How To: Quickly Contact Intelligent Life At XBOX Customer Service

Jason at Doombot has developed a process for reaching intelligent life at XBOX customer service. He discovered this easy 4-step procedure thanks to a XBOX 360 that enjoys not reading discs.

Jason says:

I won’t dwell on the details, which are boring. The long and the short of it is that Xbox customer support people are stupid at the main number, and useful at the escalated number. I have now discovered what I need to do in order to get future Xbox problems dealt with, and I thought this information would be useful to share with you.

1. Call 1–800–4–MY–XBOX.

2. Get a reference number for your problem as quickly as possible. You may need to say “I already did that” when they try to make you do the troubleshooting script, just to expedite the process.

3. Hang up and call the escalated support number, 866–506–3826.

4. Talk to someone who knows what they’re doing.

How did I come upon this process? Well, I tried calling the main number first. I talked to a complete and utter moron, who told me to call back and tell the voice system my problem was with Xbox Live (despite that my problem is independent of whether I even have an internet connection). I immediately tried the elevated support number next, but you need an extension or reference number for an existing problem to get past the initial voice recording.

Thank you, Jason. You’ve done the hard work for all of us.

Jason’s XBOX Sage: The Revenge [Doombot] (Thanks, Dan! )
(Photo: tubbyny )

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

“Hi, I’m calling for a reference number.”
    “What seems to be the problem?”
    “Just give me the damn number.”

Hehe, I’ve dealt with MS more than enough regarding my 360, and this actually does seem like good advice.

2. DeepFriar says:

I could have used this a week ago. Still, it wasn’t as painful a process as I thought, having gone through the suggested remedies on their website, I was able to hammer through their list of questions.
    Besides, they are getting pretty good at this, what with all the practice and all.
    /Screen freeze victim, awaiting refurbished model in return.

3. Ex_EA_Slave says:

They asked for an extension number of the CSR who previously helped me the last time I called the escalation number. How do you get around that? Or will any 70xx extension work? I just RRoD’d last Thursday, so this is perfect timing.

4. tubby says:

thanks for using my picture!

xbox live support has become such a disappointment. xbox customer support was always A+ from the original box all the way through the first year of 360. you would get through quickly to intelligent, helpful tech support who would help you with a problem even if it wasn’t technically MS’ fault (configuring a router, etc) – and crazy great hours. and now it’s just utter shit.

5. DeepFriar says:

So my “repaired” xbox is waiting for me back at home two weeks after I instigated the query with support.

And I know, i just know, this one is going to break as well.

6. PølάrβǽЯ says:

Intelligent life and Microsoft in the same sentence? I better start repenting, Christ should be here any time now!

7. Verdigris says:

I had to go through 2 weeks of hoops to solve a simple problem.

I recently moved and changed the address of my Visa debit card to match my new address. I forgot to change said address on my Xbox360 live account. When I went to renew my subscription, I got a general error that told me to call.

Apparently it was a fraud alert because the address on the card didn’t match the address on the account. Seemed simple to me, call in, verify some info, get address changed, work now please. But no…

2 weeks of me calling in (they told me to check back daily) until some guy who works in a dungeon somewhere can release my account from fraud status.

Finally on the last day of the two week period, I got a rep that said “One moment, this happens alot” Puts me on hold for 5 minutes “Ok, that should do the trick.”

Sure enough, back online with a new membership. And the weirdest thing is I only paid for a 3 month and that was well over 7 months ago. Still haven’t had to renew and no charges on my card from that.

8. radio1 says:

Wow. I wish this was posted back when Halo 3 came out. I had the original XBox and had a technical issue with XBL…

I called and after about 35min wait, I got someone on the phone– they were knowledgeable. But, damn, that wait with their blaring rock music (wannabe Franz Ferdinands…) and the ‘cool DJ’ while you wait were so GD annoying!

9. My buddy just RRODed…I told him what to do about it, and he did. Funny thing is…He had no idea that almost all Cust SVC centers are outsourced. He’d get pissed of because he thought he had back luck with getting stuck with the CSR that spoke broken English.

HA!

10. I am going to try this tomorrow, I am really upset, I have just gotten back my 4th repair, and 3 red lights out of the box, I just don’t know what to do anymore. This is sickening.

Meanwhile, even though the PS3 online experience doesn’t seem to be the same, my friends tell me that there have been very few PS3 problems, I will wait until it reduces in size though, it is a monstrosity. And wait until there is an 360 controller built for it.

If anyone has anymore tips on what i may do, reply here, or hit me up on XBL @ HardStrike or AIM @ HardStrikeXBL

11. captainleah says:

if you are not going to let me post please delete my account

12. Cyborgmatt says:

Does anyone know where I could find the UK escalated support number?

13. brimstoneh2 says:

I’ll have to say I usually do not have a huge issue with tech support. Its not exactly fair to call them all morons (90% of them perhaps). :P

Perfect example:
    Back in the Xbox days I had called about a question of locating something that apparently didn’t exist in the dashboard. When I asked the guy if it was in this area, his response was “I really don’t know, I’ve never used an Xbox.”. Brilliant!

14. KashmirKong says:

@TheCutSquad:

The Xbox 360 is a lemon. I don’t know why people are so determined to throw their money at Microsoft for such shoddy craftmanship.

15. daeVaVicious says:

In my case the escalation guy that helped me the first time was “no longer at the company” – with the volume of people having trouble i bet everyone’s voicemail said that =)

If you can’t get to somebody directly, you can also try emailing a summary of your problem to:

advocate@microsoft.com

They’ll pass you to the escalation team (again get a reference number).

It’s nice because you also get to word what you’re going to say thoughtfully which helps =)

I also like to threaten to contact the Attorney General’s office and file a class action law suit =)

So far I’ve gotten everything I want from them =)

16. Peter Gray says:

Number seems to disconnect you after you enter a valid reference number.