As if you needed a reason not to wear Crocs, here’s another story of a kid whose foot got caught in an escalator while wearing the damn things. The kid was fine, the escalator was repaired, the bottom of the Croc is chewed up, and “Crocs stands by its design.” [CBS5.com]

Comments

1. BlondeGrlz says:

Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don’t hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent – I don’t care which one – but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator.

2. Pylon83 says:

@BlondeGrlz:
    “Escalators are dangerous, complicated pieces of machinery. They are to be feared. You NEVER underestimate what an escalator can do. They are like Lions and Tigers, wild animals whose actions cannot be anticipated. FEAR THE ESCALATOR!!!”

3. SaveMeJeebus says:

+1 for the Mallrats reference!

4. linbey says:

The same thing could happen with ANY sandal/flip flop. You cant blame Crocs just because they are ugly. This should be blamed on the kid for not paying attention or on the parent for not teaching him about escalators. What happened to personal responsibility in this country

5. donkeyjote says:

@linbey: No, because Crocs use like super rubber for traction like a motherf…. Crocs are design not to slip or rip, which means bad things when metal teeth get into it.

That they are ugly is just icing.

6. laserjobs says:

I love this guys take on Crocs

“Crocs look like shit and they make your feet smell.”
    [www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net]

7. Shutaro says:

Please tell me somebody is taking this seriously…

8. yagisencho says:

On those rare occasions where we let our preschool-aged daughter wear her Crocs to the mall, we hold her during escalator mount/dismount. Tada.

9. MissTicklebritches says:

I love my Crocs and I know better than to smoonch myself against the side of the escalator. Geez.

10. cynu414 says:

If you fear for your child, don’t let them wear Crocs. Case closed.

11. donkeyjote says:

@cynu414: And if you fear your child….

12. homerjay says:

“Crocs stands by its design.”

They won’t be doing much standing if they get THEIR feet stuck in an escalator!

13. Floobtronics says:

What a crock.

Analysis of the gripping power of the materials used to make crocs aside, the exact same thing can happen no matter what kind of shoe a kid is wearing.

This is like calling for a boycott of shorts because kids are skinning their knees.

14. Letsgohokies says:

My Crocs are comfortable as hell and cheaper than my Birkenstocks which are also very comfortable. I don’t see how this is a Crocs issue, it sounds like a flipflop/rubber shoe issue. Personal responsibility ftw.

15. Rajio says:

I hear rollerblades don’t work so well on escalators either. Careful kids.

16. donkeyjote says:

@Floobtronics: Don’t you mean, “What a Croc”

17. Me - now with more humidity says:

They’re incredibly comfortable, especially for my plantar fasciatis. Just stay off the damned escalator — how tough is that?

18. Annika-Lux says:

The problem isn’t the shoes, the problem is dumbass kids who don’t know how to get on and off an escalator.

19. pwillow1 says:

I remember the days when there used to be posted warnings on escalators about passengers not wearing tennis shoes and similar shoegear (plus not to bring strollers, etc.)

If someone riding the escalator is standing close to the non-moving side of the escalator, the rubber of their shoes can rub against the side, get heated, and then get dragged down into the opening between the moving stairs and the non-moving side.

I watched this demonstrated on a TV show about escalator hazards years ago, and up until that point, I had always considered those escalator warnings about shoegear kind of over the top. After seeing how a foot could get dragged into the moving machinery, I changed my mind.

But now that I think of it, I haven’t seen one of those warning signs on escalators lately. Are they still being used?

I really don’t see this incident as being the fault of Crocs, though. Children should be supervised on an escalator and not allowed to play or “drag” their feet as the stairs move.

20. roseland says:

45 Years ago it happened to a young cousin of mine wearing galoshes! Yes, those big ugly galoshes kids wore but hated.
    The cousin was told after that by the entire family, not just his mom, to be careful where he puts his feet, escalators are not toys in a playground.
    Back all those years ago parents considered it their responsibility to keep their kids safe and teach them necessary things… now seems things have changed.

21. P_Smith says:

This I do not understand. Who *doesn’t* look down as they get near the top of an escalator? Darwin Award candidates?

The heel of that Crock-of-shit got caught in the part of an esclatator that doesn’t move. Did the kid expect the escalator to push him off at the top? I’ve lost count of kids and adults falling over at the top because they didn’t notice the end of the track. And what parent doesn’t watch what their kids are doing? Kids don’t always look, so parents should.

This belongs with the “hair in the go-kart” story under _personal responsibility_. The…footwear (for lack of a better word) is poorly made, but that doesn’t excuse people not paying attention to their own safety.

22. Me - now with more humidity says:

Crocs are not poorly made. I have two pairs that I’ve worn almost daily for two years now and they’re holding up a helluva lot better than my New Balance running shoes do after three months.

23. AcidReign says:

Rollerblading down the “up” escalator is actually a lot of fun! On some escalators, too, there is a strip of metal on each side of the stair part, that does not move. You can put your wheels on the strips, and sail downhill. And there’s a nice rubber handrail if you screw up!

24. donkeyjote says:

@Me: It’s kinda hard to fuck up a single injection molded product, short of bad chemical mixes.

Shoes on the other hand, have all these weakpoints where they are sewed and the fabric, by it’s nature, gets easier to separate over time.

25. Witera33it says:

crocs are jelly shoes of this generation. They may be comfortable but they are the most hideous things in existence. They make a well dressed person look like they’re homeless. But, this isn’t about crimes against fashion, it’s about teaching people to respect the escalator. As many other have said, hold your child’s hand, pay attention. Oh, and don’t let them wear crocs. It’s just mean.

26. Dick.Blake says:

I’ve never worn a pair, but they’re god-awful looking and smell atrocious. But then again, I’m not a big sandal/looking at people’s feet person.

On the escalator note… I had the fear of them instilled into me as a kid. I couldn’t bring myself to even step onto one. My mother had to pick me up and place me on a step until I learned to co-exist with the escalator.

That was also in the 80′s, when parents were actually raised their kids instead this Gen-X trend of birthing the kid and giving him a stupid name like Dylan or Skylar, hyphenating his last name, feeding him organic food and reasoning with him like a tiny adult. Kids need strict discipline, boundaries and a healthy sense of fear: of their surroundings and most importantly their parent’s wrath. I can count on one hand how many times my Mom spanked me… cause she never had to. I was too scared of the potential spanking to act out.

Back to the topic…. my girlfriend lost part of her finger recently in an accident. The hand surgeon was telling us that the last patient he operated on was a toddler who’s hands got stuck at the bottom of an escalator. 1: Why was he on his hands or all fours? and 2: How do you feel as a parent that now, through your lack of attentiveness, your child is permanently maimed for life?