Azureus: Other ISPs May Also Be Throttling BitTorrent

Azureus has released data that suggests that Comcast may not be the only ISP throttling BitTorrent, says TorrentFreak:

A few months ago Azureus petitioned the FCC, which led to a FCC hearing in February. One of the complaints from the commission was that there is little data available on the scope of BitTorrent throttling, a gap Azureus now tries to fill by collecting data on the prevalence of TCP-resets among ISPs worldwide.

Last month Azureus published a plugin through which users can help distinguishing the good from the bad ISPs, and today we have a preview of some early findings. A massive 1,000,000 hours of data from over 8000 users has been collected over the past few weeks. The preliminary results again confirm that Comcast continues to use TCP-resets to manage BitTorrent traffic on their network, but they are not alone.

The data, which can be perused here (PDF), suggests that Cablevision, Cogeco, BellSouth and AOL are also messing with your file-sharing.

BitTorrent Throttling ISPs Exposed by Azureus [TorrentFreak via Digg]

Comments

1. Bladefist says:

Leave ComCast? If 8,000 people left Comcast, at around 40 bucks a month for internet, that would be a loss of $320,000 a month. How long until comcast stopped?

2. boandmichele says:

haha! no charter on that list.

despite everyone disliking charter comm, im continually happy with them.

3. Happy13178 says:

Don’t forget Bell and Rogers, and probably Shaw up north as well. They all do it, and freely admit it.

4. Bladefist says:

I worry about the government getting involved. I dont see the FCC/Government working to allow illegal piracy. I know there is legal use of torrent, but its probably not enough. I’m fearful the FCC will get involved, and be in favor for comcast, then push the tcp-reset technology to all other ISPs. This could back fire.

5. coan_net says:

I now have Comcast since they purchased Insight in my area.

My problem – where I live, I have 3 options.

1. slow dial-up
    2. Comcast Cable
    3. Expensive Sat.

I’m not the biggest Comcast fan, but that is what I’m stuck with right now.

6. lilkeith7 says:

Oh great Comcast is still doing it. I wish there was another service provider in my area that I could switch to.

7. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

That report can be read wrongly quite easily. Media Defender can’t possibly be the only company intentionally poisoning torrents, and those types of companies spamming fraudulent RST packets into a swarm can sign up with any ISP.

Just because it’s on the list doesn’t mean it’s happening at the ISP level. Instead, look for your ISP and see how it’s percentages compare to other ISPs of the same class (as in, Comcast vs Quest, Verizon vs Bellsouth, etc).

8. hmm.. I’ve never had any problems with my torrents on Cablevision. However, it seems from recent stories that Cablevision is turning over to the dark side more and more every day, so I could be wrong.

9. JiminyChristmas says:

In principle, I can see a justification for throttling high-bandwidth users. If the majority of casual web surfers are experiencing slow connections because of 1% who are downloading gigs of data, then that sucks for the average cable subscriber. The average user should be able to rely on a consistent baseline level of service.

Then again, in actual practice, the ISPs are handling this whole controversy in a ham-fisted and secretive manner. If they are going to manage traffic, it should be all high-bandwidth traffic, not just BT and P2P applications. Of course, is an ISP going to throttle traffic to and from a big commercial site like Amazon, myspace, or iTunes? Never.

Likewise, if the ISPs are going to throttle traffic then they need to publicly and precisely state what they are doing. Then, subscribers can decide if what they are paying for throttled service is still a fair price. Also, the FCC, et al. can determine if the ISPs are acting in a lawful manner.

Anyone who have read Consumerist for any length of time have heard stories of people hitting bandwidth caps, without being able to get anyone to tell them what the caps are. Subscribers are paying for a service, and they should be able to get a clear explanation of what they are or are not getting for their money.

10. I’ve never noticed any issues with my BT on Cablevision.

11. Zain says:

@boandmichele: Charter is #27 at 13.20%.

