Round 32: News Corp vs Hallmark/Westland Meat Packing Company

This is Round 32 in our Worst Company in America contest, News Corp vs Hallmark/Westland Meat Packing Company, marking the end of tier 1 voting (phew!). Vote which sucks more, inside…

Here’s what our readers said when they nominated these two companies:

News Corp:
“The company that brings us Faux News, crappy reality series on Fox and the hive of scum (idiot self-centered teens) and villainy (sexual predators) that is MySpace. Oh yeah, and the Post too! Not only they want the WSJ, they want a piece of Yahoo! as well.”
“Allah/God/SpaceInvaders have mercy on you morons that don’t know why.”

Hallmark/Westland Meat Packing Company:
No readers specified why, but we suspect it has to do with them putting cows they knew were sick into the food supply for little kiddies to eat for their school lunch. Just look up “downer cows.”

This is a post in our Worst Company In America 2008 series. The companies nominated for this honor were chosen by you, the readers. Keep track of all the goings on at consumerist.com/tag/worst-company-in-america/

STILL OPEN FOR VOTING:
Google Vs Sony
Ticketmaster vs Wachovia
Facebook vs The American Arbitration Association
Comcast vs Menu Foods

Comments

1. zentex says:

wow ben, you might want to overhaul the *entire* post…(damn that copy/paste!!)

:-)

2. sporesdeezeez says:

Well, at least the first line…

3. ThunderRoad says:

Where is the updated ladder?

4. Buran says:

Vote where?

5. Illusio26 says:

Where is the vote button?

6. hypnotik_jello says:

uhm, wtf

7. chiieddy says:

?

8. zentex says:

@ThunderRoad: I’ve been wondering that myself

9. krom says:

Must have posted just before going to lunch, you’d think he’d notice by now and fixy.

10. blackmage439 says:

I can has Java “vote” button?

11. nyaz says:

This will surely be another blowout.

12. ret3 says:

Rupert Murdoch stole the voting widget!

13. Munsoned says:

I’m betting this was meant to be posted tomorrow (or monday).

14. SuffolkHouse says:

@ret3:

He didn’t steal it! He owns it!

Why do you hate his freedom?

15. Bladefist says:

god dang fox news, the last thing we need is conservatives being represented on 1 channel on cable. This means somebody could conceivably be able to hear another side of the story. This just cannot happen.

16. Pro-Pain says:

Conservatisism is a metal disorder.

17. SuffolkHouse says:

@Bladefist:

A conservative voice? I thought they were fair and balanced? Gosh, and I’d been watching all this time thinking they’d report and I’d decide. Turns out they are conservative!

18. This was the company with the workers who dragged sick cows with forklifts. Heartbreaking if you’ve seen the footage.

19. I don’t care if Hallmark is deliberately injecting e-coli into the meat. News Corp is the embodiment of evil, the facilitator, enabler, and defender of much, much more of this sort of thing, and Rupert Murdoch is the Antichrist. I occasionally find myself in a waiting room where there are multiple TVs all tuned to Fox News Channel, and I can just feel the IQ points evaporating from my gray matter as I try desperately to divert my attention to something, ANYTHING else. Fox News has so lowered the level of discourse, it has become a contagion in its own right. Other news channels, hoping to recapture viewers lost to Fox’s brand of banality, feel compelled to become themselves hopelessly banal, thinking that this is what the people actually want – to hell with what they need.

20. bohemian says:

@Bladefist: It is sort of dark humor when someone leaves it on the TV at the gym. ZOMG Iran is going to nuke us TOMORROW everybody panic! The guy on the treadmill seemed a bit offended that I was laughing at FAUX news. It isn’t just point of view I’m sure some of the lack of facts has something to do with it too.

21. Buran says:

How can a company that abuses animals and messes with the food supply be losing!!?

22. hellinmyeyes says:

@A.W.E.S.O.M.-O:

I agree with you. News Corp. is going to sell a media product as long as there are idiots out there to sit for hours a day on their couch and not change the channel, but the callous disregard for the animals’ well-being is just gross neglect.

