Three Comcast Contract Workers Arrested For Torturing, Spray-Painting Kitten

Three Comcast contract workers were arrested when a witness discovered that a kitten had been spray-painted and nearly kicked to death, ABC 4 in West Valley, Utah reports. Jesus Villalovos was arrested for animal cruelty and obstruction of justice and 2 other men were cited with class B misdemeanors. The men were working in the area as contractors for Comcast around the time of the incident. Details, inside…

The article says,

A three-month-old gray tabby kitten was tortured. Mike Merrill, the only witness to the crime, said, “There was four people spray painting and kicking it from side to side.”

When Merrill got to the kitten, he said it looked lifeless. He said, “Basically seemed like it was almost dead…spray painted all the way down its back.”

Animal Control officers rushed the kitten to a veterinarian with concerns of internal injuries and severe shock.

Police said the men accused of spray painting and kicking the kitten are contract workers for Comcast. The cable company released a statement saying, “We are outraged and deeply saddened by this incident. We are fully cooperating with police and will take appropriate action once we have all the facts.”

Jesus Villalovos was arrested on charges of animal cruelty and obstruction of justice. Police said Villalovos spray painted the cat and lied to them.

Two other men were cited with class B misdemeanors.

The good news is that the kitten will be just fine. Merrill said if an owner doesn’t claim the cat in the next three days, he will adopt it.

West Valley man arrested for spray painting kitten [ABC 4] (Thanks to Austin!)
(Photo: ABC 4)

Comments

1. shan6 says:

I’m not going to blame Comcast for this one (even though I would love to). But these “men” should be ashamed of themselves. There is no excuse for torturing an animal, especially when you have enough cowardice to do it to a kitten.

2. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

As much as I hate them, Comcast has fuck-all to do with this. Hell, technically I’m a contractor for Comcast. I never see them, rarely speak to them. All they care is if I get the permits to the city for them on time.

3. Kind of negates the happy Comcast story right below, doesn’t it?

4. B says:

What happened to the fourth man?

5. AdmiralApathy says:

The mark of a true man, being able to torture a kitten. Karma is a bitch and I hope it comes back around to them.

6. aloe vera says:

Fucking despicable!

7. The Porkchop Express says:

Funny that a guy named Jesus would do that.

This really has nothing to do with comcast though.

8. muffinpan says:

when you are a contractor to a company you represent them. All of your actions both good and bad reflect on the company you are a contractor to. Damn right it’s Comcasts fault for not having or enforcing a proper code of conduct for their hires.

9. Nighthawke says:

@Jaysyn: Heh. They will now since their name was smeared all over a crime report, associated with a couple of goons.

10. kittenfoo says:

I agree, Comcast doesn’t get the blame for this one. However, I hope the contractor perps are sentenced to be raped up the ass with a chainsaw several times for doing something so patently evil.

11. @muffinpan: you really think a line in the employee contract that said “don’t paint and torture kittens” would have helped? This is bad employees/contractor.

12. Audiyoda says:

Unreal. And I’ll disagree that Comcast has nothing to do with this – they are contracted employees. I contract out work all the time for my employer and I won’t hire a contractor without multiple character and work references. And then I still interview them just to make sure they are up to our standards. This is Comcast finding the cheapest labor they could – and here’s the result. Uncaring asswipes that deserve to have their backsides spray painted in public and then kicked in the face by each member of the LA Galaxy.

13. headhot says:

Working for an MSO, I always said contractors were more harm then good.

Its a race to the bottom, with each contractor trying to under bid the other. Quickly the MSO ends up paying so little for a job, the only people that can get hired to do it at those price are these retards.

14. Ben Popken says:

Comcast has everything to do with it. This is the inevitable outcome of their decision to outsource to the lowest bidder.

15. nataku8_e30 says:

I’m a bit tired of people excusing company’s for their contractor’s behavior. Companies like Comcast use contractors to distance themselves from their employees. They don’t need to pay them the same benefits or carry the same insurance coverage as they would for normal employees. There is no more excuse for hiring mentally deranged contractors than there is for hiring other mentally deranged employees.

