Keg Fraud: Busted For Puting Pricier Brand Labels On Cheaper Beer

If you bought a keg in Greensboro, NC you might have gotten some crappy beer with a more expensive label, says the News-Record. David Edward Essa, 34, and Robert Christopher Martin, 35 are charged with three counts of the delightful-sounding felony “obtaining money by false pretenses,” after placing more expensive brand names on cheaper beer.

“Most retailers take seriously their responsibility not to fraudulently deceive consumers purchasing alcoholic beverages,” said Alan Fields, district supervisor for Greensboro’s ALE Office. “This is the first time in 20 years, I’ve heard complaints about switching brand labels.”

In April, ALE Agents covertly ordered a keg of beer labeled with the Bud Light brand from an employee at the University General Store. They also obtained samples of the Bud Light on tap at the Spring Garden Bar and Pizzeria. Analysis of both samples indicated the beer was Busch Light in both cases.

The ALE investigation also revealed that employees at Westerwood Tavern were selling Keystone Light beer from a tap, but representing the product to consumers as Coors Light, a more expensive beer.

ALE agents? Analysis of samples? CSI:Beer!

What’s on tap: Not what you think, ALE agents say
[News-Record] (Thanks, Dan!)
(Photo: qnr )

Comments

1. zibby says:

I sometimes wonder if this doesn’t happen that often or if it’s just that people don’t get caught that often.

Anyhow, ALE should have their own show, yes.

2. crabbyman6 says:

I wonder if their “sampling” was just throwing a kegger. Also love the name of the office.

3. homerjay says:

This reminds me of the tests that were secretly done on wine snobs where they substituted $5 wines for $100 and the snobs would talk about how incredible this expensive wine was and why it was so expensive.

There’s probably a bigger difference in taste between Coors Light and Keystone Light than there is between $5 Cabernet and $100 Cabernet

4. Murph1908 says:

Ok, I’ll be the first beer snob.

Bud Light? I thought they were referring to real beer.

5. Of course nobody noticed.

6. HIV 2 Elway says:

This aggression will not stand, man.

7. Wokcus says:

I would guess that this happens pretty frequently. It just that people get away with it. If you’re not doing side by side comparisons, it’s going to be pretty hard for the average person to tell one watery light beer from another.

8. HIV 2 Elway says:

@Wokcus: Not so hard for your average alcoholic.

9. andrewe says:

There’s a cheaper beer than Bud Light? I tasted the stuff and just assumed it was about the cheapest you could buy.

10. GreatCaesarsGhost says:

@andrewe:
    You have no idea how bad beer can taste until you get into Busch and Natty Land.

11. midwestkel says:

I wondered why I have tasted beer and it didnt taste like what it usually does, now I know!

12. nrich239 says:

The ALE (Alcohol Law Enforcement) in NC takes their jobs VERY seriously.

In college, you could always tell when ALE was in town because there were no house parties and everyone seemed to be out of town for the weekend.

What analysis are they doing to determine what kind of beer it is? Taste testing? (Begins drooling while thinking of that job)

13. RBecho says:

Hey, at least it wasn’t The Beast, that could have killed someone.

14. RandoX says:

If you drink a particular brand of beer, you can definitely tell the difference. Just like smokers can tell the difference between Marlboros and GPCs.

15. Toof_75_75 says:

I sometimes wonder about this at restaurants and such…I’ve had a few times where I’ve asked the waiter to take my drink back and bring back a glass of what I paid for. I’m usually right…the other times, they just need to tap a new keg, so I’m still kind of right ;-)

16. Evgeni Merkin says:

@RandoX: True. I can pick a Sam Adams Boston Lager out of a blind lineup. I can pick it out of a lineup of other Sam products. People know their brew.

17. kborer22 says:

keyston= slightly off bacth of coors, same goes for busch and bud, so really, it’s all coming from the same place in the beginning…

18. consumersaur says:

This should be a capital crime.

19. MaxSmart32 says:

@Toof_75_75: I stupidly have ordered beer at a local resturant three times over the course of a year, and I have that same thing happen, it just does NOT taste like what I ordered…I always have them take it back and get something in a bottle.

20. B says:

Wait, there’s a difference between bud light and busch light?

21. cronick says:

American beer is all rat p*ss. Sit down and savor a nice cold bottle of Celebrator.

22. Bladefist says:

@HIV 2 Elway: This unchecked agression just will not stand man! DONNIE you’re out of your element! Favorite movie, of all times.