23. johnva says:

@Bladefist: The problem is not their “point of view”. The problem is that they deliberately lie and omit facts that are inconvenient to their agenda.

24. WannaBblonde says:

@Buran: Right on! Screw the faux news when the kids are forced to eat bad food!! It’s your choice to believe what you hear; what are the kids supposed to do? Go hungry or get sick…

25. ninjatales says:

This was a tough one but News Corp deserves to get nominated especially with the recent news about illegally trying to take out another competitor.

26. sharki3232 says:

Newscorps may not be the Vatican, but at least they’re not poisoning the food supply. And Crossfire lowered the level of debate not Fox News.

27. hypnotik_jello says:

@Buran: because a free and objective media is possibly more important in society? A free and objective media could expose injustices in the world (including those at the hallmark/meating packing plant).

28. plustax says:

I’m sure in that investigative report on Hallmark there were many hours of footage on the cutting room floor. I don’t think this was the company systematically playing forklift soccer with the downer cows but a couple of really stupid employees with a sick sense of humor.

Fox on the other hand has forklift soccer of downer cows on their intermurual schedule as a regular event .

29. yagisencho says:

Fox News Corporation intentionally poisons the mental environment, lowers and cheapens our political discourse, appeals to base desires and fears, and uses shady business practices to accomplish these goals.

Eighth circle of Hell for these guys.

30. highmodulus says:

Hmm, looks like another blow-out. When does round two start?

31. ekasbury says:

Funny, and I learned about Westland while watching the Fox Newsish Channel. But seriously, when we can at least kinda decide to try to avoid Newscorp, those tormented cows were completely at the mercy of Westland. I would gladly watch both companies wither away, but if forced to choose between the two, Westland gets my vote.

32. hunter_ellroy says:

Tough call! Poisoning the minds of Americans or poisoning the lunches of unsuspecting children. Gotta go with ekasbury on this one — at least the individual has the option of picking a different channel than fox. The kids had no idea what they were getting.

33. Munsoned says:

@Munsoned: I stand corrected…

34. Bladefist says:

@SuffolkHouse: It goes show by show. They say their news is fair and balanced, but they also have special shows with known opinion slants.

@johnva: Have you ever watched Fox news, or are you just regurgitating what you hear?

@bohemian: like I said, some of it is opinion. And I hear all kinds of wild opinions on all kinds of channels. I mean global warming to me is the biggest lie in the world, its on every station, and people are trying to reduce their carbon footprint. And I laugh daily, especially when news comes out that we are in a global cooling period and ocean waters are below normal temps. Yet Al Gore presses on. Hilarious.

@Pro-Pain: Liberalism is a fact hating cult.

35. Bladefist says:

btw, I don’t even have cable, or Fox news. I just hate the hypocracy of hating biased media. Since they are all biased.

I guess you guys favor nbc,abc,cbs because they tell you what you want to hear.

36. Angryrider says:

Westland gets almost 40% of the vote?! Are you kidding me? Our children don’t have to eat meat. But Fox is poisoning their minds! And that’s the type of damage that lasts a lifetime.

37. Angryrider says:

@Buran: Because they’re not insulting and ruining our intelligence.

38. johnva says:

@Bladefist: Yes, I’ve watched it. I’m also informed enough to know when I’m being lied to.

And no, I do not favor NBC, ABC, or CBS. They are right-wing corporate news outlets as well. Virtually all of our major news media in this country is “pro-status quo”, “pro-corporate” (things that are quite related to conservatism, but that have infected the Democratic party as well). But I know I’m not going to convince you of this.

39. smartmuffin says:

Seeing as how FOX News completely dominates it’s direct competition, I fail to see how we can call it a “bad” company. In television, ratings are the most honest customer satisfaction survey that exists.

40. Munsoned says:

Fox is no better or worse than CNN, MSNBC, or any other cable news outlet. Upset because they present things in a way that liberals (and some independents) don’t like? Get over it. Mindless Fox TV shows in my house? That’s unpossible!!!

You say we can stop eating meat but Fox corrupts our youth? How about turning off the damn TV and subscibing to something other than the NYPost?