16. chemmy says:

maybe i’m just mean but i think part of their punishment should involve them getting the exact same treatment they dished out to a poor kitten

17. humphrmi says:

If Comcast wants a better reputation, they should hire better contractors, or better yet don’t contract out their work.

I’m not saying that I think that Comcast themselves tortured a kitten. But I think they share the blame in that they put these derelicts on people’s streets.

18. I wish penalties for animal cruelty were more severe.

19. kaptainkk says:

Don’t blame Comcast, the people responsible and to blame are Jesus Villalovos’ parents!! Degenerates that can abuse animals like this should be sent to the Philippines to be caned.

20. AndyRogers says:

@chemmy: Yep. I’m an animal guy. I don’t care if it’s a horse, dog, cat, snake or an elephant… the hottest places in hell are reserved for the inhumane…

21. @A.W.E.S.O.M.-O: I second that!

22. HIV 2 Elway says:

What kind of pussy tortures a kitten? Send them to Guantanamo.

23. HIV 2 Elway says:

What kind of pussy tortures a kitten? Send these guys to Guantanamo.
    /second try (shakes fist at work server)

24. crackle says:

This isn’t much of a Consumerist post. I love this website, but sometimes I wonder why some of these subjects come up. Just because it’s got the word “Comcast” written on it doesn’t mean it belongs here.

25. Rajio says:

I like how we’re villifying comcast because some jerks in their employ kicked about a kitten. All companies should perform mandatory psychological profiles on potential employees and customers to ensure this never happens again.

Lest we forget.

This isn’t even a ‘bad consumer’ post. this is a ‘bad consumerist’ post, if there ever was one.

26. Bye says:

Ben is absolutely correct. Although we all know Comcast would never endorse kitten-torture, the mere fact that they don’t care what kind of contractors they hire as long as they’ll work CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP results in unpredictable and despicable people being hired.

Based on their history, I would encourage all single women with kittens to have another person present at all times when calling Comcast out to do ANYTHING.

27. snoop-blog says:

As much as this has to do with comcast. I highly doubt this would sway anyones decision when getting cable. You see, everybody outsources to the lowest bidder so that way there can be no lesser of evils. It’s the newest form of monopoly.@Ben Popken:

28. muffinpan says:

@ Tracy Ham And Eggs: Your a meatball. Is the concept of a company demanding proper conduct from a contractor too difficult for you to understand? From your post I guess so. Try to bring your posts to at least a non mentally handicapped level.

29. crackle says:

@Ben Popken: You can’t be serious. This kind of thing is possible no matter which ‘bidder’ Comcast would have selected. You think crime and abuse is isolated to the lowest rungs of society? Also, what makes you think that it chose the ‘lowest bidder’, the picture of a Mexican with a bitter demeanor? I went to an expensive private school, and I had friends from public school. The kids I went to school with were assholes and brutal to animals, and many of my friends in the public system are people that I deeply admire.

Please don’t make unbased assumptions, it seriously dectracts from your reputation and that of your website’s credibility.

30. freepistol says:

wow, contractors that kick kittens.

isnt that just the epitome of evil.

31. crabbyman6 says:

Are you kidding me, blaming this on Comcast?? Its not like their CEO was out there kicking kittens, then I could understand. So what you people are saying is that the company people work for is responsible for any action taken by the employee. In this world of yours any crime ever committed is, at least in part, the employers fault for not properly screening the employee? Its not like this is the only crime ever committed, I don’t see you blaming Safeway for employing Ted Bundy or how about UC Berkley for hiring the Unabomber or any other person who has had a job and committed a crime. Darn employers aren’t screening enough, more personal contact, blah blah blah, its not going to make a difference for the company, you never know what someone’s capable of even if you’re married to them. Now, I hate Comcast too, but this is really a stretch how does this really help joe(or josephine) everyman?

I completely agree that this is despicable and these people should be severely punished, but come on.

