UPDATE: Best Buy EECB Scores A Direct Hit

If you read yesterday’s article Best Buy’s “Same As Cash” Credit Card Conceals Major Hidden Fees, you should remember Jason who got socked with some serious fees on his Best Buy/HSBC credit card. Jason wrote back to us to say that within a mere 3 hours after the deployment of his EECB, Best Buy reversed all of his fees. Jason’s and Best Buy’s letter, inside…

Just an update, after the post was made and an EECB linking to the Consumerist article you posted on my behalf, I have received the following from Best Buy’s spokesman, Robert Feivor (three hours after the EECB, if anyone is counting):

Jason:

I appreciate you sharing your comments with the Executive Offices of Best Buy. I did review these and I wanted to follow up with you further regarding this. I have reached out to HSBC Bank on your behalf to make them aware of your concerns. HSBC did confirm the Account Shield was signed for at the time of application in 2005. They will send out a copy of this to you for your records. However, I can confirm that all of the fees associated with Account Shield ($172.37) have indeed been refunded to you.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and appreciate your continued patronage.

Respectfully,
Robert Feivor
Best Buy Co., Inc.

I appreciate the quick turnaround on the story submission. I hope everyone else affected by these charges contests them in the same way, to be signed up for something without your consent is not good business and just makes people more aware and more likely to not do business with you in the future.

Congratulations, Jason. That’s the kind of news we like to hear. So what to do with your Best Buy credit card now…We’re thinking confetti.

PREVIOUSLY: Best Buy’s “Same As Cash” Credit Card Conceals Major Hidden Fees

Comments

1. fostina1 says:

same thing happened to me at sears. i apparently signed up for some quality care thing when i got my card 2 years ago. i never used the card till i needed a lawn mower this year. they had it no payments/interest for 12 months. so i get a bill and they assumed i would rather be in some 18month program that requires minimum payments instead of the 12 month no payment one they plastered all over the site. plus a 10.17 charge for that quality care. a couple phone calls and it was taken care of, but i still had to pay the 10.17. the funny part is after they took off the minimum payment for the mower it showed i only owed $10.00. so i get my second statement and its for .17. but im glad its taken care of now.

2. HOP says:

good for him, but i still won’t do best buy…who wants to go through a lotta crap everytime a problem arises??????

3. HOP says:

4. They’re nicer than I would have been about it – especially if there’s paperwork indicating the guy signed up for the service in the first place.

Two and a half years of paying that fee without questioning it until the balance was finally paid off? It really looks like somebody just wanted the Account Shield coverage, and once the balance was gone, tried to get their money back.

I’m not saying that’s what happened, but that’s what it would look like to someone on the BB side of things.

5. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@InfiniTrent: Some consumer advocate you are. Take another look at the name of the website you’re on, babe.

6. jmsbmck says:

Doesn’t ANYONE read what they sign anymore? I agree with InfiniTrent – your laziness/ingorance/whatever isn’t a customer service problem.

7. Daniel-Bham says:

I canceled two HSBC cards yesterday.

8. ConsumerAdvocacy1010 says:

@jmsbmck: Agreed. If the OP was paying it the entire time (for years) then I think BB/HSBC could have kept the fees.

I recently opened a new credit card account, and noticed a payment protection plan and some credit monitoring service….altogether about $4.60 a month. I explicitly remember saying “No Thank You” to these options when I called to activate the card/confirm interest rate/billing cycle dates. One call (though twenty minutes…) took care of it.

9. ConsumerAdvocacy1010 says:

@speedwell: True, but fair is fair. If someone is not diligent about something…and then complains and launches a/an EECB about it…it should fall under “Bad Consumer” or at the very least “Not paying attention Consumer”

I understand that many people on this site simply yell at the OP, but you have to admit that in this case the OP is at fault and is fortunate that BB/HSBC agreed to his request.

10. ConsumerAdvocacy1010 says:

Oh, re-read the original article… How the heck do you consider “Debt Cancellation – TX” a ‘Generic Charge?’ Debt and Cancellation are generic?

People: Read your bills. Carefully. Please. And always confirm the due dates, since they can and will change. Thank you.