Poisoning the food supply to needy children FTW.

41. @Bladefist: You think John Gibson, the only anchorman I know who has the nerve to sport preacher hair on the air, is unbiased? Get real. I would prefer my news filtered for relevance, and nothing else, thank you very much, and that goes for the other 24-hour cable channels AND the Big Three networks as well.

42. Oh, and Neil Cavuto. Unbiased? Really?

43. Bladefist says:

@johnva: As far as fox news, there is nothing to convince me on. I know that all news channels slant. Manipulate data. They all do. If you will agree they all do, so will I. But picking Fox out, and saying they are the only one, you won’t win on that. Because I am smart enough to know when I’m being lied to as well.

As far as you think the other, ABC, NBC, CBS as being right wing too, I’m totally lost man. Those are the channels that I get, and I feel very frustrated whenever I watch them. They speak badly about the war, the economy. They will definitely let you know of any republican screw ups, and quietly refuse to report on the democrat screw ups. Wasn’t it ABC and NBC that didn’t even cover the Wright thing w/ Obama?

Maybe they are pro-corporate, because they understand we are corporations. And when bad things happen to corporations, bad things happen to people. The employees, the investors, all the 401ks, the consumers. Everyone loses when corporations lose. Being pro-corporate isnt being conservative, it’s being aware of your surroundings.

44. Mr. Guy says:

the video footage of those cows being forklifted around is far worse than anything i’ve ever seen on fox news. THere is nothing that enrages me more than cruelty to animals, especially those that are harmelss to begin with and have falled sick through mistreatment and neglect. Fox may be a lot of bad things, but what those workers did to those creatures is evil personified. vote hallmark.

45. PierreGrzybowski says:

hmmm…I hope this works

src=’[video.hsus.org]‘ width=302 height=262 scrolling=’no’ frameborder=0 marginwidth=0 marginheight=0>

46. Trai_Dep says:

I’ll skip past their calling Bush the ’00 victor early (and unsurprisingly, wrongly). By Bush’s Fox-employed cousin. Like Bush, Love Fox. End of story.

Cheerleaders for the web of lies that garnered enough confused support to get the US involved in an intractable, 1,000-year war in the Middle East that siphons $3 trillion , as of today.
    Thousands of needlessly slaughtered servicemen, collapsed $US, ruinous oil prices, world standing that’s in the basement, missed opportunities galore that dooms our kids to living in a wispy shadow of what we once were and will be.

I can’t imagine any worst that an enemy of America could do. All done for their self-aggrandizement and greed.

And they cancelled Firefly. Bast*rds!!

47. PierreGrzybowski says:

Please forgive my fumblings here…

Slaughterhouse under Scrutiny

48. Rbastid says:

Wow Bias much?

You put weak ideas under the Newscorp label, you basically have them on there cause a Conservative owns them and runs a #1 news outlet.

Based on your logic MSNBC should win as worst since Chris Mathews openly admited he gets a hardon for Obama and Bathtub boy hasn’t made a correct point in close to 5 years.

You guys tend to do alot of good with the help you give, but 95% of the blogs in this grouping are such tools when it comes to Politics.

49. PinkBox says:

I voted for News Corp here. And I used to work for them. Yay.

50. PierreGrzybowski says:

Ah, I think this is it.

51. chrylis says:

Hey, at least Fox brings us the Simpsons (and House, I suppose). And you can always change the channel, etc., etc. It’s awfully hard to tell which packer your meat came from.

52. They should put every News Corp product separately in the competition. Myspace and FOX News have their individual reserved spots in hell.

53. LUV2CattleCall says:

@bohemian:

Fox news, like the Ionic Breeze, is an idiot bacon: If I see either at someone’s place, either 1) Last time I’m there or 2) I’ll gladly help them with computers/electronics/whatever but add a HUGE markup to stuff I buy on Newegg..

54. Trai_Dep says:

@chrylis: Wow. Yup, The Simpsons totally makes up for 4,000 US service-members unnecessarily, wastefully slaughtered, and >60,000 of them maimed beyond all recognition or functionality. For. Sure.
    USA! USA! USA!

