1 Million Little Tikes Toy Cellphones Recalled

If you’ve got a kid and you don’t want it to choke to death– make sure its not playing with the Little Tikes Chit ‘N Chat Toy Cell Phone. The CPSC is recalling about a million of these toys because there’s a piece that can break off and pose a choking hazard.

Consumers should take these toy phones away from young children immediately and contact the firm for instructions on obtaining a free replacement.

For more information call Kids Station toll-free at (888) 620-0930 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s Web site at www.kidsstationtoys.com

Kids Station Toys Recalls Little Tikes Toy Cell Phones Due to Choking Hazard [CPSC]

Comments

1. LetMeGetTheManager says:

Things have gone too far when young children get their own ‘cell phones’…

What happened to the old 1980s phones that weren’t a choking hazard, but you could beat someone up with?!

2. Skiffer says:

@LetMeGetTheManager: Russell Crowe has them all…

3. Good. I’m sick of those Little Tykes cars running into my leg while some doe-eyed blonde behind the wheel acts like she wasn’t even in control of the thing.

4. B says:

@LetMeGetTheManager: Yea, they should play with toy guns like I did when I was a kid. Wait, what was your point again?

5. mike says:

@LetMeGetTheManager: What happened to the days when everyone played a sport and there were “winners” and “losers”? Now it’s all, “Oh, there are no points. That way, everybody wins!”

6. chiieddy says:

The article I read yesterday made sure the readers knew, yes, these toys were Made in China.

7. SkokieGuy says:

Little Tykes has announced that consumers may call Little Tykes toll-free hotline and request a free replacement toy.

Available products include

Slutwheels – for little tramps on the go
    Douche Ken – with flipped collar fashions
    Piercing Princess – with all the extra holes every girl wants
    Credit Cranny – the fun holder for kiddie kredit kards
    Little Miss Hissy – the fashion doll that demands to be treated right

8. chiieddy says:

@LetMeGetTheManager: I actually know parents who give them the old (no battery included) phones to play with. Like car keys, kids like to play with the same things Mom and Dad use. It’s not the only thing kids copy from Mom and Dad (think behaviors).

9. chevychic55 says:

@linus: Ahhh, does somebody listen to Rush?

10. SkokieGuy says:

Helen, look! Little Suzie is prettending to talk on her cellphone and ignore us during dinner! That’s so adorable, just like her big sister!

No Suzie, don’t throw your cellphone at the waiter. It’s not his fault your chicken nuggets are cold. It’s the f’ing cook. That’s who Mommie thinks is the asshole.

11. hi says:

Here we go again blame china. If the kid is smart enough to detach the hinge he should be smart enough not to choke on it, right? (joking) At least it’s only a million toy cellphones.

12. jjeeff says:

Since when does “it” refer to a child?

13. TMMadman says:

Wouldn’t it just be easier for the parent to break off the offending part and throw it away?

14. theblackdog says:

Speaking of recalls, could Consumerist bring back their daily feature where they posted all of the latest recalls from the CPSC?

15. kaptainkk says:

@SkokieGuy: “Helen, look! Little Suzie is pretending to talk on her cellphone and ignore us during dinner! That’s so adorable, just like her big sister!” – LMAO!!!!

16. SkokieGuy says:

@theblackdog: You may already know this, but you can go to the CPSC website to search for a product (great for parents who want to buy older items at garage sales and such).

You can also sign up for free email alerts.

And kaptainkk – thank you!

17. RevRagnarok says:

@theblackdog: Daily alert emails are simple enough: [www.cpsc.gov]

18. Jessicah says:

Are you serious?

My kid got this phone for Christmas of 2006. It took them that long to recall it?

His came with a set of fake keys that he was only allowed to play with for about 2 days because they were made of real metal. After he started putting scratches on things around the house, and hurt his gums chewing on them, I just threw them away.

I should have just assumed the phone was a piece of garbage as well. It*s actually safer for him to let him keep swiping everyone*s cell phone at this point.

19. GenXCub says:

I know how all these recalled products say “a piece could break off and a child could choke on it” but isn’t that pretty much anything that’s not a slab of iron? Kids are brutal to their toys, and stuff is going to break… all the time.

At some point you have to just say “Darwin did not want this child to pass on its genes”

20. Trai_Dep says:

Hey, if it leads to safer roads in sixteen years, I say keep them on the market.

21. Scoobatz says:

My two year old son wants to switch service to Step 2. Does anyone know how to unlock this phone?

22. Anonymously says:

“If you’ve got a kid and you don’t want it to choke to death”

Great intro; It almost caused me to choke to death.

23. rpm773 says:

Recalled? Due to brain cancer concerns?

24. weakdome says:

I think the REAL lesson we have learned today is:
    when companies abbreviate “and” with “n”, it sucks.
    (Click ‘n’ pull)

25. TechnoDestructo says:

In Japan, you can get old non-functional display model phones for cheap or free. My host family let their kids play with those. If you’re worried about it, just break off all the breakable parts. And they’re probably tougher than this Little Tykes POS, too.

@LetMeGetTheManager:

My brother hit me in the mouth with one of those, once. It was unpleasant.

26. Joedel263 says:

It is important to note that these are NOT manufactured by Little Tikes. They are made by Kids Station which is a separate company that licensed the Little Tikes name.

27. superbureaucrat says:

Logically they are being recalled for the announcement of the 2nd gen toyPHONE. The new one will have an 8 megapixel camera, gps, 3G and everything omg!I heard a rumor that they will announce it on june 9th during TOYworld.

28. ByeBye says:

The Manator is choking!

Seriously though, I’ve let my daughter use this for OVER a year…never knew it was such a bad hazard. Takes all kinds I guess.

29. ByeBye says:

@TheManator: Oh, and you’re welcome for the picture. I destroyed my usb cable for this. lol. TIME TO UPGRADE TO IPHONE~~~!!

30. br549xt93 says:

So yeah, my daughter has one of these phones. And that thing came off too. Not only is it a choking hazard but if they put their finger in the right place, it becomes a wicked pinching hazard. I found that out myself!

I just give my kid our old cell phones to play with. I take the battery out of course. She’ll have a cell phone anyways when she’s older so I figure she might as well get used to them. Sad.

31. MrGrimes says:

@LetMeGetTheManager:
    I like Goerge Carlin’s bit “what ever happened to sitting in the yard with a stick? Nowadays parents would probably freak out if little Bobby went wandering into the woods. He might be out there thinking about things!!”

Classic!

32. Keavy_Rain says:

@LetMeGetTheManager: I was at Sonic yesterday and saw a girl that couldn’t be over 16 with a BlackBerry. Why someone that young needs a phone like that is beyond me. When I was 16 the most technically advanced device I carried with me was a GameBoy.

Yes cell phones existed but they were pricey, bulky, and a monochrome display that showed the number you were dialing was listed as a “Luxury feature.”

P.S. I did walk fifteen miles in the snow uphill both ways to get to school.

33. SayAhh says:

Dateline: USA
    Headline: Ten gazillion gallons of water recalled
    Tag: choking hazard, possible Chinese connection
    Disclaimer: /sarcasm

34. weirdalfan27 says:

I can’t believe kids who know how to talk on a fake cell phone is stupid enough to SWALLOW any little piece that comes of it.