AT&T Loses Your Phone Number While You're Serving In Iraq, Says No Upgrade For You

Reader Nicholas is in the military, and while he was serving in Iraq, AT&T decided to give his phone number to another customer. When he returned, he asked for the number back, but was refused. The rep then convinced him that he needed to sign a new 2 year contract in order to reactivate his number. Naturally, right after he did this, his phone broke, and now AT&T is telling him that he’ll have to wait until 2009 to get a decent upgrade.

Nicholas writes:

My wife and I have been Cingular/ AT&T customers for many years now. I am in the Marine Corps and therefore travel is normal. Back around 2005, my wife and I purchased Motorola Razors while I was stationed in Florida. Great phones at the time, but with time they break. In 2006, I moved to Camp Lejeune, N.C. and was told I was deploying for Iraq in March of 2007 for 7 months. I called customer service and told them of my orders to Iraq and that I wanted to suspend my account until I return to the U.S.

They required me to fax a copy of my orders to complete the process, which I did, and confirmed by a phone representative that everything was good and that when I returned from Iraq that my number will be intact and ready for use once I called and reactivated it. Around my 6 month mark in Iraq; my wife mailed my cell phone to me so I could use it to call her and my family once I arrived on U.S. soil to catch up on much lost time. In October 2007, I redeployed back to the U.S. and once I had the chance, I turned my phone on and AT&T attempted to contact my wife to let her know that I was very close to being able to finally hug her and meet my new daughter.

Unfortunately this wasn’t possible since I had no service. After much troubleshooting, I finally borrowed a friends phone and called my wife and got to finally talk to her and let her know that I was coming home really soon at someone else’s expense since I was borrowing their phone. My wife informed me that she attempted to reactivate my phone but that AT&T/Cingular dropped my line and it was no longer in use. I told her not to worry about it and that I would take care of it once I got to our home. Once I arrived home and got finished catching up with my wife and meeting my new daughter, I finally had a few moments to find out what happen to my number.

I talked to a phone rep and personally went to the AT&T/Cingular store to discuss the matter and got the same response from both: They dropped my line and the number was in recycling and that there was no way possible for me to ever get the number back. Everyone knows that this is a big pain in the butt since I had that number for many years and all my family, friends and other acquaintances’ knew that number. So I begged and begged but it got me nothing. I finally agreed to a new phone number. I had to renew to a new 2yr contact on our family plan. Note that I only got a phone number and not a phone upgrade, therefore the Motorola Razor I have is still from 2005.

Around 2 weeks ago my phone started acting up badly. Now it has acted up in the past but only for moments here and there. But this time it was not functional. Every time I attempted to place a call, send a message or answer a call, the numbers 3 and 4 automatically dialed and dialed and dialed and dialed and dialed. I couldn’t make or answer any calls. I figured I had the phone for a long time, and it was about time for an upgrade. A buddy told me about AT&T premier and that the military gets discounts on phones. So I looked into the deal and found it was true. I searched for my new upgrade and found a beautiful refurbished Samsung Blackjack II for only $49.99. Wow! What a deal, right??? I was truly excited just like everyone gets with a new purchase of anything. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on the phone and start playing with the new features and upgrades. So I stared to process my order, but it was denied and said I was available for a upgrade until June 2009.

I knew this was a sure mistake since I had the phone since 2005. So I called the customer support and began one heck of a journey with no outcome. Before I go any farther, I must say that all the representatives I talked to remained very professional and never lost their patience with me even though I really did towards the end except one representative whom you will here about. Ok, so I call about two weeks ago and explain the whole above situation. The lady on the phone seems very understanding and attempts to do something while I sit on hold. After minutes the only thing she can do is put a ticket in and have the upgrade reversed so it would state I was available for an upgrade and that she would call in 48 to 72 hrs to update me on the situation. I agree. About a week later I get a call saying that nothing has happened yet and the ticket is still processing. A few more days go by and nothing. So I become very impatient and call customer service and explain everything again for a second time.

