PC World Names Consumerist In 100 Best Products Of 2008

The editors of PC World have named Consumerist as one of the 100 best products of 2008. We’re not sure exactly what we did, but the press announcement says, “Each year, PC World chooses the 100 top technology products available to consumers. Some of the products are brand new, some have been on the market for years. What they have in common is attractive and efficient design, outstanding features and performance, solid usability and smart innovation.” Whoo, go us.

Comments

1. LetMeGetTheManager says:

Congratulations!

2. dualityshift says:

Isn’t this website more of a service?

PC Mag’s english department was probably outsourced to India.

3. Truvill says:

@dualityshift: lol!

Regardless, congratulations!

4. boandmichele says:

@dualityshift: uh oh. i swear if i see a post by Ben Patil, im outta here…

5. Michifernication says:

Confused? But congrats nonetheless.

6. ElizabethD says:

7. Trai_Dep says:

Whoo whoo! Congrads, Consumerist team!
    Calls for some more sexed-up, sultry back-alley photographs, m’thinks.

8. JustaConsumer says:

Good job Ben.

9. joemono says:

Try my product.

10. joemono says:

(that was supposed to also include a photo of the video professor guy, oh well)

11. Juggernaut says:

Nice!

12. NoNamesLeft says:

Funny, there was no mention of the grawker shirt of the day postings that used to be on the consumerist. I am shocked.

13. RokMartian says:

I was going to say congratulations, until I looked at the list.

2. iPhone
    3. Facebook
    4. Windows XP

who picked these ?!?!

14. tastybytes says:

i applaud the kudos.. but didnt they also name the iphone the best new invention (or was that time?).. these seem like trendy, whats hot lists (iphone, facebok, etc).. too bad the grats cant be taken seriously

15. @ElizabethD:
    “And to think I knew you way back when. When Consumerist.com was new, that is. Kudos.”

was that also the time people said web addresses as
    “h t t p colon slash slash w w w dot consumerist dot com”?

=)

16. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

Congrats!!!!

17. spinachdip says:

@RokMartian: I’m not sure what problem you have with picking Facebook and iPhone.

For all its security problems, Facebook has managed a level of consolidation and a software model in social networking that Friendster or MySpace couldn’t. iPhone changed the US mobile market by simply being a phone that people actually want (not to mention got AT&T to kick back, rather than selling subsidized phones), and has caused other makers to come up with their own iPhone competitors.

Windows XP? I’m guessing it’s a middle finger to Vista?

18. LucyInTheSky says:

woot! yay consumerist! and lifehacker was on the list too!

i was happy to see netflix and pandora on the list too.

19. Congrats to the whole Consumerist team!

20. Pro-Pain says:

Windows XP??? an IPhone??!?!?! Seriously, an IPhone is number 2?? That list is a JOKE.

21. spinachdip says:

@Pro-Pain: I have to ask again, why the OUTRAGE!!! over iPhone? I can’t think of a bigger consumer product story over the past year. And I don’t know about XP, but I don’t think their reasoning is that unreasonable, and it’s enjoyed a resurgence of sorts since Vista was released?

Why the foaming at the mouth?

22. spinachdip says:

@spinachdip: Though I gotta say, Kindle, MacBook Air and Amazon MP3 store are all ranked too low, while Google Street View is ranked way too high for what is (for now) a novelty produt.
    [www.pcworld.com]

23. Gann says:

@spinachdip: Call it what you will, I’m apartment hunting right now and I am using it quite a bit. It’s no replacement for driving a neighborhood, but it’s helped me narrow my search a bit before burning my precious fossil fuels to go check them out in person.

24. Trai_Dep says:

@tastybytes: Err, considering how you write, maybe PC World should create a TastyBytes-Only List that only has:
    1) Spell/Grammar Check.

25. BlackFlag55 says:

Absodamnlutely … hell, I’d put Consumerist in the top 5.

26. RokMartian says:

@spinachdip:
    The iPhone is not groundbreaking. Apple has a way of wrapping up existing technology and making everyone believe they are innovative. I love my Mac, but I’m waiting until the iPhone matures.

Facebook – I’m over the age of 25, so I really don’t get it and have no use for it.

windows xp – I question this because this was supposed to be a list of the best products of 2008 – not 1998.

27. elisa says:

Aww congrats!

and I, too, remember the early days, when the “Dick Tracy on fire” theme was applied :D

28. silencedotcom says:

SWEET! I’m getting drunk on behalf of the Consumerist tonight!! I’ll see you on the news tomorrow!

29. spinachdip says:

@RokMartian: I think your response is typical of industry analysts and the tech world in general – you’re judging a product based on a laundry list of features and specs. And it’s precisely why the iPhone is a game changer (I didn’t, and probably wouldn’t call it “groundbreaking”). All the technology in the world is pointless if there isn’t an elegant way for the consumer to interact with it, and that’s where Apple’s strength is.

30. synergy says:

I still think comment threading should be a site-side addition.

31. Trai_Dep says:

@synergy: Right after Troll Flagging, making a user-selectable number of votes from readers make the offenders go away. :D

32. kyle4 says:

It’s funny because Gizmodo made fun of how it is May and they just released “the best of 2008″.

Regardless, congratulations on the mention!

33. yikz says:

It’s May. 2008. How in the world does PC World put out a Best of 2008 in May? I bet this was written in February, proofed in March, and sent to the printer in April.
    PC World must be running out of material. Next, they’ll be putting Linday Lohan and Paris Hilton on the cover.

34. mike says:

What product does Consumerist sell? I’m confused.

Really, congratulations. :-)

35. Ben Popken says:

@synergy: We have it in the works.

36. andys2i says:

Congratulations. I recently started reading this site and it is definetly interesting, though some topics are out there. Added to my RSS reader for a daily dose of the wierd and wonderful.

37. factotum says:

Have I time traveled? This post was in my RSS feed for Dec. 24, 2009… Regardless, congrats for the mention but does anyone read PC magazines any more?