed a civil suit against the store).

79. MBZ321 says:

Not surprised the outside cameras weren’t “working”…most stores have dummy cameras outside just to make customers feel better, but once someone (a customer) leaves the store, they could care less.

80. midwestkel says:

Maybe he shouldn’t have such a hot wife.

81. easy2panic says:

It’s sad to think, but the store manager probably already “misplaced” the tape.

82. DanaM says:

(Note: IANAL, this is stuff I’ve picked up elsewhere.)

I know it hasn’t been said directly, but if there’s any concern about the preservation of the tape while this is being sorted out, then a letter from a lawyer stating that the OP is considering suing Rite Aid should be sent to their legal department. That places them under immediate obligation to preserve anything which may be relevant as evidence. A suit doesn’t have to be filed; there just needs to be reasonable expectation of one.

83. tylerk4 says:

@Pylon83: You have no reasonable expectation of privacy while in public, therefore Rite Aid releasing these tapes would not infringe upon anyone’s “right” or “expectation” to privacy.

84. Candyman says:

@Skyoodpov:

The pointis not that she was old, but that McDonalds deliberatly served coffee at a higher temperature than was safe or allowed by health codes, had a known history of such serious burns, and had been paying them off with lowball settlements rather than change their practices. They even said under oath that if they lost they’d still keep serving it too hot.

85. Pylon83 says:

@tylerk4:
    I whole-heartedly agree with you. There is no expectation of privacy in public, but that doesn’t mean the store needs to be handing over surveillance tapes to private citizens. That said, while there is no per se expectation of privacy in public, I think there is a reasonable expectation that surveillance tapes won’t be handed out like candy to anyone that asks.

86. nikalseyn says:

This is why both my wife and I have a concealed weapons permit and carry everywhere, especially my wife. I daresay she would not have just driven off, but would have done a Roy Rogers by turning around with her Glock and popping the useless shred of human debris.

87. Pylon83 says:

@nikalseyn:
    Ok, I fully support the right to bear arms and the right to concealed carry. However, people with your state of mind shouldn’t be allowed to carry, and are the reason that many people are afraid of the general public carrying. The OP didn’t say the guy had a knife, or a gun, or indicated that he had one. He attempted to grab her. That doesn’t necessitate the use of deadly force in and of itself.

88. SacraBos says:

@thesabre: My wife had an altercation in a parking lot. Filed a police report, knew that Target had the evidence on tape, and the police did virtually nothing. Never even attempted to get the tape from Target. Target would be willing to turn over the tape if provided a subpoena (civil or criminal).

What you can do is file a John Doe civil suit, and subpoena the tape from the store. ID the perp, and file a complaint against him. If your suspicions are correct, get a deposition of the manager.

89. BrokenGlassHurts says:

@thesabre: Yeah, it would be great if the police actually did their jobs. We had a friend who was raped in her home by an intruder and the police didn’t do anything but “request” DNA from her co-workers, even if though that made absolutely no sense. The police were too lazy to even ask neighbors if they saw anything that night because “people will call us if they saw something, we don’t gotta ask ‘em.” Yeah, let the cops do their thing — that’s a great idea. Eating donuts and looking up friends’ names for traffic reports. That’s some work you’re doing there fella.

90. Anonymous says:

Lawyer up, file civil suits against the manager himself individually as well as Rite-Aid. See if you have cause of action against the local 5-0. Call all the local news media.

In short – your wife had a horrible experience and it probably brought on memories of the previous one. I too have been a crime victim, something similar.

But Rite-Aid is eventually going to be paying for your child’s college fund. They screwed up bad.

91. Pylon83 says:

@tekno-yanqui:
    Those are some pretty broad and unsupported conclusions. Where did Rite-Aid screw up? Not giving HIM the tapes when he asked for them?

92. beverleysage says:

This does not surprise me at all, while working at a rite aid a few years ago I was held up by gun point, since everyone was in the back and I was alone in the front. Not only did they make it terriably difficult for the police, they also attempted to fire me for being held up.

93. beverleysage says:

It doesn’t surprise me at all while working at rite aid a few yreas ago, I was left alone up front late at night and was held up at gun point, not only did they make the whole investigation difficult for the police, they tried to fire me for them losing their money.

94. sleepydumbdude says:

Unless you live in a small town the cops probably aren’t going to do anything. I had someone bust my windows out in a mall parking lot that was on camera and stole some of my bags. Called the cops and told me they were unable to see the tape of the incident and to “cut my loses”.

