Consumerist Mentioned On Conan O' Brien

Apparently BJ Novak from The Office mentioned The Consumerist on Conan O’ Brien last night because last year we wrote about how he went on Conan to expose how Cadbury Eggs keep shrinking, and it soon blew up into a big deal with a bunch of other places picking up the story. I can’t wait for The Office to do an episode where Michael outlaws the use of paper and pens. Here’s the clip.

Comments

1. Yeah I caught some of that. It was a pretty boring interview however.

Too bad he didn’t have an exciting “I had to show my receipt so I punched out a Wal-Mart greeter” story.

2. redqueenmeg says:

Michael won’t ban the use of paper and pens–it’s a paper company.

I could see him trying to ban the use of computers though. Some customer-focus measure.

A similar thing happened to me at the last company I worked at–my supervisor did not understand the point of asynchronous communication as a convenience to the customer. Everything had to be a phone call. EVERYTHING. Even if you had just called them already that morning. Because no amount of phone calls could ever get annoying.

3. To be clear, that paper/pen thing is the policy of the outsourced callcenter. In-house Tmo call centers don’t have those requirements.

4. Ben Popken says:

@valarmorghulis: Yeah, that was pretty explicitly stated in the original post, thanks.

5. JPropaganda says:

Actually, I’m pretty sure this is an old clip? Like from last year?

6. JPropaganda says:

Oh sorry I take that back. I’m an idiot.

7. Hawk07 says:

“They haven’t gotten smaller, you’ve gotten bigger.”

freakin’ hilarious!

8. hi says:

@redqueenmeg: actually that would make it even funnier… a paper company banning the use of paper.

9. bms says:

Who knew?

10. spinachdip says:

@hi: Well, the Ten Crack Commandments say “Don’t get high on your own supply”. Does that apply to paper too?

11. Gann says:

Perhaps even more significant: Conan O’brian is mentioned on consumerist.com

12. Too bad it wasn’t one Craig Ferguson, thought. That dude is hilarious.

13. se7a7n7 says:

It’s hard to see BJ Novak without thinking about how much I really hate his character now on “The Office” he’s turned into a MEGA PRICK. He wants to fire Jim critiquing his stupid website!!

14. mike says:

@se7a7n7: I think that’s the point. BJ Novak is a great guy. He also plays a great character. Ryan gets treated like crap the first couple of season; now, he’s returning the favor.

15. pigeonpenelope says:

it just goes to show, you never really know exactly who you’re talking with online in a forum.

16. mtaylor924 says:

@Ben: Michael wouldn’t ban the use of paper and pens – Ryan would. He will force everyone to use his fancy new website to keep all their customer notes – then he will discover that people have been making fun of the customers, after realizing that all the customer notes are publicly accessible.

17. Joafu says:

Conan O’ Brien + The Office + Consumerist + Creme Eggs= Why don’t people think of this more often?

18. internbrian says:

A rant about Easter candy in May doesn’t make much sense. From IMDB, BJ Novak was on “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” April 4, 2007. I saw this when it first made the youtube rounds awhile ago. Old news, but still cool.

19. Anto103 says:

I knew they where shrinking, I knew it all along. They lied to us all.

20. @JPropaganda: You are correct. I saw this episode last year. He did the episode on April 4th and the Consumerist post was on April 8th. IMDB has the proof:

[www.imdb.com]

It’s sounds like CONSUMERIST is the one who got the idea about the Cadbury Eggs from BJ Novak…

21. @LucasAnderson: I thought I had seen this before… or very vivid Deja Vu.

22. flidget says:

@LucasAnderson: The clip is from last night’s new episode. BJ Novak was on the show again, and if you watch the clip he and Conan are talking about all the media coverage that followed his April 4 appearance last year – the Consumerist shoutout is BJ saying that after his appearance, the site posted about the eggs.

23. Lee2706 says:

Wife and I saw B.J. Novak near Susina Bakery in Los Angeles. As we were parallel parking, he walked in front on my car, in between the car parked in front of me. He could’ve walked around so I am not sitting there waiting for his stupid celebrity-ass to get his awful Starbucks.

Why am I babbling like this? Because it’s so L.A. to not be sensible about walking across the street. He also plays that asinine Ryan really well. The drug addiction part is hi.lar.ious. Go Ryan!

24. chatterboxwriting says:

@redqueenmeg: I’m not allowed to use e-mail EVER. It’s “not an aggressive form of contact.” Well, neither is leaving someone 10 phone messages and not getting a call back from them! Seriously, people I do business with have told me flat out that they hate the phone and only do things by e-mail, but I’m still not allowed to use it. Glad I am not the only one.

25. nathanst says:

proud to say that I caught this and informed con…

protip: douche laying claim to post, disregard

26. ludwigk says:

I was pretty upset that Cadbury Eggs have gotten so small recently, but then I tried to eat one, and not being a kid anymore, the sugar almost killed me. I’m getting older, and I just can’t handle it. I was mad at Cadbury, I was mad at myself.