Kroger Supports Your Ice Cream Diet

Reader Tim sent us this seemingly oxymoronic photo from his local Kroger in Grayson, GA. It reads, “Buy any 4 Healthy Choice meals and get 1 free Breyers Ice Cream.” Be warned, if you follow this diet you will probably notice that your ice cream is shrinking more rapidly than your waistline.

Comments

1. azntg says:

“Well, no wonder you’re fat! You can’t even handle indulgent treats responsibly!”

Full disclosure: My own comment is probably the reason for my own state of being.

Seems like an okay deal to me.

2. GreatCaesarsGhost says:

Well, they have Marie Callander there too, so its more like, “Buy dinner and get dessert free.”

Besides, if you’re trying to cut back with a low cal meal, that doesn’t mean you have to give up ice cream, too. Small Steps, as the gubmint likes to say.

3. unravel says:

I’m not sure why it’s bewildering. The fact that you grab a carton doesn’t mean you’re going to scarf it down in three seconds, and honestly, allowing yourself to indulge every now and then helps most people’s diets on track. And there are plenty of people who buy healthy choice for themselves but shop for other people. Also, Marie Callenders is offered alongside healthy choice. So :P

4. satoru says:

Hell Breyer’s icecream is awesome stuff, and usually pretty expensive relatively. And it’s not like the Marie Callander meals are ‘low fat’ by any stretch of the imagination.

On a totally separate note, for all the ice cream lovers, avoid all those new ‘whipped’ or ‘double churned’ ice creams. These are fancy words for ‘full of god damn air’. You can tell these by the fact they usually list their quantity by volume, not weight. In any case, if you need air in your ice cream, take a deep breath before you eat a bite and that’ll compensate :)

5. PinkBox says:

At least they’re showing the “light” version of the icecream. ;)

6. bonzombiekitty says:

Well they’re showing “Healthy Choice” dinners and “Marie Callander” dinners, and for the ice cream, they’re showing the light Bryer’s and the regular Bryer’s.

Not sure what’s so oxymoronic about it. They’re showing three “healthy” items and three normal items.

7. joemono says:

You guys here at the consumerist do realize that people on diets can still eat ice cream, don’t you? It’s not salad three times a day.

8. joemono says:

Also, it’s “Kroger.” You remind me of my boss who adds an ‘S’ to everything.

“So I was at Blockbusters the other day renting a video…”

9. CaptRavis says:

The way it is suppose to work is you buy eight diet dinners to eat for lunch at work, leave the two cartons ice cream in the work freezer and chunk-up your office nemesis.

10. Rectilinear Propagation says:

*is seriously considering taking Kroger up on this*

11. trturnerjr says:

I think overall this is an epic failure on behalf of consumerist. I think they should take this post down.
    It is clearly buy four frozen dinners, health or unhealthy, and receive free ice cream, health or unhealthy.

12. winter_in_asia says:

Look carefully at the sign: it’s 4 Healthy Choice dinners OR 4 Marie Callender’s dinners. Marie Callender’s is notorious for having high-fat, unhealthy food. But it tastes good.

I can definitely see someone going for the ice cream after they bought some Marie Callender’s dinners.

13. mgy says:

@joemono: HATE HATE HATE HATE people that do that. I don’t want to get a cherry lime-aid Sonics, I don’t want to get a bagel at Paneras, and I CERTAINLY don’t want to get the two tacos for a dollar at Jack in the Boxes.

Sorry, gotta vent.

14. @satoru: I love Edy’s Slow churned light ice cream. The cals and fat are way low and the strawberry is pretty damn tasty.

I actually like my ice cream with a decent air content. If you like yours hard as a rock then good for you.

15. danseuse322 says:

Whipped and double churn are not expletive-defined problems (a bit of intelligence please), but are actually a way that lowfat ice creams are tastier than the “ice milk” of the 80s. #2, SERIOUSLY! I eat a lowfat diet–frozen dinners when I can’t cook–and dessert is Bryers low fat ice cream (120 cal. 4.5 g fat) I put a serving in a cone. To me it’s a lovely deal.

16. EBone says:

I scooped ice cream for a summer job in high school. I never got over how many REALLY obese people who would come in and get a huge three-scoop cone or sundae, and a diet soda. I mean, why bother? You’ve got a cone with over a thousand calories, you’re worried about 160 calories in a regular soda?

