BoingBoing notes that the U.S. House of Representatives has passed the notorious PRO-IP bill that ” puts local law enforcement in a position to demand the forfeiture in criminal proceedings of stuff used to violate copyright. Which means that instead of the RIAA simply trying to collect fines, they can also incite local authorities to collect all the computers and related gear that was used to pirate.” [ BoingBoing ] (Thanks, John!)
More From Consumerist
- Privacy Advocates Sue Virginia Police Over Data From Automatic License Plate Scanners
- Advocacy Groups Worldwide Ask For Terms Of Trans-Pacific Partnership To Be Made Public
- Patriot Act’s NSA Phone-Snooping Program Expires (For Now)
- The Pirate Bay Taken Offline, Raided By Police
- I’ve Been Forced To Sign A Bogus Credit Card Bill While Traveling Abroad. What Can I Do?