11. Teradoc says:

Glad I only have two cards anymore, but when I was in college (read: the not so smart consumer years) I still always looked out for HSBC cards because I knew they were not the most scrupulous

12. wellfleet says:

Wonderful. Why do we reward people who don’t read what they sign, behave irresponsibly for two years, and then start a smear campaign on the Internets?
    Why does Consumerist, instead of chiding the OP for being a bad consumer, let the OP use public relations blackmail to undo his mistake?
    Ick!

13. Hanke says:

Because critisim of consumers on this site is prohibited, no matter how stupid they are. And God forbid you should post a comment siding with ‘big business’ in one of these ‘articles’ Just ‘journalism’ at its finest. Publish unsubstatiated rumors, don’t fact check, and one persons experience represents an entire class.

14. Allistar says:

I’m the consumer in this story and believe most of the negative responses to my experience are unwarranted.

This isn’t the experience of just one person, there are many other consumers affected by this exact same unsolicited snake oil “service”. This is because the charges are so small and with such a nondescript name, that they would be skimmed over by the more uninformed (and I admit, I fell into this category at the time) consumer.

Please also see the pages of blog entries for Debt Cancellation complaints at the following links:
    [householdwatch.com]

[www.cardoffers.com]

This isn’t an issue of us falsely signing up for a service or not reading a contract properly. (I don’t buy protection plans or insurance services as there are so many loopholes and because of scams like this. I knew this, even three years ago.)

This is the employee subscribing the unaware consumer for such services, this is the credit card company telemarketers that despite you declining these services, repeat back to you that yes, you want to try out these services on your account but that you can call back to cancel at any time.

Don’t let skepticism and falsely believing someone is in the wrong be your first responses to these sorts of complaints. I know I’d feel the same if it was someone else, but having experienced this myself and discovering a large number of others affected by this, this is a legitimate issue.

15. Edge23 says:

Yes, this site is for consumers but consumers are not always right. Some are liars, scammers, cheaters, lazy, irresponsible, rude and a pain to deal with.

16. Edge23 says:

@Allistar: I read the links and I believe you.

I would consider filing a complaint with your state AJ.

17. andystep12 says:

I worked for both Best Buy and CompUSA both of which use these HSBC cards. I highly doubt (though I may be wrong) that this was done with any ill intent. When I worked at each retailer there was no incentive for getting someone to sign up for that debt cancellation plus crap. In fact all of the horror stories about it led me to explain to customers why they should not sign up for it. Plus, there is a signature spot where you either accept (by signing on the left) or decline (by signing on the right) the offer.

Basically read what you are signing!
    That’s the true lesson of this.
    Also it helps if the people working these stores actually want what is best for their customers–I know this is a rarity.

18. wellfleet says:

@Allistar: how is “debt cancellation” non-descript? It the opposite of non-descrip. It’s a fee and it’s for debt cancellation, i.e. a debt cancellation fee. I have three credit cards and I read them thoroughly every month and dispute anything that doesn’t match my records. I also work at BBY. Every day we have people who don’t read what they sign. It’s come to the point where I throw away a Geek Squad contract if I see the client not reading and give them a new copy to read and sign.
    What you did is akin to having an abscessed tooth for two years before going to the dentist and being aghast at the charges to yank the tooth and make you better. If it hurts for two years, you would be good to, you know, look into it!

19. wellfleet says:

Case in point from HSBC watch OP : “During the application process, you sign your name a lot of times. [ACTUALLY, IT'S JUST ONCE, OR TWICE IF YOU GET THE ACCOUNT SHIELD] I recall stopping to ask about the “optional” Account Shield Protection and the BB sales associate said it was no big deal. I was not given a full explanation and went ahead and signed up for it. My mistake!”

20. Buran says:

@wellfleet: If you hadn’t admitted you worked for best buy, your shill status would have been pretty obvious due to automatically assuming anyone confused by this stuff is a liar. But since you work for those despicable people, you have something to gain by smearing the honest. Pathetic.

21. andystep12 says:

@Buran: Also I am simply recounting my own experience, other people may not be as forthcoming as I was.
    I am surely no shill.
    Just saying it as I have experienced it about 50 or so times.
    Not one single customer got that crap from me and I didn’t either when I got one of those cards.