95. chartrule says:

i like the sign idea

96. Fawkes says:

unfortunately, you do live in ‘bad news’… not called that for nothing. hope all is settled though!

97. Oracle989 says:

@thesabre: @

98. ClevelandCub says:

@thesabre: You have to be the world’s biggest git.

99. RvLeshrac says:

@Skyoodpov:

Scalding tea ruins the flavor. All tea.

100. ClevelandCub says:

@Pylon83: Actually it does fall within the guidelines allowed in “most states” for using deadly force for self defense. She was attacked and was in a position where an average person would have felt that their life may have been in danger. That is the general litmus test. Of course YMMV and the local Commonweath or State prosecutor may see things differently.

101. ClevelandCub says:

@thesabre: Um sorry… let me try this again… my post disapeared. What I was going to say is… you have to be the world’s biggest git if you’re trying to compare being in PUBLIC in the drug store, and being in PRIVATE in your home. In public you have no right to an expectation of privacy except in limited circumstances (i.e. restrooms, fitting rooms, etc.). Even though the Rite-Aid is private property it is still in the public realm, so it meets the definition of a public space. That having been said, since Rite-Aid is private property they can restrict photography inside the building and ask you to or ON their property and ask you to leave their property… but they cannot prevent you taking pictures OF their property from the public sidewalk. It would argueably even be legal to have a high powered telephoto lense that allowed you to get shots of the manager inside the store (from the street).

The line between a legal and illegal photo in that situation is where you violate the individual’s assumed right to privacy. Think of it this way – oh look Joe is at the drug store, and I have a picture that shows that. Joe has no reasonable expectation to that level of privacy. Anyone on the street driving by can see that he went into the drug store. Now if I use my zoom lens take pictures of him picking up his prescription for Viagra, then I have violated his right to privacy.

(As an amateur photographer this is an issue that I follow closely, and though I’m not a lawyer, it comes from documentation provided by lawyers for photographer’s rights).

102. Preyfar says:

@sleepydumbdude:
    Yep, corporations are oft not want to help and prefer to work directly with the police. When my car got broken into at a Carmike Cinema, they refused to cooperate with me and tried to rush me out of the building (despite my car having gotten broken into, no window… and GPS stolen). All Carmike offered me was two free movie tickets for my loss, and do everything they can to get me out of their building. I never even got so much as an “I’m sorry”. Just “Here, take these and go”.

I never felt angrier in my life.

These places want nothing to do with the customer when bad things happen, and associate only with the authorities. Half the time, unfortunately, the authorities don’t always have time for things like this, or there are more pressing issues, so little gets done. It leaves the victims feeling hopeless and abandoned. It’s stupid.

After how horribly Carmike Cinema treated me in my moment of weakness I will NEVER return to their theaters again.

103. japinard says:

thesabre – You sir, are why I’ve come to hate half this country. Maybe if you got your ass raped and cops were too swamped to follow up on it any time soon (or ever) because LIKE MOST INNER OR LARGE CITIES THE POLICE ARE AT THEY’RE BREAKING POINTS AND MANY HAVE TO PRIORITIZE CRIMES BECAUSE THEY’RE HOPELESSLY BEHIND AND SWAMPED.

Sabre – since you’re not crying as much as that girl over their for silmiar rapings, we’re putting you on hold. Don’t worry, when we get past the murders that we’re backlogged on, the attempted murders, the break-ins in progress, and the other violent assauklt that were worse than yours… well then we’ll help you.

So please, until you’re affected by a violent crime and get put on the back buner, shut the f*ck up.

104. Raziya says:

Instead of attacking thesabre, why don’t you guys file a complaint with your local police departments, or better yet, why don’t you get a job as a cop, since you all obviously know what you’re doing better than they do.

Yes, the police are over-worked, underpaid, and not all of them are good, but that is the same in a lot of industries. It SUCKS that we have bad police officers, but seriously, I know that a lot of them are trying their best. It sucks.

BUT AT THE SAME TIME: You can only do so much as a citizen! By all means, if the police are not helping you, then go ahead and try to take matters into your own hands, but the police SOUND like they are helping in this story, so I am not sure what all the arguing is about? Rite Aid, if anyone, is at fault here for not doing the right thing and turning the tape over to the police without a warrant. But, if it takes that…then let them get it. If Rite Aid is not going to turn over the tape to the police, the are most assuredly not going to turn it over to you.

105. MrEvil says:

Unless somebody is in the hospital or the morgue don’t expect the cops to do a damn thing about it. If your car gets stolen the cops are just “Call your insurance company”. Some dirtbag snatches your purse or your wallet the cops are like “keep better tabs on your shit”. Or in the case of a previous poster here, “The bank gave you back your money, what’s it to you?”