After about 1:15 minutes on the phone, the only resolution I get is a force upgrade but I had to purchase the phone right there over the phone. So for the phone I wanted it would’ve cost me roughly over $200 vice $49.99 on the AT&T premier website. I told the rep that this is unsatisfactory and that I want the deal that I deserve to get. I explained that it was AT&T that screwed everything up by removing my original phone number and that they are accountable and responsible to fix the solution so I can get the same options as any other customer. The rep told me he couldn’t do anything else. So I asked for a manager or supervisor. Finally I got on the phone with “Don.”

I explained my story for a third time and got the same result. Nothing!!! About this time, I had run out of patience and niceness. So I let this supervisor know my frustrations and that I wanted this issue resolved like yesterday. After much debate, he committed to call me today at 1:00pm central time. I gave him my work phone number since I don’t have a functional cell phone to answer. I let him know that I will be waiting at the time he gave me and that I couldn’t wait around longer than a 1/2 hour since I was working. Well 1:00 rolled around and the phone hadn’t rang. 1:30 rolled around and nothing. I left and did some things to finish up for the day. I got back to my office around 2:10 and no messages from this gentleman. So I called customer service again and gave my story for the fourth time. The lady I spoke with was very helpful and very nice as she tried to rectify my situation. But she couldn’t do nothing but submit another ticket which would take more unwanted time. She said I would get a call around May 13th with an update.

I told her that this was unsatisfactory, bad service and bad business. She went on to apologize for some other reps mistakes. At the same time I was speaking with this lady, Don called me on my other work number. I told the lady that the rep finally had called me and we ended our call. Don went on to apologize for his tardiness and that he had to take care of another customer that had called after me the night before and it was urgent. URGENT??? So what is my situation, I’m thinking now. This guy or company couldn’t give a care about me or my loyal services. For the past at least 7 years I have paid every bill on time and advertised too many friends and family on how great their service was. Anyway, he proceeded to tell me that there was nothing he could do but to let the trouble ticket run its course and that by Monday I should hear something better.

I explained once again that this treatment was unsatisfactory and very rude and that I couldn’t believe that AT&T couldn’t rectify my situation in a timely manner. I explained that I couldn’t even believe that AT&T wouldn’t just give me the upgrade over the phone with the AT&T premier price or even lower for all the unnecessary bull had to deal with. He said he was sorry and asked if there was anything else he could do for me. I laughed at him and told him that he didn’t do anything in the first place and that I wanted out of my contract from AT&T due to their negligence. But he told me I couldn’t get out of the contract. So that brings me to now and writing this thread. I ask for help from the community on my situation and how do I get this issue fixed and my contract ended so I can get with a provider that is for the customer and the needs of the customer.
The supposed ticket that AT&T customer service submitted originally was supposed to be processed by 10:00 on Saturday 10 May. Well Saturday rolled around, then Sunday and now Monday. And nothing has come from the situation. It still remains unanswered and without resolution. And I still sit here with a non-functional phone while I pay for the service and the inability to call or take calls from people. Thanks AT&T.

AT&T shouldn’t have forced to you to sign a new 2 year contract in order to correct their mistake, but you already know that. Unfortunately, you are probably stuck with the contract unless you’re willing to pay the ETF to get out of it.

We suggest that the best thing to do would be to launch an EECB (executive email carpet bomb) at AT&T in the hopes of catching the attention of someone at AT&T who has the power to get you the upgrade you deserve. Here’s come contact information for you. Go get ‘em. For more information about launching an EECB, click here.

Comments

1. Binaryslyder says:

First off, thank you for your service to our country. Second, go buy a prepaid phone.

My AT&T phone broke and they told me to stuff it. I went to walmart and bought a $20 gophone and was back on my way within hours. Just swap out the sim card.

2. womynist says:

3. noquarter says:

AT&T Loses Your Phone Number While You’re Serving In Iraq, Says No Upgrade For You

No. Those things happened to Nicholas, not me. There are currently three posts in a row on Consumerist with these types of trash-journalism headlines. Please, please, stop.

4. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@womynist:

Well, he is in the Marines you know. :D

5. VA_White says:

@womynist: OMG use a fucking comma every now and again! I can’t even get past paragraph #3. Oh, the run-on sentences and lack of punctuation!!!

