Insiders: Circuit City's In-Home TV Calibration Is A Total Scam

According to a Circuit City employee, their in-home tv calibration service is a complete ripoff. Basically they give the employees glasses like you might get at a 3D movie and they’re then supposed adjust the balance and contrast and brightness with the remote control. When he complained to his manager, his boss said to just, “make believe you’re changing some settings. When you’re done, tell them how much better their TV looks. Besides, once you perform the calibration, they can’t get a refund.” Will we soon see Circuit City in-home calibration kits being hawked in the back pages of Boy’s Life? Full letter, inside…

I’ve worked for Circuit City’s Firedog for the last 11 months. Since the day I started performing in-home installations I knew that the company was not truly concerned with the service their customer received, but only with the money the customer has in his/her wallet. The point: Purchasing a TV calibration from Circuit City Firedog is a complete waste of money.

I knew a lot about installation and repair when I started Firedog, but one of the things I had never done was calibrate a TV. When I checked my appointments for the day and saw that I had to go perform a calibration, I approached one of the managers and said “How do we perform calibrations? Do we have a calibration unit or something?” The manager replied “Come over here and I’ll show you.” So I followed him to the TV department and he handed me an old Circuit City Advantage TV Care Kit. (These are the pamphlets/packets we USED TO hand out to customers when they purchase an extended warranty.) He pulls out a DVD and “calibration glasses” which were nothing more than those cardboard 3-D glasses you get at the movie theater except there’s blue film for both eyes instead of red for one and blue for the other. He says “Put this DVD in their DVD player and follow the instructions.” At this point I was bothered by the fact that I had to go to someone’s house to perform a task that I’m not even trained to do. Unlike these “bonus-driven” managers, I actually have a conscience. I told the manager that I didn’t feel comfortable going to do the job and that he should reschedule it to another installer. His response was “It’s not hard, just goto their house, pop in the DVD, look at the test patterns with the glasses, and make believe you’re changing some settings. When you’re done, tell them how much better their TV looks. Besides, once you perform the calibration, they can’t get a refund.”

At this point I straight out refused to do that, and my manager threatened my job. I was told that if I didn’t goto the customer’s house and perform a service that I did not know how to perform, that I would be terminated. For fear of losing my job, I went to the customer’s home to calibrate his TV. I put in the disc and skipped to the calibration “test patterns”. While the patterns were displayed I looked through the glorified 3-D glasses I was given, and made small adjustments to the brightness, tint, sharpness, etc. By the time I was done, I noticed that the levels I ended up with were no different from the levels that were set from the factory. After I was done, the TV looked no better than when I had started, but in following my managers instructions I told the customer how much of a difference I saw in the TV. I left the house after about 10 minutes, and had a horrible feeling in my stomach.

Since then I’ve been arguing with store management about calibrations, and how we should stop selling this service unless we use an actual professional calibration unit. I always get the same answer though, and end up going to the customer’s home and playing with their remote control for a few minutes, and then lie to them about how much better I made their TV look. I’m writing this because I can’t refuse to perform the job once you pay for it…hopefully you’ll read this and think twice before you purchase the service.

PREVIOUSLY: Circuit City Will Access A Secret Panel In Your TV For $104.74

Comments

1. Byzantine says:

The 21st century version of Snake Oil.

2. slowinthefastlane says:

Worse yet, last year I tried to go in a buy a copy of one of the calibration DVDs (such as Digital Video Essentials or Avia) to help calibrate my dad’s new TV. I had used the Avia disc to calibrate my TV with great success. Unfortunately, neither Circuit City and Best Buy no longer carry the DVDs. Instead, both salespeople tried to sell me a visit from the Geek Squad and Firedog instead.

3. EyeHeartPie says:

I was thinking more like the 21st century version of sea monkeys…

4. pecheckler says:

Electronics retail… your end is near.

