The CDC says several large salmonella outbreaks going back to 2006 were started by tainted dog food. “This is the first time human illness has been linked to dry dog food,” says a CDC epidemiologist. Always wash your hands after handling pet food.

Comments

1. So dog food put salmonella in my peanut butter? Is THAT how they make it extra crunchy?

2. DashTheHand says:

Its a good thing they didn’t actually state what the brand names of the dog food were so that we could, you know, protect ourselves and our pets.

3. petrarch1608 says:

yeah but what about your dog?

4. B says:

Also, stop eating dog food.

5. amyschiff says:

@B: that’s what I was going to say.

6. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I wouldn’t wonder if salmonella also contaminated cat food. I lost a badly missed, sweet-tempered, intelligent six-year-old tom due to constant vomiting that the vet could not find a cause for. (I take my cats to one of the very best cat hospitals in the country.) He eventually developed a rare form of heart disease. When the vet autopsied him, she said his colon was so torn up it was a miracle he did not have cancer. She said she suspected repeated bouts of food poisoning.

7. amyschiff says:

@speedwell: sorry to hear the poor little guy went through so much pain =(

8. timmus says:

Can the CDC figure out how salmonella got into the food?

9. Bladefist says:

@B: how do you expect me to stop eating dog food in this recession?

10. amyschiff says:

@timmus: You’d think that would fall under the “Control” part of their organization name. Or maybe it stands for center for disease confirmation. “Yes, this does indeed have salmonella. Have a nice day.”

11. B says:

@Bladefist: By making your own oatmeal, obviously. $.27 per meal.

12. Mr_D says:

@DashTheHand: Dogs and cats don’t get salmonellosis, although it can (and does) appear in their stool. So, wash your hands.

13. loganmo says:

While I would like to blame my dog vomiting from time to time on her eating chicken wing bones and other dog’s poop, I think I will have to switch the blame to her food!

14. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@loganmo: Dogs just do that (but they say that about cats too). Talk to your vet about giving you dog home cooked food for a couple weeks. This is cheap and safe for dogs; it just requires a little extra effort. You might be surprised.

We didn’t feed Bandersnatch any wet food and we did not allow him outside because we live on a busy city street, so he could not be picking up spoiled or poisoned food… other than what gets put into commercial cat food, that is. Switching him to the prescription food helped for a while.

If you ever have a chance to read about the stuff they put in pet food, you could no longer bring yourself to call it food at all. I order in a halfway decent cat food for my cats now. It’s called Evolve, and the ingredient list seems OK. I know they make it for dogs, too. It’s not terribly expensive at Pet Food Direct, even with the shipping, which is murder even considering how heavy the bags are.

15. gig says:

Pretty much all food that is not fit for human consumption (and road kill and euthanized animals and all kinds of nasty crap)gets sent to the pet food plant. If a particular food has salmonella and it is not processed properly at a high enough temperature at the pet food plant, the pet food can cause human illness. If you grab a hand full of the food and then eat your sandwich without washing your hands you can transfer the bacteria to your mouth. Dogs and cats handle this bacteria as well as others such as e-coli usually without having any issue unless their immune system is compromised. They have very short digestive tracts and lots of stomach acid to help with this because they were designed to eat a raw diet.

The problem though is that pet kibble takes longer than a raw piece of meat to digest. A lot longer. So it is in the dogs system for longer than nature intended. Still they don’t typically have an issue. I feed my dog a raw diet of all kinds of meat including chicken, turkey, bison, duck, rabbit, beef and more and he has never had an issue with bacteria.

It is important to wash your hands very well after handling any commercial dog food including treats and after picking up their stool and to not allow children to handle the pet food.