Holland America: Sorry, You And Your Wife Are Too Young To Go On Your Honeymoon

Reader Austin and his fiance will be married on May 22, and their honeymoon cruise leaves May 29… without them. Holland America says that Austin (23), and his bride to be, Kelly (20) are too young to sail. Austin says he wasn’t told about this restriction when he booked and paid for the cruise.

Austin writes:

I don’t know if you can answer or can help in anyway, but I’m desperate.

I booked a 20 day Mediterranean Cruise with Holland America back in February for my Honeymoon. My wedding is May 22 and the ship leaves May 29. I am 23 and my new bride to be is 20. I have paid for everything already, the airlines, hotel in Rome, and cruise.

However, they have just informed me that they are not going to let us sail because Kelly, my wife, is too young. We are 2 weeks away from our wedding!!! They didn’t inform me of this before, nor do they say anything on their website. Because I am not over 25, they are denying us. On other websites, age requirements are waived for married couples if they are both over 18 and can show proof of marriage.

What should I do???

Well, Austin. We contacted Holland America for a comment on your situation but our requests for information were ignored.

We then took a look at their policy on passengers under 21 (which is on their website, but it’s buried):

It seems that, unlike other cruise lines, they do not make an exception for young married couples. This is something they really should have told you when you booked the cruise.

We then took a look at their cancellation policy and have some more bad news, unless you paid for a “Cancellation Protection Plan” you may be in trouble. Holland America’s website doesn’t disclose how large the cancellation fee will be, but they do say: ” Cancellation fees apply regardless of the reason for cancellation, including medical and family matters. “

We’re not travel experts, so we’re going to toss this one out to the crowd. Anyone know how to get Holland America to make an exception? Anyone want to be Austin and Kelly’s chaperone?

(Photo: Todd Stewart )

UPDATE: It seems Austin and Kelly have a heroic travel agent:

WE ARE GOING ON OUR CRUISE!!!!!

My travel agent drove over to tell me the news, because she was so excited and couldn’t do it over the phone. She had got a call from her HAL rep at 8AM, 6AM Seattle time, who had been pushing this case with Holland America.

The HAL rep’s name was Alicia and I want to give a big thanks to her for really sticking it out for us. I know she had to reopen our case and go above and beyond to find someone who would listen. She said she got a call at 1AM from her director who was told that we would be allowed to board. I am so excited!!!

I can’t thank all of you enough, who kept posting all day yesterday and last night. There was so little hope because HAL had faxed over our cancellation notice yesterday afternoon and were only going to refund $400. But you guys kept talking and spurring debate on this arbitrary age requirement rule of being 25. I know they were listening to all of us, even if they didn’t say so.

If we had gotten no response by this afternoon, I had planned to start using all of your great ideas out there. I’m just so happy it didn’t have to make it to that stage. I’ve been on three HAL cruises with my family and always considered there service the best. That is why I selected them for my honeymoon. I’m so glad they didn’t let me down.

Alicia said it had made her day being able to come in to work early and make that call. It is her birthday too, so an extra Happy Birthday to you and a big thanks from us Alicia. Enjoy the flowers!

And thanks again everyone for your support, ideas, and help in this matter!!!

(Thanks, jamesdenver!)

Comments

1. SonicMan says:

Offer someone on the cruse $100 to say they are your chaperone.

2. B says:

Holland America is right. 20 and 23 is too young to get married. You need to live more of your life first.

3. Chrome says:

This happened to one of my best friends, however they did alert him before he payed. I’m not sure of the cruise line, but they stated the same rules. As long as someone is 25 he and his girlfriend may go, but they can’t go by themselves.

Later,
    Chrome…

4. Megatenist says:

“You must be this tall to ride”

What a stupid policy.

5. Rachael says:

…and people wonder why cruises are often viewed as fun for “old people.” Good job, Holland America!

