The Crocs Fad Is Over?! Profits Down, Will Close 1 Factory

Like Zubaz pants before them, Crocs seem to be well on their way to assuming their rightful place of honor in the bad fad hall of fame as the company slashed its sales forecast and announced that it would be closing a plant in Quebec due to decreased traffic in its US stores.

Crocs CEO says:

“Current macrotrends in the environment” have led to weaker-than-expected sales, according to Crocs Chief Executive Ron Snyder, speaking to analysts during a conference call on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Japan is tired of children’s feet being mangled by escalators and has instructed the shoemaker to fix a design flaw that causes the shoes (and toes) to be sucked down into the escalator’s moving parts. CNNMoney says the Trade Ministry issued the warning after receiving 65 complaints about Crocs getting stuck in escalators. From CNN:

The Washington Metro _ one of the nation’s largest transit systems _ has even posted ads warning about such shoes on its moving stairways. The ads feature a photo of a crocodile, which is the company logo, though the signs don’t mention Crocs by name..

Crocs shares plummet 40 percent after outlook slashed [Reuters]
Japan seeks design change for Crocs because of injuries [CNNMoney]
(Photo:loop_oh)

Comments

1. deedrit says:

FINALLY!

2. Me - now with more humidity says:

Most comfortable shoes ever. Goofy looking, but really comfortable.

3. mike says:

These shoes are so ugly! In August, a few people were saying to short their stock.

Now I wish I had…

4. @sohmc: People also said Bear Sterns was in good shape.

5. moore850 says:

you mean grandma’s garden shoes aren’t really a lasting fashion staple for young people? !SHOCK!

6. GotanOrange says:

Why would you buy crocs stock in the first place?

7. FreeMarketGravy says:

It is beyond time for these disgustingly ugly things to die their rightful death.

I never understood how they became acceptable for everyday social wear. No, if you’re headed to pick up some groceries, you don’t have to dress to impress, but when did it become acceptable to wear pajama pants, wrinkled and/or stained t-shirts and these ugly things as an outfit?

8. ironchef says:

I love them. I have wide feet. For as much as we like to bash them…they are JUST shoes for crying out loud. Nothing to get overworked about them for good or bad.

9. chiieddy says:

@FreeMarketGravy: There have been some pretty weird fads out there.

Remember jellys?
    Leg warmers?
    Wearing boxer shorts as shorts?

Remember what our parents said about those?

10. bohemian says:

I have seen tons of new versions of the croc type rubber shoe. Target had a bunch that looked sort of like a Sketchers ballet slipper made out of the same rubber junk. The local big box sporting goods store had all these variations on the cast rubber shoes too.

These things are so ugly. I can’t wait until they go away.

11. tape says:

I like my Crocs just fine. But I just wear them around the house or if I’m doing something legitimately “summery” and “outdoorsy” like going to the beach.

12. sleze69 says:

THANK

GOD

13. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

I pray they don’t disappear. They are the ONLY shoe that I can wear without excruciating pain, as I have plantar fasciitis.

14. @chiieddy: Wait, I’m not SUPPOSED to wear my boxers as shorts? Maybe that’s why I get strange looks from the school across the street when I put the trash out/do yard work.

15. MeOhMy says:

Got some of the boat-shoe style ones. Between the leather upper and the unbtrusive tan color, some people don’t even realize they are crocs. Like the rubber Super-Birki clogs, they have a lot of good functional uses and I hope that if the fad wears off for the unwashed masses, they will stick around for the rest of us to keep using.

16. FreeMarketGravy says:

@chiieddy: Oh, sure. I’m just saying that usually your worse fads are one clothing item that usually accompanies a “normal” outfit, but even going back to the heyday of grunge fashion, people walking around in torn flannel, ripped/bleached jeans and with unkempt hair didn’t look as slob-like as seems to be the in fashion today.

17. nutrigm says:

Ugly and unsafe. I think these are the shoes that get stuck in escalator steps and cost people toes to wear them!

18. whatdoyoucare says:

@chiieddy: Guess what my daughter just wanted from Target? Jelly shoes! I had to laugh.

19. cashmerewhore says:

@GotanOrange:

If you’re on your feet all day (like nurses), they’re nice. Just don’t buy the ones with HOLES.