12. GearheadGeek says:

@boandmichele: I reluctantly agree. The video service is mediocre, but I work from home via VPN and so far the cablemodem has been very reliable since we moved here last July. Uverse is available in my neighborhood for less, but I’m afraid to mess with reliable service. *sigh*

13. mergatroy6 says:

Seriously, you can’t give this report any weight. Let’s use Cablevision, The Consumerists new devil, as an example. This report tested 71 unique users out of over 2 million. That is less that 4/1000 of a percent. The results are less than reliable.

14. GearheadGeek says:

@mergatroy6: While it would still probably add up to a less-than-significant percentage, it’s more accurate to use as the population those cablevision customers with cable modems who use bittorrent.

15. pete says:

“…is an ISP going to throttle traffic to and from a big commercial site like Amazon, myspace, or iTunes? Never.”
    Don’t be so sure of that.
    If any of their bandwidth-hungry VOD serrvices really catch on (Apple TV, Amazon Unbox, etc.) and start to eat away at their TV subscriber base, you can bet the ISPs will start to monkey with these services’ connections.
    In fact, fear of these services catching on is probably driving ISPs to look at pay-per-use plans…

16. boandmichele says:

@Zain: i sit corrected :) that said, my bittorrent transfers are consistently VERY fast. (then again, im paying for the 10mbps download speed) if at any time they start consistently interfering with traffic, i will drop them like a hat. for for the past 5 years, for me, theyve been great.

@GearheadGeek: yes, charter is very reliable for me too.

17. jeff303 says:

@Bladefist: That’s around a 0.1% decrease in their net profit for 2007. I doubt they would even blink. [en.wikipedia.org]

18. @coan_net: Welcome to the club

19. @Bladefist: Betamax vs Universal. ‘Nuff said.

20. k6richar says:

At least in American there are some decent ISPs remaining. Canada has zero! Not a single one now that Bell throttled the independent ISPs using DSL. The few cable ISPs throttle or offer ridiculously low (~20 GB) monthly caps. Hopefully the CRTC responds to the complaint very soon and we have options again.

21. rickeyretardo says:

I have cablevision and so it was only natural
    that I watch CNBC and try to make their stock plummet with my mind. When I filed for Bankruptcy 5 years ago included was money I owed to Cablevision. Since then I moved twice and live in an apartment complex where it is
    Cablevision or nothing. I was paying my monthly balance so I was shocked when I got a bill for $900.00. After speaking with several cablevision reps and calling a few different numbers, I found out that the huge balance was from the address from the bankruptcy.I told them this and they told me to get my lawyer to fax them proof. It was a pain in the ass but I went to my lawyer, had to pay a $75 file finder fee(which is bullshit in its self) and he faxed the info. I thought that would have settled it but no, the full amount was not taken off. When I called again I spoke to a rep and then the supervisor told me to prove that I didn’t owe the balance. I had already sent proof, but it was to the cablevision collection department, which I no longer had the number for and the supervisor did not believe existed. If my children weren’t addicted to Noggin I would drop the bastards. My hands are tied.

22. Chaoticfluffy says:

I have Cablevision and I’ve watched as they throttle my torrents. I can go for about five or ten minutes at full speed, and then it’s like they do a sweep and throttle anything still going. I always figured they were hiding behind “we throttle ANY high-bandwidth traffic” to avoid the bittorrent monster, but then, I never actually asked them. I’ve just gotten used to only downloading what I can get in a ten minute window…

23. kyle4 says:

Rogers in Canada likes to throttle as well.

In Canada though are internet speeds are slower than yours and they crank up the price to make us not want to download. Plus we have 60GB caps.

24. Orv says:

@Bladefist: I wouldn’t worry too much. There’s no love lost between the FCC and the cable companies right now.

25. mattbrown says:

I can’t believe this is a revelation. I’ve been using roadrunner for over five years. And every single time I’ve moved to a new place; I was getting fast speeds for about a day, then suddenly my torrent traffic is throttled.