UPS Can't Find Your Lost Computer, So They'll Honor Their Insurance Policy

Remember Nick? UPS smashed up his insured computer and then refused to provide any compensation, even after mysteriously shipping it to a stranger. UPS’ public relations folks reached out to us after we posted his story and recently sent us an update: “…after a search of all UPS’s facilities we were not able to recover his computer.” Bummer, but all is not lost.

UPS agreed to refund $300 of Nick’s shipping costs and to issue “a goodwill payment to him for his computer.” Here’s Nick’s response:

So, a happy ending (thanks, I’m sure, to your site). Today, UPS contacted me, saying that since they couldn’t find my computer, they were going to pay out the claim on the package and refund my shipping charges. All’s well that ends well (that is, so long as they can get it delivered to the right address this time). Thanks for help in publicizing this, and the resources your site offers. I swear, you guys are better than the Better Business Bureau.

We don’t really understand how paying for an insured computer that was destroyed adds up to ‘goodwill’ so much as honoring a stated policy, or why UPS searched their facilities after they admitted to delivering the package to a stranger, but hey, Nick’s happy, and that’s all that matters.

PREVIOUSLY: UPS Breaks, Steals Computer
(Photo: The Infamous Gdub)

Comments

1. azntg says:

Carey got it right on the nose…

Goodwill is if UPS reimburses the guy for shipping and an estimated value of the computer ONLY IF the guy DIDN’T buy insurance for the shipment and if the package never reaches the package’s recipient.

Honoring the payment is if UPS reimburses the guy for shipping and an estimated value of the computer ONLY IF the guy bought insurance for the shipment and if the package never reaches the package’s recipient.

Fraud is if UPS continued to twiddle their thumbs hoping nobody would notice their screw ups!

2. timmus says:

I’m glad to hear the good news. But publicizing the sudden generosity of a corporation that did wrong doesn’t exactly encourage them to get on the ball… it just plays into the hands of their damage control efforts, and possibly gives a skewed impression of how they treat people who have not did the whole EECB and complaint route.

3. Fry says:

@timmus: It does play into the hands of damage control, but here’s how I look at it:
    UPS fucked up. Nick sends in his story, UPS looks bad.
    UPS rectifies the situation to Nick’s satisfaction. Not the follow-up has been posted. Perhaps it will encourage them to do better in the future.

This site is about the consumer fighting back. Which is what Nick did, and now we know the resolution. Perosnally, I like to hear about the ending to the stories that get posted here.

4. laserjobs says:

“you guys are better than the Better Business Bureau.”

What is the Better Business Bureau? All I found is they took my money as a business owner and really provided nothing. We need a “Consumerist Approved” label!!!

5. jpx72x says:

How about a month ago, UPS left a package at my “front door.” My building has 24 units and no doorman. And, we live in the ghetto.

UPS told me to buzz off.

At least the seller was great about replacing it.

6. rellog says:

@timmus: I don’t really see this as giving UPS any credit. The case was resolved, but IMO, they still look like crap. The whole “goodwill gesture” makes them look pathetic and slimy. Carey’s comment at the end sums it up. UPS is craptastic. I really wish we had more consumer rights laws that deal with companies that refuse to comply with their own policy. Until it costs more for these companies to screw customers than not, they will continue to do so…

7. zentex says:

@laserjobs:

We need a “Consumerist Approved” label!!!

Seriously!

8. humphrmi says:

Glad to hear UPS comes through when they’re made to look stupid on a public website.

9. @Fry: Here, here. I see people give up every day because they feel that their voice means nothing to a huge, faceless corporation. It IS important to publicize that standing up for your rights can yield results.

10. FishingCrue says:

I think we’ve become so accustomed to poor customer service that anytime a resolution is achieved without lawyers we count it as a victory. No wonder so many want to, are or have attended law school, they just want to get decent customer service.

11. @jpx72x: That’s sounds like the system functioned normally in your case: the seller probably used shipper release. The shipper saves money by not requiring a signature, but accepts liability if something happens.