6. Jon Mason says:

No matter what you think about the rule, there is NO legitimate reason for them not to give you a full refund – and in a reasonable world, they would give you your money back no questions asked. In reality though, they may try and shaft you, you pay by credit card? Chargeback?

7. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

Wow. Personally, you couldn’t get me on one of those big floating cesspools, but that really sucks for the newlyweds. I’m guessing you didn’t use a credit card to pay for everything (chargeback) & I don’t guess that Holland not allowing you to board would be considered “Breech of Contract” where you live?

8. graphikartistry says:

A similar situation happened to me on my honeymoon to San Francisco. I was 24 and I booked the Hotel, Flight, and Car through American Airlines *using FF miles. When we flew into SF the Rent-a-car place wouldn’t rent me a car… After haggling, the best I could get was an economy class ride and a $75/per day surcharge.

If you can pay then you can play! G’luck!

9. Buran says:

YOU didn’t cancel. THEY did. THEY should pay the cancellation fee, not you.

Talk to your travel agent.

10. RefinedbyFire says:

I like Sonicman’s chaperone angle. I’d go for something like that to get in.

11. parad0x360 says:

I’ll go with you, otherwise I hope you paid with a credit card so you can hit them up with a charge back.

12. carso says:

@B: I really hope that this is a sarcastic comment and it just went over my head. Otherwise, that’s just ignorant.

OP: Sorry about your luck, mate. I’d go with the plan to pay another passenger to be your “guardian”. Hell, I’d do it for free.

13. iEddie says:

Chargeback. If that doesn’t work (or if you can’t because you paid with a debit card or another method), small claims court. Sue for the hotel, etc. — EVERYTHING. I’ll guess that you may have paid more than $5K (the small claims limit in most areas), so you may have to go to regular court.

14. iEddie says:

On second thought, don’t bother with a chargeback at all since it won’t get your hotel or other expenses refunded.

15. I’m sure some of the policy is just CYA from under-21 American kids using it as a party cruise.

Then again, if I was dropping what I think you’d be dropping for a 20 day cruise, I would sure as heck get it on good authority from several people at Holland what the age restrictions were before booking.

16. jamesdenver says:

Looks like they’re going after all!

[www.lonelyplanet.com]

17. gamehendge2000 says:

I’m over 25 and would be happy to escort your wife on this trip

18. ThunderRoad says:

1) Chargeback
    2) Civil rights lawsuit (discrimination based on marital status – any half-awake lawyer could survive the motion to dismiss at least).
    3) Talk to another cruise line and offer to write really nice things about them in exchange for them giving you a vacation and getting a chance to bad-mouth their competition.
    4) AG’s office – they’d love to know about all that discrimination stuff.

19. vllygrrl says:

I would agree with those who suggested the “find a chaperone” route. I’m sure if you go on Cruise Critic’s message boards, you would find any number of cruisers who would offer to “chaperone” you for free. That said, I would try to escalate this with HAL – in order to book a room, you must provide all data for all passengers – therefore their system should not have accepted the reservation in the first place.

20. ThunderRoad says:

Nice to see the followup news that they got HAL to get their heads out of their ass and are going.

Phenomenally stupid policy.

21. friendlynerd says:

@B:
    You need to shut your mouth and keep it relevant.

22. graphikartistry says:

*** Wait – you BECOME her guardian I believe when you marry her… That’s why she can Drink in a bar with you.

like 80% sure on this one.

23. Norcross says:

Well, since they get to go, it’s a mute point. However, being that I recently ended up on a horrible Carival booze-cruise, I’m glad to know that Holland America has an age minimum. Keep them in mind for next time.

24. Murph1908 says:

To everyone shouting ‘chargeback’ and ‘sue’, I don’t think he has a case. As HRHKing alluded to, if the restrictions were in place before booking, neither of those options will stand.

His best bet is to use the honey and forgo the vinegar. Try to work something out with the cruise line. Perhaps they’ll allow him to reschedule his trip for when either he turns 25 or his wife turns 21. I know other items are already paid for, but they should have cancellation policies as well.