32. muffinpan says:

What division of Comcast do you think Crackle works for. LOL, good try Crackle

33. battra92 says:

Kind of makes me glad that when Adelphia kicked the bucket Time Warner and Comcast both bid on our area and Time Warner won.

I work for a utility company and it’s a little different I know but our service guys are second to none. The company goes out of its way to make sure that people are kind, courteous and helpful and everyone is always reminded “If we don’t take care of our customers, somebody else will.”

Comcast needs to overhaul their private contractor and put more control over them or at least contract to a company that does.

34. B says:

@crackle: Higher paying employers can afford to better screen their employees, thus weeding out employees who think torturing animals or racing vans while on the clock is a good idea. This is just a symptom of a larger problem of Comcast hiring contractors who don’t feel the need to do their jobs. Which is why we end up with customers waiting all day for a service tech who never shows.

35. spinachdip says:

@Jaysyn: “Comcast has fuck-all to do with this” seems to contradict with “Hell, technically I’m a contractor for Comcast. I never see them, rarely speak to them” and “All they care is if I get the permits to the city for them on time”.

36. gqcarrick says:

Quality people they are hiring at Comcast contract workers. Maybe some of those crazy PETA people will protest in front of Comcast headquarters in the Pits of Hell, or wherever their headquarters is.

37. snoop-blog says:

The biggest problem with they way all these companies do business is their ‘outsourcing’. The fact that any of these cable companies can hide behind the excuse that they do not employ, manage, or have any controll over the conduct of these so called contractors is bull-shit. And get real if you think any of these companies would take responsibility for the indirect actions.

@Ben Popken: That is the reason some on here are not blaming Comcast.

38. MissPeacock says:

@A.W.E.S.O.M.-O: Agreed. To me, it’s just about tantamount to child abuse. In both cases you are taking advantage of a helpless creature. Just awful, awful, awful.

39. mookiemookie says:

When I’m emperor of the world, I’ll be reinstituting Hammurabi’s code for animal cruelty cases.

40. bohemian says:

I do blame Comcast for this. This guy is a contractor. He has at least some level of access to people’s homes. Either outside line work or (gasp) inside your house. Seriously, torturing animals is usually an indicator of far worse behavior that person could be capable.

Comcast is complicit because they are not employing any sort of standards in hiring contractors. I have seen it happen in the tech industry. When they start just looking for the cheapest labor or lowest bidder this is what is left. Those that are incapable or so deranged they can’t pass muster to be employed elsewhere. Good employees/contractors leave because they have other options if the company is going to pay peanuts.

This guy deserves some animal cruelty with a baseball bat.

41. raidi0head says:

“Maybe some of those crazy PETA people will protest in front of Comcast headquarters in the Pits of Hell, or wherever their headquarters is.”

I think their HQ is in the Pits of Hell neighborhood in Philadelphia. Right next to the River Styx, Purgatory Row, and the Cheesesteak District.

42. Zenne says:

These guys probably would have done it if they were employed by Comcast or not, but I think I’m starting to understand why this is on the Consumerist – what does it say about their hiring process? Along the lines of “Who else can slip through the hiring process of giant corporation that many, many people have to deal with,” sometimes not by choice depending on the location, pricing, or any other number of factors. I can’t find mention of what they did, may be missing it, but what if guys like these ended up in people’s homes?

They could have legitimately not had any warning signs for anyone to be able to catch reasonably, but what is the likelihood that they have some kind of history? Considering that they spray-painted and tortured a kitten, somehow it doesn’t seem like an activity that grown men would randomly feel like doing after a perfect history and go “Hey, this is a great idea!” Possible, for all the nay-sayers, but highly improbable.

43. crackle says:

@muffinpan: Gotta love conspiracy theorists.

@B: The White House has pretty limitless resources for checking their employee’s backgrounds, and that didn’t prevent Scotty McClellan from smearing the entire right wing in a matter of minutes. My point is that a company isn’t morally responsible for it’s employee’s actions. I don’t mean it’s not liable – and this guy should get at a minimum fired. But this guy was going to spray paint a kitten one day or another, if he worked for Comcast, for Jetblue, for Amazon, or for no one.

