After a successful pilot program, Macy’s is putting fancy Japanese-style vending machines in 400 of its stores. They’ll sell things like iPods and cameras. Looks like Macy’s will have to add another list of things excluded from its not-very-valuable coupons. [Reuters]

Comments

1. juiceboxonfire says:

Those things are a nuisance. We had one in the juniors department when I worked at Macy’s a year ago. Employees have no control over them, so when they don’t give you your iPod, there’s nothing you can do but call an 800 number. The only thing we got out of it was if we had the best vending machine sale’s in the state, we allegedly got a pizza party.

Also, it constantly played that damn OkGo song that is completely intolerable unless you’re watching the corresponding treadmill video.

2. LoLoAGoGo says:

I saw that last year when i was living in San Diego. Not a fan.

3. DCGaymer says:

These are new? The SF Union Square Macy’s has had theirs for forever. As have quite a few airports around the country.

Then again…I hadn’t thought till now that the downtown DC Macy’s doesn’t have one.

I wonder how long till people start using stolen credit cards to buy items at the vending machine then pawn them?

4. tikuahote says:

I saw those for the first time in the Reno, NV airport. Had to go up and stare at it for a while…can’t imagine buying something from it though.

5. KatieKate93 says:

I recently saw one of these in a Northampton, Massachusetts Stop & Shop (grocery store chain) of all places. Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough quarters ;)

6. joopiter says:

There is one of these things in a Stop & Shop in Shelton, CT. Confused the hell out of me when I first saw it. Who goes grocery shopping and buys an iPod along with their eggs and milk?

7. GearheadGeek says:

Wait wait… inside a DEPARTMENT STORE they have vending machines? Wasn’t some shill for Macy’s a week or two ago saying how wonderful Macy’s is and how it’s great that they’ve destroyed regional store brands for their Great National Sameness, now they’re replacing service with vending machines?? This just makes me want to order things I need online, at least then you EXPECT to get no service from a machine.

8. kerry says:

The Macy’s near me (Old Orchard shopping center in Skokie, IL) has had an iPod vending machine for at least a year, maybe two. Do they install ones with other products, too? Or will they just be expanding the iPod machines?
    They’re very annoying, those machines, they have video advertising that, if memory serves, has loud audio. I feel bad for the employees.

9. quirkyrachel says:

You know, one common complaint of Macy’s is that it isn’t very high class. Hence the reason that when they took over other names, like Marshal Fields, a whole bunch of designers jumped ship and said that they simply wouldn’t work with Macy’s. So about using vending machines to improve classiness image….

10. dantsea says:

I used the one at the downtown Seattle Macys a little over a year ago to buy an iPod. I didn’t do it for the novelty factor as much as this was the place I could buy one without having to travel out of my way to do so. It was quick and convenient, and no one tried to upsell me on accessories or ask if I’d like to apply for a department store credit card.

As far as I know, Macys hasn’t sold electronics for a number of years now, so there no “replacing” going on.

11. Dobernala says:

I heard Japan has vending machines that dispense used underwear! Will Macys be importing these as well?