Round 24: Toshiba vs Microsoft

This is Round 24 in our Worst Company in America contest, Toshiba vs Microsoft. Vote which sucks more, inside…

Toshiba: When commenter Buran nominated Toshiba she said it was for, “inhibiting the end of the hi-def DVD war. They can’t see when they lost and keep fighting, and are therefore inhibiting customer choice (there are movies I want that are on a dead format only).”

Microsoft: flooded the market with $400+ defective XBOX consoles, then made it very hard for customers to get the warranty repairs they deserved. Their latest operating system, Vista, comes in two flavors: one that only works if you have a super fancy computer, and one that has none of the cool advertised features.

This is a post in our Worst Company In America 2008 series. The companies nominated for this honor were chosen by you, the readers. Keep track of all the goings on at consumerist.com/tag/worst-company-in-america/

STILL OPEN FOR VOTING:

US Airways vs Washington Mutual, American Airlines vs Blockbuster, Time Warner Cable vs Radioshack, Wellpoint vs Charter Cable, Dell vs Home Depot,
Sears vs Citibank, Wal-Mart vs TJMaxx, Mattel vs ATT, Capital One vs Video Professor, eBay/Paypal vs COX, Apple vs SallieMae, Diebold Vs Pfizer, MTV vs TransUnion, CompUSA vs DirecTV
Target vs Best Buy
Allstate vs Verizon,
DeBeers vs 1800 flowers, Starbucks vs United Airlines,
Exxon vs Crocs, Google Vs Sony, Ticketmaster vs Wachovia, Facebook vs The American Arbitration Association, Comcast vs Menu Foods

Comments

1. NightSteel says:

Jeez. No contest. Anyone who votes Toshiba has never used a computer for anything beyond browsing that thar Internets.

2. sharki3232 says:

The problme with Toshiba is that never really got behind HD DVD. The put HD DVD on the market and seemed to adopt an attitude of “If we build, they will come”.

HD DVD could have won the format war if Toshiba had promoted it better and been quicker about integrating it with the Xbox 360. Instead they seemed content to let the format die a quick but painful death.

3. char says:

While MS has improved the 360 repairs division substantially, no company that drops a $350 dollar fail box for two years gets off scott free.

4. B says:

I like how we have both the major HD-DVD players going up against eachother. Toshiba doesn’t stand a chance in this matchup, though.

5. EyeHeartPie says:

No offense to the person who nominated Toshiba, but I appreciate their holding on to HD-DVD as long as they did. Don’t want to start a format discussion here, but I made an informed decision based to cost-benefits to pick HD, and appreciate Toshiba trying to win (albeit too late to actually do anything useful).

6. joebobfunguy says:

Don’t forget, Microsoft is going to take Yahoo away from us. Do they really want google to be the only search people use?

7. John Whorfin says:

MS’s proprietary formats and poor OS are why I voted.

More people use PCs than hi-def equipment.

XP is wonderful when compared to Vista’s clunky, confusing interface.

8. octoSink says:

I have both, but since everytime I play a videogame in the back of my head is a “please don’t die”, I vote Microsoft.

9. Wormfather says:

I have a toshiba laptop with windows on it.

I’m so confused.

10. PunditGuy says:

Toshiba released the more “baked” hi-def solution, then failed to market it properly. (I’ve got a combo player now, so I know both formats.) This shouldn’t qualify them for “worst” company as much as maybe “inept.”

I’m a longtime user of Microsoft’s stuff, and there have been good times (XP) and bad (ME). My 360 has been running just fine since 3 months after launch, so no complaints from me in that department — and Xbox Live is vastly superior to the competition.

Don’t get me wrong, they’ve definitely got problems (and perhaps a touch of evil). I just don’t think they’re much worse than any other large corporation.

Microsoft definitely deserves to win this round, but I’m not sure they’ll survive the second. I’d pick any credit card company over MS.