Comcast would only be responsible if it had enabled this individual to do what he did. And it didn’t. Unless it was part of the cable install… which would be actually kind of funny. Just because someone shows poor moral turpitude doesn’t make them unemployable. At some point, this person was getting a job, and that employer is now stuck with a moran that puts his face in the media.

44. crackle says:

@bohemian: Do you have any evidence of this? Show me where it states that there are no standards of employment. You must know, because you’re in the ‘tech industry’.

For the record, I actually hate Comcast, their views on DRM, their throttling of the Bittorrent protocol, their shilling of public net neutrality meetings, the word ‘comcastic’, their awkwardly shaped cable box remotes, their pricing, and their anti-consumer stance. But I cannot denounce them for this.

45. pengie says:

Reading some of the comments above, I would say that it makes some sense to point the finger at Comcast if these guys were actually on the clock while abusing the kitten. If they were just strolling around town kicking kittens and puppies at midnight, it’d be harder to do so–it becomes “they just so happened to work for Comcast” instead of “they were on a job site and stopped to spray paint a cat.” Obviously it’s no fault of the CEO directly, but IMO it does speak volumes about the kind of people that the company is willing to hire (even if they are contracters).

46. crabbyman6 says:

@crackle: I agree completely, there are plenty of crimes committed where you never hear of the employer and limitless background checks can’t weed out all the weirdos in the world. This whole post strikes me as borderline libelous.

And for the people saying its because they’re low paid making them more likely to commit a crime, you think that lawyers, college professors or anyone else has never committed a crime worse than this? Are they low paid? Do you blame THEIR employer? The Unabomber RESIGNED from UC Berkley, not was fired and he’s practically the definition of a nut job.

47. Annewhodidntlikeproflowers says:

i really, really appreciate consumerist and the impact it’s made; but your content is going from logical to illogical and bitter.

comcast is not to blame for the disgusting treatment of the kitten – if anything, you could have questioned their process of hiring contract employees.

i hope you continue to publish good stuff from the logical, non-bitter thoughtful blogging standpoint that you should – this is just stupid namecalling.

48. freshyill says:

Please stop conflating the actions of some idiot Comcast employees with Comcast. Every time you say something stupid like this, it dilutes your effectiveness when Comcast actually does something. Pick your battles a little more carefully.

49. bleh says:

Comcast has zero interest quality control over its installers. They don’t care if the guys on the vans knock uneeded holes in walls, block traffic, run over lawns and now we can add animal abuse to the long list of everything that is wrong with Comcast as a company.

50. crackle says:

@worksintheory: yet another thoughtless, angry post. do you actually think that what you said makes any sense? if it did, then comcast would go for ex-cons and retards to REALLY boost its profit margins. I’m calling comcast with a great idea – let’s go to the internet, go to the public sex offenders list for an area, and call them all up for a job opportunity. I’m sure they’ll take it, hell, they’ll be glad to get paid $1 an hour if they have a chance to be in someone’s home and sniff their underwear.

51. crabbyman6 says:

@crackle: Not that I necessarily agree with the angry reply, but this post made me L-O-L.

52. joellevand says:

This is the most horrible story I’ve read on here in a while. It makes me want to cry. :(

53. RokMartian says:

I blame the kitten. Tabby cats are notorious for scratching and biting.

The cat must have deserved it.

54. dry-roasted-peanuts says:

Blaming this on Comcast is about as rational as blaming 9/11 on Muslims.

55. skrame ? says:

I thought that user “Comcastanon” would be in here defending them…

(Comcast, not the kitten-kickers)

56. yurkinator says:

BREAKING NEWS, someone does something bad and breaks the law. Oh yeah, they have a job and work for a company!

57. asphix20 says:

I’m no fan of comcast (believe me.. I’ve happily switched to DSL recently and couldn’t be happier!)… but how does this get directed at comcast?

I honestly dont see, and if someone could enlighten me I’d appreciate it. Is it common practice for corporations to be responsible for everything their employees do–even if its completely un-related to the job–as long as they’re on the clock?