5. Doofio says:

How is this not illegal?…sounds to me like blatant false advertising. It’s no different than me offering “eXtreme professional window cleaning service!” then just come to your house and spray your windows with windex and wipe it down with a paper towel…

6. Juggernaut says:

WTF, don’t TV’s do this automatically? Am I that far out of touch? C’mon!!!

7. Anonymous says:

Hell, at least when BB or CC sell you a box of rocks you actually get a box of rocks.

8. Xerloq says:

Are these the glasses used? THX Glasses

If so, get them for two bucks, pop in a THX DVD and DIY!

9. Lucky225 says:

If I were you I would refuse to do a calibration until you were properly trained on how to do an ACTUAL calibration. I’d risk termination. If I were terminated I would go to the unemployment office and make my case. Take some pictures of the glasses and what not if you can. Unemployment Department would LOVE to hear this case, if the employer argues and shows proof that you preformed calibrations in the past, just let Unemployment know that the only reason you did those were under threat duress and coercion of your employer and in (as bush says) these “depressing economic times” or “in this economic slowdown, whatever you want to call it”, you felt you had no choice, but now you just can’t take it any more and did not want you yourself to become liable of suit from a customer.

10. jtheletter says:

I searched on the CC page for Firedog services and found them listed on this page.
    I don’t see any service that is exclusively for calibration, or even includes calibration. Can someone find a listing for this service? Getting the terms of the deal would be the first step in determining how fraudulent this service might be. Depending on how its worded or what is offered it may unfortunately be totally legal to dupe people into paying for essentially nothing.
    Gauging from the prices for any non-installation services though, it’s a ripoff all around. Consolidating remotes to a 1-touch is $99+!!

11. Derp says:

That sucks! I know at Best Buy, the installer tht performs the calibration uses a laptop and a calibration unit. There is only one guy trained in my district to do it and he had to go to the company that made the calibration unit for training for like a month. At least we don’t use a DVD.

12. FreeMarketGravy says:

@Doofio: “Calibration” is a very loose term in terms of what constitutes a calibration. If they adjust a single setting on your TV, they have “calibrated” it. To what? Who knows? But they did.

It’s not illegal. It’s a scummy way to take advantage of people who don’t know what they’re buying and don’t care enough to find out. Immoral and dishonest, sure. It’s also how plenty of companies built their fortunes.

13. Lucky225 says:

@jtheletter:

“depending on the way it’s worded” if it’s wording is deceptive the FTC would pwn them.

14. FreeMarketGravy says:

@jtheletter: When I worked for CC, it was common practice to make up our own “services” and ring them up under other UPCs. Firedog had a UPC for “1 hour of labor.” That’s what it was defined as on any and all documents. That was also the one used for anything that wasn’t an install or delivery.

It’s commonplace for CC to make up their own services and later find a UPC to fit it. Just because it’s not listed doesn’t mean they don’t do it. They just ring you up for one thing and do another.

15. Ex_EA_Slave says:

This guy is a moron. I’ve used several different calibration dvd’s, including the CC version, and they do help in setting up the best picture. The onscreen instructions of the CC dvd were particularly easy to follow. The only special training you need is how to push the buttons on the tv remote. Some televisions may have a ‘secret’ access panel for more in depth adjustments, but the majority of users have no need to make them.

16. howie_in_az says:

@FreeMarketGravy: It very much sickens me that not only do you say this was occurring (and probably still is), but that you took place in it. Likewise with the OP. If your boss threatens you for doing the right thing, go to corporate. If that fails, go public. There are other jobs that don’t require lying to paying customers.

17. chartrule says:

something very wrong with this

18. Eoghann says:

Please don’t confuse the term “calibration,” which in color management terms, means bringing the device to a known and accepted standard state. Simply choosing “Factory Defaults” can be termed a “calibration.”

Also, anyone who thinks they can “calibrate” without an instrument is truly a scam artist. Every human sees the range of color differently.

I love going into these big box electronics places and asking the salesperson, “which one is color correct, and how do you know?”