I am a beer brewer, and I wouldn’t have caught this, because I wouldn’t have been drinking coors. And coors isn’t an ale, its a lager. It bottom ferments.

If they were serving keystone in place of an actual good beer, that would be pretty ballsy.

23. Bladefist says:

sorry the article is bush/budlight. same difference.

24. @B: I was thinking the same thing. All those brands taste like Lucifer’s urine mixed with the sweat on his lower back after a hard day of torturing souls. And I actually like beer! And by “beer,” I mean actual beer. Preferably brewed in Europe. In a pinch, Blue Moon. Mmmm, Blue Moon… (runs out door to nearest liquor store.)

25. Bladefist says:

@GreatCaesarsGhost: That is the official recession indicator. Everyone goes to Natty

26. no.no.notorious says:

keystone vs. coors? can people taste the difference?

27. Toof_75_75 says:

@maxforrest32:
    Yeah, generally speaking, it’s a little safer to go with bottles.

28. Bladefist says:

I don’t want to hear any nonsense about American beers being bad. We make the same beers Europe makes. The only thing Europe has, is the German purity law. Most microbreweries in America make all your favorite ales and lagers, that taste just as good as the ones in Europe. If you’re embarrassed of BudLight and beers such as that, blame High schoolers and Jimmy Frat boy.

29. mac-phisto says:

that’s just wrong. are barkeeps really that freakin cheap? what’s the cost difference between a keg of bud light & a keg of keystone light – $20? a keg has 1920oz. of beer – that’s 160 12oz. glasses. assuming 15% pour-off, you’re still looking at 136 glasses. that’s a savings of 15¢/glass.

stingy bastards.

30. Bladefist says:

@mac-phisto: wonder if all the places selling coke really have RC Cola tapped. That’d be some BS

31. snoop-blog says:

I’m no alkie, but I would definately know that it wasn’t the beer I ordered, which would most likely be Miller Lite.

32. mac-phisto says:

@Bladefist: go to canada & get some beer that hasn’t been pasteurized (like alexander keith’s IPA) & you’ll think differently. i like a lot of american brands, but there’s definitely a difference – esp. when you don’t bombard your frothy goodness with taste-death rays.

33. BloggyMcBlogBlog says:

@mac-phisto: IIRC from the many brewery tours I’ve taken, beer from kegs is not pasteurized so it must be constantly be kept cold. Don’t ever buy a warm keg of beer.

34. cerbie says:

…but representing the product to consumers as Coors Light, a more expensive beer.

Laugh? Cry? Go buy a six pack of Black Lager before it goes back to only being available in the variety pack for another 8 or so months?

35. Gopher bond says:

They did this at one of the bars I used to hang out in during college. The tap handles said Miller Lite, Coors Lite, and Bud Lite but if you looked at the kegs, they were all Keystone lite.

36. Toof_75_75 says:

@testsicles: Those bastards.

37. nadmonk says:

The fact that they’re ripping off people drinking Bud Light is hilarious. But seriously, you don’t mess with a man’s (or woman’s) beer.

Also why I drink dark ales. Can’t really cheat as easily with those.

38. valthun says:

While there is no excuse for this. How about when you go to a restaurant with ginger ale on the menu and they serve you sprite with a splash of coke for color. I don’t know who thinks that is actually ginger ale, but that person needs to be shot.

For the record this has happened to me at ESPN Zone and houston’s. I was explained this method by a waiter at ESPN Zone so I obviously did not order it. Then at Houston’s I was brought the glass of sprite with a splash of coke. When i said this is not ginger ale the server was like oh, we do have ginger ale. Turns out the bartender didn’t actually crack open a bottle like he should have.

39. BurnZ_ says:

Replacing crappy beer with even crappier beer, Yeah it would be tuff to notice the difference.

40. johnva says:

@cronick: Uh, no. Not into craft beer, I take it?

41. DeepFriar says:

Word to the wise, if you’re ordering your kegs within 20 miles of a college, stick to Natural Light.

42. xkevin says:

A similar practice is done at many restaurants/catering halls that have open bar. Towards the end of the night, they replace the top shelf liquor with cheap stuff in the top shelf bottle.

43. Gopher bond says:

@Toof_75_75: Eh, I’m a Yuengling man anyway. Made me laugh.

44. DeepFriar says:

@Bladefist: I’ll never apologize for loving Natural Light. It got me through college, damnit.