11. boandmichele says:

@Wormfather: its okay. switch to ubuntu and problem solved. :) oh, and vote for microsoft

12. xint says:

Toshiba’s hardware issues and support service incompetence is no match to M!cros0ft’s complete detachment from reality…

13. artki says:

Toshiba. Illegally sold highly sophisticated machine tools to the Soviets during the cold war that were used to mill quieter ballistic missile submarine propellers.

I gripe a LOT about Microsoft but they never contributed to helping me become a vapor cloud…

14. Buran says:

15. Blinkman says:

Well, commenter Buran is an idiot. They were out just a few months after WB sided with BR due to a larger amount of BR discs sold out of the WB catalog.

“Inhibiting the high def war” my ass. If they wanted to nominate Toshiba for increased support of Nuclear power, that would be one thing, but man, the reasoning that Buran said is just retarded. Probably some idiot Bluballs fanboy.

16. kantwait says:

Microsoft, hands down. This one isn’t even fair.

17. @artki: Volkswagen made jeeps for the Nazis. Toyota made trucks for the imperial Japanese army. Those “Zero” fighters? Proudly made by Misubishi. I’m sure Nintendo, Bosch, Siemens, Nissan, and many other companies got war contracts for our former enemies as well. So did Ford, until FDR put the kibosh on that. What’s your point?

18. Ausoleil says:

Microsoft. Because they are Microsoft. But also because they supported HD-DVD too.

19. Guizzy says:

Microsoft in this case; I can’t really fault Toshiba for trying their hand at something, and Microsoft made Windows. No contest.

20. randombob says:

@Wormfather:
    LOL.

21. artki says:

reply to Steaming Pile…

My point is that the Japanese were on OUR SIDE during the cold war and this company (toshiba) sold us out.

Yes, Toyota made trucks for the Japanese army. They’re a Japanese company! Don’t you see the difference? It’s the difference between fighting a war on the wrong side, losing and reconcilement and selling out your allies.

22. wolfjoat says:

Definitely no contest. Microsoft all the way.

23. azntg says:

@wolfjoat: Agreed

24. CharlieInSeattle says:

Anyone that voted Toshiba doesn’t use a computer that runs an MS OS or has worked for MS as a contractor.

25. JeffMc says:

Toshiba because my 360 works but the 62 inch TV I bought less than 2 years ago doesn’t. And even though I’m willing to cough up the $700+ to fix it it’s been 3 months now and the parts still aren’t available.

Screw you Toshiba.

26. Buran says:

@Steaming Pile: That’s true enough — I know someone who refuses to buy German cars because he’s Jewish. I asked how long one can hold a grudge, and pointed out that the people who run, say, VW, today are not the ones who ran it back then — and also that back then, that’s how it was everywhere in Germany. Commerce is worldwide now.

When Hitler envisioned his inexpensive reliable “people’s car”, he thought that it would enable Germans to travel and enjoy a higher standard of living than they had in the past, especially after the inter-war years when morale was poor.

Instead, not a single KdF-Wagen was distributed under the coupon-book savings scheme … but the Beetle, as it was later known, became a well-loved icon of the “hippie age”.

In the United States. Not in Germany.

Whodathunkit?

But that’s the funny way the world works.

(this is NOT a Godwin attempt; please do not take it as one)

27. t0fu says:

Toshiba has many more faults than simply fighting for their dead format.

MS has their faults as well but they know when to quit and when to buy out.

28. strangeffect says:

I appreciate the pain-in-the-ass that is a format war…

but have you SEEN Vista? The only reason I can tolerate it at all is because of Lifehacker.

AND THAT’S HOW YOU CROSS-SELL!

29. Ex_EA_Slave says:

Toshiba is bad and so is MS. I voted for MS because they didn’t integrate the HD players into the 360, like how Sony had BR built into the PS3. This fact is why BR won and MS are bastards.

30. Gridneo says:

O comeon. I’m not a MS fanboy by any means, but who hasn’t been in the midst of the BS HD-DVD stuff? I wouldn’t buy Xbox360 if you gave me the cash for one. You guys have your Halo, I’ll keep my PC games.

