Since its creation in 2001, the TSA has fired over 200 employees for stealing. Since the TSA will invariably deny your request for compensation if you file a theft claim, your best bet is to either pack valuables in your carry-on, or just leave them home all-together. [MSNBC]

Comments

1. azntg says:

I’m sorry to have to phrase it in this manner, but: Is anybody really surprised? You have good guys and bad guys working in the same workplace. *shrug*

2. Orv says:

This really sucks for technicians who have to travel with tools, since you can’t really carry those on anymore. One field tech told me he loses one tool per flight to sticky-fingered TSA workers and baggage handlers. Leatherman tools seem to be their favorites.

3. thatgirlinnewyork says:

TSA employees search our carry-ons, as well, so that’s no assurance. will never forget when one @ newark shook my zip-lock bag–it gave way, and a legally-sized bottle tumbled out. she plucked it off the belt and said, “this should have been in the bag” and gleefully tossed it in a garbage bag nearby. bitch actually threatened put me off my flight if i complained further, so i’m hoping she was one of the 200.

4. Only 200?

5. Erskine says:

Why are TSA agents that handle our luggage INVARIABLY black? Is it an extra method to supress complaints, because they can play the race card? It really irks the hell out of me. All of the front line crew are straight outta Compton – espacially at Hartsfield in ATL. Scary dawgs.

6. bobpence says:

@Pixelantes Anonymous: Yeah, that is a tiny percentage… that got caught. Sounds like the real best bet, amorally speaking, is to join the TSA.

7. Orv says:

@Erskine: Wow, who knew this deck even had a race card? Yikes. I don’t think that even deserves an answer.

8. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@Erskine:

Wow. Way to play that moron card there guy.

9. Erskine says:

@Orv: I take it that you don’t fly?

10. Erskine says:

@Jaysyn: OMFG! You are the funniest guy on the intarweb!

But, I stand by my “racism.” Until I am proven wrong or given a logical answer.

11. forgottenpassword says:

YUP! ALWAYS pack valuables in your carryon or on your person (just dont carry large amounts of cash .. like $10,000). AND… check your checked luggage for damaged/stolen articles while in the airport after arriving at your destination. MANY airports have odd/quirky policies regarding this (in order to keep from having to pay claims).

12. If you’re traveling with something you really don’t want stolen, but have to check, here’s a tip: buy a starter pistol and pack it with your checked baggage. Starter pistols are cheap, and the airlines consider them weapons. You’ll need to declare it as a firearm when you check in.

You’ll probably have to fill out a few extra forms, and you’ll need a hard-sided case, but there’s an extra layer of scrutiny and accountability for this sort of baggage. In addition, the screeners check the bag in front of you and then YOU GET TO LOCK THE CASE WITH YOUR OWN (NON-TSA APPROVED) LOCK. The asshats handling the luggage really don’t want to lose baggage with a firearm inside, and they can’t steal your stuff out of your bag when it’s all locked up. A photographer friend who routinely checks expensive lenses and equipment swears by this method.

13. azntg says:

@Erskine: I’m sure you know this just as well as anyone around here, but there’s an automatic kneejerk reaction from people anytime anything involving race, religion, ethnicity, etc. are mentioned.

Yeah, believe it or not, I notice that there seems to be a lot of black and hispanic personnel at the airports in major urban areas. But, I find they’re like any other people. Some are more professional and courteous and others are just nothing more than total arsehats. YMMV.

14. Erskine says:

@azntg:

At Hartsfield, I have passed through TSA justidiction at least a dozen times in the past seven months on business. EVERY time (and I do mean EVERY time) I get to security, the TSA agents are black, rude, barely understandable due to a lack of ability to speak conversational english, and overtly antagonistic.

It’s like I am wearing a blue bandana in Crip territory. I actually heard one agent refer to another as “niggah” while on the line. And these were two female agents.

I keep wanting to roll up my windows and lock my doors when in line.

And almost everywhere else, the quality of agent is very similar.

15. azntg says:

@Erskine: That must really suck. The only sure fire solution (although impractical) is to stop flying outright.

Next best thing is to 1) avoid Hartsfield/Atlanta whenever possible and 2) forget about talking to the guys whenever practical. Just get your stuff together and go as fast as you can.

16. QuantumRiff says:

I think what the article is trying to say is that since 2001, 200 employees have stolen items from luggage belonging to big wigs in the TSA.

Seriously though, your always going to get people falsley filing reports, claiming something was stolen, when it was not, because someone wants to scam their way to free money, but how many complaints does it take before action is taken at an airport?