Delta Airlines Terminates Ticket Jackets

In an effort to save money and inconvenience customers, Delta has discontinued their ticket jackets, much to the dismay of seasoned air-traveler, Greg. For the uninitiated, ticket jackets are the handy-dandy miniature document organizers that allow you to neatly store tickets, boarding passes and itineraries. He was disappointed to learn that Delta had discontinued this mini-marvel of personal organizers which actually boasts a rich history in aviation. His letter, inside…

Hello -
I checked at the Delta self-service kiosk this morning for my flight from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale. I printed my boarding pass, itinerary and receipt from the kiosk and reached for the ubiquitous blue paper Delta ticket jacket, only there were none. I went to drop off my bag and asked for a ticket jacket – I like to keep my boarding pass and other documents, plus my baggage claim sticker all organized in one place. The woman checking me in informed me that Delta discontinued the use of the ticket jackets as of Monday in order to help cut costs! Wow. That is a bit extreme. That’s several pennies worth of paper that, although I’m sure some posters will belittle the concept and my desire to have the jacket, make a big difference for a frequent business traveler such as myself. Other airlines, such as Airtran, subsidize these jackets by printing advertisements inside the folder. This may sound minor, but it was a useful item to have. Not that they are eliminating all paper, now the are providing a separate sheet with ticket Terms and Conditions in the slot that used to hold ticket jackets. I have attached an image of both sides of this slip.

In an additional interesting piece of this experience, I was given a complimentary Medallion upgrade to first class at the time of boarding. On Delta, the gate agent scans your boarding pass, a new boarding “coupon” is printed and handed to you and the original boarding pass is taken by the gate agent. This normally isn’t a problem, but since there is no longer a ticket jacket to stick the baggage claim sticker on, the sticker now goes on – you guessed it – the boarding pass that you get at check in! So, not that I have needed a claim tag in any of my travels, but if it is important enough for them to give it to you – it is your “receipt” after all – then it
should be important enough to keep, right?

All in all, a short-sighted move on Delta’s part and it really only saves a few cents per ticket.

Thanks Consumerist

Delta, you make us sad. We loved ticket jackets for their neat design, foldy fun and secret slots. The ticket jacket always made sure that the proper document was easily accessible, yet secure and organized when we jammed the whole thing in our back pocket. We hope you realize that the paper-pennies you are pinching will be negated by fumbling passengers who will be spending a few extra seconds managing their travel documents. Multiply these few seconds by thousands of passengers and you should begin to see the error in playing God with our ticket jackets.

(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. sketchy says:

Why not get a reusable document holder?

Saves money and the environment.

2. buzzybee says:

Aren’t there much more important things to be worrying about? Perhaps the dwindling oil supply, war in Iraq, looming recession…

Take a piece of paper, fold it in half and you have an advertisement-free ticket holder. You could even take a maker or pen and personalize it! I would draw a smiley face or sailboat with my name, but it’s up to you.

3. yetiwisdom says:

Good riddance. Haven’t used one of these in years.

4. brianala says:

Short-sighted? I think it’s actually pretty reasonable and insightful. It’s an easy thing they can do to save a good chunk of change, and the majority of people won’t be inconvenienced in any real way from it.

Here’s a thought – next time bring an envelope. Stick a stack of them in your briefcase so you have some with you when you need them.

5. overbysara says:

I hate ticket jackets and always try to get away without one. Though I can understand their usefulness. perhaps buy a reusable one?

6. SkokieGuy says:

Has TSA banned the use of pockets in clothing? Pockets represent a terrorist threat, because they can be used to hold explosives or chemical weapons.

Pockets hate our Freedom!

I suggest an EECB. This is an outrage.

7. I use a reuseable one anyways, since I do travel more than the average folks. The paper ones are crappy anyways, I remember when you got a nice little tagboard folder back in the day.

8. zarex42 says:

Whine, whine. These jackets are totally unnecessary, and a waste of paper and money. If he wants a jacket, he can bring his own easily.