31. strangeffect says:

@Gridneo: Digital audio tape, my butt!

32. Lambasted says:

This is a no-brainer. Microsoft is the evil empire of software. I hate them with a passion. Forcing Vista on consumers is unforgivable. Then, instead of extending XP until Vista is fixed, they tuck tail and run to Windows 7–which will likely have a couple of year’s worth of glitches after it is released.

And umm…I guess that means Vista isn’t going to get any better because all R&D will be reserved for Windows 7. Gee thanks Microsoft for making people buy a product even its own company doesn’t stand behind.

I am sick of the Microsoft merry-go-round of operating systems and I am not playing anymore. We didn’t need a whole new rickety operating system for pretty Aero icons. Sell that crap as a add-on package and leave the rest of us the hell alone. When the time comes when I can no longer use XP, I am buying a MAC. I never had an interest in MACs until Vista. But Microsoft can only anal probe a consumer for so long. Enough is enough.

Microsoft is king of the pointless upgrades in order to turn a buck. But forcing a substandard product on people for a buck…well, they have now gone too far.

Microsoft can kiss my ass.

33. socritic says:

Why is this not on the mainpage? why do i have to click on the link to vote? is microsoft padding the consumerist pocket?

34. Buran says:

@Blinkman: I’m not an idiot just because you disagree with me.

35. Part-Time-Viking says:

This just isn’t fair…

Despite the flop that was HD DVD, Toshiba still makes some of the most reliable electronics on the market while still being affordable. I tell customers all the time “Same high quality standards as the top of the line, but without paying more for the name”.

36. Bladefist says:

@Blinkman: I kinda agree with you. There is nothing wrong w/ competition, and I See no reason why toshiba should have had to get out. Buran probably wanted the government to come in, and dictate which format we use. And since not everyone can afford 1080i, make a maximum resolution of 540, so that we can all have equal quality resolution.

37. chrylis says:

As far as this debate goes… Toshiba didn’t bribe national standards bodies to get HD-DVD declared an ISO standard…

38. bohemian says:

Microsoft and not only their forced obsolescence of operating systems but trying to force you to buy new peripherals on top of it.

MS trying to force people into using Vista is really the last straw. If they succeed on pushing XP out of use I will go back to using Mac.

39. Buran says:

@Bladefist-미국사람: No, I didn’t. I nominated them because even after it was clear a winner had come out, Toshiba kept on dragging its feet, drawing out the conclusion of the “war”. Part of good behavior is knowing when to admit you’re wrong and step aside.

Wherever did you get government intervention from my nomination!?

40. warf0x0r says:

the xobx 360 is the worst console ever. Some of the best games, but worst console. I’m including the sega 32x in this also!

41. Bladefist says:

@Buran: It was half sarcasm. I read a lot of your comments, and I took a political shot at you. All in good fun of course

42. jeff303 says:

@chrylis: Shhh – we have to save a few arguments for the semifinals!

43. Blinkman says:

@Buran: You said: “Ouch. I wound up voting against my own submission. Microsoft is even worse with regards to inhibiting choice.”

But Toshiba was a bad company for inhibiting one brand to win? Huh? So do you want choice, or do you want it made for you? WB announced they were Blu exclusive on Jan 4th. Toshiba announced the death of HD DVD on Feb 19th. That’s what, 6 weeks? Atonement was the last HDDVD disc I can recall being released, and that was March 18th, one month after the announcement that Toshiba would discontinue the format.

Toshiba provided what they believed would be best for them and their relationship with consumers. Sony/Matsushita did their format. One won, and it was less than 2 years (April 06 and June 06) that the war was decided and over.

So, how did Toshiba keep fighting when they lost? I don’t understand. Maybe in your brain it makes sense, but if you look at the dates, everything seems reasonable. 6 weeks to announce the death of the format, and another 1 month until the last disc was released? Is that unreasonable for a giant company? Formerly exclusive HD discs are already getting street dates, like Batman Begins.

