The Future Of Air Travel Fees

Minyanville has received a leaked copy of how a US Airways ticket will look after they apply some new fees that are currently under development…

[Minyanville via Upgrade: Travel Better]

Comments

1. ConsumptionJunkie says:

First, Delta, now U.S. Airways. Isn’t price collusion illegal?

2. jmschn says:

LOL Fi Fo Fum!

3. smirky says:

Buckle & air sickness bag use tutorial and emergency exit instructions fee….$8.50

4. adambadam says:

I love how the complimentary bag costs me a buck twenty-three

5. I like how the “complimentary” air sickness bag costs money in the future. :)

6. @adambadam: ahhhh you beat me to the punch

7. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

Answering “What’s this fee for?” fee….$7.95
    Answering “Are you fricking serious?” fee….$9.95

8. Buran says:

@jmschn: I smell the blood of an ENGLISHMAN!

9. Joewithay says:

Fee: lol fee $4.50

10. Buckus says:

Seriously, though, airlines won’t be able to survive unless they can raise ticket prices in-line with their expenses. I once worked at a computer store whose motto seemed to be “We lose money on each sale, but we make up for it in volume!” Well, needless to say, it went of business. If airlines cannot raise their ticket prices to meet expenses, soon there will be only a few airlines left and if you think ticket prices are high now, you ain’t seen nothing yet!

11. ptkdude says:

My favorite has to be the Fee Fee.

12. Maybe we can fly planes by burning consumer angst. With oil at $120 a barrel we’re going to have to find some alternative to fossil fuels.

13. howie_in_az says:

$75 for air! What if I bring my own?

14. azntg says:

Where’s the “Fee: Just Because We Can Charge This and Blame FAA For It Fee”?

15. azntg says:

that and the “Fee: FAA Airplane Maintenance Compliance Fee”!

Especially in light of relatively current events!

16. @howie_in_az: Sill. You can’t bring your own oxygen generator unless it is an approved model.

And for the approval, there is a $75.00 fee.

17. @ptkdude: I thought the “Fee Fee” was quite amusing, too.

If only because there’s a “Fee Fee Road” in St. Louis.

18. PeanutButter says:

if i don’t use the tray table, do i get my 2.75 back?

19. warnold says:

What I really like, is that there’s one more price listed than there are fees named.

Nice way of cheating someone in a price listing like this.

20. TheRealAbsurdist says:

@howie_in_az: Then it becomes an exhalation fee…

21. stanfrombrooklyn says:

American just cancelled our flight from Paris to JFK so we were rebooked on Air France. Even though we were in crowded coach, we giggled the whole trip home that we actually got served free meals, free drinks, free wine, free beer, and everyone had a little TV in their armrest. The flight attendants were nice, well mannered, and didn’t seem like they were pissed they had to show up to work. Why can’t US airlines operate this way?

22. Keat says:

Raising prices is fine. It’s tacking on fees after the sale that’s the problem. If I’m shopping for a flight, I want to be able to realistically compare prices between the airlines.

I don’t want to save $10 on a ticket only to find out later that my second bag will cost me $25 but would have been free on the airline that was $10 more.

23. DearEditor says:

@PeanutButter: For $13.75 you can pre-book a table-less seat. Lap service is available for $50 per 15 minutes (select flights only).

24. econobiker says:
  25. econobiker says:

@econobiker:

Above should have said: Where is the “FAA/Governmental regulation cost recovery fee”?

26. femmesavante says:

HAHA. I’m crying laughing at this.

27. LUV2CattleCall says:
  28. ninjatales says:

Fee Fi Fo Fum
    I smell a human scum!

29. mmcnary says:

I just punked my boss with this. I told him it was for a 1 day conference next month. He got about 1/2 way down before the nickel dropped…

30. NoWin says:

Needs a “We will take it seriously Fee” (Payable only in-advance) Rate to be determined.

31. wwwhitney says:

@Keat: That’s the dilemma the airline industry is facing. They have little control over the price that shows up on websites like Priceline or Orbitz. If one carrier has a ticket at $200, other carriers have to match or get very close to that price for the same route/time even if it means losing money.

The only way for them to keep treading water is to ding you for all its worth with surprise fees once you’ve already purchased your non-refundable ticket. Note that the vast majority of these fees don’t apply to loyal customers in frequent flyer programs. Airlines don’t care if you’re pissed at them if you only flew them because they offered the cheapest price (i.e. the vast majority of customers).

It’s messed up and it’s cutthroat but until fuel prices go down (yeah right) or customers stop shopping based on price alone (in which case you’d still be paying for those fees, they would just appear in the ticket price), the situation isn’t going to change.

32. Claystil says:

That’s a great deal on an airsick bag.

33. PeanutButter says:

@stanfrombrooklyn: because that would make too much sense. being nice to customers is the right thing to do, but they act like they do just for shits and giggles.

34. PeanutButter says:

@Claystil: they make great party favor bags.