45. Sudonum says:

@homerjay:
    That would depend entirely on which $5 bottle and which $100 bottle you used for your blind study. I’ve found a few bottles at my local wine shop that retailed for $10 that would knock the socks off many pricer wines.

I can’t tell you about the “hints of currant” or anything like that, but I can tell you that I’ve had enough “fine” wine to identify a good tasting wine from a bad tasting one, and most $5 wines taste nothing like their more expensive counterparts.

46. RandoX says:

@Bladefist: ALE is the law enforcement office, not the type of beer.

47. Dave on bass says:

@Bladefist: But RC is delicious!

48. johnva says:

@nrich239: NC ALE take their job way TOO “seriously”. Overzealous would be a better description. When I was in college in NC, among other things they did:

- They regularly arrested whole cars full of college students merely for legally buying beer at an off-campus grocery store with an under-21 friend waiting in the car. There was no evidence whatsoever that the person of legal age intended to share the beer with the under-21 individual, and it was usually put in the trunk. ALL people in the crowd were arrested, even over-21 students who were not the ones that even bought the beer. All people 21 or older were charged with “providing to minors” and all under 21 people were charged with underage possession of alcohol. Most got off easily in court if they got a lawyer, but it was mainly meant as an intimation tactic. They only stopped doing this once the university and local police publicly complained and requested that they stop.

- They arrested people for underage drinking for merely being present and assisting, after having consumed alcohol, when students with alcohol poisoning were taken to campus health clinics or local hospitals, by staking out both. This had the probable of actually discouraging people from seeking medical attention when a friend had dangerous alcohol poisoning.

- Undercover officers infiltrated various campus groups to look for underage drinking activity. And I’m not just talking about walking into a public party, but actively using subterfuge.

- Staking out local liquor stores, and harassing anyone “young looking” who was leaving after making a purchase as they walked to their car. This would typically involve checking everyone’s ID, despite the fact that an ID check had presumably just been done moments earlier inside the state store.

Good job, NC ALE! Society would fall apart without you.

49. Trai_Dep says:

Law is the law, and ethics are ethics. But damn, it’s hard to feel sympathetic over a bunch of North Carolina frat boys getting ripped off…

50. Bladefist says:

@mac-phisto: I brew beer, which is not pasteurized obviously. And pasteurizing beer just consists to heating it up to 120 to kill any remaining yeast. So it shouldn’t change THAT much.

@RandoX: Good call. My bad.

51. bonzombiekitty says:

*beer snob*
    Bud light… Bushc light. keystone light…coors light.

Really, they’re all equally crappy.

52. mac-phisto says:

@BloggyMcBlogBlog: yeah, but don’t the larger brands cold-filter the crap out of their drafts? if you like a little cloud in your beer, try allagash white – good stuff (just like everything else that comes from maine).

@testsicles: good ol’ “pottsville pisswater”, eh?

53. Bladefist says:

@mac-phisto: Thats because most people dont want any taste left in their beer.

54. bonzombiekitty says:

@cronick: Correction – american mass produced beer is all piss (minus Sam Adams, which is at least decent). But the US has some of the best beers in the world, they’re just all microbrews and hard to find outside of their areas.

Go to Portland or Philadelphia, those are the two best beer towns in the US. Philly has a few good area microbrews, but a ton of imports (I’m told we serve more varieties of belgian beer here than amsterdam). Portland has more microbrews, but fewer imports. I’ve been spoiled by the beer in philadelphia.

55. bonzombiekitty says:

@testsicles: Yuengling is about as low as I’m willing to go.

Rogue > Stoudts > Yards > Sly Fox > Flying Fish > PBC > Victory > Yuengling

56. johnva says:

@Bladefist: It’s just amazing to me to see that the giant breweries still have such a huge marketshare given the abundance of good beer that you can readily get in America these days.

As a beer drinker, I’m also always disappointed when I go to a nice restaurant and they have this big list of fancy wines and their beer list is like “Bud Lite – Coors – Miller Lite”. I like wine too and I understand that it’s going to be a higher profit-margin item for them, but seriously, if you’re going to have beer at all, stock something that I might actually want to drink with nice food.

57. johnva says:

@bonzombiekitty: Couple of other good American breweries that you can get nationally are Bell’s and North Coast.

58. Bladefist says:

@johnva: umm ya that infuriates me. Not only do they have a lack of beers to drink at fine restaurants, but they charge their fine restaurant prices on the shitty the beer.