Uh, he’s a Marine. They aren’t trained to use commas. They are trained to shoot things.

6. Asvetic says:

I went through a slightly similar situation. My phone is junk (Ericsson W580) and I wanted to upgrade to an LG Shine when Amazon was having their 1 cent sale a month ago. Obviously, I was denied. So, I called AT&T and they said that I wasn’t eligible for an upgrade until March 2009 (1.5 years into my 2 year contract.) They also said that if I wanted to get a new phone I had to buy it specifically through them, and not a 3rd party.

It was complete bullshit. Amazon was going to pay the full price and offer me the 1 cent deal, but AT&T didn’t want any of it. In the long run they would be benefiting from it anyway, since they’d get the $$ for the new phone, and the extended contact I was willing to get.

I don’t even know why they denied it, probably some lame ass POLICY for no reason at all.

7. bsalamon says:

@womynist: This post is properly punctuated.

8. egoebelbecker says:

Wow, snarkage in the first comment.

I guess the next step is to start blaming the victim in the actual story. Maybe someone can arrange a court-martial for him?

9. mike says:

There really isn’t any excuse for it.

10. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@egoebelbecker:

No, that was advice. The 2nd, 3rd & 4th comments were snarkage. And this one. :D

11. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@linus:

You say that like they have reasons to treat everyone else with disdain?

12. matsayz says:

.@womynist:
    oi! whats with the hating on people who can’t write like a english major?? i really can’t stand it when you people start getting picky. if YOU can’t stand reading it then shut up and click back to another article. DO NOT write a stupid WASTE OF MY TIME comment i have to read. it’s really not necessary at all.@womynist:

13. mike says:

@Jaysyn: No…well, I would think that there would be less distain for people that risk their lives for the company to make money.

14. dorianh49 says:

@matsayz: AN English major. ;)

15. matsayz says:

@dorianh49: smartarse!!! damn this non-editing of previous posts!

16. akronharry says:

Reminds me of the old joke: What did the English major say to the engineering major?
    “Would you like that supersized, sir?”

17. camille_javal says:

@womynist: I’m not sure, but I think those little short, squiggly lines near the bottom of the letters, coming between words, are commas. There are a bunch of them. The only paragraph where comma use really seemed to disintegrate was the last, which sounded as though the writer was probably remembering how annoyed he is at AT&T.

If you’re going to complain about grammar or punctuation, I would recommend confirming that there is a legitimate problem.

18. dragonfire81 says:

Ah yes, trouble ticket hell like I mentioned in a previous thread. When I was at Sprint, I saw tickets that went unresolved for MONTHS and even then all we were told we could do was either wait or resubmit them (more waiting).

An EECB is a good idea, also maybe contact your local news station. A soldier being screwed by a company like AT&T might be worth a story for them.

19. Pro-Pain says:

AT&Trash is the worst. Steer clear of this company in every way possible. I wouldn’t even leave Sprint for these guys. That says it all…

20. Balisong says:

@linus: Cell phone companies are becoming nortorious for treating military people with such distain.

This is because people don’t write to websites with their cell phone problems saying things like “I am an electrician and this is what happened when I called my cell phone company.” It only seems like the military is getting the short end of the stick because they have to start their story with “I was in Iraq for a long long time and therefore…”

Everyone please think these things out logically before complaining that such-and-such company doesn’t support our Freedom Warrior Champion Gods. I’m sick of it.

21. The_Legend says:

Looks like the AT&T goon squad put their posters on this one. I’ve been thru ATT hell. Ask one that has. Sprint customer service is heaven compared to trying to deal with the jacknuts at AT&T.

