Hey Burger King, This Cigarette Lighter Makes A Less-Than-Ideal Kid's Meal Toy

A South Bend, Indiana family is a little ticked off after finding a cigarette lighter in their child’s Burger King kid’s meal, says WSJV.

The family checked the bag before giving it to their child and are thankful that they did. Now they’d just like to remind other parents to make sure your child’s meal doesn’t contain anything flammable before you toss it into the back seat…

Angela Vanderhuyden says, “I’m really disappointed. I want people to be a little more aware and a little more cautious. It’s something that most parents just say, ‘ya, know here guys’, and hand the bag to the back seat because it’s supposed to be just food, that’s it you know. The food and the toy.”

Good safety tip, Angela.

Lighter Found In Kid’s Meal[WSJV]

Comments

1. Those idiots launched the July 4th promotion pack two months early. Heads will roll.

2. cmdrsass says:

Clearly, this item slipped out of someone’s breast pocket while assembling the order. No need to get your panties in a bunch over it. Lighters these days are kid-safe. If anything, the Burger King food is more dangerous to your kid’s health.

3. Crappy as this may be, lighters can be used for more than lighting cigarettes; crack pipes, water bongs, fireworks…

4. womynist says:

Maybe they should get together with the family that found the crack pipe in the toy truck…

5. SkokieGuy says:

@cmdrsass: Bunched panties only come with when you super-size.

Okay, FLAME-broiled references in 3….2…..1….

6. smallestmills says:

Some kids smoke when they color, some kids smoke after they eat, so what?

7. @SkokieGuy: Oh I really hope no one makes the reference…

8. Ben Clayton says:

@cmdrsass:

Well put.

9. I live in South Bend, and if this is the worst of their problems, they are blessed.

10. I’m betting the lighter is worth more than any actual toy the kid would have received.

11. JDAC says:

Unfortunate, etc etc…

But what the hell does ‘ya, know here guys’ mean?

12. Me - now with more humidity says:

Blaming the kid in 3… 2… 1…

13. @smallestmills: I don’t know if you’re in NY, but here we have these awful public service announcements to stop people from smoking in houses with kids, and they have cute little kids saying things like “I smoke after my nap”, “I smoke when I’m coloring”. Anyway the message is good (secondhand smoke is bad for kids) but the commercial is a bit weird.

14. trecool95 says:

What’s more dangerous, the lighter or the food from BK?

15. highmodulus says:

The irony is that same parent saw nothing wrong with feeding their kid Burger King.

Bic bad, diabetes not so much?!?

16. Yoooder says:

I got a pet beetle with my egg McMuffin from McDonalds a few months back. He was better than any toy, and probably would have been more nutritious than any McDonalds if I’d eaten him.

17. orielbean says:

Don’t feed your kids that crap. Save them while there’s still time.

18. theblackdog says:

@cmdrsass: Why the hell was the person carrying a lighter in their breast pocket in the first place?

19. Murph1908 says:

How is this simple accident worth any more than a quick discussion with the manager?

Telling the world to be more aware is not going to end simple, minor accidents such as this.

20. WingZero987 says:

@Murph1908: QFT. It’s a random occurrence. In fact, with the amount of food processed by these chains, stuff like this is just about guaranteed to happen statistically.

21. Aphex242 says:

Thank god they’re not suing.

22. smallestmills says:

@generalhousewifery:

Yah, we get those lovely commercials here, too. That’s where I ripped the line from.

23. diddy0071 says:

@Ash78: I can ALREADY SMELL a lawsuit brewing. It seems to me that the light might have just accidentally fallen in. I mean, I doubt Burger King orders batches of lighters to include in each kids meal. It’s a simple mistake, which as ANY good parent should do, they inspected the meal and found the lighter. A simple apology should be suffice (it would be for me) and a little compassion from the management stating how sorry they are, and a promise to inform that it will never happen again.

24. diddy0071 says:

@theblackdog: Sometimes people smoke cigarrettes. I know, it’s a wierd thing to do, but people do it.

25. golfinggiraffe says:

@theblackdog: uh, because that’s a pretty standard place to carry a lighter if you smoke?

26. LUV2CattleCall says:

And some fags smoke people!

27. @cmdrsass: I have to agree with you; it looks like it was almost certainly an accident. And whose job is it to check the bag before handing it to their kids, anyway?

No harm in this one, and no foul.

28. MrJames says:

More importantly, where the hell are all the Indiana Jones toys? Manhattan is still distributing the Iron Man promos…

29. strells says:

Can someone explain what “ya, know here guys” means?

30. mariospants says:

It’s actually part of Burger King’s do-it-yourself Flame Broilingâ„¢ Kit.

31. vanderleun says:

Puh-lease, Consumerist in general and Meg in the specific, use YOUR HEAD when doing items like this.

Do you really REALLY think for one Moment that Burger King has some sort of plot going on to get lighters into bags.

Do the REALLY REALLY stupid parents think so?

You folks at Consumerist have more than enough good items every day to fulfill your mission. Lame items like this don’t help you and, in fact, undercut the good items.

Marco, go to your room until you get a sense of proportion.

32. Jesse in Japan says:

Who says it’s a cigarette lighter? Lighters can also be used for torching stuff.

33. flipx says:

Really some of you should get a job writing for late night T.V. some of it is way to funny…