I’m trying to save up to start my own brew pub to sell my beer. It’ll be a while though.

59. Anonymously says:

@cronick: Celebrator’s very good, but Troegenator (made in Pennsylvania) is a great doublebock as well.

60. jdmba says:

Let’s hope ALE never goes to springfield. I remember seeing an expose where it turned out that Duff Dark, Duff Light, and regular Duff were all coming from the same pipe!

61. bonzombiekitty says:

@johnva: There’s a restaurant in philadelphia that has a huge list of beers from all over the world. Well, actually there’s a few restaurants like this in philadelphia, but this one puts the normal stuff like Bud and Miller on a totally separate list that says “You could get water for free, but if you’re willing to pay for this stuff, I guess we’ll serve it to you.”

62. pegr says:

Offtopic but related…

You know how some places advertise “Beer at state minimum prices!”? How does the state establish a minimum price? Is there a state-paid beer-taster?

“Woo, that’s some $12/six-pack brew, by golly!”

63. Slow2Whine says:

I wonder who tipped them off. My guess it was the distributer. Who noticed that sales were down despite promotions. It’s not hard to figure it out when you look at the invoices.

64. johnva says:

@bonzombiekitty: Oh, it’s getting a bit better as it slowly dawns on more people that there is more to beer than mass-produced American light lager. Certainly some restaurants have decent beer selections now. I’m just complaining about how good beer still doesn’t seem to get the “respect” that good wine does from many restaurants (especially high-end ones) that aren’t places that specialize in beer. Prohibition and big beer corporations destroyed this country’s taste for beer, and it’s only now coming back to life with the proliferation of small breweries and brewpubs.

65. mac-phisto says:

@Bladefist: well, they’re not really exposed to the difference. most bars have a very limited selection on tap –> bud, bud lite, coors lite, miller lite, killian’s, guinness, sam adams (maybe some local regionals). & beer stores can be just as limited. perhaps there’s an exception when you live in proximity to a thriving micro-brew culture, but i’d gauge that 90% of america really wouldn’t know a good beer if it was thrown in their face.

of course, taste is subjective. i know quite a few people who prefer big names b/c (in their opinion) all micro-brews are “too hoppy”.

66. satoru says:

Most mainstream American beers are quite horrible. There’s a reason the Germans were raving mad that only Budweiser would be served at the World Cup stadiums. I mean let’s face it, no one really thinks Coors Lite or Bud Lite are actually beer.

That said there are some really good American beers but you do have to go off the beaten path. There were some great micro-breweries in Madison WI that were just as good as the European beers. America gets a bad rap because we seem to have some kind of rule that only crappy beers can be exported.

67. Bladefist says:

@johnva: Agreed. Beer is a cultural thing. And the rest of the world thinks we all love Miller lite.

68. Bladefist says:

@mac-phisto: They really mean too malty of course. I had a friend who worked at 54th street, which is like an Applebees. They replaced some of their light beers with micro-brews, and the customers through a fit. So they went back. So unfortunately, it’s the people with no respect for beer, who control what beer is on tap.

69. johnva says:

@Bladefist: Of course, it’s just dead wrong and ignorant to make any such categorical statement about “all” micro-brews. There are so many different beers that I think anyone could find one they like, if they like beer at all.

70. mac-phisto says:

@johnva: check these guys out –> [www.allagash.com]

they have their regular run & also something like a “signature series” – after the brewing process, they actually age some of their brews in wooden casks & then produce short-runs that they bottle in 750mL bottles. they’re trying to change the stereotype that only wine has class & their website even recommends dishes to pair their brews too. their operation (& marketing) is really quite impressive.

71. johnva says:

@mac-phisto: Yep, I’ve had some of their beer before at beer festivals and the like. I don’t think anywhere near me sells it at retail, though. Luckily I do have a good beer store that sells some other cask or barrel conditioned beers.

72. AustinTXProgrammer says:

@Toof_75_75: @mac-phisto:
    keg beer is generally not pasteurized and is better, if it has been properly refrigerated and is what you paid for.

73. firesign says:

wait, there’s a difference between bud light and busch light?

74. Bladefist says:

@johnva: You go to beer festivals? Maybe we arent so different after all :)

We had a beer festival here a month ago. On my way there, a guy ran a red light, and totaled my car. Shook it off, had someone pick me up, and still made it to the beer fest. That’s called dedication. Or alcoholism. I forget which.