So, how do you argue your “opinion” again? Lewl GSO.

44. yagisencho says:

The arguments used in nominating each of these companies are a little flawed.

Toshiba lost the HD optical format war, but placing all the blame on the loser and none on the victor is revisionist at best. Sony and Toshiba should have worked it all out together long before products hit the market. It’s also notable that the HD-DVD format was complete on delivery while Blu-Ray now has multiple, incompatible formats.

The defective XBOX 360 console comment definitely sticks, but ‘very hard for customers to get warranty repairs’? I’m personally grateful that the warranty was extended to 3 years. Especially since my system went t.u. after a year. The repair process was fairly painless though, and I had a working system within a month.

Vista is available in 4 flavors (not counting retail vs oem vs upgrade vs full). You don’t need a ‘super-fancy’ computer to run any of them, though something built within the past two years will certainly do a better job than a machine built with Windows XP in mind.

45. Buran says:

@Blinkman: 6 weeks is an eternity to some, especially in the electronics business. It struck me as footdragging. I recognize that different people have opinions. Nothing wrong with that.

What I take offense at is being called an idiot, a retard (that’s about as far from the truth as you can get) and similar derogatory terms just for having an opinion and daring to make a nomination.

I think some of the other nominations are silly (my opinion, mind) but I don’t insult others for making the nominations. It’s uncalled for.

46. Kanti_V2 says:

@Bladefist-미국사람: I see by your avatar, that you’re an idiot, so I’ll make this simple. There IS something wrong with competition if it inhibits a larger market.

In a broader sense this why the rest of your comment was drivel, because the whole reason of regulating a market with legislation is because private companies are too stupid and/or short sighted to take anything into consideration other than their own profit, which hurts the larger economy. Luckily Toshiba bowed out, as they very well should have (too bad for you HD-DVD fanboys, it was an inferior product), but if they hadn’t, then some extra-market regulatory force should have come in to stop them, lest the entire HD market suffer for the greed of one small group. This is why government regulated economies thrive (the EU, China, India, and the US before that piece of shit Reagan), and why economies that don’t, fall into decay (such as the US now, and any third world country on the planet).

The rest of your comment just made no sense, and sounded like the same libertarian shite that I hear spewed out every morning by the crazy homeless guy at the train station, the one who keeps trying to eat his own face.

Isn’t flaming fun? :)

47. Trai_Dep says:

Yay for Microsoft, because they make me drop to the ground and lovingly, licentiously french-kiss the ground every morning in gratitude that I’m not using a WinTel box. Even if it does make me cough up hairballs until lunch.
    No, wait. I guess that’s a vote for Microsoft after all.

Err, they graciously kept their OS open to malicious hacks and viruses to generously allow Norton to become a $billion-company?
    No, wait. That doesn’t work either.

Okay: they own Bungie.
    No, wait. Bungie’s leaving them in a righteous huff.

Zune!
    No, wait. That really doesn’t work.

Damn it.
    DAMN it.
    Damn it!

(cough) As you were.

48. WraithSama says:

@Lambasted:
    “Microsoft can kiss my ass.”

Amen, brother.

Aside from hawking their latest steaming pile of crap known as Vista, I have another reason for hating Microsoft: buying up all my favorite game developers and ruining my favorite game IPs. I was pissed off when they bought FASA Corporation (ruining the Shadowrun IP in video game format and eventually killing off MechWarrior). I was very pissed off when they bought out Bungie (thus killing the Myth series, one of my favorite RTS IPs ever, now that Bungie no longer owns the IP).

Now they want to buy Yahoo, buy a stake in Facebook… I even found an article amusingly declaring that “Microsoft Buys Evil From Satan”. Whenever Microsoft sees money in a niche they haven’t dominated yet, their knee-jerk reaction is to simply buy the company that currently holds the leader spot. It may make good business sense, in truth, but that’s what makes Microsoft the company we love to hate.

