Satire: Home Depot Honors Fallen Veterans With "Memorial Decks"

The Onion News Network delivers a mock news sketch where an interview with the mother of a fallen US soldier is interwoven with bald-faced Home Depot ads. It skewers in-programming product placement, retailers bestowing empty honors to capitalize on tragedy and drive sales, and all those morning “news” talk shows with the substance of a used candy wrapper. And, according to America’s second-finest news source, Best Week Ever, this is actually sorta based on reality.

ONN Video About Home Depot Cashing In On War Vets Would Be More Funny If It Were Less True [Best Week Ever]

Comments

1. Tzepish says:

I thought the video was fairly sad, but then I found the reality behind it puke-inducing.

2. grandpajack says:

I am a retired USAF Colonel and I can tell you not one single dime will ever go to Home Depot from me EVER AGAIN!!! The can kiss my posterior. I am going to point every addresse in my e-mail to this consumerist entry and ask them to stop shoping at Home Depot, and tell every one else to do the same. Ought to be about 20,000 before the weekend is over.

3. ptkdude says:

I can’t put into words how much I love Today Now! and The Onion. I love how the Home Depot logo in the corner keeps getting bigger. Sadly, I think it’s only a matter of time before this sort of “sponsorship” becomes real and not just a joke.

4. KivaWolf says:

The look on the mother’s face, “WTF?!” tells everything. I mean seriously I would have that kind of look on my face too if they tried to offer that crap to me. She even looked like as if she was unsure to accept the free power drill. I would’ve prolly thrown that thing at the cameras.

5. yesteryear says:

this is no worse than “extreme home makeover” where they talk about sears and all the other corporations as they are building a festive bunk bed for a kid who lost his parents to highway sniper fire or something else horrifying and sad. that show… ugh. hate it. onion: brilliant.

6. slowreader says:

@KivaWolf: You do know this is a joke, right?

7. I have never laughed so hard at anything on the Internet.

Satire is great.

8. jamesdenver says:

Yeah people joke about having the 9/11 “memorial” sales years down the road. But we already hawk mattresses, cars, and furnture at a measely 10% off for Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day. Doesn’t seem too far fetched to me…

9. scoosdad says:

Brilliant. Now if only NBC had the kahunas to run this on the Tonight Show like Jay Leno used to do with the animated clips from JibJab. This thing needs a wider audience, easily as funny as anything on Saturday Night Live.

Was the commercial at the end real? If so, props to the Onion for not making us sit through it before the main clip ran.

10. shiznannigan says:

The “based on reality” for this is Home Depot doing a Memorial Day discount for military service members. How is that such a bad thing? The Burger King “Free medium fries” coupon is way worse.

If you want funny, check out the Onion’s “Bring your daughter to war day” video.

[wonkette.com]

11. CyberSkull says:

I can barely watch the video without gagging, and I haven’t gotten to the 1 minute mark.