75. firesign says:

@DeepFriar: word to the wiser: if you’re drinking natural light, go get yourself some actual beer.

76. Bladefist says:

@firesign: I hate to bring politics into this (thats a complete lie) but I would be all for some sort of governmental social program, to put good beers into the hands of hard working Americans.

77. Toof_75_75 says:

@testsicles: And a PA resident as well, I assume?

@AustinTXProgrammer: Better? Definitely! Safer? Not so much. :-(

78. johnva says:

@Bladefist: So you’d support socialism in that case? Is good beer a basic right? :)

I disagree with your politics, but I’m sure I could have a beer with you and get over it.

79. johnva says:

@Bladefist: I’d definitely want a few beers (or more than a few) after that kind of a car accident.

80. Gopher bond says:

@mac-phisto: Blasphemer. P.S. I like Iron City too. Support your local breweries!

@bonzombiekitty: I like all those brews too, but Yuengling is my go to. I’m pretty much always in the mood for a Yuengling.

When I was a kid, Lion Brewery had 20 ounce returnable bottles with crooked labels called Lion’s Head. They were like $4.00 a case (in Pennsylvania!) and had about an inch of sediment in each bottle. Always fun to not warn people who never drank it before. Lol. How’s that last swig taste?

81. Bladefist says:

@johnva: Ya! Well I’m a young guy, all of my friends disagree with me on politics. They still hang with me. I drive them nuts sometimes, but I only debate with the ones who can stay calm, debate, and when its over, have no hard feelings. The others, I just leave it alone.

But I am definitely a beer lover. And if you are too, I would look into making your own beer. It would take a 200$ investment on your part, and 3 hours on a Saturday, and it’s one of the most gratifying hobbies I’ve ever done.

82. Gopher bond says:

@Toof_75_75: used ta be. Yuengling has branched out though. You can get it outside pa, even Florida places have it sometimes.

83. GearheadGeek says:

@Bladefist: Any place that can honestly be described as “like Applebees” isn’t where you should look for patrons with a decent palate for beer OR food.

84. johnva says:

@Bladefist: I’ve made it before with one of my buddies. Quite a lot of fun. I’ll probably get back into it sometime, maybe when I’m living somewhere with more storage space and better indoor temperature control.

85. Toof_75_75 says:

@testsicles: Nice, another Pittsburgh-er! Let’s go PENS!

@johnva: One of my best friends and I are COMPLETE opposites, politically. But, we always enjoy getting together and debating politics, etc.; just to get the brain juices flowing. We normally end those debates with some tasty hops-based beverages.

86. Toof_75_75 says:

@testsicles: I have friends who moved random places (California, Ohio, to name a couple…) who can’t get Yuengling; so anytime they come home they always stock up.

87. DWMILLER says:

The all time leader for the worst beer: Pabst Blue Ribbon.

88. Toof_75_75 says:

@DWMILLER: HAHA PBR, ftw.

89. Bladefist says:

Consumerist: I like alcohol related posts. Some of the friendliest bantering this site has ever known.

90. snowmentality says:

Dude, if you’re in Greensboro, get thee to M’Coul’s and drink some decent beer. Nice roof balcony, too. Great for a summer evening.

Although I did always find it highlarious that the convenience store on Tate Street put up in big letters: WELCOME STUDENTS – KEGS AVAILABLE.

91. thebaron says:

I would not touch that swill called Iron City, but really I don’t dig beer (a few imports and lagers in a blue moon). Bring out the single malt scotch!! Now that is great booze!

92. drjayphd says:

@Bladefist: I think we could get just about everyone to reach across the aisle in support of this endeavor.

93. FishtownYo says:

Philly does have a good beer scene. I travel alot and another place that surprised me was Boise, ID. They have quite a few bars with great selections, still not as good as Philly.

Maybe I’m just showing my hometown pride though. If you visit make sure you go to the Grey Lodge in NE Philly, they rock!

94. Brazell says:

Testicides, or whatever that name was, Yeungling is in 9 states these days, I believe.

The European Beer elitism is such a joke. It doesn’t apply anymore.

95. Gopher bond says:

@MichaelBrazell: Yep, well, 11 including D.C., just went to the website and they have it as a FAQ: Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Maryland, Washington D.C., Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, South Carolina & Alabama.

