UPDATE: Reader Receives Apology For Foul-Mouthed FedEx Employees

You may remember reader Matt from the story “No Proof Of Address? FedEx Curses You Out” in which he was treated very rudely by FedEx employees when he could not produce a utility bill needed to pick up his package. We were happy to hear that after our story ran, FedEx contacted Matt and had his package swiftly delivered to him at work. Additionally, he learned that the Maspeth location already had over 50 similar complaints filed, and that FedEx is now diligently trying to update their door tags and email with current information regarding “proof of address.” Matt’s comment, inside…

Hello, I would like to inform everyone that posted or read my article, that I received a call from a corporate executive from FedEx in Memphis, TN who acted very promptly on the matter concerning my recent article and complaint that I filed with FedEx about the Maspeth location. He offered to have someone pick the package up for me right at that time, and deliver it to me at my place of employment.

I reiterated to him that the service provided to me at this location was highly unconscionable, and my main concern was that if in the future I needed to go back to this location would i receive the treatment?? He informed me that their actions were totally uncalled for and that there is an existing investigation regarding not only my complaint but at least 50 other similar issues with this branch, and that they are currently working on providing the customer with policy information on notices, i.e. doortags,emails, etc. also providing me with his email, and direct line in Memphis should I have any further issues.

I have to say that it was very comforting to know that my story was heard and acted on in a way that every customer should be treated on a daily basis.

That’s great news, Matt. It’s good to see that FedEx is still interested treating people with respect, even in Queens.

PREVIOUSLY: No Proof Of Address? FedEx Curses You Out
(Photo: Maulleigh)

Comments

1. heavylee-again says:

So, FedEx, it takes 51 complaints of customers being abused by a location for you investigate? Fifty complaints isn’t quite enough to investigate?

2. DudleyValdorf says:

That location is the absolute worst.  I’ve had several surprise Fed Ex packages delivered to my address in Queens via that branch.  Typically I work from home and am able to accept the packages.  But if I am not around that day and the sender has not chosen to leave the package without signature, I’m screwed.  Fed Ex refuses to work with me by re-sending the package on a date that I am able to accept it.  They insist that I go to their location to pick it up – despite the fact that I have a job that typically works me 16 hours per day, lack a car and their branch is virtually completely inaccessible by public transportation.  What am I supposed to do, shell out fifty bucks on a cab ride to pick up what might only be a Disney screener of Dan In Real Life?

3. SnickerDoodle says:

It took 50 comments to corporate and 1 comment on The Consumerist.

See a pattern?

4. BoomerFive says:

This isn’t “heartwarming” at all to me. It shows me that FedEx still doesn’t care until it’s a public issue. How many other branches have 50+ complaints against them with nothing being done I wonder?

5. Nighthawke says:

I’ll bet that the complaints were turned into numerical stats and were buried in the mountains of reports they have to sift through. It takes one complaint placed by a human to get those stats pulled, parsed and some fact-finding. I hope the clown gets what he so rightly deserves.

6. ARPRINCE says:

@SnickerDoodle: EXACTLY!

7. nursetim says:

Maybe the caffeine hasn’t kicked in yet, but when I read Matt’s comments, it looked like there was an investigation already going on at that location.

8. ViperBorg says:

@SnickerDoodle: @ARPRINCE: Seconded.

9. Superawesomerad says:

@nursetim: Exactly. “He informed me … that there is an existing investigation regarding not only my complaint but at least 50 other similar issues with this branch…”

Reading comprehension, people.

10. heavylee-again says:

@Superawesomerad: Right, cuz they’d have no reason to lie about whether an investigation had been in progress yet or not.

11. kathyl says:

Yeah, I gotta call bullshit on the “existing” investigation. That’s just something they say to make it sound like they were on the ball and you were just the unfortunate recipient of their poor treatment because you were unlucky enough to encounter them while the investigation was still “ongoing”.

How long does it take to investigate whether your employees are swearing at people? (Send in one mystery shopper and you know.) How long does it take to read the existing verbiage on the door tags to see if it incorporates the proof of address constraint that you already have displayed at your pickup location? About five minutes.

Yeah, that was all BS. They only started “investigating” when someone at Fedex corporate saw the story on the ‘net.

12. Awesome! The ***holes at the Maspeth customer service counter need to be spanked by corporate HQ, for sure.

13. Breach says:

50? Im guessing the bad publicity sparks them to actually change this.

14. benh57 says:

one time swearing at a customer should be enough to get her canned.

15. BlackFlag55 says:

I’m betting that an entire generation is coming into the work force who have no effing idea that their fracking language skills are deplorable to the point of being effing unhirable.

The stuff I hear in town from out of the mouths of babes is stuff my drill sergeant would have popped me in the kisser for.

16. planetdaddy says:

Some motherf*cker would have been apologizing out of the second mouth I punched into the side of their head.

17. I have contacted FedEx corporate before and found them very responsive. On the other hand, I find rank-and-file FedEx employees to be getting worse and worse in terms of customer service.