17. elijah_dukes_mayonnaise says:

@EBone: They sought zhong huo.

18. aristan says:

@EBone:

I have drank Diet Soda so long that I can no longer drink regular soda. Regular soda is like drinking syrup to me, really thick and really sweet. Regular soda makes me nauseous. So, even when I’m being bad & having the Super-sized meal, I still get a diet soda. I’m not saving calories, I just want a soda.

And about the original post… That’s actually a good deal. Those Marie Callender meals are usually 3-4 bucks a piece.

And though the text of this entry reads ” It reads, “Buy any 4 Healthy Choice meals and get 1 free Breyers Ice Cream.””.

The only problem with that statement is that Consumerist readers with eyes will note the sign reads “Buy any 4 Healthy Choice Complete Selections or Marie Callender’s Entrees or Dinners”.

19. MissPeacock says:

@EBone: Believe it or not, some people actually prefer the taste of Diet; I know I do.

20. MissPeacock says:

@trturnerjr: THANK YOU. I know when I buy something like a frozen dinner, it’s mostly for the convenience factor (pop it in a microwave and have your meal in 3 minutes), not necessarily to lose weight or to save on calories.

21. sisedi says:

Hey the 80/20 strikes again!

22. elforesto says:

I noted the same thing last year under a similar ad from Smith’s, Kroger’s western brand: [www.coolestfamilyever.com]

23. ChuckECheese says:

My, the level of hyperlogical scrutiny in this thread. It’s just an ad, right? It’s kinda funny. It’s not a cryptology exercise. Some of you would be useful as lace-makers, and identifiers of pebbles and weevils in sacks of grain.

@elforesto: I’m saddened by the comparison between the 6 for $10 of last year and the 4 for $10 now. That’s, what, a 50% increase in price? I was looking at the frozen convenience food discs at the grocery recently and noticed they were much more expensive than just a couple months ago, pretty much no longer worth the expense. I blame Canada, as many of these frozen things are made there, and their dollar is no longer cheap and useful.

24. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@EBone: In addition to previous explanations, if the diet soda doesn’t have caffeine and the regular does then that might be why they order diet.

25. spinachdip says:

@joemono: You see a lot of that on the internets.

As for the Healthy Choice deal, no thanks. I’d rather collect some more for a free tip to Hawaii to see some random chick who walked into my novelty toilet plunger warehouse.

26. DwightIsMyCopilot says:

I don’t really see the problem with this. No one should see TV dinners as a good way to really diet anyhow (instead of cooking with fresh veggies) and ice cream as this all-out bad product. Don’t overindulge on the ice cream, eat the TV dinners on those days when you’re in a rush, and it’s not really harmful. Lame, consumerist.

27. XylonCulleo says:

Comment on Kroger Supports Your Ice Cream Diet EBone wrote:

::I scooped ice cream for a summer job in high school. I never got over how
    many REALLY obese people who would come in and get a huge
    three-scoop cone or sundae, and a diet soda. I mean, why bother? You’ve got
    a cone with over a thousand calories, you’re worried about 160 calories in a
    regular soda?::

I don’t think calories are the point. Pairing a sweet dessert with a
    less-sweet beverage is more traditional than not . . . think milk and
    cookies . . . cake and coffee . . . scones and tea. The big exception is
    wedding cake and punch.

The human body can only tolerate so much sugar at a time, after all. (If
    you don’t believe me, clear it with your doctor, then try to drink a juice
    glass of honey).

Just curious: Did your average-weight customers do this as well, or were
    you selectively noticing the obese? (Happens to us a lot, alas).

28. MrEvil says:

I wouldn’t call the Healthy choice frozen dinners bad for you. How good they are for you is up for debate I guess. But I keep my freezer stocked with them for lunch. They’re cheaper than a burger and fries and they’re probably the best frozen dinners in the freezer case. Alot of other frozen dinners I would say aren’t even fit to give to a mangey coyote.

29. Techguy1138 says:

This is a good deal. I wish my local Ralphs,yes the name has an ‘s’ in it, was running this. Right now it’s 12~14 for 4 tv dinners on sale.

Tv dinners are a good deal if your workplace has a microwave. I can spend $15 for a weeks worth of lunch.

30. boxjockey68 says:

@mgy: I agree, drives me nuts also.

31. taylorich says:

@Techguy1138: Do they still call them TV Dinners? I haven’t heard that in 25 years.