If the cruise line won’t work with them, perhaps they can somehow, with the power of the interwebs, find another couple on the cruise who would be willing to act as chaperone. There may be legal implications to this, however, and may also not be a good idea. Should his wife get drunk underage, the ‘chaperone’ might be held responsible.

There is only one thing I can see that can help the guy…did he have to give his age and his wife’s age when booking? If so, the agent should have made him aware of the policy.

25. @graphikartistry: Depends on the state. :)

26. @Norcross: Moot point.

27. WayneK2 says:

The party did not cancel, the cruise was not cancelled – the company refused service. They have ample grounds to contest any cancellation fee.

28. Buran says:

@graphikartistry: I thought the under-21 ban on drinking was universal, and the only way to be able to legally drink is to be 21 or over.

29. Perhaps you and your bride could wear fake beards and modify your passports with pictures of your new look? Maybe change your birthdates and add a “beard color” line as well to your passports?

30. Hanke says:

Discriminitory practice. Find a disbarred lawyer and sue. Although they may wave the random third-world country flag the ship is chartered under and escape.

31. @B: What, you can’t live your life with other people in it?

32. Hanke says:

@Buran: Only in the good old US of A.

33. Sockatume says:

@Buran: Or to live in a nation with a lower drinking age. What sort of crazy country wants people to marry sober?

34. @Buran: No, most states allow minors to drink in restricted conditions. Wikipedia has a good map: [en.wikipedia.org]

APIS (whose map it is, and what the key refers to) says:

“APIS codes two types of family member exceptions. First is an exception for consumption with parental/guardian consent and/or parental/guardian presence. Second is an exception for married minors. Like the parent/guardian exception, the spouse exception allows consumption when the minor’s spouse is present and/or consents. Some States specify that the spouse must be of legal age, while others do not.

[...] Some jurisdictions limit family member exceptions to specific locations. For example, a minor might be allowed to consume alcohol with parental consent in their parents’ residence, but not elsewhere.

Some States allow an exception for consumption on private property. States vary in the extent of the private property exception which may extend to all private locations, private residences only, or in the home of a parent or guardian only. In some jurisdictions, the location exception is conditional on the presence and/or consent of the parent, legal guardian, or spouse.

Some States also allow exceptions for educational purposes (e.g., students in culinary schools), religious purposes (e.g., sacramental use of alcoholic beverages), or medical purposes.

Finally, some States prohibit underage consumption only on licensed premises. Because the prohibitions are narrow, APIS codes such States as having no law prohibiting consumption.”
    [alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov]

35. thenotwho says:

Wow – that’s terrible!

Thanks for the tip – I’m 23 and getting married this September. Rest assured that, at the very least, Holland America lost a potential customer.

Sigh. At least we don’t have wrinkles yet.

36. scoosdad says:

You can always tell the commenters who never bother to read the other comments first before posting away anyway.

Problem solved people, nothing to see here! Move along…

37. thrlsekr says:

Can’t understand why people continue to cruise! In this terrorist environment (or Pirate depending where you go) I’m happy to stay in the USA! When you cruise, I believe you are no longer under United States law and in doing so you take your hard earned money from the USA and are supporting these companies that do not abide by the rules we enjoy in making the money spent on these trips. They practically make their own rules. I will never take a cruise. Wonder why our economy is in the condition it is in!

38. NoWin says:

I’m not a big fan of travel-agents, but I will admit, if you have a good one, and he/she saves the day, spread the recommendation.

Holland America: you have a putz policy; clean it up a bit.

39. Azzielucky13 says:

WE ARE GOING ON OUR CRUISE!!!!!

And thanks again everyone for your support, ideas, and help in this matter!!!

40. EliseMagooin says:

WE ARE GOING ON OUR CRUISE!!!
    WE ARE GOING ON OUR CRUISE!!!!!