I could understand the headline, “comcast employees kick kitten to death”… but the, “We are speechless, Comcast. We suppose when there are no little girls to run over, you resort to torturing a kitten. Bravo.” at the end is a bit confusing to me.. it’s like this was comcast’s decision and not that of the men responsible…

58. strangeffect says:

Agreeing with all the This Ain’t Comcast’s Fault comments.

Would like to know these guys’ thoughts on being spray painted and beaten themselves.

59. hhole says:

In high school I remember listening to a local punk band band named “Kick a Kitten for Christ”. Looks like I finally figured out where their 4 piece band ended up.

And can The Consumerist please leave these stories for Monday and not bum me out so much right before the weekend? Danka.

60. HIV 2 Elway says:

@muffinpan: Do you have no sense of humor? Recognize a joke when you see one.

61. Benny Gesserit says:

@B: I’m not done painting and kicking him yet.

62. B says:

@pengie: They were, in fact, on the clock working for Comcast at the time of the incident.

63. Disturbedearth says:

href=”#c5950255″>crackle:

I have to disagree here. When you are “on the clock” for an organization – you do completely represent that organization – regardless of being a FTE or contractor.

While I understand that Comcast didn’t order this doosh bag to directly abuse an animal. They are still responsible for the actions of their employees and contractors during normal working hours.

While they didn’t directly commit this crime, they also clearly did nothing to prevent it. IE hiring/screening process, background checks etc… They are sending these people out to our HOMES. If someone will do that to an animal – what does that say about what they are capable of with your wife/GF/child?

You better Friggin’ believe they are responsible by NOT working to weed these people out and caring only about the bottom line.

I, personally, will not let my wife be home alone whenever we have anything done to our home. It only takes one bad incident to change your life forever.

64. Trai_Dep says:

A three-month-old old kitten is the size of a puff-ball.
    Geezus, words can’t describe.

65. Jabberkaty says:

@Ben Popken: Er, in their bid request did it include a sub clause for d-bags who like to spray paint kitties, and a bonus for kicking the crap out of them? Please submit your sealed bid, with favorite form of animal torture to Comcast, 123 Fake Street, box 000, Notown, NY, 99999-5555.

This type of behavior might be screened if there’s a BG check, but that’s no guarantee. How often are people who are cruel to animals caught and prosecuted – JV records get sealed. I could see a consumerist story if Comcast hired these guys back, or after such a crime was committed. It doesn’t look like they’re going to stand up for these jerks.

66. Disturbedearth says:

And for the record, I’d gladly give a years salary for 10 minutes alone with the waist of air that comitted this crime and all his gutless little assclown buddies that supported it.

67. mikelotus says:

@chemmy: in other words, you are no better than they are.

68. VikingP77 says:

Sickos!

69. mikelotus says:

@kittenfoo: i think your recommendation shows that you are more evil than they are.

70. crackle says:

@Disturbedearth: Another reference to ‘no background checks’. Did you work for Comcast as a contractor once and was told one was not required?

71. mikelotus says:

@MissPeacock: no its not. perhaps this world would be a much better place if people got worked up with the things that happen to their fellow humans a little bit more. You can start with Dafur, the China earthquake, Burma, Zimbabwe, etc. Let us know what you have done to help a child there or at least what you have done to pressure your government to do more.

72. boss_lady says:

@A.W.E.S.O.M.-O: Anyone that injurs or inflicts pain up something or someone that is unable to defend themselves has obvious psychological problems, and should be forcefully detained and reformed.

73. @mikelotus: So just because there are lots of tragedies everywhere, we’re not allowed to get worked up about a defenseless animal being kicked around? I don’t care how many 3rd world children you donate money to; if you are okay with the preventable abuse of any creature that is capable of feeling pain, you should turn in your human race membership card.

74. Disturbedearth says:

@crackle: Actually yes – they were a client of mine in the past. They are a lot better at collecting their money than they are at paying their bills.

75. crackle says:

@Disturbedearth: Then you must be a potential criminal, if you worked for Comcast.

