You Can Still Join A Fen-Phen Class Action Lawsuit

This lady started taking Fen-Phen and lost 30 lbs, but now she’s got high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and swollen legs, possibly indicative of primary pulmonary hypertension (PPH), the negative side effect American Home Products (now known as Wyeth) were successfully sued for upwards of $14 billion. When she called Wyeth, they told her that she had “waited too long” to file a lawsuit. However, the 2006 Fen-Phen settlement actually has a clause that says there’s no statute of limitations on filing a claim. Therefore, you can still join a class action lawsuit against them. Also goes to show you that calling up the customer service department probably isn’t the best route to take if you’re looking for objective information about suing that company…

PPH Class Action: Not Too Late [LawyersAndSettlements]
(Photo: freerangestock.com)

Comments

1. Parting says:

Way to go. Was it worth it? I think I’ll stick to exercise and Cliff bars, when I don’t have time for lunch.

2. maniacswailsome says:

I knew there’d be some judgmental blame-the-victim crap in the comments, and there it is…in the very first comment.

I happen to have a close family member who was messed up by phen-fen. She went to her doctor after not being able to control her weight on her own with Weight Watchers, etc. She asked him for help with a diet plan. He gave her a referral to a nutritionist to draw up a diet plan for her, and these pills. He told her they were safe and she could take them for the rest of her life, and that in combination with diet and exercise she’d be able to keep the weight off.

Not everyone who took them was looking for a quick easy fix.

3. Ron Seigel says:

What kind of moron calls the company they’re wanting to sue to see if it’s possible?

4. kyle4 says:

@Ron Seigel: A moron?

But really, I’ve given up on medications due to the side effects. When I was younger I was on one for Anxiety that ended up giving me hallucinations. Not cool, not cool at all.

5. Fen-Phen was the best thing I ever did in my life. I was 16, extremely overweight and the combo killed my appetite while keeping my metabolism going full speed. I feel sorry for those adversely affected by the drug combo, but it has helped MANY folks.

6. @rainmkr: I’m glad it helped you, but a drug, no matter how good for some, that causes those sorts of wretched side effects and even death shouldn’t be on the market at all.

7. bones says:

Well then I guess there shouldn’t be any meds sold to the public because every medicine sold has killed someone. Aspirin, ibuprofen, tylenol are ALL big killers – so they have to go. No more sudafed, sudafed pe, or aleve. Certainly no prescription meds ever and those herbal remedies have to go also – since they kill quite a few people.

8. bohemian says:

There is a difference between allergic reactions and a statistical ongoing track record of damage to a significant number of patients.

This is what you get when the free market enthusiasts are allowed to mess with regulatory agencies. Fen-Phen, Vioxx, tainted Heparin. But remember it is dangerous to buy your drugs from Canada cause the FDA can’t protect you if you do!

9. chrisdag says:

This was one BS lawsuit. Wyeth didn’t even make one of the drugs and never marketed or tried to get people to take the combination.

“Fen-Phen” was a creation of the diet industry and lots of underqualified people recommending concurrent dosages of both meds.

This whole disaster is due to off-label usages of medicines that were never tested together.

Wyeth just got sued because they were the fatter financial target — you can’t sue the diet industry shills who made money telling people to take an untested drug combination.

10. BadStoat says:

It wasn’t the combo that damaged heart valves. It was one of the two drugs in the combo.

11. Kathy Geere Teti says:

I would like to find a compentent lawyer to handle my claim. When I have questions above the heads of Luke Pepper and the pro se litigant team, I get ignored for close to a year. Question: What wouldn’t a person who has a valve repaired and no longer has mitral valve prolapse and has further issues fall under Class A out of the Calss B category? Did they not think of that one also so the tem ignores it and makes it go away? Where does it say a person is locked into a CLass once you file the original claim. HELLO!!!!!