I’ve done proper calibrations on TV’s, projectors, and monitors. I don’t trust my eyes for a second, or the client’s either for that matter, but I can provide a printout of the actual settings made and the actual instrument readings that prove it’s “calibrated.” That way if some fatfinger decides to change it from “calibrated” to “pleasing” the client can calibrate it back to what it was when I left by themselves.

Any rube paying FireSquad to “calibrate” deserves to watch all their TV shows with their blue-colored 3D glasses on, because that’s the filter it was “calibrated” with.

19. Orv says:

While Circuit City techs may not know how to do it, it is common practice to use blue filters along with a color bar pattern when adjusting video monitors. Some commercial monitors actually have a switch that turns off all the colors except blue for this purpose. The fact that they’re using blue glasses does not, in itself, make this bogus.

20. It’s just like the “sealants” car dealers try to sell you. They take the car out back, put a sticker in the window, and bring it back 30 minutes later.

1. Undercoating is done at the factory. Just stick your hand underneath one of the wheel wells and see if it doesn’t come back covered in black goo. Smear some on the salesman’s tie if he tries to sell you what’s already on the car.

2. Paint “sealant” is sold in every Pep Boys for about six bucks a can. It’s called Turtle Wax.

3. Upholstery sealant is sold in every supermarket for about three bucks a can. It’s called Scotchgard.

Apply the same principles to Circuit City that you do at Cheatham Chevrolet, and you’ll do just fine. I guess if you can’t remove a TV from its box, plug it in, and set up the channels with the handy on-screen menus (or plug in your cable box), you’re beyond help. Conversely, any TV set that requires professional installation isn’t worth the purchase price. Is it suddenly 1950 again or something?

21. FreeMarketGravy says:

@howie_in_az: I was an operations manager. I never told any employees to do it myself, but others did and I didn’t overrule them since the store manager was one of the managers doing it. I wasn’t about to risk my job because of a minor moral compunction.

22. highmodulus says:

At least go to the proper AVS forum for your TV and find the preferred settings, often worked out by input source too.

Good starter link for you:

[www.avsforum.com]

Hint one- many LCDs/Plasmas are set to “blowtorch” out of the box so they will look bright and vibrant under the often harsh lighting in stores. A few quick adjustments will make your new TV look much better- and you can do them for free!

23. nick_r says:

Real calibration requires an Imaging Sciences Foundation-certified technician, takes at least a few hours, and costs hundreds of dollars. And it’s actually worth it.

Firedog and Geek Squad need to move to hell and get a civil union.

24. Death says:

@Lucky225:

Your heart is in the right place but that’s a bit idealistic & naive. Sure he can sue to keep his job, and if cutting his hours, scheduling him overnight, etc don’t work, they’ll find other ways to make him leave voluntarily.

I hate that this sh*t goes on as much as anyone, but considering the recession and unemployment rates of late, I don’t blame the OP for having food on his table as his first priority.

25. orielbean says:

As others have said, GO to the AVS forum (google it) and search for your television model number. There are a lot of wonderful intelligent and informed posters on that site. Most of the time the message thread for your tv will have somebody posting their settings.

And remember to turn down the backlight setting if you have one – they are often way too bright for your applications.

26. ArvelCater says:

Comment on Insiders: Circuit City’s In-Home TV Calibration Is A Total Scam I use the AVIA “calibration” disc at home for my theater. They make a HUGE
    difference on my LCD, Plasma, and Projector. Perhaps the OP had a TV that
    did not need very much calibration. Most tuning can be done without
    calibration equipment. The “professional” calibration techs are certified
    and charge more than Circuit City does.

27. WV.Hillbilly says:

@nick_r:
    Bullshit.
    Anyone can take the Avia or Video Essentials DVD, a little time and calibrate their TV as well as some assclown with a certificate.

28. FilthyHarry says:

This ties in nicely to an article last week I think, about why people don’t get their surround sound setup professionally. The fact is if you pay someone to do it for you, you’re admitting that you have no idea whats going on and you invite giving away your money for a service you’re not likely to be able to appreciate even if they do really do a proper job.

