UPDATE: Sears Changes Its Mind About The Definition Of "All"

If you read our story from this morning “Sears Kicks Off Holiday Weekend With False Advertising” you should remember Nazar who couldn’t get the advertised discount on his garage storage. He wrote to us with the following update:

I got in touch with Sears customer service yesterday (1-800 4 MY HOME). After 20 minutes on the phone explaining to them why the ad was misleading they agreed to provide all of the pieces I had selected at half off.

Congratulations to Nazar. It’s amazing what a little escalation and tenacity can accomplish.

PREVIOUSLY: Sears Kicks Off Holiday Weekend With False Advertising

Comments

1. wallspray says:

The problem remains in the fact they Sears admits no wrong doing, just accepts to change HIS purchase, and not the subsequent purchases of future customers.

2. qwickone says:

@wallspray: couldnt agree more. plus it took 20 min of arguing to get there.

3. SaveMeJeebus says:

It’s too bad I don’t need garage storage stuff or I would clean them out on principle. Oh well.

4. IphtashuFitz says:

Hey, more free advertising for Sears! Too bad it’s not the kind of advertising they were hoping for…

5. lostalaska says:

Wow, is it any wonder SEARS is a store more and more people just refuse to go to.

6. Jayski says:

So, what is the ad for? ALL or just the pictured? The resolution fits the OP but.. Some clarification would have been helpful, maybe?

7. stre says:

SEARS SUCKS! SEARS SUCKS! TO THE INTERNETS TO WARN THE MASSES! SERS SUCKS! SEARS SU – oh, i guess a call to customer service corrected the problem, just like it should. Sears…only…kinda sucks!?

8. ThomFabian says:

@Jayski:
    The ad intended to say “All Garage Storage on Sale”

and the 50% of was intended for the item shown only. Other items were only 20% off. It was a poorly written ad.

9. Edge23 says:

Don’t most ads say something like ‘We are not responsible for typographic errors’?

10. horned_frog says:

Can’t we say “fine print” is a form of discrimination toward the blind or hard-of-sight population?

11. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

Congrats! All garden storage 50% off! And just in time because the sale ends… um… Memorial Day. Whoops.

12. notallcompaniesareevil says:

Reading the ad, I can understand the company’s stance. I think it’s misleading, but I don’t think it was intentionally misleading. Perhaps I’m too trusting.

13. sprocket79 says:

Against my better judgment, I allowed my mother to talk me into checking Sears for an air conditioner this past weekend. After talking to the sales man for a few minutes I could tell he had no idea what he was talking about. Then he gets a call on his cell phone and takes it! Thankfully mom came to her senses and we left while he was still yapping away on his phone.

14. dmolavi says:

maybe i’m lucky, but i’ve never had any problems with my local sears store. i know it’s a crap shoot whenever i go in, but i’ve never had to rant/rave/call a manager at all. hell, even their repair guys came out on time, as promised, and stayed for 8 hours to fix a washer that was still under warranty. i’ve only had problems w/ their home services division for a new HVAC system install.
    i’m lucky, i guess :)

15. milqtost says:

@Edge23: I wouldn’t call this a typographical error though. That would more akin to something like “Save 500%” instead of “Save 50%” or “Save w0%” instead of “Save 20%”. I might even agree that $50 instead of 50% was a typographical error. This was just a poorly worded ad.

16. marsneedsrabbits says:

Sears changed the definition of “all”?

Surprising, since so many of us have changed the definition of “customer” to exclude Sears.

You’d think they’d want people in their stores ready to buy stuff.

I guess not.

17. RandomHookup says:

Where’s all the “blame the victim” activity in this thread? Did the bashers decide to take the summer off?

18. DeeJayQueue says:

@sprocket79: A very similar thing happened to me at Sears the other day.

I was looking for a new router, and I asked the guy what the differences were between the $80 router and the $280 router, and he was like “Oh I’m a carpenter and I can do this that and the other thing, so I know what I’m talking about!” but he wouldn’t answer my question. I couldn’t help but think that if he were a carpenter he wouldn’t be working at Sears hocking power tools at 2pm on a tuesday. He’d be out carpenting. It didn’t help that they didn’t even have the model I wanted.

19. geoffhazel says:

I’m still using the craftsman tools I bought 40 yrs ago. Sears doesnt’ totally suck.

20. u1itn0w2day says:

This is stereotypical retail.DeeJayQueue has a point,he would be out carpenting instead of hocking power tools.

I don’t expect ‘experts’ but I expect the sales person to at least know their own merchandise.Could this guy even tell you if it came with accessories or wether one had a larger motor?This is common in retail,they probably preach pushing their stupid warranties to the employees rather than learning their crap.By the same token I doubt there are very few engineers in Best Buy:just look at all the repair complaints.This kill retailers all the time.

21. u1itn0w2day says:

I strayed off point:I forgot to add that I agree a typo would be 500 instead of 50 so the wording is the problem here.

22. @notallcompaniesareevil: Too trusting? It says it all in your name! ;)

23. Protector says:

They pulled the same shit a few weeks ago. The ad said 20% off Energy Star appliances…I went in for a fridge and dishwasher and the pieces that I chose were not on their “select” list. I showed them the ad and the fact that the word “select” was nowhere to be found. They didn’t care and lost my business. Enjoy retail hell with the likes of Ward’s and Woolworth’s, Sears.