20. I own a pair. They are god awful ugly, but when I go surf fishing they are perfect. Solid enough to feel comfortable driving, enough protection to avoid sunburned feet and the sand rinses off in seconds.

21. Drowner says:

I saw a very beautiful woman dressed to the 9s on the T the other day. Her hair was in a perfect ponytail and she had this beautiful green dress that was showing all the right curves, with a hint of gold around her neck and on her ears and the georgous brown pointy dress heels.
    She sat down on the train across from me, put down her matching brown bag, looked up, smiled coyly, took off those heels one by one, and put on CROCS instead. PUKE GREEN CROCS. Wah, wah, waaaaah.

22. thesuperpet says:

@chiieddy: I do remember Jellies! I had to have them when I was like 6. They were the best thing ever back then

23. cookmefud says:

@Me: I’m sure duct taping pillows around my feet would be pretty comfy too.

24. CRNewsom says:

@Drowner: I hate it when beautiful women do stuff to make themselves stand out in all the wrong ways. Ugg boots, crocs, brown belt with black shoes, mom pants, bra with halter top, etc.

Ladies, I appreciate it when you look nice. I appreciate it when you feel good about yourself, but please have someone check to make sure you aren’t doing one of these hideous fashion faux pas.

25. GotanOrange says:

@cashmerewhore: Yeah, I understand that they’re comfortable. I asked why anyone would buy crocs STOCK.

26. csdiego says:

@CRNewsom: Are you for real? I think the woman in Drowner’s story was finished impressing whoever needed impressing that day, and didn’t really care how Drowner felt about her footwear.

That said, I don’t own Crocs and wouldn’t be caught dead in public wearing them even if I did. But I’m not that woman.

27. OldTowneTavern says:

I wear appalling outfits, but even I won’t wear my Crocs outdoors.

28. VikingP77 says:

@deedrit: Could not agree more! I knew eventually people would be turned off by how stupid and ugly they look. I would NEVER date someone who wore these. FUGLY! They belong in the garden not in public.

29. elf6c says:

Who bought the stock of a gimmick company? With an easily knocked-off product.

30. Jellies weren’t ugly like Crocs. I am always offended when I see an entire FAMILY wearing Crocs, like they made a special trip to purchase overpriced ugly. Especially after those reports came out about the elevators, and I STILL saw parents sticking their kids in them. Same thing goes for Uggs. I live in So Cal, so there is literally NO TIME when that is appropriate.

31. I came here to rip on Crocs, but seeing as I wear sandals all the time in the spring and summer, maybe I shouldn’t.

32. Interl0per says:

Now if only Crocs can take Uggs down to Hell with them…

33. khiltd says:

I am mystified by people who believe that these shoes are comfortable. They have zero arch support.

34. Notsewfast says:

@GotanOrange:
    420% Return from Feb 06 to Oct 07.

It was a major momentum play before the market started to decline.

35. JadedScientist says:

I have plantar fasciitis and bunions. If you were to hobble a mile in my shoes, you would be praying that they were Crocs. In a nice, subdued blue shade. I hear that cowboy boots are good for wide feet and plantar fasciitis, but with my cankles, I’ll never be able to find a pair off-the-shelf.

36. stavr0 says:

After announcing the shutdown on Monday, which was due at the end of July, CROX has hastily shut down the factory on Wednesday.

source: [www.cbc.ca]

37. Propaniac says:

“decreased traffic in its US stores.” The article just says “US stores”; it doesn’t imply, as the Consumerist posting does, that the Crocs company actually opened its own entire stores just selling Crocs. I couldn’t believe the company would be that optimistic about the brand’s lifespan.

38. As a parent of two kids on a swim team, Crocs have been a godsend. I can see why people may object to their use as a everyday shoe, but for poolside, they really can’t be beaten.

39. MD4Prez2032 says:

Great, we can bury them next to our Doc Martens.

40. quail says:

The only thing wrong with Crocs is the price. They cost a couple of bucks once they make it to the US from China and then are sold for $50. They are what they are, but Tractor Supply Store carries a similar shoe for $15. For ugly, comfortable shoes I know that I’ll pay the lower price every time.

