EECB Results In $6000 Credit From Maytag For Defective Jade Refrigerator

If you plunk down six grand for a refrigerator like the Jade Model #RJRS4870D, you expect it work. And if it doesn’t, you expect the three-year warranty on it to cover things like the refrigerator leaking all over the floor, extra ice building up, and exuding the smell of burning rubber. Ron and his parents certainly thought so, but Maytag wanted them to pay for the installation of a new part to fix the problem, even though Maytag admitted it was a known issue with this refrigerator. Read his blog post about how he was able to use an executive email carpet bomb to persuade Maytag to doing the right thing. The end result was more than Ron asked or even hoped for: $6,000 credit towards any fridge they carry from either JennAir or Whirpool, installation included. My favorite line is when he tells them, “If the Whirlpool conglomerate cannot handle all of its customers in a timely matter maybe they should stop acquiring other brands and focus on the ones that they already have.”

How to take care of your parents $6000 refrigerator using an Executive Email Carpet Bomb [Ron in Israel]

Comments

1. whatdoyoucare says:

I like the quote about taking care of all of its customers or quit acquiring new companies, too. I live in Iowa were Maytag was originally from. After Whirlpool bought out Maytag the first thing they did was close the plant here and outsource everything to Mexico. :(

2. SkokieGuy says:

I read the original post and I’m underwhelmed by Maytag / Whirpool, etc. reply. The parent’s son had to fight on their behalf from the other side of the world. After an multiple attempt to repair a known defect, his parents are simply getting a replacement fridge of equal value.

What about the water damage to the custom wood floor?

What about the lack of responsiveness to a repeat problem caused by a known defect?

What about the fact that they paid SIX frigging thousand dollars for a fridge? That is a top of line premium price point and I would expect kid glove treatment, perhaps even dedicated customer service lines, the appliance equivalent of tier 2 or 3 tech support.

This is certainly a legit use of a EECB. How sad that we all have to work this hard to simply get a merchant to follow through on their basic and contractually obligated commitments.

3. umbriago says:

If you can’t drive it, fly it, live in it or fuck it, it’s not worth $6,000, Ron.

Also I would expect it “to” work, just as I would expect someone “to” edit copy. Jeez Louise.

4. The Consumerist in me is like “right on!”

The Fatwalleter in me is like “SIX GRAND?!”

5. LikeYourFace says:

This is truly the saddest fridge picture ever.

6. eightfifteen says:

@whatdoyoucare:

I’m from Iowa too. Saddest thing is that Maytag had spent years building up it’s good reputation for quality, and Whirlpool quickly took a crap on it.

7. scoobydoo says:

Of course, the sad part is that these PR people are probably going to spend more time trying to do damage control, than anyone at the company will spend trying to actually improve their service organization :(

8. Franklin Comes Alive! says:

@eightfifteen:

If Whirlpool took a crap on it, then Maytag was already pissing all over themselves before the acquisition. Ask anyone (i.e. me) who owned the early front-loading Neptune washers.

9. Asvetic says:

@SkokieGuy: Agreed. I remember an old adage my pops used to spout off all the time. “Son,” he say, “If you don’t ask, you don’t get.” That adage still works, but you can’t just ask anymore, you have to plead, beg, blog, send massive email carpet bombs and just about jump throw fiery hops to get just a notice.

Why can’t these companies see that we want to buy their products, but we also want the superior customer service that comes with them. The type of service that businesses used to give, for free! Back in the good old days.

10. diddy0071 says:

@SkokieGuy: IMO, even if the floor was damaged (which I’m not saying isn’t possible) if I were him, I would be at least glad at this time to just get the faulty fridge replaced. I say take what you can get, and not sound like a deutch.

11. Greeper says:

Contrast: I bought an 8-year-old, but unopened SubZero from a Hotel/Condo that discoverewd it as surplus in its garage. (Paid 1800 bucks in 2007). Had a minor issue and called SubZero, who activated their 7-year warranty as of MY date of purchase, gave me detailed, thorough troubleshooting guidance, and offered to send a technician out the next morning for free. No lie. I was building a vacation house at the time and paid full price for a SubZero based on that experience.