76. veterandem says:

@Disturbedearth: If you’re only going for 10 minutes, give me the other 23h 50m. Kicking a kitten. Well 7+ years of constant absorption of torture (from Reichstag D.C. to the torture porn of Saw I-IV.

If my wife see’s this, she’s gonna want to go adopt another cat (we’ve got 4). Oy!

77. ameyer says:

Could be worse, they had an installer here in Chicago who murdered a customer, and was still allowed to go to people’s homes to install cable.

Somewhat unsurprisingly, he did it again.

78. boss_lady says:

@mikelotus: Regardless of whether or not hurting an animal is ‘equal’ to hurting a child, the fact remains that the person who would perform such an act is clearly someone who needs reform of some kind, whether it be in a prison or a psychological facility. In the DSM-IV, behaviour like this is classified as Antisocial Personality Disorder, on the third axis of five for disordered brain function:

“Symptoms of antisocial personality disortder include:
    -Tendency to violate the rights and boundaries of others (property, physical, sexual, emotional, legal)
    -Aggressive, often violent behavior; prone to getting involved in fights
    -Disregard for the safety of self or others
    -Lack of remorse, related to hurting others”

If disordered behaviours are left untreated and undiagnosed, it has been the ‘norm’ that acts of violence like this (kitten beating) lead to more severe violent crimes. The fact of the matter here is that yes, there are horrifying ang gut-churning atrocities going on at a global level every day, but if we can prevent further violence within our country, then aren’t we doing good by ensuring that people like these three men receive psychological counselling, in the least, to prevent furture acts of violence?

Then again, with the justice system being the way it is, they’d likely serve a couple weeks, if any.

79. Disturbedearth says:

@crackle: LOL… Maybe. But they were a “Client” not an employer.

80. grumpygirl says:

comcast is evil in this situation by NOT coming out saying that they will FIRE these people if they are guilty of these crimes. saying they’ll take “appropriate action” is corporate bullshit

81. snoop-blog says:

@Ben Popken: I understand what you are trying to convey about the contracted labor, but it’s a very very thin line that connects those dots. I’ve been a consumerist reader for longer than I’ve been a commenter and I feel like you need a vacation. You just seem so out of touch and bitter compared to you a year ago. Lately here, I’ve been questioning weather the Consumerist is biased in the companies they condemn. I think any regular reader could probably pick your 5 most hated (for whatever reason you hate them) companies. This would be like saying it’s the banks fault that they got robbed on an inside job. There’s no way to know exactly who sick in the head someone is. Just two days ago they arrested a 70 year old man in my community for molesting a 12 year old boy he met at the mall. This man was a highly respected retired school principle. He owned a jewlry store in that mall. Not the sicko you probably imagined when you read the headline huh? You were probably visioning a crazy old cook that talks to himself and hands out lollipops. Makes you wonder at 70 years old, how long has he been doing this and getting away with it?

82. weakdome says:

“Every time you order from Comcast, one of their Contractors kills a kitten”

83. zumdish says:

They should at least name the kitten “Fios”.

84. dragonfire81 says:

Although comcast is not in any way to blame for the actions of these men, the fact remains their name is connected to this story and these men did represent Comcast during their daily work routines. You can’t say Comcast is completely off the hook here.

Why not make a pre-emptive strike and say “Effective immediately, we have terminated our business relationship with the contractor involved in this incident, We have absolutely zero tolerance for individuals who behave in this manner and will not allow them to continue representing our company.”

Not that Comcast’s public image isn’t already shot to hell, but this would help it a little.

85. GothamGal says:

Can’t we kick Jesus out of the country for this even if he is an American citizen?

86. celloperson says:

I work for them, and OMFG that is horrible. A lot of us adopt these animals, and to know that our techs (or contractors, I dont know who they are) are doing this. Someone should spray paint them and kick them in the balls or something.