29. EyeHeartPie says:

@FreeMarketGravy:
    So you consider it a [B]minor[/B] moral cumpunction taking peoples’ money and not actually doing the service they paid you for?

30. XTC46 says:

@Doofio: that woudlnt be illegal, you arent promissing anything so its just marketing.

What these guys are doing is illegal, but then again, the arguement could be made that the tv was already calibrated, so unless they say that your tv is not precalibrated at the factory, then its not illegal. How something looks is going to be different depending on the person, so its intangible, and really hard to argue against it.

31. FreeMarketGravy says:

@EyeHeartPie: They get told a salesperson will come to their house and “calibrate” their TV for, let’s say, $50. They pay $50 and the salesperson goes to their house and does a CC calibration that I, personally, know is worthless and accomplishes nothing.

Yes, that is a minor moral compunction to me. There’s nothing I can do about it besides stay as distanced as I could, personally, from it. I know it’s nice to think we can all just walk away from jobs where our supervisors do things we don’t agree with, but that’s simply not realistic.

32. FreeMarketGravy says:

Also, as others have said, if you’re willing to open up your wallet to a salesperson pushing a “calibration” on you without finding out exactly what it is and what they’re going to do, then you either don’t care about the money you’re forking over or you don’t care enough to become educated about the high priced item you’re buying/have bought.

33. EyeHeartPie says:

@FreeMarketGravy:
    *sigh* I guess that’s how it is, and how it will stay unless someone changes how those big box stores do business, which is extremely unlikely.

The best way to do something would be to push to make “calibration” an officially offered service, so that CC would be required to state what they will do and then stick to it, or give a refund. None of this “call it a ‘calibration’ and charge them for ‘one hour’s worth of labor’”. Since Firedog doesn’t officially offer a calibration, they can do whatever they want and say they did what they were paid to do, while only charging an hour of labor, so then the customer has no ground to stand on.

34. MT says:

If it really makes you feel guilty and terrible, why would you want to keep the job? Get a new job, you sound at least somewhat qualified for something else, or better.

35. Lazlo Nibble says:

@WV.Hillbilly: I call bullshit on your calling bullshit. A proper ISF calibration is a lot more in-depth — and accurate — than eyeballing the user-mode settings with Video Essentials.

If you’re happy with what you get using VE, that’s great, but if you think the results from a quick-and-dirty VE session are equivalent to the results a knowledgeable tech with actual calibration equipment would get, you’re fooling yourself.

36. FreeMarketGravy says:

@EyeHeartPie: And ultimately, that’s it. We (putting myself back into the role of an operations manager for a moment) are all pawns. We can’t change the rules of the game and if you try to play the game by a different set of rules, you get thrown out of the building. All you can do is keep your head down and try to cheat every once in a while. Depressing, but that’s how retail works and it’s, as you said, unlikely to change.

You’re right in that it should be offered as a normal service, but this is CC’s modus operandi and it doesn’t just apply to this sort of thing. Remember the post from a while ago where a store offered to (illegally!) copy DVDs and CDs for a fee? Same thing. CC stores make up their own specials and play around with the UPCs to make it all look somewhat legit. It’s one of the many reasons the company’s in such rough shape. You can only play fast and loose with everything for so long before it comes back to bite you.

37. FreeMarketGravy says:

@MT: I do have a new one. At the time, I was dealing with things like rent, car insurance, etc. and was up against a bone dry job market in NJ.

38. nick_r says:

@LazloNibble: Word.

39. freejazz38 says:

Um, this is a surprise why??? Please. C’mon, huh. CC is a joke, and Fireslog is an even bigger joke. Untrained, minimum wage, inexperienced, unskilled MORONS. CC is even WORSE than BB, and THAT’S saying a LOT. Will be glad to see these clowns finally go under. Then, at least, Mcd’s will have more employees to choose from

40. Orv says:

@LazloNibble: No doubt true, but an “official calibration” would be wasted in a home setting. To be truly correct a real calibration involves not just the settings on the set itself, but the color of the area around it and the color temperature and brightness of the lighting in the room.