49. Prosumerist says:

Amazing how people still need a ‘good vs. evil’ analogy as an anchor to reality. Cowboys & Indians, USA vs. USSR, Red vs. Blue.

50. I can’t believe this is even a contest. Toshiba may make so-so electronics (though I have a Toshiba HDTV and a Toshiba laptop and have had zero problems with each), but Microsoft is the epitome of corporate stupidity.

Exhibit A: Vista.

The prosecution rests.

51. Blinkman says:

@Buran: I guess next time you’re at the helm of a company with revenues 50+ billion a year and you have to make an announcement that you lost a licensing deal and you’re going to lose nearly 1 billion USD, you should just go with whatever feels right (gotta follow your heart!) and make an announcement the next day instead of looking at alternate options for your format. How’d you like that if you were a Toshiba investor? Again, I stand by every name I called you.

Anyway, they’re both faceless corporations, but I’d support Toshiba over Sony any day of the week, and I’m a PS3 owner. As far as the Russia/Japan/US incident, I’m going to look into the specifics of that incident further, but I’m of the opinion that an independent company owes nothing to a foreign government. Without that technology, many Russian lives were put at jeopardy! Now, US lives are in jeopardy! Whose lives are worth more!?

52. WraithSama says:

@Blinkman:
    Your juvenile attitude robs your argument of any merit. Stop with the ad hominem attacks on Buran. She has a valid point that differs from yours; get over it.

The “GSO” statement at the end of your post was most inappropriate. Grow up.

53. CornwallBlank says:

Dirty little secret: the overwhelming majority of the spam generated, sent and received on the Internet today comes from compromised Windows systems. Anyone who knows how to enable passive OS fingerprinting on their mail servers has been aware of this for years.

54. Buran says:

@Blinkman: Then I retract my benefit of the doubt that I gave you and I’ve changed my mind and I think you’re an asshole who doesn’t give a shit about insulting other people who have committed no wrong other than disagreed with you.

Yes, I think they should have acted sooner. They had plenty of time to see the writing on the wall and didn’t give a shit about the public.

I’m not going to argue with you anymore on this. You care more about “winning” by putting down others than you do about having a civil discussion.

55. Buran says:

@WraithSama: Thanks for the support!

56. Buran says:

@Buran: … ahem. … restatement.

I think you don’t give a shit about the feelings of other people who haven’t done anything wrong, and disagreeing with you is not doing something wrong.

57. aka Cat says:

I had a Toshiba laptop that broke. (Though it only cost $50 to fix. My own labor, of course.)

I’ve got a new, but far from top-of-the-line laptop that runs Vista with all the features with no problem.

I still voted for Microsoft.

58. k6richar says:

So the only thing wrong Toshiba did was try to keep their product from failing.
    The only thing Microsoft did right was …. wait, did they do anything right?

59. jeremybwilson says:

My Xbox 360 console won’t see/share files with my two Windows XP (SP2) machines. No way in hell I’m paying money for Windows Media Center. Knock on wood, I haven’t yet experienced the RRoD on my Costco-purchased Xbox 360. $500 in upgrade parts to make my primary gaming box (which I thought was smoking-fast for my needs already) Vista compatible. Meh!

60. ElizabethD says:

Tra la la, I love my Macintosh and its nifty OS.

61. Blinkman says:

@WraithSama: Did you just attack my ad hominem with an ad hominem?

Wow.

62. Blinkman says:

Let’s also not forget- there are no victims here. Consumers purchased these goods knowing that their format might be the one to fall. Apparently, no one ever heard to postpone a decision if you can gain more information through waiting and waiting costs you nothing.

Myself, I purchased both because the HD player was nearly free after all the movies I got, most of which I would’ve bought anyway. Those HD DVDs didn’t give me a rootkit either!