What was it that priest said in The Boondock Saints? Evil triumphs through the indifference of good men?

And y’know what, until police agencies stop squandering tax-payer dollars and DHS grants on high-tech toys they probably don’t even need (Honestly, does Amarillo TX need a $1 million bomb squad truck with robot?) and instead put that money to better use by getting more uniforms out on the streets, I think we the public have a right to bitch about the police’s utter apathy towards solving crimes.

At least Texas had good enough sense to empower citizens to protect themselves rather than just let the police be apathetic.

106. milk says:

A guy vandalized my car and punched me in the head, knocking me unconscious for a little while. One of my friends yelled how could he hit a girl, so he punched my friend and gave him a black eye. He also took my car’s side view mirror, threw it, and broke a guy’s thumb. I had at least 10 witnesses to this, including the first cop on the scene who really beat the shit out of this guy with her stick. Many pepper sprays and punches to the head (from his brother) later, he was only semi-conscious and dragged away.

I didn’t get my settlement until a year later, at which point I was offered straight compensation for my damages, or he could go to court. I took the money and ran, as they say, because who knows how long the court dates would be delayed.

Everyone said the detective would call me, and I only heard from him two weeks later. They either don’t have the time or don’t understand time management (I would guess the former). I’d be harassing Rite Aid, too.

107. anachro882 says:

I’ve seen those signs at Home Depot.

108. Edge23 says:

@aaron8301:
    “As has been said numerous times before, if you don’t like the content, don’t visit the site.”
    Simply because this site allows consumers to post whatever stories that want does not mean everyone here should blindly fall in line and side with the “consumer” without questioning the facts and offering their opinions.

So if you want to be a sheep, feel free. I am going to use my brain and think about the stories that are posted.

109. MasterShazbot says:

Just give them the tape. Years ago I worked at Blockbuster and I was the manager on duty, an RCMP officer came in flashed his badge gave me his card and said I need yesterday’s tape. He had some paperwork for me to fill out saying he took the tape and I gave him the tape. I called my district manager and told him that the RCMP wanted the tape and that I gave it to them and he said “good”. End of story.

110. jdjonsson says:

waste management is code for “connected.” Thus the reason the manager won’t give up the tapes.

111. Bobg says:

Amy Alkon:

I was threatened with arrest for asking the police why they were not pursuing the guy that stole my car. they recovered my car at his house, he had a long rap sheet, etc. The police took exception to my asking why they refused to arrest him.

Should I go into the $200+ it cost me to beat a traffic ticket for running a red light at an intersection where there was no red light? That One incident changed my opinion of the police.

112. pigeonpenelope says:

@thesabre: you are right. he is being valient and obviously a caring husband but staying out of it is the most helpful thing he can do.

on that note, looks like a lawsuit against rite aid will be in order…

113. RobertW.TX says:

Strange I am glad I don’t live where the rest of you seam to live. The Police in my area are very helpful and professional. I had laptop stolen out of my car a couple of years back. I reported it to the police. They discovered the lot I was parked in was covered by cameras.

In about a week they subpoenaed the footage. Tracked the suspect to his car on other cameras in the lot. Identified the suspect based on the car’s plates. He and the DA settled out of court. Part of the criminal agreement was he not dispute my civil case and he paid the $2,500 in my civil case over the next year or so. He was on probation and community service for 6 months on the criminal side.

I can honestly say I had no complaints about the way my case was handled by the Police or Courts.

114. vladthepaler says:

Props to the OP for being so diligent in chasing this down. it’s unfortunate that the police don’t seem to be doing their jobs in this case. (That’s the real story I think, not Rite Aid’s non-cooperation.)

115. Andronicus1717 says:

@MrEvil: Pantex is located in Amarillo, so if any location has a pertinent need for a capable bomb squad Amarillo is on the list.

116. mikelotus says:

@thesabre: @Edge23: @Edge23:
    Exactly, look what a great job the Boulder, Colorado police did with the JonBenet Ramsey case. Glad you guys think the police in Newport News can handle it so well. By the way, remember when they caught the guy putting cyanide in Tylenol or the person the mailed out the anthrax virus?

117. Bobg says:

Seems posts are dropping off the board.

Amy Alkon

I am glad that you persevered in you pursuit of the criminal; I was threatened with arrest just for asking why the guy that stole my car was not arrested ( my car was recovered from his driveway, he had a rap sheet several pages long.)