What people are doing with Avia DVDs isn’t a proper calibration, but it *is* adjusting the set optimally for their environment.

41. Lambasted says:

@highmodulus: I concur about AVS Forum. If you don’t want to, or don’t know how to, figure out the appropriate settings for your TV, go to AVS Forum. The people there really know their stuff.

Try as I might to setup my TV correctly, it still looked like crap. I went to AVS forum for help. I found posted settings for my TV. Voila, my picture looks 100 times better.

42. D-Bo says:

@Ex_EA_Slave: And you’re an asshole, what’s your point?

43. khiltd says:

People don’t want accurate color reproduction in their televisions, they want a “good picture.” “Good” in this context meaning bright, contrasty, and highly saturated.

The first thing any photographer who’s just been shown how to effectively utilize Photoshop’s soft proofing features to give them an accurate representation of what’s going to come out of their printer says is “that looks terrible.” Doesn’t matter if it matches the print in the viewing booth perfectly, they don’t like it and they put the colorimeters they thought they couldn’t live without on the shelf, never to touch them again.

If you can see details in the shadows and the highlights, and neutrally colored objects do not appear to be overly pink or green, then your television is calibrated perfectly. Let the pre-press people who actually need color management worry about accuracy and enjoy your Michael Bay collection in your room full of incandescent light bulbs and multi-hued furnishings which are throwing off your color perception anyway.

44. wellfleet says:

Best Buy’s calibration techs are ISF certified and use *equipment*, not some DVD and cardboard glasses. Our tech spent weeks away at training and carries with him about 10K worth of calibration gear. This not only makes the TV look more realistic and not so freakin’ bright, it’s also better for the environment because the TV is using as much electricity. Everyone wins!

45. Lambasted says:

I am not going to blame this person for trusting CC to do a job it was paid to do. Surfing electronics forums may be commonplace for people here, but I assure you that for many people it is not. And how else are people supposed to know that CC sucks or calibration DVDs are available, or even what a calibration is?

There are many people out there who don’t know better because they simply don’t know that they should know better. I assure you that my 76 year-old father is not sitting down reading Consumerist to learn that CC and Best Buy services suck. Or reading Engadget or Gizmodo to find out the latest news on HDTVs or laptops. He also won’t be venturing onto Newegg.com to buy parts to build his computer instead of walking into Best Buy to buy one. And unless I am there to stop him, he could very easily get suckered into purchasing CC and Best Buy’s “For Suckers Only” services.

Surfing the net for product info is as easy and natural for some people as breathing air. But let’s not forget that for many people, especially older people, Consumer Reports is it for them. It is the beginning and end of their product research.

Thankfully, my father can pick up the phone and call me to find info. And he knows not to dare purchase any electronics without consulting me first. But not everyone has someone in their life to guide them beyond a Consumer Reports article.

Just be happy that you know better than to be taken by CC and dispense with the holier-than-thou admonishments for those who don’t.

46. Sarcastichobbes says:

I used to work in Entertainment for Circuit City(Madison, WI West store) and it was a total joke how they made us get extended warranties and get customers to buy Monster products(total rip off)

I hated the job with a passion. We had to ask everyone the extended warranty pitch, and if they said no or said their visa/master card covered an extended warranty we were to bring over a manager to try and close the deal by flat out lying to them.

Best Buy isn’t much better, when was a CCity employee we would go to both Best Buys in town and ask them questions about TV. They flat out lied to us about many things, including misinformation about Online prices and whatnot.

My advice is to go to a mom and pop electronics store in your area and get one from them. You might pay a little more but the service is going to be(usually) top notch and they will actually take the time and make sure you know what you are getting into.

Screw the big box stores, all they want is your money and will do anything to not provide adequate customer service for you.

47. irfan says:

best buy has ISF calibration? is that at every store… and how much? Id still trust an independent tech over them though.