96. Gopher bond says:

@MichaelBrazell: oh, and it’s “Testsicles”, you know, those frozen Rocky Mountain Oysters on a stick?

97. @andrewe: PBR, my good man.

98. mac-phisto says:

@Toof_75_75: We normally end those debates with some tasty hops-based beverages.

is that where i screw up? we usually chase the whiskey with the debates instead of the other way around.

still finding glass shards on my floor from that last incident….

99. ViperBorg says:

Dude, I need to start working for ALE.

100. thejynxed says:

@Greg P: Troegs is some of the best beer period. They have an awesome ale called Nugget Nectar that is just totally YUMMY.

[www.troegs.com]

101. consumersaur says:

@jammadave: Noooo kidding. I would love to have RC on tap!

102. cainerUNC says:

@Trai_Dep: @Trai_Dep: Why the hatred towards NC Frat Boys? Did you get kicked out of parties when you were in college?

As a former NC frat boy, I can tell you that the only times we bought kegs other than Busch Light and Natty Light were during “Foreign Exchange” nights, when we’d get Newcastle, Pilsner Urquell, and Dos Equis Kegs.

103. burnte says:

This is super common. I worked for a beer distributor for a summer in PA and when we’d run out of kegs of Bud but still had deliveries or sales until the next batch came in, we’d scrape off the Busch sticker and put a Bud cap on it. The low end shit is so bad NO ONE can tell the diff between a Bud or a Busch, esp since they’re from the same brewer.

104. edrebber says:

The judge will probably say he’s going to “throw the keg” at these crooks when he sentances them.

105. RetailGuy83 says:

@GearheadGeek: I don’t know, Applebee’s in my area probably has the best beer. .Not just by brands of whats offered but by quality of presented product. Always Cold, Never flat. And I can get Shiner Bock, Dos Equis, and Rolling Rock at my local bee’s. Maybe not “elite” but still very passable. Also, many Local restaruants in North Texas region carry a varitety of tap beer beyond “ML, BL, and CL” Oh, anyone in north texas that likes Blue Moon, should find a BJ’s and order their house Heffevison, very good.

106. TheRealAbsurdist says:

@Bladefist: “I hate to bring politics into this (thats a complete lie) but I would be all for some sort of governmental social program, to put good beers into the hands of hard working Americans.”

SOCIALIST!!! ;)

Actually, if they used my recipes for lager or California Common (Steam Beer to the hoi polloi) I might have to concur. And yeah, I AM a socialist. ;p ;b Also rather drunk. Was I wearing a hat when I came in here?

107. @Bladefist: Can’t. The various cola companies have incompatible nozzle attachments on those bags of syrup and the pumping equipment.

I used to work at Jack in the Box and I remember in our case Dr. Pepper had a unique connector compared to the rest of the products (which were from Coke).

108. deserthiker says:

@DWMILLER:
    PBR. If it’s good enough for Frank Booth, it’s good enough for me.

And I thought Busch was good beer in North Carolina.

109. Jay Slatkin says:

@cronick: Celebrator! I totally forgot about that stuff. It tastes great and comes with a plastic toy goat.

110. Illiterati says:

ALE guy says this is the first time in 20 years he’s seen this switcheroo, yet they find it being done in 3 completely separate and unrelated bars in Greensboro? Seems unlikely these places just happened to figure out this scam on their own just recently, doesn’t it? I live in GSO and have watched our local officials work bigger scams than this one over the years. I’m guessing these bars just forgot to pay their “ALE dues” or something.

Also, subbing crappy cheap beer for crappy cheaper beer? How much profit could they make on this? Why not sub crappy cheap beer for something with a bigger markup? Which is what makes me think there’s more to this story between ALE and the bars in question.

111. all this talk of beer, and no mention of stone?!?!

/me longtime arrogant bastard drinker, and part-time fine dining brewhouse employee.

112. Mr. Gunn says:

How come everybody’s not saying they could have told the difference, like they are in the vodka thread?

/rhetorical, I know

113. FuzzyPlushroom says:

@testsicles: I coulda sworn it’s up here in New Hampshire. Guess I’ll have to look again.

114. MisterE87 says:

@testsicles: Yes! During my frequent underage drinking parties a couple years ago, Lion’s Head was a mainstay. Now it’s $10/case, and no longer has an inch of sediment at the bottom. They have awesome riddles in the caps, but now that I’m older (and no longer broke), I stick to Hefeweizen. Lion’s head is the only beer that really promised me a hangover.