41. nikkomorocco says:

@Propaniac: around here in MI i think i have seen quite a few mall kiosks/stands where they sell crocs only. i dont know if they are corporate sponsored or what, but i’ve definitely been witness to large concentrations of ugly while visiting the mall.

42. ionerox says:

@Propaniac: No, but they have thier own entire Croc kiosks.

43. rickhamilton620 says:

Thank god the fad is over, seriously. When I see people wearing them, esp. ones that clash with whatever else they are wearing, I wanna gouge my eyes out. Seriously, you decide to wear a pretty decent outfit (say a maroon t shirt and cargo shorts) but then put on bright yellow crocs?

44. weakdome says:

$50 for crocs? What are they, black market? Christ. The most I’ve ever seen them was $25.

And, I laughed – Crocs’ ticker is “CROX”

45. Youthier says:

The shoes are ugly but sad for a factory closing, even if it’s just Canadians.

And French-Canadians at that.

46. Youthier says:

@weakdome: Seriously… I’ve seen the actual Crocs (not an off-brand) sold at Walgreens. Not a mark of prestige.

47. kiwikim says:

A dumb fad from the like-to-think-they’re-cool-but they’re-not town of Boulder, Colorado.

I guessed this business didn’t have a whole lot of sense when they paid 10 million for Jibbitz-a company whose only product were buttons to put in Crocs shoes. Talk about a company with more money then they knew what to deal with…for a while. They should have been saving up for a rainy day. Jibbitz was a company started in a Boulder garage and I think it was still operating from a Boulder garage when Crocs bought it. It would take a long time to make 10 million back selling buttons for shoes.
    Crocs are good for what they were meant for-garden shoes. That’s it.

48. Mr_D says:

Looks like Crocs are rather divisive – those who’ve tried them, love them, those that haven’t hate them. Personally I have tried them, and they are some of the most comfortable shoes I’ve owned. The cheaper knockoffs aren’t as good – the plastic Crocs have is a slightly different kind than the others use.

Of course, the picture hits the real problem right on the head. Do we REALLY need every store to stock 15 pairs in various sizes at in all colors of the rainbow, Disney branded, football branded, with various styles including light sandals, hiking, boating, and more? No.

49. mammalpants says:

ill go as far as saying that crocs are the single most beautiful thing ever created in the history of the universe.

they are like 1 billion paris hiltons, 3 billion lionel richies and 10 trillion sarah jessica parkers all wrapped up in one single display of perfection.

but seriously folks, they will not go away if someone smart at crocs pursues design a little more. there are a billion options that could look and feel great. they dont have to look like that to still be comfortable and functional.

50. MeOhMy says:

@ionerox:
    There is an outlet store near me. I saw a standalone Crocs store (don’t think it was an outlet) somewhere, too. I want to say Boston…but a lot of those urban shopping areas run together after awhile.

51. legotech says:

@Neecy: Try New Balance sneaks…my feet helped get me retired from the Navy and New Balance are the only sneaks I can wear (which really really sucks, because I would SO like to wear cute shoes!) My current brand new pair of New Balance M83s were so comfy right out of the box, I haven’t had to stuff my orthotics in yet!

52. Trai_Dep says:

Damn, you’re not supposed to wear boxers as outerwear?!
    Okay, that’s it. Next time I pick up the kids at day care, I’m not bothering to switch out of my leopard-patterned man-thong. And Crocs, ‘natch.

53. gtbernstein says:

I hate to tell everyone this. Zubaz has announced their big return. With all new colors.

Scary.

54. acasto says:

All the elitist hatred for Crocs drives me crazy. Considering how long it took our feet to evolve into the current perfectly utilitarian form, and in less than 100 years humans forgot how to use them and think they’re only there to look pretty. For those of you that hate Crocs and complain about people wearing them, 1.) its a shoe, get over it, and 2.) they’re one other peoples’ feet, why do you care what other people wear on their feet?

55. rdldr1 says:

Fad over? Only if Mario Batalli says so!

Also, though I dont like Crocs, I agree with acasto. While I would never wear em, who am I to say that others shouldnt?

56. pfeng says:

Crocs are made in factories? I always thought they were pustulent fungal growths harvested from diseased trees, then thrown in a dark room until they changed colors and multiplied.

57. Trai_Dep says:

@acasto: only if it’s considered “elitist” to have a smidgeon of taste.