22. Buran says:

Normally, I hate it when someone uses their job as a “don’t you know who I am!?!” crutch, but isn’t there a law against what AT&T did? Maybe look into your legal options and get a judge to order them to restore your service and number and upgrade eligibility? But ask a real lawyer first before filing anything…

23. KaraLaomedon says:

I have submitted this story so everyone can see what services AT&T is
    providing. It is inadequate and poor service. I didn’t intend for people to
    feel sorry for me by putting some Iraq sob story in my complaint. Nor did I
    do it to get some extra attention. The Iraq part plays into my story since
    it’s were the issues originated. My account was suppose to be on military
    suspension while I was deployed to Iraq for 7 months. Instead, AT&T
    cancelled my account and gave away my phone number. The difference between
    me going to Iraq and Bob the electrician going to Kentucky for a conference
    is that I am located in an area of the world were I don’t have the choice to
    use my phone. I promise know one in the military wants any of your sympathy.
    The only thing we ask is your support for what we do when we are over in
    third world countries fighting faceless enemies to protect the very freedoms
    you abuse by bad mouthing us the military force. So your comment, “Everyone
    please think these things out logically before complaining that
    such-and-such company doesn’t support our Freedom Warrior Champion Gods. I’m
    sick of it,” was uncalled for and very ignorant. You’re the type of person
    that I would like to take to one of these countries and have you fight with
    your so called “WARRIOR SPIRIT.” You might get a few enemies kills, but I
    can guaranteed your type will get many of your fellow comrades killed
    because of your lack of common sense and leadership. When I did this
    complaint up, I was still aggravated and very angry about the situation. So
    I just began to write what was on my mind. Never did I think about comma’s,
    exclamation points and periods. I do apologize if your truly offended on how
    this letter is written. I never meant to insult your profession or hobbies
    by misplacing a comma here and there.

24. nmango40 says:

I have submitted this story so everyone can see what services AT&T is providing. It is inadequate and poor service. I didn’t intend for people to feel sorry for me by putting some Iraq sob story in my complaint. Nor did I do it to get some extra attention. The Iraq part plays into my story since it’s were the issues originated. My account was suppose to be on military suspension while I was deployed to Iraq for 7 months. Instead, AT&T cancelled my account and gave away my phone number. The difference between me going to Iraq and Bob the electrician going to Kentucky for a conference is that I am located in an area of the world were I don’t have the choice to use my phone. I promise know one in the military wants any of your sympathy. The only thing we ask is your support for what we do when we are over in third world countries fighting faceless enemies to protect the very freedoms you abuse by bad mouthing us the military force. So your comment, “Everyone please think these things out logically before complaining that such-and-such company doesn’t support our Freedom Warrior Champion Gods. I’m sick of it,” was uncalled for and very ignorant. You’re the type of person that I would like to take to one of these countries and have you fight with your so called “WARRIOR SPIRIT.” You might get a few enemies kills, but I can guaranteed your type will get many of your fellow comrades killed because of your lack of common sense and leadership. When I did this complaint up, I was still aggravated and very angry about the situation. So I just began to write what was on my mind. Never did I think about comma’s, exclamation points and periods. I do apologize if your truly offended on how this letter is written. I never meant to insult your profession or hobbies by misplacing a comma here and there.

25. taka2k7 says:

@Balisong: If you don’t have anything to add, then don’t.

There are those of us who wear the uniform to entitle you to spout off in whatever way you want. All we ask in return is a little respect and some decent customer service.

I’m off on a 1 year overseas assignment. I just bought $100 to keep my gophone credit active for a year . I should probably start a pool to see if I’ll lost my number before I get back.

26. evslin says:

@noquarter: Bitch much? geez

27. Balisong says:

@taka2k7: There are those of us who wear the uniform to entitle you to spout off in whatever way you want.

This war is not about freedom. You aren’t fighting for my freedom in Iraq.

28. calvinneal says:

Buy a Go Phone at Target or Walmart and be done with it.

29. viqas says:

buy a go phone from wireless.att.com they have nicer ones there.

30. aj.online says:

For what it’s worth, I would contact the AT&T Wireless “Office of the President” support line. They helped me after all attempts to get my issue resolved through normal channels failed. AT&T either doesn’t empower their regular phone reps to really help you, or the phone reps must get evaluated on whether they have hurt the bottom line and are unwilling to do anything risky. Sigh.

The phone number is 1-866-220-8446 (for East Coast). Good luck!

31. howie_in_az says:

@Buran: Why bother? OP should’ve taken his business elsewhere after the first screw-up courtesy of AT&T. Write an EECB explaining why he left and enjoy life with another provider.

32. SirDidymus says:

@womynist: You missed a comma after “OMG”, moron!