9. ThinkerTDM says:

While the jackets may save some money in the short run, how much money does the CEO make again?
    What happened to the days when companies would actually make a better product that people wanted, rather than cutting into an already crappy product?
    What’s next, half-sizing the seats to fit more people on a plane? Cutting the number of screws holding the wheels on?
    It seems to me that the biggest, obvious cost to cut would be the top heavy executives.

10. catskyfire says:

I’d probably offer them as available if someone wants them, but not hand them out otherwise.

I have only had them a few times, and for me, they were more a nuisance, as I had to dig through for things like boarding pass. A spot in my carryon worked better. And for many of us, with pre-printed passes done at home, it wasn’t even a concern.

11. Bye says:

It’s not just the cost to the airlines but how many thousands of these glossy little jackets are thrown away at the end of a trip?

I echo Sketchy – get your own travel document holder. There are some great ones out there.

12. unklegwar says:

Aren’t these those things that I find shredded in the laundry?

Yeah, I have an organizer already, my POCKET.

13. SadSam says:

Take one from one of the other airlines.

14. stuny says:

Has anyone noticed that whenever you interact with an airline employee, you always get a new ticket jacket?!

Even if you ask them what time it is, they throw out your old one and give you a new one!

Their ARE wasteful and annoying. Think about 300 people online in front of you and each of them is handing a closed folder that needs to be opened for them to board. It is a lot more efficient to put the darn ticket in your pocket without the envelope. Who needs an organizer? You have your boarding pass there and back? Put your return flight pass in your bag and get on the plane!

And seriously, what are those little secret slots and openings for?

15. juiceboxonfire says:

I fly Northwest mostly, so maybe Delta had nice ones (I feel like there’s something to be said about the merge here, but I don’t know what), but those flimsy paper ticket jackets were a pain. Mine always tear and fold and don’t do anything to help my flimsy paper e-tickets anyway.

I always asked not to get one. Save a tree and ink. If it’s really a problem, buy some really nice fancy reusable one that you can also keep other important stuff in.

16. picardia says:

Yes, by God, let’s slaughter as many trees as possible so this guy can pretend it’s still 1966, and protect this piece of paper he needs for approximately three hours with another, folded piece of paper.

17. bobblack555 says:

So you mean I have to carry my tickets in a real pocket instead of a paper one?

Whoa. Rough.

18. Squot says:

They’re not just a few cents, for starters. They’re die-cut for the slot, are 4-process printed, have to be folded; you’re talking a huge operation, and people have to be paid to run said operation, and the machines have to be maintained, blah blah blah. After you pay the printer, you have to pay the warehouse, the distribution people, pay for the boxes, etc. etc.

Each flight takes anywhere from 50-175 passengers, on 800 planes, on multiple trips per day. That’s thousands of jackets a day, and cutting that amount of waste is great for the enviroment as well as Delta’s pocketbook.

19. crabbyman6 says:

But what about the jobs lost at the ticket jacket factory, won’t somebody think of the children?! And what about people that get sweaty sitting, now instead of a moist jacket it’ll be a moist ticket, poor gate agents. ‘Tis a sad day indeed.

20. Karkus says:

This is one moneysaving method I fully support. Those jackets are a big WASTE!

21. The ones I’ve gotten recently were emblazoned with ads for Hotels.com and the like. The ad money wasn’t enough to make them worth keeping around?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, it just doesn’t make sense to me.

22. bbagdan says:

i support the elimination of unnecessary junk. way to go Delta!

now let’s work on getting rid of those damned catalogs full of gadgets in the seatback pockets.

23. STrRedWolf says:

There’s an upside to wanting those jackets: They have an abbreviated Conditions of Carrage on them. No jacket, no notice of CoC, and I bet a lawyer will say that opens them up to some litigation… 100 quatloos?

24. Leiterfluid says:

@HRHKingFriday: What did you get, and where did you get it? I’m travelling a lot for my new job.

25. HuntersCanvas says:

I really cannot believe someone is complaining about this. Grow up and buy one that you can reuse. There are just too many things to be concerned about these days – sleeves for your plane tickets should NOT be one of them.

26. scientician says:

Didn’t most budget airlines eliminate these years ago?

