Reach Tier 2 And 3 Support At Verizon Wireless

One more number to add to the Verizon Wireless Executive Rolodex: 866-237-9122.

Reader Sean writes:

After being disconnected from Verizon Wireless’ regular support line about three times in a row, I did some digging and got a phone number for their tier 3 voice support, and tier 2 data support. They both use the same number. These people actually know what they are doing and get things fixed. Also, they can authorize overnight RMA’s without having to go ask their boss. No long phone tree either!

(Photo: northernplateguy)

Comments

1. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

Now can we get those numbers for Comcast perhaps?

2. linbey says:

The fact that we have to look for numbers like this is horrible. Verizon should have all their customer service reps be this knowledgeable and helpful. If they would hire more of these people and pay them well and then ditch the outsourced garbage they may actually SAVE money by not wasting millions training new reps every week since the job has a huge turnover. I read somewhere that tech support jobs have a turnover over of nearly 90% in the first month

3. wesa says:

Cue a million customers calling Tier 2 and Tier 3 for really simple problems that really should go to Tier 1, thus clogging the phone lines to Tier 2/3.

4. humphrmi says:

@wesa: It’s their own fault. If we could reliably call Tier 1 with a complicated problem and get appropriate escalation within a reasonable amount of time in one phone call, using secret numbers to bypass Tier 1 would not be necessary.

5. Saydur says:

Most people have simple problems that require a hand-holding script, because they can and will lie about troubleshooting because they don’t want to put forth any effort. If the pay or the call quotas don’t push tier 1 reps away, the idiocy and outright abuse from customers do.

Most people just want a tech sent out without even troubleshooting. Of course, the techs they send out are hardware contractors, most people overlook that. They want a tier 2 software tech at their house within the hour. Of course, they don’t want to pay what that would reasonably cost. After all, $40/month for services should pay for house calls by a skilled professional every two weeks, right? Right?

No, direct-calling tier 2 support is as irresponsible as e-mailing executives over a missing order of fries at McDonalds. Go through the line like everybody else, or just wait until the “experienced” tech support is always busy. Would you rather have things be Microsoft’s way, where the tech support is very capable and helpful, and charges you through the nose for every call?

6. linbey says:

@Saydur:

I think many people would be willing to pay $10 or $20 to skip the non English speaking outsourced flip chart reader and get a knowledgeable and helpful tech support reprensentative

7. ashabanapal says:

@Saydur:

That is exactly the attitude that makes tier 1 service unpleasant for most. If you actually manage to get to a person without being disconnected, they are unable or unwilling to actually hold a technical conversation beyond a script. If companies would stop assuming their customers are drooling mongoloids and stop making language a barrier in a purely voice environment, they would find, as in the case of companies like zappos, that their customer base becomes a fan base. I do not claim that there aren’t abusive or pointless calls, I know better. I worked for a couple of years taking inbound calls. My point is that if any company’s service strategy is based around unnecessary calls, they are doing a huge disservice to those reasonable, intelligent customers who actually need help and to their call center employees who need positive support.

8. KeithApsyrtus says:

Saydur:

I’m the one who sent in the tip. Here’s why:
    Multiple techs disconnected me as soon as I had gotten to a person. I would hear a split second of ambient background call-center noise, and then nothing. Once I got to a person who didn’t disconnect me, he gave me patently false information (he said I needed to add an EIN number on my Exchange server, which is BS.). After I let him know I knew that wasn’t the problem, he put me on hold “just for a sec” then promptly disconnected me. Calling back, people refused to give me the tier 2 number, even though I’d spent 90 minutes getting nowhere.
    I’m okay with people skipping all that. I actually got some help eventually, and I’d like for others to as well.

Cheers.

9. kevinbyrne says:

@ashabanapal: I am a tier 3 voice/ tier 2 data/ blackberry and pda specialist. I know most customers hate dealing with tier 1, but usually it is a necessary evil. I cannot tell you how many times some customer called in, ignored all the prompts and got straight to my department -and the 20 minute queue wait to reach us- just to complain about a bill, or how to turn a phone on.

Tier 1 is there to filter out the non-tech questions, the feature changes, the simple how to’s, and let people with legitimate issues that need advanced assistance go to the specialists. If you call direct to upper tiers with the express purpose to avoid ‘the morons in tier 1′ you increase the hold time for everyone who genuinely needs help. Not to mention the level of assistance you will receive will not usually be on par as a properly escalated call would be, because to be perfectly honest, we are becoming more and more burdened by calls that tier 1 should handle. We will fix your issue, but forget about any courtesy airtime credits or adjustments, tier 1 is much more generous.

We do not outsource to foreign countries, all our call centers are here in the U.S. Our tier 1 front line associates are very well trained in tier 1 troubleshooting. They do not have scripts to read off of, there is no flip chart they have to follow. They can fix around 80% of the troubleshooting most customers require. Sure, some aren’t the brightest and some simply don’t care about your issue, but the majority of them truly know their jobs.

Saydur and Wesa summed it all up very well. If you need help call 1-800-922-0204, follow the PROPER voice prompts, explain the issue to the rep and be assured that you will be handled properly. Do not clog up the lines to the higher tiers, all it will do is increase hold times and not get your problem fixed any sooner.

10. MisterE87 says:

@kevinbyrne:

Kudos. As a tech rep (formerly WDTS)that came over from care, I can say 80% of issues can be resolved by Tier 1 troubleshooting. People don’t understand that in many cases, the tier 2 and 3 reps aren’t even well versed in this troubleshooting because they expect it to be done before a cusotmer reaches them. When customers bypass Tier 1 completely, they place a burden on the rep and make the call longer than it actually should have been. I’ve gotten many calls that just come directly to me, jump into advanced troubleshooting or ask a customer to perform a soft reset, and find out they’re on the phone! Tier 1!

In the poster’s issue, he had already finished this and been disconnected several times, so I understand him wanting to connect to Tier 2 directly. In most cases however, this will just make things worse.

The IVR will take you directly where you need to go, anyway. If you select the options for tech support, then blackberry for instance, you will skip Tier 1 right off the bat. The phone tree exists to route the call to the queues that have been trained to follow certain procedures. Trust it!

11. jlmccor says:

I think that many peoples misconception is that the whole purpose of customer service is to troubleshoot equipment here on the consumerist, when a majority of my day is reviewing bills, adding or changing features, ordering equipment, changing calling plans, as well as making sure that the customer have the proper expectations set regarding any changes that have been made. Tier One is there during an equipment issue to ask the customer to soft reset the phone, complete a PRL update, and checking billing codes to insure that nothing simple is causing the problem. It is not that Tier One does not want to help; frankly, I would rather have a 3 min call regarding PIX/FLIX issue than a 15 min call going over billing disputes, which happened more often than not. By the way, most every dispute, except a great few, are caused by people failing to take responsibility. If everyone checked their mins or texting before the end of their cycle (or even if the cared to know their cycle date) it would reduce the need to call in tenfold as we can take care of the problem and if you don’t like to speak with customer service there is always on-line.

12. arl84 says:

@Saydur: You are absolutely right. Amen.

I work in tech support too, and everybody wants to bypass tier 1. Everybody. Sure, there’s a lot of monkeys at the desks in tier 1, but you have to go through it just like everyone else. I really hope people use this phone number responsibly, like, when you can’t get help through tier 1.

I’m in tier 2, and I can’t tell you how many calls I get, even “escalations” from the tier 1 reps when they don’t do basic troubleshooting. Basic stuff that tier 1 is trained to handle. Sometimes we have a lot of calls for this reason. Please people, please… don’t be lazy customers. Please call Tier 1 first.