Nicholas – so sorry to hear this! good luck!

33. SirDidymus says:

@Balisong: Electricians rarely need to leave the country and suspend their cell service. Members of the military must frequently do this, and its abhorrent that companies are so negligent with their accounts.

34. WiglyWorm must cease and decist says:

Oh this should not fly at all. I used to sell AT&T cell phones for Radio shack. That 2 year wait is because they give you a major subsidy on the phone. They can’t afford to do it very often without hurting their profit margins. With the two year contract, the subsidy is factored in to the price of the contract.

AT&T customer service can be tricky, but if you’re firm they will usually listen to reason. Be sure to stress that you did not recieve new equipment and the customer service rep should not have placed you under contract because of that. Stress that it should have been a new activation with no contract length.

If possible, get escelated from customer service as soon as possible and in to billing, account services, or… anywhere but the initial customer service line.

Last piece of advice: where did you buy your phone? If you bought it from an AT&T store, then I don’t have much more advice for you (though you could try pleading your case int he store). If you bought it from someplace like Radio Shack or Best Buy, ask them to speak with their account representative. This is a cingular employee who’s has a lot more power than a CSR to keep you happy.

In fact, if you want to get your upgrade and get stone walled with AT&T corporate, explain that you want to upgrade with Best Buy or Radio Shack (or whoever) and explain the situation there and ask them to see if the acct rep can do anything for you. You might be able to get some help that way.

35. GothamGal says:

@womynist:

I’m sorry, but as a woman married to a man in the army, you need to STFU. You have no idea what these people have experienced, and your complaint is punctuation? It must be nice to live in an ivory grammar tower where the peons below risk their safety for your right to complain about their English. People like you disgust me.

36. sogmasta says:

LOL. Everybody relax. The FACT that this guy’s in the military and a huge conglomeration just took advantage of him, thus making said gung-ho post here will resolve itself in no time.

Regardless of how people feel about the War in Iraq, America hates it when companies try to take advantage of solidiers. It makes them look like terrorists.

37. Balisong says:

@SirDidymus: That doesn’t mean people other than those in the military don’t have cell phone issues. I’m just saying, it only seems like there’s a lot of problems between the military and cell phone companies, when the fact is that cell phone companies have crap service all around. It just seems like the military gets more crap service because it’s part of their story when they write in.

38. ninabi says:

Can this man contact the base legal office?
    He followed the rules, AT&T jerked him around as his “reward” for going to Iraq and he’s wasting hours of his time trying to get this fixed.

This would also be a good “heads up regarding AT&T” article for the Air Force Times, Navy Times, etc.

As a spouse of someone who had deployed to Iraq, I say AT&T better make this right and right quick or there will be a shitstorm of bad pr in the military community.

39. matsayz says:

@ninabi: i doubt Legal could do anything. as it doesnt have anything to do with the military. i tried to have them take up my case of being assaulted offbase and they said yea no, call this number for civilian laywer. laaame. i did and now i’m in bizness, anyway.

AF Times and the other papers have run stuff like this and our base paper has too. i’d say submit the post to them all and CC att higher-ups and see what happens. if the phone number is in use then im sure its gone for good which sucks. but im sure an upgrade for free would be reeeeally easy.

@Balisong: you are very correct. see it’d be one thing if say in the middle of my 2yr contract with att i just wanted to turn my phone service to “standby” for say 4-8mos. but when you fax/mail them US Gov’t deployment orders that are notarized by your Commander it’s a different story(which in a previous cell phone post a your Commanders signature can take place of a notary).

40. VA_White says:

Many contracts do have a special military clause in the lease. It’s why it’s always a good idea for active duty members to sign up with cell service using the military discount code because those contracts usually have a military clause. This means if you get deployed for an extended period of time you can temporarily suspend service or if you move someplace where your carrier can’t serve you, you can get out of the contract early without paying the ETF.

It sounds like this Marine did what he was supposed to do when taking advantage of his military clause: he sent them a copy of his orders for verification and AT&T, as they are wont to do, fucked it all up.

It makes his military service not just relevant but key to his complaint.