And thanks again everyone for your support, ideas, and help in this matter!!!
    Austin M. Owens
    Chief Financial Officer
    Owens Financial Network
    Office: (417) 865-2475
    Fax: (417) 865-3133
    _________________________________________________________________
    Get Free (PRODUCT) REDâ„¢ Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics.

41. hatrack says:

When I first read this story I assumed the guy booked the cruise himself. Maybe just on the internet or something. I pretty much thought he was hooped unless somebody at Holland America decided be reasonable and at least give him full refund.

It turns he actually had a travel agent who I assume booked it for him. She should have known about the age restriction. I don’t see how he could be held accountable for her oversight. She’s supposed to be the professional. She’s being paid to take care of these details.

42. Aphex242 says:

@thrlsekr: You might want to make sure you’re getting plenty of oxygen over there, I think I detect hypoxia.

Kidding aside, I think you should really consider your “I only spend my money in America” stance, given that the profits of 90% of the products in your home go to places where “companies do not abide by the rules we enjoy in making the money”.

Yeah.

43. blackmage439 says:

23? Married? HOW do you afford a 20-day CRUISE?!

44. thirdbase says:

There are some larger boats that you can board at 18. However they are owned by the navy and you have to reserve a 4 year tour.

45. PicketFence says:

I’m glad they were able to work it out. I took a honeymoon cruise with my husband (almost one year ago to the day) when he was 21 and I was 20. We had no problems booking or boarding, but were required to bring our marriage certificate to prove we were legit since I was underage at the time.

46. Dervish says:

@Eyebrows McGee: That was fascinating – being well over 21 it doesn’t apply to me anymore, but I had no idea there were exceptions for marriage.

I’m glad the couple in question was able to get this worked out – kudos to their travel agent. I guess this is one reason to still enlist their help, in this era of online booking sites. I feel sorry that they had to worry about this at all (yes, even though it was in the rules) – people already have enough going on just before a wedding.

47. smallestmills says:

@thrlsekr:

Cruising with potential Pirates sounds exciting, THRILLING even. If I were to ever seek a thrill, it would have to be on a lawless ship where the rules could change at any time. That’s just me. Or I could just be quiet and go to Six Flags, whatev.

48. TPK says:

The most amazing part of this story is that they a) used a travel agent who b) booked a young 20s couple on a Holland America cruise!

Good that they get to go, but they will be the youngest passengers on the entire ship, probably by about 40 years!

Maybe they will get lots of “adopted grandparent” wedding gifts?

49. InThrees says:

@B:

Agreed! And what better way to stop these kids from living more of their life than preventing them from experiencing… an enriching… vacation… wait.

50. Juggernaut says:

What, no pictures of the blushing bride? If you can’t get on the boat, call me about my dinghy…

51. erratapage says:

My only question is why Holland America?

52. @Dervish: I made good use of the consumption exceptions in my state as a teen, as my parents took a more European view of alcohol, and preferred to raise us to view alcohol as something to be enjoyed, in social settings, in moderation, and not a magical mystery fun-maker that unlocks when you level up to age 21. I started having half a glass of wine on special occasions at family dinners when I was about 14; by the time I went to college, there was no mystery about alcohol and my attitude toward drunkenness and drinking to get drunk was that it was pretty tacky.

Not that I didn’t indulge in some drunkenness later on, but it really took law school to drive me to it. :D

53. Geekybiker says:

Glad it all worked out. Holland is kinda a stuffy upper end line though and I’m sure that the rule is to keep out the spring break college party crowd. I don’t care so much about college kids on a cruise, but I could deal without the young children.

54. rmz says:

@blackmage439: A number of us have decent jobs.

55. Lucky225 says:

Damn, Me and my wife are both over 25, you could have took us ;)

56. sublicon says:

So glad it worked out! Congratulations!

57. marcduke says:

TPK is exactly right. I’m glad you get to go, but your Travel Agent did you a disservice by booking you on a cruise line that caters to the 60 and over crowd.

