“MyGearStore,” a seller on Amazon, tried to bribe reader Michael into remove less-than-stellar feedback. Michael writes, “There were some problems with the order, and I gave them neutral feedback (which was pretty generous).” They said they would give him a partial refund if he took down his feedback. He complained to Amazon, who didn’t reply except with a “thanks for emailing us” and to MyGearStore, who didn’t respond. One tool consumers use to evaluate the slew of online retailers out there is by looking through feedback left by other customers. If stores are trying to pay off customers to get rid of negative feedback, one, they’re stupid because they’re going to get caught. Two, it means you should be suspicious if the feedback for one store, product, or seller is overwhelmingly positive. Critical reading, it’s a good ability to have. The original bribe note sent by MyGearStore, inside..
From: Tracking Info
Date: Wed, Feb 6, 2008 at 8:02 PM
Subject: Your Amazon Order # [redacted]
Dear Valued Customer,
We noticed that you had left neutral feedback. We apologize that you were not happy with your purchase and look forward to resolving this situation. We would like to extend our apologies for this inconvenience, as this was not our intention and we look forward to correcting the problem.
We would like to offer you a partial product refund if the feedback is removed. As soon as the feedback is removed we will issue the refund. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-290-2492, so we can process your removal.
If you’ve left feedback on a Marketplace or Merchant seller and would like to remove it, you can do this through Your Account.
1. Go to http://www.amazon.com/your-account.
2. Find the pull-down menu next to View by Order. Select ORDERS PLACED IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS, and hit the GO button.
3. After you sign in, you’ll find a listing of your recent orders. Select the relevant order and click the VIEW ORDER button.
4. You will find a feedback section 2/3rds of the way down the page. To remove feedback, click on the REMOVE link in the feedback section of the order summary.
5. You may only remove feedback if it is 60 days or less since you left the feedback.
If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns. Please feel free to email us at email@example.com or call 1-800-290-2492
Customer Service Department
My Gear Store Inc.
1454 E. 33rd St.
Signal Hill, CA 90755
1 (800) 290-2492
Please Visit http://www.mygearstore.com
PREVIOUSLY: TheCellShop.net Caught Bribing Customers To Submit “Perfect” Reviews