27. n301dp says:

Apparently I’m in the minority here, but those ticket jackets come in handy, especially with the flimsy new “1980s fax machine” thermal paper boarding passes most airlines have switched to. There have been occasions where I haven’t been able to snag a jacket and my boarding pass has been destroyed in my pocket by the time I get to the gate.

KLM, on the other hand provides a very nice cardstock ticket/boarding pass with a nice pocket for storing other travel documents.

28. n301dp says:

@STrRedWolf: The abbreviated contract of carriage makes for great reading when you are on the fifth flight of the month and have read both the magazine and SkyMall twice.

29. jmschn says:

waaaaaah poor OP

30. Propaniac says:

While the benefits of the travel jacket can be debated, if the check-in agent is really putting the baggage claim sticker on the boarding pass and then they take your boarding pass from you when you get on the plane (as the message indicates unless I’ve misread it), that’s pretty stupid.

31. joshthephenom says:

@Squot: I absolutely agree. Way to look at the big picture.

32. Buran says:

@sketchy: Or just snag one from another airline’s ticket counter, although a reusable travel wallet would be more durable.

33. Buran says:

@hunterscanvas: If you don’t like it then go find another thread to post in. It’s a valid complaint when something you actually make use of disappears.

34. Chairman-Meow says:

Thank god they are cutting these out to save money. That way, another overpaid executive will be able to get his bonus this year.

35. William C Bonner says:

I’ve had more problems with the ticket jacket tearing my boarding pass than protecting it.

I carry my money in a flat bill wallet, and would almost prefer that the boarding pass continue to shrink till it’s the same size as US Currency so that it will fit in the wallet conveniently.

I generally preprint my boarding pass at home or at the office anyway, so I’m carrying a folded 8.5×11 piece of paper instead of a standard print slip.

36. pianos101 says:

So this news is almost a week old… But anyway why should anyone care? Look at JetBlue they print your boarding pass literally on a “receipt” with the bag tag numbers right on it… That seems like the best/CHEAPEST solution…

37. thirdbase says:

@Buran: Leave huntercanvas alone. The OP is a wack job. He actually cares about ticket jackets. Holy crap we finally have all the worlds problems solved and the OP complains about the last remaining issue TICKET JACKETS and you have the nerve to call any of this valid.

38. mammalpants says:

this sucks more than the evaporation of our democracy.

how are my tickets going to stay warm and protected from light breezes?

39. clnclarinet says:

Wow, Delta really could have spun this better. If they had just called it “going green” instead of “cutting costs”– and then start selling reusable ones made of recycled plastic or something– this would have been a positive for them, not a negative.

As for me, I usually have a book with me, and sticking the boarding pass in the book keeps it nice, flat, handy, and safe. What do you people do in airports and airplanes without a book?!?!

40. backbroken says:

Now I can’t wait until ticket prices start to drop!

41. ChuckECheese says:

although I’m sure some posters will belittle the concept and my desire to have the jacket…

Greg sure knows his Consumerists!

42. kallawm says:

I’d much rather an airline do away with a ticket jacket than raise the price on my seat. As I don’t travel for business, I actually have to pay for my own tickets. And, as has been said ad nauseum, you could buy yourself a very nice executive leather document holder.

I think the issue here is that the jackets were provided as a courtesy in the first place. That’s not the service you’re paying for. You are paying to be flown from point “A” to point “B,” period. If they started charging me for in-flight beverages, I wouldn’t bitch about that either, because my receipt doesn’t say “crappy seat in between sweaty man and screaming baby… and a coke.”

43. MonkeySwitch says:

Yeah, I’m sorry but this is a pretty petty complaint. Create your own reusable jacket. Much more sustainable.

44. TacoChuck says:

Here is a chance to make your own:

[www.instructables.com]

45. Youthier says:

@clnclarinet: I agree! I wonder if it was just this ticket agent who “exposed” the real reason because in the current climate, the environment angle is one that most don’t argue with.

46. wesrubix says:

@yetiwisdom: nice that they’re saving paper too, isn’t it?

Come on Consumerist. You complain about packaging issues, and now you don’t see the ecological rationale behind using less paper?