58. @blackmage439: I would assume they started by earning money and then setting some of it aside until they had enough to pay for the cruise, but maybe they did something outlandish you never really know.

59. jimv2000 says:

At 20 and 21, my wife and I were almost too young to get a rental car.

60. Byzantine says:

Holland America sucks. They don’t let you drink alcohol over the age of 18 once you are out in international waters. From what I’ve heard, other cruise lines allow for this.

Holland America is a line oriented for older folks. They don’t want us young-uns running around and upsetting the elders.

Our friend should have picked a different cruise line, or no cruise at all, since you couldn’t get me to ever go on a such a regimented, crowded, and unrelaxing style of vacationing ever again.

Anyways, congrats to the newlyweds and I hope their honeymoon works out.

61. Tmoney02 says:

@thenotwho:

“As a side note, car rental places screw their young customers in a similar way – either you can’t rent a car altogether if you’re under 25, or you have to pay a bogus fee per day.”

Uh… you do no they aren’t actually being spiteful or greedy right? They won’t rent because their insurance won’t allow it or they pay increased premiums so that they can rent to you. You are currently paying “bogus” higher insurance rates because you are a higher risk until 25, when your rates will drop.

Thus the reason you get to have one age requirement milestone left after the big 21, being able to rent a car and lower insurance! Not as exciting as drinking but I’m looking forward to it!

62. Breach says:

what a bs policy, 21 and 25 are adults, why do they need a guardian?

63. jmuskratt says:

@NoWin:

But isn’t the mix up entirely the agent’s fault? I mean, between the OP and the agent, who should know about Holland America’s age restrictions?

64. dugn says:

Just one more reason to pay the $10 or more to have a travel agent. They’re your advocate when needed and they’ll even explain the nuances of travel insurance for those expensive outtings).

We long-ago ditched Expedia, Travelocity and Orbitz after a repeated and a consistent lack of service (many caused by the online booking agencies themselves!)

When you’re in a bind (including a canceled flight), you can call a travel agent to help you out. Which is more than you’ll get with the online travel sites.

Bad customer service at the online shops is resulting in a resurgence for real-life agents who are much more likely to help you out.

65. Anto103 says:

“Guests under 21 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or chaperone who is at least 25 years old; one adult chaperone is required for every five people under the age of 21.”

They don’t consider you a adult at 21? I’m glad I live in Ireland.

66. ChuckECheese says:

The issue here is medical: Under age 25, your immune and GI systems aren’t able to handle the enormous amounts of norovirus and chlamydia that are found on the typical cruiseship. This is why cruise ships only hire people from third-world countries where the lack of medical care, combined with powerful strains of hepatitis and yellow fever, evolve support personnel with indomitable resistance to infection.

Holland America knows that these two married tykes don’t stand a chance–they’re just being realistic. My suggestion is that before this couple goes on a honeymoon cruise, that they build up their systems by becoming Peace Corps volunteers, or maybe getting jobs changing diapers at a day-care for a few months.

67. kathyl says:

Let’s hear it for that travel agent and her contact at HAL! If more companies listened to their customers when they are making a logical and reasonable argument and bent their “rules” and “policies” in the interests of keeping all their customers happy and treating them fairly, there would be a lot fewer unhappy posts on places like The Consumerist.

68. Major-General says:

@B: Says who?

69. To be fair, if you’re under 40 you’re too young to go on a cruise.

70. Toof_75_75 says:

@blackmage439:
    I’m Austin’s age and would have no problem booking that kind of cruise given my income after graduating college and getting a good job. Also, he likely received some financial gifts to help make it possible. Just because I “could” afford it, doesn’t mean I’d spend that much on a honeymoon! Saving money is more fun! ;-)

71. awolcfh5150 says:

Both are old enough to vote, drive a car, join the military and die for our country, the husband can purchase alcohal legally, but sorry, you’re both too young to take a cruise. What a joke!