55. JustaConsumer says:

News Corp is an agent of propaganda that brings us closer to fascism everyday. No contest.

56. Munsoned says:

@Trai_Dep: Um, Fox did not start the war, your president and Congress did that by themselves. I’m hard-pressed to find any instance where Bush has listened to the general public whatsoever either before or after starting the war in Iraq. He does whatever he wants and could care less about you or me. Fox might “champion” it, but that’s an opinion and certainly NOT the same as Congress passing the law authorizing it (or Bush signing the orders to implementing it)…

57. Verdigris says:

@Trai_Dep: Mmmm… idiot bacon…

@Bladefist: Every comment I see you put on this site makes me hate republicans more and more… and my parents are republican. Why must you make me hate my parents?

I voted News Corp. They control much more than the food you may/may not put on your plate. Any corporation with that much control has to be evil.

58. Trai_Dep says:

It’s highly amusing to see the revisionism of how their efforts were so minor, their effects so miniscule. If you think propaganda has no role in effecting public opinion, and thus votes, you’re simply ignorant of history.

Fox was the GOP-friendly megaphone of first choice when the neocon cabal wanted to spread their lies. The White House considered them their “friendly” news outlet.
    ALL of the falsehoods (except Judith Miller – nice work, White House!) used to hype the public into a baying mob originated and were promulgated the longest, by Fox.
    Fox also led the charge of tarring anyone raising reasonable skepticism a McCarthyesque brush.
    Fox viewers still form the largest US segment that thinks Iraq was responsible for the Twin Towers. If their role has no impact, why is that?

It’s only after Fiasco has been exposed for what it is that the Fox minions are scurrying to cover up their vast, coordinated efforts with the Republicans to get us mired in a neutralized country instead of avenging 9/11.

At least they’re consistent: they’re trying to hype a non-existent Iran threat and they’re doing their damnedest to ensure that McCain wins, to keep the US in Iraq for another hundred years. But hardly a change of heart, no?

59. Verdigris says:

@LUV2CattleCall: @Verdigris: Doh, That was meant for someone else. Joke wasted…

60. Bladefist says:

@Verdigris: You should talk to your parents, may you would learn something

@LUV2CattleCall: oh yer so coolz!

@Munsoned: The Bush blows never stop here. But congress is never mentioned, why? Well you know why. Before 2006, Congress would be taking as many blows as Bush does.

There is nothing wrong with being upset with the direction of this country. Feel free to do your part in November to change it. However, when you attack Bush for policies your congress could change, you sound like an idiot. Congress approval rating is worse then Bush’s, you ever hear about that? No. Wake. Up.

It’s great that the people here are so passionate about their feelings, but can you take a second away from the boob tube to look something up? So much of the stuff on here is just regurgitated slime.

As far as Fox news, their ratings are through the charts. I’m not saying what is popular is always right, however, have you ever thought maybe you’re wrong? Or did that never occur to you? I read so many sites, left wing, right wing, everything. I endure people I don’t agree with to be sure I’m getting all the facts. Try it.

61. Verdigris says:

@Bladefist: You should talk to your parents, may you would learn something

Like correct grammar? lolz

Anyways, as much as I’d like to follow in the footsteps of my hypocritical, conservative, christian parents… I find that thinking for myself and believing in what I want to believe in has done just fine for me. I don’t like either side of any argument to dictate what I think the outcome should be.

I think for myself, by myself… not blindly following some social agenda.

62. JDAC says:

As much as I dislike Murdoch, and the cretinous “journalism” of The Sun, Fox did bring us House, Family Guy, King of the Hill and the first 8 seasons of the Simpsons.

Sick cows in food supply takes it for me.

63. vatica40 says:

Newscorp is bigger, and as we all know, the bigger the company, the worse it inevitably is. So sayeth the Internet!

But no, dangerous meat trumps me changing the channel or not buying WSJ, people.

64. Bladefist says:

@Verdigris: ah yes the grammar police. A sign of a losing argument.

You say Christian like its a bad thing.

I think for myself also. I’m generally more conservative then most public conservatives.