47. Namtab says:

I rarely consider consumerist to be written by fools, but this article is the dumbest thing you have ever written.

Completely ignoring the obvious savings for Delta, and the beneficial environmental side effects; you really want to keep these around because of “neat design, foldy fun and secret slots”?

Get a damn clue! A piece of folded paper doesn’t make your other piece of folded paper more secure. And a piece of paper saved for every passenger really does add up to a real environmental benefit.

48. @SkokieGuy: “Pockets hate our Freedom!”

Best. Line. All. Day.

49. crichton007 says:

Boo hoo. I’m silver medallion and I never use those things. In fact, I hated it when I was given one. Just fold up the boarding pass and put it in your pocket.

50. t325 says:

I still have a Delta ticket jacket I got on a flight back home a couple weeks ago being used as a bookmark. They do come in handy for something :D

@Propaniac: I don’t even know what the claim stickers are for….I’ve never needed mine for any reason.

BTW, every airline I’ve been on thus far scans your boarding pass and gives it back to you. So if the claim tag is on that, then it’s probably OK

51. WarnerAndrogeus says:

Comment on Delta Airlines Terminates Ticket Jackets From my recollection, the ticket jacket is one of the few places the airline
    formally notifies consumers of baggage loss liability requirements. So the
    elimination of ticket jackets could mean more money back on lost bags, at
    least in small claims court.

52. LUV2CattleCall says:

While it says a lot about how crappy
    Delta, check in online and you won’t have this issue…

53. Lambasted says:

Sorry, I am not feeling the pain here. So you don’t have a piece of paper to put your piece of paper in. And?

Bring a legal size envelope to put your stuff in if it is such a big deal.

54. BensAngel says:

Yes, this article is a waste of internet resources…

55. GJCATL says:

Hello…This is the “wack job” Original Poster. Let’s clarify a few things, please. It’s not that I deeply “care” about ticket jackets, nor is it that I cannot live on without one, its just a strange place to try to cut money, especially when I get on a plane that serves me a drink in an expensive glass tumbler and offers me unlimited snacks, free headphones, etc. It’s just a strange place to cut costs.

Let’s remember that the ticket jacket is OPTIONAL. If you don’t want one, don’t take one. Easy. However, for those of us that were used to them and chose to utilize them, their elimination, and strange half-replacement, are strange choices.

Had some of y’all fine commenters bothered to read and process the original post, you’ll see that Delta has not ELMIINATED the paper that comes with your boarding pass, just changed the nature of it. There is still an OPTIONAL piece of paper that has the “Ticket Notices” on it. If they are still required (???) to have to print out and offer this information, why not put it in a format that I, the consumer, would actually want to/need to pick up and carry?

Travel can be a hectic and sometimes confusing process. I fly weekly, but I see others that have no idea how to check in, get through security, find their gate, get into a seat, deplane, find a bag, or do any other rudimentary, seemingly self-explanatory tasks. Having an OPTIONAL place to put your travel documents – for those that choose to pick it up – and having it also be the repository for necessary T’s+C’s, plus a place to keep your baggage claim sticker. This is Delta’s process, not mine – I am aware that other airlines have other processes. Delta didn’t change their process, they simply eliminated an “integral” part of their own long-standing process and failed to provide either a good replacement or even just a good, BS environmental company line (as other commenters suggested). Just tell me you’re going green. I can cop to that. No big deal. Just don’t tell me you’re simply being cheap when many other things indicate that you are not, especially in an area where the cost is so irrelevant that I, as the customer, will never see this savings. It’s a customer facing, obvious change. What is next? Will it be something that you commenters DO care about?

Is it an essentially inconsequential product and posting? Maybe. However, the item existed, it went away and there was no good reason or associated savings that translates to the consumer can be seen. Talking about such things is part of the spirit of this site. Not everything is going to apply to everyone that reads this site. Want a site that applies just to you and the things you care about? Start your own blog. I’m sure it will be a mind-bendingly good read. Let us all know when it’s online. Maybe we can comment on it…

Back to the real reason for my post – we’re too deep into this to stop and the emotional reaction to this is, well, stunning…anyway, the ticket jacket. It doesn’t need to be die-cut and 4-color process – it was more of the concept of it that was useful. If I knew where I could get a similar reusable jacket, I would get one. A potentially USEFUL comment would be for someone to post a site where we can all get these jackets. Sounds like a great “green” idea.