12. SkokieGuy says:

@diddy0071: I’m not German. Perhaps you mean to call me a douche?

13. KarmaChameleon says:

@Ash78: LOL, seriously. For six grand that thing had better come with my own chef and assistant to buy and cook the food for me. And that chef had better look like Viggo Mortensen.

14. backbroken says:

@SkokieGuy: Not sure which is more insulting.

15. backbroken says:

I’ve bought 2 Maytag/Whirlpool appliances in my life. The first one is a Maytag washer that has been repaired 3 times in the 2 years I’ve owned it. The other is a Whirlpool dishwasher that I learned could burn my house down if I used a rinse aid (thanks Consumerist!)

If only Toyota made home appliances.

16. thirdbase says:

@Umbirago: Elliot Spitzer found something to screw for $6000.00. I think the refrigerator is the better value at that price point.

17. Scuba Steve says:

I didn’t know Whirlpool bought Maytag.. interesting.

Well, when I worked there, we were told that the top of the line appliances had special warranties that covered food loss, and a few visual defects, save for scratches on stainless steel units.

The leaking should have been covered, and the warranty should have paid for the floors as well.

Sounds like the customer service teams have let this one through the cracks. But then again, a lot has changed since 2002.

18. theblackdog says:

@KarmaChameleon: And he has to be naked!

19. KarmaChameleon says:

@theblackdog: Amen.

I smell a business opportunity.

20. friendlynerd says:

Another company Maytag gutted: Hoover.

They’ve taken an amazing Ohio company and turned their products into the same old disposable crap, not worth bothering to fix.

Meanwhile, my 1970s and 80s Hoovers continue to do their duty with a minimum of attention.

21. Nighthawke says:

@Greeper:
    SubZero’s are the top of the line in both Residental and Commercial. They ARE expensive, but you get top quality products and service. They know they got the top notch and are not going to let go.

22. nutrigm says:

six grands for a refridgerator!!?? That thing better have 2 bedrooms!

23. SkokieGuy says:

@Nighthawke: In my family, we’ve had poor quality with Subzero and only mediocre customer service. Consumers Reports has rated them as having a high frequency of repairs for year. I assumed the only reason anyone bought them was because you could get them “built in” with custom cabinet panels and such. For many years, they were the only game in town.

24. theblackdog says:

@friendlynerd: Really…my parent’s Hoover that they bought eight years ago is still working great. We must have gotten lucky.

25. missdona says:

@Ash78: Srsly. The slickdealer in me would have got it for two ;-)

26. soapdish says:

Who pays $6K for a fridge???!?

27. FLConsumer says:

Good thing SubZero has good service — they’re somewhat trouble-prone. Part of it comes from having two entirely separate refrigeration systems, so almost twice the parts to break compared to a regular fridge. Nice fridges ‘though. They’ve also gotten a bit better in recent years.

28. WraithSama says:

Six grand for a fridge? Wow.

I imagine these same people have a roll of twenties by the toilet.

29. Norskman says:

Wonder if this $6,000 fridge keeps food cooler than their $1,000 model…

For $6,000 it better be ordering my food automatically!

30. MaytagRepairman says:

@friendlynerd:
    Hoover was already screwed up before Maytag bought them. I was shocked to learn from family working in customer support at the time that when Maytag bought Hoover they had no serial or lot numbers on their vacuum cleaners. It made recalls and returns a complete nightmare.

31. MaytagRepairman says:

@Franklin Comes Alive!: Agreed. My current supervisor bought one of the first Neptunes. The first time I’ve ever seen an extended warranty pay for itself twice over in repairs.

32. Anonymous says:

I owned one of the earlier front load neptune washers after 3 years it keeps coding E3 which means there’s a motor problem. I called a maytag repair man the company said to put in a new motor. Its been 3 weeks and 3 motors and a new water and i’m still having the problem with washer coding E3. The company will keep putting in new motors because they can’t find the problem or I can take 15 percent off another washer and start this problem over again or I have one more option to junk the washer and never purchase another maytag of any kind. Hello, it must be the computer and I’m not paying over $500 for travel, labor and parts. I paid enough when I brought the best washer in the world