48. Extended-Warranty says:

Everyone gives Best Buy crap, but at least they use professional equipment for their calibrations.

Circuit City is lightyears worse than Best Buy. They are seriously horrendous.

49. pssshwhatever says:

@irfan: Best Buy calibration is $300. Yes, our techs are certified and they go away for several weeks of training and carry an actual calibration machine and equipment with them. I’m personal friends with one of our in-home techs that does calibrations, and he actively recommends the service to his fellow employees, and our home theater supervisor just got his TV done (our discount off of services is 20%, so he still paid over $200 for the calibration, which he wouldn’t have if it was a scam).

We have a display in store of the exact same Sony Bravia LCD, both calibrated and uncalibrated, and if it’s done correctly, you really CAN tell a significant difference in the clarity and quality of the picture. Plus, all tvs come out of the box in ‘torch’ mode so that they’re eye-catching if displayed in a store, but you’ll shorten the life of your tv if you leave them that way.

Also, I’m kind of excited that consumerist finally posted something where BB ISN’T the bad guy.

50. rmuttrr says:

the blue glasses are filters. these relatively expensive filters allow the technician to determine the proper settings for phase (color) and tint (hue) on your television. the disc mentioned would provide at least one image which many of you have seen, no doubt: color bars.

these are only necessary on composite signals… if you are using a digital, rgbs or component signal (three cables: red, green and blue) from a source such as a dvd then these blue filters are of little use, but the color bars and other test images still enable proper settings for brightness and contrast.

many television stations may look different at any one location so setting the phase and hue may need to be set at a “neutral” position to avoid any drastic corruption of it’s color and tint from any one channel. this is why it is best to set the television or monitor in it’s environment. different situations may affect the strength of the signal as well affecting it’s brightness and contrast.

regardless of these tools it is still the eyes of the tech that choose the settings.

i hope this helps.

51. rmuttrr says:

oh geez, i was in a hurry and made a mistake. please excuse my improper nomenclature.

color is also “chroma” and hue/tint is also known as “phase.” color bars are commonly used for matching signals as well but there are calibrations to be considered for the individual levels of red, green and blue within the monitor but these are generally set at the factory. it’s common to find grey scale calibrations in computers that can be performed by the user such as those offered by apple for higher res signals.

thanks.

52. Derp says:

@irfan: Not every store has the technician, but each district has a technician thats certified to perform the calibration, so you can get buy the service at any Best Buy.

53. Android8675 says:

Actually I use a similar dvd text pattern thing for my hdtv. I used to use it religiously with my CRT TV, I found out a lot of interesting things like the CRT “Gun” in my TV was weak, the lines bended if my brightness was too high, it was quite fascinating to see.

I had a friend who had a “professional” calibration thingy and he pretty much came to the same settings that I used with my $4 calibration DVD + colored lenses to look though.

If you want to offer your customers more value, learn to work with what you have. If you go in with more knowledge than what your customers have, and it turns out their settings are ok, well at least they know it’s OK now.

It’s hard to lie to a customer, it downright sucks, and is probably why brick and mortar retail are loosing the fight to stay competitive now a days, but look at this as an opportunity to improve your skill set. Do some google searches. I know Best Buy pays their employees to learn new stuff, I don’t know about CC though.

54. unklegwar says:

Those glasses you get have a particular color of blue in them that is used to help tune the color on the TV by filtering out certain wavelengths. When used with the correct test patterns (which the writer admits to skipping completely), it can indeed improve your picture.

By skipping the test patterns (that anyone can actually DO), this writer was complicit in the shoddy service scam.

I have a calibration dvd (DVD Essentials, I think) at home that I use every time I move my TV. It works wonders IF YOU DO ALL THE STEPS. It includes the filter glasses and the test patterns.

55. starbuck65 says:

I know this thread is kind of dead, but as a lawyer I have to respond to the people who say that this is legal or illegal and the people who recommend taking one’s case to an “unemployment department” or something of the sort.