87. drunxor says:

the same thing X10 should be done to them. Class b misdeameanor? bullshit

Oh yea, and im getting AT&T installed on sunday to replace my $160 comcast :)

88. ShadowFalls says:

Comcast has only a minor responsibility regarding this, mostly having to do with these contractors being representatives for the company. Comcast should be taking care of all expenses for the kitten.

In the end here, it is the people who are responsible, kicking around a kitten and spray painting it? There is no excuse for that, I do not even know what was going through these people’s heads when they decided to go and do it…

89. baristabrawl says:

@AndyRogers: Ditto. I hate snakes, I know no greater fear but I can’t kill them and I don’t want other people to do it, either. I’m usually just happy running away.

I have an especially weak spot for cats.

90. WhiteTrashLegend says:

There’s a special place in hell reserved for these guys.

91. geoffhazel says:

I saw a squirrel flattened on the side of the road yesterday. Now I wonder if a Contractor in a Comcast truck ran it over on purpose…..

92. Ariel.Sanders says:

I hope Lou Dobbs doesnt see this because if so; I feel for undocumented Mexicans. Comcast deserves everything bad. I hate that people earn a living from them, thats the only reason I let them continue as a company.

93. cstx says:

This is terrible! I just don’t get how people do things like this…Comcast, maybe you should be a little more careful about who your contractors are. :(

94. pengie says:

@B: Thank you, I wasn’t sure if that had been stated or not.

I’m glad the kitten’s going to be okay.

95. chica_girl55 says:

There is one good thing about this case; animal cruelty was just made a felony offence in Utah so this guy certainly isn’t going to be hurting any more kitties for a long time.

96. humphrmi says:

I see a definate swing from “attack the victim” to “attack the messenger” going on here. Those of you who don’t like what Consumerist has to say, should go somewhere else.

@dry-roasted-peanuts: That is not a logical argument. Muslims do not have the ability to decide who else becomes Muslims, it’s a religion, not a company. They don’t have the power to weed out the bad apples who claim to be Muslims but endorse or promote killing.

Comcast, on the other hand, has complete control over who they hire as contractors and has the ability to hire better ones. Except that would cost them more money.

97. crackle says:

@humphrmi: or you could stfu and let people say what they want to say.

98. Machina says:

Comcast contractors?

So, when will they be sent back to Mexico?

99. littlemoose says:

As a kitten owner this broke my heart. I hate to threadjack, but it’s another good reason to keep your cats inside — you never know what kind of crazy animal-abusing people are out there.

100. humphrmi says:

@crackle:

or you could stfu and let people say what they want to say.

yet another thoughtless, angry post.

I’m not a moderator. People can say what they want, and I can’t stop them. But I can say stfu. Just like you.

101. pal003 says:

So glad the kitten will be ok. Hopefully the animal cruelty charge is a felony with serious punishment. Disappointed that the other 2 don’t get harsher charges – if you don’t stop animal abuse – you are just as guilty.

And I am sure Comcast (and many other Corporations) can find better contractors if they wanted to.

102. battra92 says:

@mikelotus: I totally agree. Seriously, all animals combined do not equal the net worth of one child.

You don’t even need to go as far as overseas. Plenty of children are abused at home or in foster care. I don’t mean spankings, I mean the really serious abuse.

Still reprehensible to hurt a cat. Hopefully the guy gets put away for a while. I vote they put him on a chain gang or something.

103. ahwannabe says:

@mikelotus: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Every time there’s an animal cruelty story, we can always count the seconds until some self-righteous windbag makes a “but what about PEOPLE?” type post. Here’s a thought: if you are so indifferent to animal cruelty, please feel free to skip right past these stories and focus your energy to helping the humans you care so much about.

Oh, but that would deprive you of a soapbox. Never mind.

104. chewiemeat says:

People like this need to be imprisoned for the rest of their lives. If they’ll do this shit to a poor harmless animal, there is no limit to what they’d do to a person. This is also a good example of when it is appropriate to form a mob and purge someone from society as an entire group.

105. mythago says:

Sorry, not following the absurd argument that since Comcast can’t screen out 100% of the bad apples, it’s wrong to expect them to screen out any.

