Worst Company In America UPSET: #63 Hallmark/Westland Meatpacking Stuns #2 News Corp!

Grab your popcorn, ladies and gentlemen! We have some eye-opening Worst Company in America news for you. Round 1 is finally over and the results are in: #63 Hallmark/Westland Meatpacking Company has upset #2 News Corp.!

While few had heard of this smalltime contender out of California until just before the tournament began, Westland/Hallmark had all the fundamentals in place: a huge scandal, public health hazards, child endangerment, animal cruelty, and video evidence. Though News Corp., (responsible for atrocities such as “MySpace”) received the second most nominations of any company, they failed to deliver when the votes counted.

“It’s a Cinderella story for Hallmark,” said Editor, Ben Popken. “News Corp is just too big a creature to hate all at once,” speculated Chris Walters, our Associate Editor.

We asked Weekend Editor, Carey G-B if the Hallmark/Westland “Mad Cows” have what it takes to contend with #34 United Health Care in the second round… Carey? Carey, are you there? He’s too depressed to answer! He’s burning his Rupert Murdoch T-shirt!

Congratulations to the Hallmark/Westland “Mad Cows” for this historic victory!

Comments

1. Ghede says:

Huh? Ok. Now I have absolutely NO idea how this poll works.

2. Veeber says:

who are the other “winners?”

3. ivanthemute says:

@Chris Vee:
    Yea, no kidding. C’mon Ben, let’s see the second round brackets!

4. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

Am I the only one confused? I didn’t even know we’d gotten down to the final votes??? Last I checked we were still doing preliminary voting…where did I get lost?….anyone?….Beuller?

5. @chris Vee

I think what’s really important here is that everyone’s a winner.

6. JDAC says:

This is a great day for the poison industry!

7. hi says:

Is it Hallmark or Hallmart as in the title?

I’m so confused.

News Corp should have won but people are unfortunatly too dazzled by the flashy colored pixels to see whats really going on.

8. Wormfather says:

So is it Hallmart or Hallmark because its spelled both ways in the title and in the article.

9. hi says:

Oh this is the one where the voting button didn’t work. How ironic.

10. hi says:

Forgot the link: [consumerist.com]

@hi:

11. seamer says:

How was newscorp responsible for MySpace? They only purchased it, they didn’t create it :)

12. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Why did all the polls close at once? Round one was open for nearly two months but round thirty was only open for about two weeks.

Anyway, I am not surprised Hallmart/Westland beat News Corp. To many people are tired of their food being poison.

13. camman68 says:

@seamer: The same way Comcast is responsible for the horrific service in Colorado. (Purchase vs. Create)

14. NewsCorp’s badness is oldschool. We’re bored with it. But poisoned and tortured food is something that stirs people.

15. VikingP77 says:

There is a special place in hell for these guys…….Just sick and wrong in SO many ways.

16. Serpephone says:

I am so confused!

17. WhirlyBird says:

I wonder what News Corp paid for this.

18. eightfifteen says:

I can just see those guys up accepting the award and proclaiming with a little tear in their eyes, “You hate me! You really, really hate me!”

Sally Field, eat your heart out!

19. dollywould says:

OMG they have to slaughter cows to make cheesy and unfunny birthday cards? What is wrong with you?!

20. Squeezer99 says:

all i can say is “So?”

awww, the consumerist editors sound so disappointed that fox news didn’t win. i actually like fox news. special report w/ brit hume is a really good show

21. axiomatic says:

How do you know News Corp hasn’t killed any livestock inhumanely?

Can you say that for sure?

Will you go “on record” for that comment?

22. Meg Marco says:

@Squeezer99: Personally, I couldn’t possibly care less about News Corp.

23. Toof_75_75 says:

@Squeezer99:
    Get used to it…That’s usually the sway around here.

24. B says:

@axiomatic: I asked Rupert Murdouch if he stopped slaughtering sick cows, and he wouldn’t give me an answer.

25. Mr. Guy says:

i was one of the people to nominate hallmark/westland and this makes me so happy. those sick fucks… i know newscorp is evil, but there’s a special place in hell for those who are cruel to animals. good work consumerist voters.

26. Baukie says:

i just love how they even included there high school grad photos!!!

27. LUV2CattleCall says:

@B:

It’s not nice to refer to Bill O’Riley as a sick cow.

28. You-Me-Us says:

Not too hard to figure out. Lots of vegetarians on the ‘net. It isn’t the company they’re voting for/against, it’s the fact that “meat is murder.” Many of them see the act of eating an animal as far more evil than, oh say, willingly disseminating lies to stir up jingoistic yahoos so they’d support a corrupt, incompetent administration that would drag a us into a quagmire to make Vietnam look like a model of efficiency while lining the deep, deep pockets of the oil industry… etc.

“But, but, but… what about those poor cows?!” By the way, I was a vegetarian for a long time, but I got over it when I realized that I was becoming one of those people. Sort of like Bill Hicks when he said, “I’d stop smoking but I’m scared I’d become one of you.”

29. Landru says:

I don’t understand… They made a Hallmark Channel movie about mad cows? Is the Hallmark Channel owned by Rupert Murdoch?

30. B says:

@LUV2CattleCall: Yea, I didn’t mean to insult sick cows.

31. uberbucket says:

Downer cows ftw.

32. photomikey says:

Don’t end it yet! Let this lame contest drone on for a few more months.

More filler material! Less consumer issues!!

33. synergy says:

@You-Me-Us: hear hear

34. Mom2Talavera says:

I think its kinda ironic that so many people were up in arms over the whole Westland/Hallmark Meat Company investigation. we humans are not usually concerned about how our food is killed. Much like our political enemies, as long as they are dead, who cares how it happened! Eat up America!

The Truth, you can either watch or choose to be willfully ignorant!
    [video.google.com]

35. gomakemeasandwich says:

Since when was News Corp. responsible for MySpace? I’m pretty sure they just bought them and didn’t actually create the site.

36. DeafChick says:

Umm Good job?

37. UnicornMaster says:

Brackets! We want to see Brackets! Where’s the interactive WCIA overview?

38. TheBigLewinski says:

Ben, you need to run a better survey next time and EXPLAIN how it works. I thought we were still in the preliminary rounds.

39. Propaniac says:

For everyone confused: Hallmark/Westland WERE up against News Corp in the preliminary voting rounds. Since they’re moving on to the second round, all of the preliminary voting rounds are now closed. All that this post is saying is that Hallmark/Westland, NOT News Corp as might have been expected, will be moving on to the second round of voting.

40. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@You-Me-Us: There are a lot of meat eaters on the Internet too. You don’t have to be a vegetarian to be against animal cruelty and you don’t even have to care about animal cruelty to care about hazards to your own health.

As far as News Corp “willingly disseminating lies to stir up jingoistic yahoos so they’d support a corrupt, incompetent administration” goes, even by your own argument this only works if people decide to be jingoistic yahoos. Nobody agreed to eat meat from sick cows.

41. JustaConsumer says:

You guys really screwed up the brackets. News Corp has to move on. Spewing propaganda is the ultimate bad corporate policy. Come on Meg and Ben. Admit you messed up the match ups.

42. Rbastid says:

Maybe its because The Meat Packing Plant could have killed thousands of people and News Corp is only on here because they are Conservative. By all means if they were the #2 corp then whoever runs the New York Times should be #1 for all the false and stolen stories they run.