Escape Verizon Without Early Termination Fee Based On Administrative Charge Increase

Verizon is increasing the monthly administrative charge from $.70 to $.85, giving customers a chance to escape their cellphone contract without paying an early termination fee. However, it won’t come easy. You need to have all the facts and support documents on hand and be prepared to work really hard to convince some reluctant customer service reps. Your best shot is to insist on speaking to the retentions department. Also, you need to say that the only reason you want to cancel is because of the administrative charge increase. If they ask why, just keep saying that it has a material adverse effect on you (here’s what material adverse means). Lastly, resist any freebies or bonuses they toss your way. Text of Verizon’s fee change and the contract clause giving you the right to break contract without early termination fee, inside…Taxes, Surcharges and Fees

Tolls, taxes, surcharges and other fees, such as E911 and gross receipt charges, vary by market and as of January 1, 2008, add between 4% and 35% to your monthly bill and are in addition to your monthly access fees and airtime charges.
Monthly Federal Universal Service Charge on interstate & international telecom charges (varies quarterly based on FCC rate) is 11.3% per line.
The Verizon Wireless monthly Regulatory Charge is 7¢ per line.
Monthly Administrative Charge (subject to change) is 70¢ per line. Beginning May 1, 2008, the monthly Verizon Wireless Administrative Charge for voice and email plans will increase from $0.70 to $0.85 per line.
The Federal Universal Service, Regulatory and Administrative Charges are Verizon Wireless charges, not taxes. For more details on these charges, call 1–888–684–1888.

Our Rights to Make Changes

Your service is subject to our business policies, practices and procedures, which we can change without notice. UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW, WE CAN ALSO CHANGE PRICES AND ANY OTHER CONDITIONS IN THIS AGREEMENT AT ANY TIME BY SENDING YOU WRITTEN NOTICE PRIOR TO THE BILLING PERIOD IN WHICH THE CHANGES WOULD GO INTO EFFECT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE YOUR SERVICE AFTER THAT POINT, YOU’RE ACCEPTING THE CHANGES. IF THE CHANGES HAVE A MATERIAL ADVERSE EFFECT ON YOU, HOWEVER, YOU CAN END THE AFFECTED SERVICE, WITHOUT ANY EARLY TERMINATION FEE, JUST BY CALLING US WITHIN 60 DAYS AFTER WE SEND NOTICE OF THE CHANGE.

ALIVE AGAIN! Get Out Of Verizon Wireless ETF For Free! New one (Not Because of Texting) [Slickdeals]

Comments

1. Myotheralt says:

Can any carrier out there give me a better deal than my Verizon right now? 39.99 for 450 min +fees -15% military discount = $40.55 month. well, now $40.71

2. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

@myotheralt: I can, jut give me your credit card info for the deposit. :-P

3. Verizon Wireless is about the only carrier here in Vermont. Service and support hve been good.

4. zentec says:

The problem is who would I go to? AT&T? Sure, they’re cheaper and if I bought new GSM phones, I could jump aboard without a contract, but the reality is that they’re just as expensive and have crappier customer support.

5. Myotheralt says:

@AlteredBeast: heh, if you steal my ID, you can only improve my credit.

6. LikwidFlux says:

Sprint SERO for the win!

7. theblackdog says:

Tempting, but I may wait until my contract expires before jumping to my BF’s account on AT&T

8. FattyMatty says:

maybe I’ll finally get that Iphone now…

9. “Lastly, resist any freebies or bonuses they toss your way.”

Or, if you are planning on staying with Verizon anyway, call them and threaten to leave until they offer you some freebies.

10. sasper says:

Has anyone tried to do this while on a “family plan”? I’m wondering if I’d be able to terminate MY contract while not affecting the rest of the contracts that are on the family plan I’m a part of.

11. AMetamorphosis says:

I successfully got out of a Verizon contract when the bastards raised the text messaging fee by using the same tactic: MATERIAL ADVERSE AFFECT.

Plan on @ least 3 – 4 phone calls & an email carpet bomb.

It does WORK but you need to think like an attory & INIST that the change to the contract is INDEED a MATERIAL ADVERSE AFFECT.

May the force be with you …

12. Caroofikus says:

@myotheralt: I’ve got the 450 from Sprint with free texts for $29 after military discount. Oh, and nights and weekends start at 7…Too bad I hate sprint.

13. mike says:

I really want an iPhone…but I don’t like AT&T. I’ve considered just getting an iPhone and still keeping my Verizon number and using the iPhone for all the cool stuff…

But then I’d be the jerk that carries two cell phones.

14. FilthyHarry says:

@male roof blower (CFB):

Yes that is what I was thinking too when I saw that. Maybe you want to stay with Verizon but you’d like some freebies. Any word on what they offer?

15. JustThatGuy3 says:

Honestly, though, if your really took this to any sort of a legal proceeding, you’d have a VERY hard time claiming that this change ($0.15/month) was “material.”

16. Ben Popken says:

@JustThatGuy3: Wrong. Material is not defined by degree. It could be a penny and it would still be material.

17. crichton007 says:

I just switched to T-Mobile from Verizon during the last round of text messaging increases and have been very happy. I have a decent phone and save nearly $40/month for a nearly identical plan.

18. werdna says:

I have 4 lines on my account, one of which is not being used but still under contract. Can I use this to only cancel that one line?

19. SpookyET says:

What if you are out of contract, have not renewed it, and they still have not cut service. I told the rep that I do not want to renew.

I’m on T-mo. They still send me bills.

20. daemon23 says:

@Ben Popken: I’ve no real reason to doubt you here, but I am curious as to what the precise definition of a “material adverse” effect would be. It seems like a very specific term, yet of course it is in no online dictionary and does not seem easily googlable.

21. Ben Popken says:

@daemon23: Did you check Black’s Law Dictionary? One definition of material adverse is, “of such a nature that knowledge of the item would affect a person’s decision-making process.” In the canons of law, price is considered as having this nature.

22. daemon23 says:

@Ben Popken: Nope, but thanks for the heads up on that. A quick poke also failed to reveal any online form of said book freely available on that, and I’m not a lawyer and have never known of a need to own such a volume. This really points out an enormous frustration with contracts: they include language which is not even normal English to the average person and is incomprehensible without either professional knowledge or access to arcane reference books. I suspect the average person sees “material adverse effect” in the contract and assumes that it means causing adversity of a material nature to the subject.

23. manus manum lavat says:

I don’t know how any one else has been able to get the early termination fees canceled. I’ve run into nothing but roadblocks so far. It doesn’t matter what the customer agreement says, the billing people aren’t going to agree to it. It’s not on their accepted list of reasons to cancel without termination fees. :/

24. pigeonpenelope says:

@myotheralt: uh yeah, tmobile can give you 600 whenever minutes plus unl nights and weekends for 39.99 and your military discount on top of that.