EECB Scores Direct Hit On Delta's $25 Extra Bag Fee

Reader Justin got hit with Delta’s new $25 extra bag fee on the way home from his vacation to West Palm Beach. He turned to the dreaded EECB (Executive Email Carpet Bomb) to get his $25 refund. Let’s listen in:

To: gerald.grinstein@delta.com; james.whitehurst@delta.com; Macenczak, Lee; joseph.kolshak@gmail.com; Gleaves, Daiquiri; anthony.black@delta.com; katie.connell@delta.com; gina.laughlin@delta.com;

Cc: airconsumer@dot.gov

Subject: Unfair $25 Charge

To Whom This May Concern,

I bought 2 tickets to West Palm Beach from Boston on January 29th.

[redacted]

For the Trip down we brought 3 checked bags with no charge. To my surprise on our return trip we were charge $25 for the 3rd bag.

While I do understand the fee I believe that I should be reimbursed this $25 as it was not agreed to at the time of purchase or at the time of departure.

I appreciate any help that can be given in this matter,

-Justin

Delta replied:

Thank you for your email to our executives. They asked that I reply on their behalf.

I also left you a voice message. As a one time exception, I will be happy to refund the $25.00 fee. Could you please provide me with a mailing address to send the check?

Once received, I will process the check and you should receive it within 7 to 10 business days.

Thank you again for writing and for your business. We hope you chose Delta again when your plans call for air travel.

All my best,

Greg Ingram
Executive Assistant

If you’re running into a wall with your customer service problem, the EECB can be mighty effective. For more information about launching your own EECB, click here.

(Photo: So Cal Metro )

Comments

1. dronnac says:

Might not be related but that reminded me what happened to me on Wednesday when I had to Travel with Delta. I’ve been charged $3 (ok, no drama, I’m speaking of the principle here) for checking my first luggage, I just had a small one, for which I asked where and when this new policy came from as the only one displayed was the $25 one for the second luggage. I didn’t have the time to argue about 3 bucks, I had better to do, I paid and left. On my trip back home, I expected to be charged again, who knows now with this new fees popping up like pop-ups, but no, the policy was this time respected, you’re only charged for the second item you check-in not the first.

That may make me sound as a bitter idiot but I just wanted to report this. Don’t trust Delta employees some of them might be thieves.

2. BigElectricCat says:

Gerry Grinstein’s no longer Delta’s CEO. But FWIW, he’s a real standup guy and did a lot to turn Delta around in the last few years.

3. jwarner132 says:

Did he exhaust all normal channels before turning to the EECB?

4. Landru says:

A nicely written and to-the-point letter/email. Congratulations!

Their response was a bit chilly, particulary the “As a one time exception…” line, implying “Don’t try this again. ” No sign of an apology either.

5. thirdbase says:

Glad you got satisfaction. Just curious West Palm Beach is a vacation spot? like yeah if your really really really old. Like at least 80.

6. jrr316 says:

Justin Here,

I argued with the attendant at the Delta Kiosk and called customer service with no result before turning to the carpet bomb.

Oh and 3rd Base, West Palm Beach is where the in-laws live so I guess you could call it a trip rather than vacation :)

7. Buran says:

@jrr316: And my now-ex boyfriend lived in the area so before he dumped me I flew into FLL all the time.

8. acknight says:

Hence why I’m glad AA’s fee wasn’t instituted on all flights, just all flights booked after a certain date (today, incidentally). Since I booked my summer trip months in advance, I get to skip that fee (for this trip).

9. am84 says:

@dronnac: I don’t think you sound bitter – $3 or $300, it’s still money coming out of your pocket. Half the time I never have cash on me, so I wouldn’t have been amused if this surprise fee had been sprung on me, either.

10. I’d have to agree. That was a great e-mail: short, to the point, and not at all whiny or obnoxious.

Nice work, Juice!

11. LUV2CattleCall says:

Gleaves, Daiquiri:

With a name like that….no wonder she couldn’t get a job at AA!

12. Me - now with more humidity says:

Congrats! Simple, to the point and asking for a specific resolution. A+++ Consumer!! (oops, sorry… wrong thread)

13. Paladin_11 says:

@dronnac…

Are you sure the $3 charge wasn’t a fee charged by a skycap? Some airlines (for instance United) charges a separate fee if you use a skycap instead of carrying your own bag to the counter.

14. JustThatGuy3 says:

@dronnac:

Did you do curbside checkin? If so, they charge $3 for that. If you take it to the counter, no charge.

15. Mr. Gunn says:

Nailing people on the return leg of a trip they’ve already booked and paid for is low, low, low.

It’s also bait-and-switch.

16. Bagumpity says:

Here’s what you can do: Pack your bags so they’re about 1lb overweight. Then when they try to charge you, make them wait while you take out one item at a time. Take the bag off the scale, remove one item, zip up the bag, put it back on the scale. Then when you’ve wasted about $25 dollars (about 1/2hr of what it costs to keep a gate agent at her podium when you add up salary, equipment, etc), go back into your bags and pull out a big bag of rocks, or a couple of bricks or maybe a rusted out wheel. Then hand it to the gate agent and say “you know, I don’t really need this. Can you throw it away for me?”