65. angrychicken says:

NewsCorp might want to make me kill myself out of anger and frustration but at least they aren’t selling stuff that can actually kill me (yet). Screwing with the food supply gets my vote

66. Verdigris says:

@Bladefist: I was simply making a joke. No hard feelings.

Being a Christian (sorry for the improper use of a captial C) is not a bad thing, in theory. Being a member of any religion is not a bad thing. However, being a member of one religion is basically saying that being a member of another religion is a bad thing. I’m pretty sure that just created a paradox.

I’m just open to all sorts of things… some thing Fox News isn’t.

67. nardo218 says:

@Steaming Pile: *points* What he said. I despise the news, reporters, newspapers because they take scientific reports and mash them down with their tiny brains into little nuggets of untruth, and pass it off to the public as the original truth. And the public believes it because when they were kids, they were watching tv instead of learning how to respect professional scholarship.

I’ve voted for companies that cause harm to living things over financial or idealogical harm so far, but in this case, I think news agencies have proliferated so much stupidity in our culture, so that our first world, modern advances are completely pointless. How do you take down a world superpower? You make its people as ignorant, fear-mongering, and reactive as a pack of neanderthals squatting in the dirt.

68. I hate to violate Godwin’s Law, but it’s hard not to compare FOX News with the war propaganda machine of that party ran by a guy named Adolph in the 1930s and 40s.

69. nardo218 says:

@ekasbury: You — and the rest of the country — could have learned about those raped little girls’ plight sooner if the conservative media wasn’t cowed by the christian right.

We hear about a few downed cows; how many other hideous abuses don’t we hear about because Newscorp is profiting from it?

70. Bladefist says:

@Verdigris: Ok. I fully agree. Most religions say that though. In some form or another. Some are radical, like the radicals in Iraq/Iran who want to kill infidels (people not like them). Some religions say if you aren’t them, you’ll go to hell. Some are less specific, but I think generally everyone thinks their religion is the best, and correct, otherwise they wouldn’t be there.

And Fox news has Bill Oreilly. You can argue if he is an asshole or not. Thats fine. But if you ever watch him, truely watch, not listen to out of context clips on youtube, you’ll see, he is very open minded. He is an independent, he is not registered republican or democrat. His guests are always from both sides. It is his show, so it’s not fair and balanced, but he is very moderate, and he will attack conservatives on the issues.

So anyone waying Bill Oreilly is a conservative, republican, or anything of the sort, is uninformed. A prick, maybe. He is nowhere near my hero, that spot is taken by Mark Levin.

71. Trai_Dep says:

Oh, hey, Consumerist people -

I hope that, this being the last of the first round, you’ll do a recap of the results. You’ve got the whole weekend, after all.
    Plus comparisons (most lopsided, closest, most/least ttl votes, comments, best accompanying graphic, most expletives by commentators, etc). With pretty charts and graphs.
    And kittens.

72. Verdigris says:

@Trai_Dep: I second the kittens

73. thelushie says:

@Bladefist: All news media slants things to their own way of thinking. That is why you read and watch multiple sources. So as much as everyone bitches and moans about Fox news and those who watch it (and it is alot of people), I say the same thing about people who get all their info from The Daily Kos and CNN. Pot meet kettle.

I am an independent…not left, not right. I take issues that I care about, become well informed about them and decide from there. Unlike most people, I don’t let a party or others dictate what I think.

Apparently postnocomments is one of those individuals who I tend to rip apart in a debate. Get off The Daily Kos and step away from the library computer. To compare Fox News to anything The Third Reich put out is absolutely stupid. In fact, I think that is one of the stupidest things I have heard in a long time. And I walk around a college campus so I hear some pretty asinine things.

74. thelushie says:

And I voted for the Westland Meat Packing Company. What they did was pathetic.

75. Bladefist says:

@thelushie: Obviously I fully agree. As a recent college graduate, I know exactly how you feel.