As for the others who use the well thought out line along the lines of “Since the OP has solved all other problems in the world, he can complain about this!” Well, maybe I haven’t solved all the other problems in the world, but if commenting on the interesting things that companies do to their customers is an indication of that, then fine. I’ve solved my problems and am using this site for its intended purpose. I would also have to think that people who have time to read and then take the time to COMMENT on “useless” stories such as this one have also “eliminated all problems” from the world, right? In fact, someone in that position is better off than I am, apparently…

This is supposed to be a forum where we can all come together, comment on things that companies do and maybe solve some problems. Commenter’s reactions are sometimes, well, interesting – but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It’s an open forum. If everyone wants to be FIRST POST then great, lets all compete on that level. We’ll get really far with this whole internet thing. On the other hand, maybe we can educate each other on lots of different topics – both big and small. Different things affect different people in different ways.

Personally, I like that I can comment on not just life-altering events, but also on stupid, insignificant things like this – kind of makes the world a little bit more interesting to know that others are “affected”, each in their own strange way, by how things unfold in this world. Today, it was my turn, with silly ticket jackets. Tomorrow, it will be your turn when your shampoo bottle is .2 ounces smaller, but costs 3.2% more. Not everything has to be an earth-shaking event. Then again, maybe we should only post and comment on life-and-death issues? Of course, then we would have a lot less to comment and complain about. I guess we would then need to have a site where we could complain about how Consumerist used to be better.

Ah well, nothing’s perfect…

56. DonShaw says:

You can sure tell who gets out once every two years vrs. those of us who fly weekly. Its not about ticket jackets, its about what they will think of next! Delta has become the new aeroflot!

57. RokMartian says:

My first thought was kudos to Delta for finding a way to save some extra money and save a few trees too.

I wonder how the response would have been if someone complained that they were “forced” to get their boarding pass with a jacket and how very un-green Delta was becoming.

58. jetdillo says:

@DonShaw and @OP:
    I agree. You can tell who are the real travelers and who are the Kettles just from the responses on here.
    It’s not an earth-shaking, life-rattling thing. Life rarely is. It’s a little thing that is a convenience and something useful to have when you’re running down the hallway for your flight.

It’s about being forced to suffer through the death of a thousand cuts….and then having to listen to whiners here complain about all the oil that’s going into making those damnable reusable plastic ticket jackets because we’ve gotten rid of paper ones.

I like ticket jackets. They help me keep track of my tickets. It’s that little flash of blue/gold/red/whatever sticking out of the book in my hand that lets me know that I’ve got my boarding passes on me. I can’t stand this flimsy-ass receipt-stock they print BPs on these days. You NEED a ticket jacket to keep it from getting torn and destroyed in your pocket after you’ve stuffed it in there and ran halfway across the airport to make your flight.

Like so much in life, they are all at once, nothing yet everything.

59. migrabear says:

This is to answer all of the comments about what to replace the “missing” paper ticket jackets with:

I bought a leather reusable ticket/travel holder on eBay last year that is very handy. Cost was about $8 for a pair. It holds my tickets and boarding passes, has a place for a passport, has an id card window (so you don’t have to keep taking your wallet out and risk losing it), has a pen holder, a place for coins and cash, and a long loop so it can be worn over your neck for easy access at gates and checkpoints. I find it handier than a ticket jacket because it has everything that is asked for in one place as well as places for the common extras one uses while travelling. With all of the changes in airport security having all of the required documents in one central location is a real time-saver and I find that it reduces a lot of the stress of travelling. I wish I had gotten one years ago when I was travelling monthly, mostly internationally. Similar ticket/travel holders can be found at most luggage and travel stores, Target, as well as online. They are thicker than a paper ticket jacket, but only in as much as the material they are made from.

It’s not the end of the world as we know it.