106. BunnieGirlz says:

This makes me so stabby… bastards!!!

107. gravedi66er says:

If I would have seen this, the cops would have an additional arrest for assault on their hands.

108. motojen says:

I take great comfort in the knowledge that those bastards will die some day. Hopefully sooner than later.

109. Aphex242 says:

Blaming Comcast for this is dopey. However, these guys should be spray painted in the face and kicked to death.

110. LUV2CattleCall says:

To all the abortions who got away that think that Comcast isn’t responsible:

I work for an airline

We contract out some of our flying to regional airlines…

Those regional jets have our name on them (just like these contractors use Comcast paperwork, etc)

If the pilots of a regional jet decided to…I dunno…not check the compass and takeoff from the wrong runway, plowing into a cornfield and killing all the pax onboard, who do you think the families are going to (rightfully) be mad at?

We sold them the service…and they could care less who flies our jets, who fuels them up, and who flips the burgers for the employees of our tire supplier…. It’s up to us to check everyone out and if they don’t comply, pick other people to do the job.

Sure we (and Comcast) save money by contracting out….but we have to be prepared to accept any/all risk for the contractors being dumbasses. Comcast is ignorant to think otherwise…

While I am as far as can be from a tin-foil-hatter, I would certainly think twice before allowing a Comcast contractor to come to my place when my gf is the only one home. If I were the CEO of company where my clients feared/mistrusted my employees, priority #1 would be to do whatever it takes to rectify the problem. Too bad Brian Roberts doesn’t think the same…

111. lestat730 says:

As someone who really enjoys having pets and loves them like family, reading things like this makes me feel quite sick. How the hell can there be people out there capable of doing things like this? These guys are very disturbed and are exactly the type who needs to be institutionalized.

112. mythago says:

If (and bear with me here for a minute) a Comcast contractor provides fantastic service, does Comcast tell the grateful customer “Oh, no, don’t give us any of the credit; that’s just an independent contractor, and we don’t check up to make sure that they’re competent and friendly”? Is it wrong to credit Comcast for hiring such a contractor?

Since the honest answers are no and no, then why is it so awful to hold Comcast responsible for which contractors it chooses to employ?

113. Peeved Guy says:

@LUV2CattleCall:
    To all the abortions who got away that think that Comcast isn’t responsible:

That’s keepin’ it classy!

It’s comments like that that make me dislike this page more with each passing day.

And RE your analogy, it sucks. I loath people who abuse animals almost as much as I loath people who abuse kids, but some lowlifes abusing a kitten != a deranged pilot killing a plane load of people.

114. god_forbids says:

@muffinpan: While the actions may ‘reflect’ on Comcast, there is no legal liability for the actions of contract workers like there is for regular employees and agents. FYI.

115. u1itn0w2day says:

On one hand it’s not Comcast’s fault but as was pointed out if they were representing Comcast on the clock for them they are responsible.The contractors are still working for Comcast so if nothing else Comcast should be reviewing the contractors procedurs and practices regularly.They should also know if the contractors use or used sub contractors.The work was done in Comcasts name so they are at least partially to blame.

This would’ve been much less likely to happen if a Comcast hourly employee had been out there.Hourly employees with benefits have much more at stake and are less likely to risk their employement.

116. phate says:

@pal003: Actually it will be the utah state senate passed Senate Bill 297 (more info here [animalcruelty.utahhumane.org]) making it officially a felony to do such things. Penalty is 5 years in prison and a $5000 fine.

What a jackass though, why would you do that to a cat, no less a kitten. What did it do to you, bite and scratch? Gonna be a big man and teach it a lesson? Well hope you enjoy your human booster shot from a guy names Molly ;)

117. Breach says:

Wow, and I thought all the “Comcast kills kittens and sleeps with your mother” jokes were just a joke…they look to be cementing their reputation.

Though, it isnt Comcast’s fault these guys are total assholes, though it still looks bad.

118. BurnZ_ says:

whats the big deal? Its a damn stray cat, and would have probably been better off dead than roaming the streets killing song birds and annoying the residents.