Most people who tell you that something is or isn’t legal don’t know what they’re talking about. That includes lawyers who speak off the top of their heads without actually doing the research. Particularly when it comes to something like a business or advertising practice like this one, the legal/illegal line is often very hazy and debatable.

As to advising people to refuse to do their job, get terminated, and then fight, those fights aren’t for the faint of heart and there’s never any guarantee of how they’ll turn out. Unless the advice comes from a labor lawyer or someone else who has genuine expertise and knowledge, don’t trust it. And even then, always remember that the person giving the advice isn’t the one who has to live with the consequences.

56. djmattymac says:

as the previous poster stated, this thread seems dead but i figured id put my 2 cents in on it as well.. i have worked for best buy, circuit city, hh gregg, and sears..i currently am at circuit city, but do my shopping wherever as i can not be scammed because i know what im talking about..
    now, the tv calibration that seems to have upset everyone is for the most part not done this way any longer.. each district has at least 2 firedog techs available, currently our district has 5,and my store ( niles ohio and our neighbor boardman) each have a firedog tech due to our high volume and wide area we both cover.. both of our techs had to be trained, and as a a few previos posters have said, we do have a number of tv’s hooked up to the calibration equipment( spyder 3 to be exact) and calibrated, one during a demonstration to a customer of mine. and we all in the entertainment dept have or are in the process of having our tv’s done as well. the glasses served a purpose but are ultimately a joke. the only reason ccity charges 150 for a calibration is because the tech has to use his own laptop. otherwise they would charge more to the customer for the tools to do a job.
    it is a service we offer for the customer..if you dont like it dont buy it. nobody is twisting your arm into buying it. i really get sick of people that complain about everything. we dont set prices and it is our JOB to offer you things. im not on commision so i dont care if you buy nothing, or the whole dept. im at my job because i like dealing with televisions and i try and get my customers as excited about it as i am when i come to work everyday. and for the people who come in and say they know it all or have no questions…save yourself the gas money and your breath and just stay home and use the internet. its my job to greet you when you come to my dept. its my home for 5-8 hours a day and im welcoming you to it. dont jump down my throat about it.. got a lil off topic there but ive been meaing to say all that for the 6 years ive been in retail.

ps, i am just a 25 hour a week part time employee, not a manager or a lifetime employee of the company, so if anyone thinks im being biased im sorry to disappoint you

57. Nick Staat says:

I work for a home theater company. Calibration is a real thing, and is absolutely beneficial to your set. BUT it is only worth paying a real calibration expert. if your “Expert” pulls out a DVD and says he is going to calibrate your set, throw him out. Calibration Equipment costs Thousands of dollars and takes time and training to get right. DON’T GET RIPPED OFF!!!! Calibration is worth the cost, but only if done right!!!!!

58. Adam Piotrowski says:

I am a professional ISF calibrator working for and trained by Best Buy Inc. I was sent away for a week to obtain the rigorous theory and hands on skills needed to get me going. The company gave me the Sencore SD/HD video generator, colorpro sensor and software needed to properly calibrate any tv. I have 6 years of home audio and video experience varying from basic set ups to very complicated complete home audio video applications working with key pads and rack set ups. When a customer purchases a TV calibration from any Best Buy retail location the customer is getting an experienced, knowledgeable and certified technician to fine tune their tv according to the customer’s components and room layout. An average calibration takes anywhere from 90-120 minutes to complete. A calibration can on occasion take longer depending on the make and age of the set. Please do not listen to any negative posts about Best Buy’s calibration team. It is a legitimate service offered at a very reasonable price. Go to [www.imagingscience.com] to look for a ISF trained tech in your area. Chances are you see “Best Buy Geek Squad” in your location!

59. Anonymous says:

I was area manager of the real Firedog installation team in the rocky mountain team. I have NEVER herd of this 3D glasses garbage. We used Spider3 calibration tools along with a lap top computer. This was ISF certified and makes a HUGE difference in the quality. Snake oil? I say customers who don’t like to pay but rather complain!