72. VikingP77 says:

From what I remember whenever I booked a cruise in the past I had to get the birthdays of the passengers. We had to add it to the booking. Did the travel agent screw up in the beginning? They should have known what the ages of the passengers were. I mean I’m glad they are going now but how did this happen in the first place?

73. Lambasted says:

This is a fantastic story. Bravo to the agent for going out of her way to help this couple!! Wow, there are still some people in business who actually like people and want to help them. Great to know.

That agent would have my business for sure if only I knew who she was. Once again, a post about someone who did something good and their name and/or company info is left out. I find that to be a bit ungrateful on the poster’s part. If an agent did something like this for me, I would be shouting their name from the rooftops so everyone would know exactly who she was and where to find her. Oh well.

And bravo to Holland America for ultimately doing the right thing. I understand the need for the age rule but it really should be waived for a married couple on their honeymoon. They aren’t going cause trouble–if they even leave their cabin at all. ;-)

74. archer117 says:

Wouldn’t it be ironic if the young couple totally misbehaved on the cruise?

75. wildness says:

Besides the fact that it is absolutely moronic to get married at such a young age, WTF on the cruise line??? What are they, Big Brother???

76. Consumer007 says:

I’m glad to see this happy young couple got their way. The HAL “customer service” folks are stupid and offensive. The first time I took a cruise on their BRAND NEW maiden voyage ship, the AC was out in my room, they wouldn’t put us in another room or fix it for four days. The fifth day they did show up to fix it, but couldn’t. I called when I got off the ship requesting 50% off for inconvenience (it ruined most of the trip for us) and the pathetic reply was “well, you ate the food…”

I then proceeded with my more extreme version of the Consumerist ECB, which I refer to as the CEO Extortion Communique – in which I spelled out precisely how I would cost his company $10 million in bad publicity over the next decade if he didn’t meet me half way. I got the check the next week…but if he hired people with common sense who gave a damn, I wouldn’t have had to to that.

77. Concerned_Citizen says:

Sounds like the travel agent screwed this up. It should be noted, since the original story is misleading by blaming the cruise line. This is probably why the travel agent got is fixed, the agent was probably desperate. A flop like this could have ruined the agent’s business.

78. richcreamerybutter says:

@awolcfh5150: I agree that inconsistency in the required ages is completely ridiculous (esp in terms of military service and alcohol). However, what’s kind of annoying is that marriage is actually considered a reasonable exception. This really used to chap my ass on financial aid applications. Despite the fact you could be entirely self-supporting, you weren’t considered a “real adult” until the age of 25 unless you were a veteran (totally reasonable), or MAAAARIED.

Sorry, just because you say some vows doesn’t make you more responsible by default than any other 20 year old. What if, for instance an unmarried, mature 20 year old who had worked his or her ass off wanted to take a cruise? Somehow I don’t think you would have half of society advocating on this person’s behalf.

79. aka Cat says:

Wow, huge kudos to Alicia! And I want to know the name of your travel agent, since she’s apparently got the right contacts.

80. coren says:

@richcreamerybutter: I believe if you’re in a military branch and under 21 you’re able to drink on base. It’s been years since I was told this though, so I might be wrong.

81. PJCS says:

@CatMoran: I would avoid that agent – while I’m glad she resolved things, it’s her fault they were in a bind. It’s the travel agent’s responsibility to make sure the guest knows all these details — cruise lines pay agents 10-18% of the fare, and they’re expected to earn that money with their expertise.

It’s not like it’s a new rule. Only RCI and Carnival make an exception for married people, and only Disney and Oceania allow other people 18-20 to cruise unaccompanied.

An overview of age restrictions for each cruise line: [www.cruisesavvy.com]

That said, I think HAL should add the married couple exception. Anybody who takes the big step of getting married AND booking a high-end cruise seems unlikely to get wild in the bars.