Another time it cost me $200+ to beat a traffic ticket for running a red light where there was no red light.

I sold a car that had serious mechanical problems and the repair would have been more than the car was worth. Whoever bought the car tried to tow it but only got as far as a restaurant parking lot. The police called me and told me to remove the car immed. I told them that was impossible since I had sold the car and no longer had title to it. The police went to the parking lot to ticket the car in my name but (luckily) the new owner was there to tow it away.

I have come to the conclusion that the police in my area are for revenue enhancement.

118. Edge23 says:

@mikelotus:
    You are comparining a murder case to small robbery? You do

You people are simply cynical and paranoid if think all cops are lazy and incompetent.

119. picardia says:

If RiteAid can only turn the tape over the police, then it seems like they would (a) say so and (b) turn the tape over to the police already. If they won’t even give the guy a straight answer about this, or surrender the tape to the cops, then it looks like RiteAid is more interested in covering its own ass than taking care of its customers, and they deserve the blame.

120. bobfromboston says:

Blaming a low-level Rite-Aid manager is pointless. I can guarantee he would lose his job if he turned over surveillance tapes to anyone (even the police) without permission from above.

So the issue is with Rite-Aid corporate offices. The likelihood you’ll get satisfaction from them (and their lawyers) in two days is pretty damn low, particularly if you’re not with law enforcement.

121. Balisong says:

Solution: Tell the police that the attacker looked middle eastern. Deal with the details later.

122. FrankenPC says:

For all of you who think victims should sit at home while the valiant police force does it’s job…You are completely brain dead.

When it comes to customer service, Cops are at the absolute bottom of the totem pole. If you want something done hire a lawyer. They are your only hope.

Also, another commenter suggested kicking the managers teeth in. I suggest wearing a black ski mask and a backpack while doing so. The irony would be delightful.

123. MCShortbus says:

I would suggest that the next time he is in RiteAid someone should fill his a prescription for some 9mm asprin.

124. pantsonfire says:

What’s with all the name calling in this thread?
    You people are jackasses.

125. biswalt says:

Camera’s never work for thefts and acts of violence committed in parking lots. I’ve probably had seven friends have this same problem. But when I worked for a big box retailer and they were trying to find employees shoplifting, they busted a guy who worked in computers and had stolen some desktop speakers because he opened them on his balcony, which was visible to store cameras almost exactly a half mile away (checked it on Google Earth, actually just over a half mile). Cameras worked crystal clear, wide panoramic angle to capture everything in front of the store. Cameras were also routinely able to capture people parking outside the employee parking area, smoking distance from the main door violations, and cameras were used a few times to vindicate the security team on a couple of potentially litigious episodes whenever they had to tackle someone, and yes that came up.

Cameras never worked when someone got their car broken into/hit, whenever traffic at the store made employees late for totally unpredicatble reasons, or to prove that employees were only allowed to leave sometimes far after they clocked out. In other words, cameras only exist in stores for the same reason every other item is there, to maximize profit.

126. consumersaur says:

You guys have a lot of faith in cops, companies and idiot store managers. “Just let them do their job…” Please… if my wife had been attacked I would be at the store every day demanding tape and at the mayor’s office every day demanding the police seize it.

This whole notion of ‘Hey… just relax man…let the system work itself out’ never benefits the consumer/victim.

127. mikelotus says:

@Edge23: well yes, if they can’t deal with murder cases, we should have confidence they can deal with this? have you ever been to newport news?

128. biswalt says:

@Sanveann: Also about the McDonald’s case. The coffee was so hot it melted the glue (or the cup had not been properly glued) at the bottom and the bottom of the cup fell out dumping, as you said nearly boiling coffee in her crotch. Not exactly the ideal place for something like that. Glad to see someone else actually bothered to inform themselves about the case.

129. LaniOmega says:

If you can find a lawyer who would take your case on a contigency basis, you would get a great deal of cooperation as well as a possible settlement for your hardship

130. subterrene says:

I tried to help out in a hit-and-run at a local CVS, I witnessed the accident, then waited for the lady whose car was hit (she was in the store at the time) and informed her about it, gave her my contact info etc.
    She called me the next day and asked me to meet her at CVS. The manager was EXTREMELY helpful. Not only did he let us in the office to view the tape, he tried to match the time code on the tape to the purchase made by the woman who matched the description of the hit-and-run driver. The police officer on the case was not even present for this, the victim had to call him on her cell and then I relayed the info about the accident to him!
    So it’s too bad about the attitude of this Rite-Aid manager, obviously he could help as much as he wanted to (or not, as it seems).