Colleges are worse then news channel, because some people trust their teachers are teaching them facts not opinions

76. Trai_Dep says:

Oh, Consumeratti – the “You’ve got the whole weekend, after all”, was snarky, not serious. Rereading it, I realized I needed to point this out. After all, you have livers to bathe in alcohol, bedbugs to feed and many, many meaningless sexual encounters to engage in. And the clock’s already ticking.

Gawd, I love New York!

77. Trai_Dep says:

@Bladefist: Well, good colleges – especially those teaching Liberal Arts – teach you to think rather than cataloging facts. Or, “facts”, if you will.
    If you think that there’s only one truth, you’ve missed out on a good education. Shame, that.

78. sporks says:

While I think Fox news is certainly evil, I think it’s more evil to feed kids downer cows.

79. wildness says:

This was a tough one… Murdoch, the scum of the Earth, or those trying to feed us scum.

80. Lucky225 says:

@wildness:
    Actually, both try to “feed” us scum. =)
    Murdoch is def. worse, people get the impression you get to choose what you eat, for those of us without internet resources, it’s hard to get the truth when the only thing available is Murdoch’s rubbish. =P

81. Feba says:

@Bladefist: Are you insulting conservatives?

82. Bladefist says:

@Feba: no

@Trai_Dep: It would be pretty hard to teach that, and pretty easy to let your own opinions influence your lectures. I am a CS major, so, I didn’t spend a whole lot of time in the Poly Sci division, just 1 or 2 gen eds, and my teacher was a flaming liberal. It was disgusting. Teaching to hate corporations, against the war, socialism is the way to go.

However, I did skip a lot of days, maybe I missed the days he was teaching free thought. You don’t need to go to class when your teacher is a liberal. You know all the answers.

Why is our economy in a recession?
    a) Bush is corrupt
    b) Bush is dumb
    c) Both A & B

Why is this country so great?
    A) Because of the Clintons
    B) Because of the Kennedys
    C) Because of Bush
    D) both A & B

Global warming is real and we’re killing our unborn children:

a) true
    b) False

Yep, I was a top notch student lol

83. Buran says:

@WannaBblonde: There’s just absolutely no excuse for doing things like mess with the food supply. People die from that sort of thing. Stupid TV shows? Just turn the thing off and walk away.

84. Trai_Dep says:

Everyone’s biased – we’re not the Borg. Liberal Arts classes (good ones) at schools (good ones) embrace this certainty and give you tools to reason, to source, to verify, then to communicate these findings in a way that finds an amicable meeting of minds. Well, and the shagging. Lots of shagging!
    Computer Science majors’ thinking is funny, in that sometimes they mistake the pristine, binary world of their studies with a much richer one they inhabit. Prone to seeing the world as if constructed of nails, simply because all they know how to use is a hammer.
    Shame, that. Your world must be very… Flat.

85. Bladefist says:

@Trai_Dep:

“You think that global warming is fiction and a clump of cells is a human being. Wow. Sort of proves my point, does it not?”

No it doesn’t.

As for the last part of your argument, not worth responding too. Actually none of it was.

86. Trai_Dep says:

So, 15% of pregnancies result in miscarriages, of which 50% are cause-unknown of over 4m US births/year. Since over 400,000 “people” are “murdered” in this fashion, with half “suspicious”, why aren’t you clamoring for trails for second degree murder, manslaughter & reckless endangerment? Since little humans are being wantonly executed by their mothers?
    Imagine the outcry if this came to be.
    Can’t have it both ways: either you jail 15% of expecting mothers for their miscarriages or you admit these clumps of cells fall short of humanity.

This is one – of the many – of the reasons why thoughtful people separate the two.

Regards your skipping the other stuff, I expected as much. People of your ilk are unused to talking about ideas. You’re not learned to think but rather to repeat bullet-points. Wanted to point this out to other readers, however.

87. mac-phisto says:

man i’m pissed i missed this debate. that’s what i get for going outside & planting some flowers over the weekend. =(

88. boandmichele says:

anyone who might still be reading this early monday morning post,

[www.thedailyshow.com]

there is a link to a daily show segment highlighting the fox news channel. sure, its from a biased source, but you cant argue with the hypocrisy shown over and over by fox.