Well-fitted and fugly aren’t inexorably linked, btw.

58. kityglitr says:

They have more than just that one fugly style, you know. I happen to own a pair of neat, black ballet flats and a pair of tough ass mary janes that you would never in a billion years believe were Crocs.

59. MrEvil says:

@Propaniac: There’s one at the Round Rock outlet mall. I couldn’t understand why they’d have their own stores either.

I picked up a nice pair of Athletic shoes from a Red Wing store for $45, if Crocs go for MORE than that I’m not surprised that their popularity has dwindled. I have real shoes for my $50 bill.

60. lawnmowerdeth says:

But they’re supposed to be the shoes everyone wears in the future, according to Idiocracy!

61. toddiot says:

@Propaniac: I saw a store opening last summer in London, England.

62. Stanwell says:

@sleze69: You’re welcome.

63. meneye says:

they are so. bloody. ugly.

64. nsv says:

@rickhamilton620: Oh, cool, I’ll bring a teaspoon the next time I wear my Crocs so you’ll have it handy to use to gouge out your eyeballs.

They cured my plantar fasciitis. If you don’t know what that is, I hope you never find out. And I only wear my Crocs Athens sandals out of the house… most folks don’t even realize that they’re Crocs.

65. wildness says:

Thank Fracking (thank you Battlestar Galactica for the new word) God!!!!

I actually saw an FLDS woman wearing them the other day (yes, i live close enough to Colorado City to actually witness this) and said to myself “This must mean the fad is over”.

66. barty says:

@Me: Maybe so, but they aren’t worth $30-40. They’re the Monster Cable of footwear. I imagine the margin on these things is just absurd seeing what goes into them.

67. BJT says:

@kiwikim: it doesnt take that long when people are paying $6 a piece for a stupid button

68. CapitalC says:

Please god, let all Crocs wearers be chewed up by escalators.

69. A-the freak-MEN.

70. banmojo says:

crocs SUCK

71. djxspike says:

There IS a God!!

72. dirithmir says:

I like how he blames people hating crocs on global warming.
    dream on sucker.

73. casey451 says:

My god, you’d think they were Hillary Clinton! Reading Consumerist these days is like hanging out at Obamington Post. Rabid ignorance and flailing arrogance. Why can’t people do what they want and wear what they want? If you think they’re ugly, DON’T BUY THEM! This site is also controlled by fashionistas, as shallow and pointless as you can get, girls. And stilettos for the boys. Boring. Guess it’s back to Consumer Reports (from whence Consumerist steals most of its REALLY interesting material). I think the end came when page views determined paychecks, right?

74. Quilt says:

I’ve never worn a pair, so to me they’re ALLEGIDLY the most comfortable pair of shoes on Earth. Never will they touch the soles of my feet.

75. ibelli says:

C’mon, they should have know it was over when they started making clothing!

76. @CapitalC: Thanks, I’ll tell my 8 year old and 11 year old they will soon be toeless because YOU don’t like the way Crocs look. And their sneakers will get wet at the pool. Good thinking there, slick.

77. @Quilt: That’s fine – at least you’re not wishing dismemberment on those who do wear them, unlike others on this forum…

78. meretita says:

I too think Crocs are awful, ugly footwear, but they are not the only shoes getting stuck in escalators. I’ve had my shoes caught in escalator teeth twice, once with a pair of loafers from Target, the other from a pair of sneakers from Gap Kids (I have small feet). Honestly, I think escalator manufactures should be the ones to redesign their products, not the shoe companys.

79. jezebelseven says:

I made fun of my mom for purchasing a pair of these before they were the hot ticket they’d become. They looked rediculous. I never let her hear the end of it. She swore to me that they were the most comfortable things she’d ever owned, I told her it didn’t matter, they looked beyond silly, no amount of comfort was worth it.

A few weeks later I needed to run outside quickly and wanted something to cover my feet, so I slipped them on in a rush.

It was like walking on a fluffy cloud filled with rainbows and kittens. Seriously.

I held out to buy any until next summer when new styles had come out (I quite like the mary janes, just wish they didn’t have so many holes in the top), but count me in as one who was sold by wearing them just once. Now I have three pairs– and once I can track down some black mary janes in my size I’ll have a fourth!