41. Buran says:

@howie_in_az: Imagine the hassle of having to change your phone number… there’s a good reason why number portability had to be enacted before it really became feasible for many to leave their provider and why churn shot up dramatically when LNP became the rule.

The OP wanted his/her number back. I can’t fault that at all but I can fault the people who said it was all impossible. It’s possible, they just don’t want to do it.

42. samson says:

$22 million package for AT&T CEO

Web Posted: 03/11/2008 09:37 PM CDT

Sanford Nowlin
    Express-News Business Writer

It’s good to be CEO. Just ask AT&T Inc.’s Randall Stephenson.

As top executive of the San Antonio-based phone titan, Stephenson Stephenson received a salary, bonus and other compensation valued at $22 million in 2007, according to a company financial filing made Tuesday

[www.mysanantonio.com]

Do CEO deserve that kind of pay

43. mikecolione says:

If you didn’t get a phone, you shouldn’t be on a 2 year contract. If he were in my area I’d override the upgrade and match the price.

The reps should be able to look up his old account to see what happened. They should also be able to see he didn’t get a phone when he activated his new number. That alone should give that rep a good enough reason to override the upgrade.

Where is he from?

44. nmango40 says:

@mikecolione: That’s what I thought from the begining. But a few weeks later and many hours on the phone have proven that isn’t the way it happened. I could have easily just used my phone insurance and got me a replacement, but I took the upgrade route first because I’m entitled to one. Then all hell broke out and now I am in a war with AT&T. And they are kicking my ass. I’m from the North Carolina.

45. SayAhh says:

@sogmasta: do what a co-worker of mine does when he runs into hurdles (btw he’s also a military veteran): he contacts his Congressman. Seriously. And the scary part is, shit gets done. All because he was a veteran.

46. con-sue-md says:

This doesn’t happen in the stores I work in. We can match the premier site, reverse the contract and override upgrade. Pretty simple stuff.

47. nmango40 says:

Still no resolution as of today.

48. Serpephone says:

Send an email bomb.

49. dumblonde says:

This is not about being in the military or not. The whole point of this is that they claimed they were going to do something and did not carry their end of the bargain. In other words, it was bad business practice. Pure and simple. Apart from the email bomb, I suggest you go see whatever government agency you have available to you for consumer affairs. What they did was wrong and I may even dare say illegal because you had an agreement and they broke it. File a complaint with the FTC and you state’s consumer affairs bureau.

50. dumblonde says:

Oh yeah and the Better Business Bureau can also help you in dispute mediation. Good luck! And if that doesn’t work you can always threaten them with Small Claims Court.
    Good luck and even though I don’t fully agree with the military, I thank you for your service.

51. nmango40 says:

It is so sad that I have to go through this situation at all. ATT made a huge error by giving my number away and I took the bullet on that and moved on. Now this upgrade thing and they still will not accept responsibility. Bad business and poor customer service.

52. nmango40 says:

I finally got a call today from ATT. I submitted a complaint with the BBB and they called to work this issue out. The lady I spoke with told me she would send me referb phone I want at the premier website price. That’s it. I told her that I was not accepting this offer and that I already submitted my only two options for ATT. I told her I know ATT wouldn’t accept my offer of sending me the BJII for free and paying my unlimited data and messaging for the remainder of my 2yr contract, therefore the only other option is to cancel my contract without penalty. And this includes my wifes line also, so we can move on to another carrier. She tried to stall and then went on to tell me she might have a referb phone in her office that she would send for free. I went on to briefly summarize the whole situation and what actions ATT has lacked. I asked her if she even looked at the notes and case files. She didn’t. She wasn’t in her office and said she would look over them when she got back to the office. I told her to look over everything because I am really aggrevated with ATT and then call me back. She agreed to call me back tomorrow afternoon after looking at the notes. So what I get out of this, is that nothing good is going to come from the whole situation but me getting screwed once again. But I’m willing to see what this lady rep is going to say, so I will hold off on further action until her phone call. I’ll keep you updated.

53. nmango40 says:

Issue closed: ATT is sending me a new BJII and not requiring me to sign a new 2yr contract. I can continue where I’m at and not renew at the end.