Geek Squad Replaces Soaked Computer For Free

computerunderwaterNicole’s computer seemed to have developed water damage after she sent it in to Geek Squad, a favor for which they wanted to charge her $730. After her story posted to The Consumerist, some higher-ups cattle-prodded Sam, in charge of Geek Squad’s “Public Defender” team, and he jumped into action. Now Nicole has her computer back, completely repaired, free of charge. She says, “Sam at Geek Squad corporate was really helpful.” Woot, internet pillory wins again!

PREVIOUSLY: Geek Squad Soaks Your Computer, Blames You
(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. heavylee-again says:

Hey everyone! Wake up! Stop using companies that treat its customers like crap!

2. Traveshamockery says:

How dare you say anything positive about Best Buy, you sell-outs.

/sarcasm.

3. zentex says:
  4. OPRAH says:

How about you post a picture of Nicole? I’d take a loss if she’s gorgeous.

5. gamin says:

@InfiniTrent: lol, there still firedog :P

6. Part-Time-Viking says:

I’ve replaced tons of computers at my store, a few outside of what the customer deserved.

7. Mackus says:

It’s IMPOSSIBLE for a unit to acquire liquid damage at a Geek Squad service center. No liquids other than those that are used for repairs are allowed anywhere near a computer (alcohol, contact cleaner, etc.). This rule is enforced by a security team. If you were found with a drink or something of that nature near a computer, you would be in quite a bit of trouble. If liquid wasn’t spilled on the unit by Nicole or someone that uses Nicole’s computer, it either happened at a Geek Squad precinct or during shipping.

While I would never claim that what Nicole is stating is impossible, it’s very unlikely. It’s more likely that Nicole or someone that has used Nicole’s computer spilled liquid on it. I couldn’t tell you how many customer’s that I’ve attempted to contact only to have their children answer the phone & beg me not to tell their parents. I can even recall a time when a teenager didn’t want us to tell on him for drinking & spilling beer on his mother’s computer.

The fact of the matter is that if someone at Geek Squad told you that they’ve found evidence of liquid damage on or in your computer, it’s quite likely that they discovered corrosion. Corrosion wouldn’t occur in the time frame that was described by Nicole. If the store filed an escalation, there would probably be photos of said corrosion that would easily clear up the issue. Besides, it’s VERY easy to overlook liquid damage when said liquid is clear, like water, for instance. There are even cases where the corrosion is underneath the motherboard & in most cases, a DC jack & keyboard replacement doesn’t require the removal of said motherboard (DC jacks are very often cables/harnesses & not soldered). Water damage in many cases wouldn’t make the keyboard stick either & usually everything is dry within a few days.

This is most likely just another case of a consumer complaining until they get their way, despite the facts. However, as I stated above, I wouldn’t go so far as to say that it’s impossible for liquid damage to have occured in shipping. As most of us that work in the industry know, if a customer moans loud enough, they’ll be taken care of, eventually.

8. yuhong says:

“Woot, internet pillory wins again!”
    It seems, according to an interview with Robert Stephens, that he uses Google Alerts, which I think is part of why it works.