63. Blinkman says:

@ElizabethD: Did you get one of those nifty screens that they’re getting sued over for misrepresentation, too?
    Apple is just as terrible. Any company that sells $600 worth of parts for $1200 just to put it in a white case isn’t anything worth supporting.

64. Buran says:

@Bladefist-미국사람: Ah, in that case, all is cool.

65. k6richar says:

To everyone complaining about Microsoft;
    Best way to let them know is to stop using Microsoft products. I suggest you go to http://www.ubuntu.com. It is free to download, you can run it off the CD to see if you like it before installing it.

66. ParadeDC says:

I never really had a problem with any of my Microsoft products. I have a launch 360, I have a Zune, and I run Vista and never had a problem with any of it. I’m sure many of you that are voting for MS don’t really have a real reason besides that you like to kiss Steve Job’s asshole.

67. Angryrider says:

Hmm… I don’t really care that much about Microsoft, except that they pratically control everything…

Toshiba, I never really liked their products… I had a TV, and the bloody crapped out on me…

68. bigmac12 says:

I bought a Toshiba 3.1 megapixel high end camera a few years ago. Took great daylight pics but when taking a pic at night or needing the built in flash the pic would always be out of focus. It seems that the camera used light from the subject to auto-focus and there was none. Toshiba’s quick-fix for this was to use a flashlight on the subject so the camera could focus before setting off the flash and taking the pic. I’d love to smack the engineer, up side the head, who designed this sucky camera. I won’r buy any Toshiba product now.

69. hi says:

@NightSteel: I voted toshiba and I have used a computer for many other things.

Let me just shill out.

My friend bought a 360 that needed repair and microsoft sent him a box to mail it to them. After a week he got a brand new Xbox 360 sent to him.

I have a zune and it works fine for me. and… ubuntu sux. :) cya!

70. PunditGuy says:

@jeremybwilson

You don’t need Windows Media Center.

[tversity.com]

I stream to my 360, my iPod Touch and my MythTV box without DRM headaches.

71. PunditGuy says:

Whoops — someone get rid of that image for me… I’m not a shill, really.

72. jeremybwilson says:

@ ParadeDC: I don’t own a Mac, never have, but thanks…

Question: Do you kiss your mother with those lips?

73. PunditGuy says:

Thank you for deleting that post — ’twas a mistake.

Anyway,

@jeremybwilson:

You don’t need Windows Media Center. Check out TVersity. Streams to 360s and other devices as well.

74. Munsoned says:

@Blinkman: Calling Buran “some idiot Bluballs fanboy”? Are you serious? You haven’t been here long have you? From the look of your profile, apparently not. You, sir, are a douchebag.

75. Timelock says:

I vote Toshiba because of the the horrible quality of the laptop I purchased from them a few years ago.

I had to send the laptop in about 4 times for repairs. The first time was for a really loose monitor that would fall over if you even so much as breathed on it.Then the 2nd and 3rd times were for a failed hard drive.

Toshiba thought it would be nice to just ship the laptop back with the failed drive still in there, so when I got the laptop back, I pretty much sent it right back to them.

The 4th time was for several dead pixels on the screen, and the monitoring coming loose again. I wasn’t constantly opening and closing the laptop either. It was just coming loose from normal wear.

As for Microsoft, I’ve have one 360 that red ringed, but that was replaced with one that worked, so at least their warranty works.

76. elephantattack says:

Who fought on what side during whatever war aside let’s look at what’s going on with these companies right now.

Toshiba – created a losing format.

Microsoft – created an operating system that is inferior to their own, “outdated” operating system.
    They released a console that they have publicly stated will not support the blu-ray standard, only the outmoded HD-DVD standard. In addition, this console has major design flaws such as RROD. To make this worse, the unit costs in the 300-400 dollar range, is hard to get repaired and can even be DoA.

I’m really surprised that more people haven’t switched to mac.

77. urban_ninjya says:

Wait.. isn’t Toshiba a foreign company?

How does that qualify to be Worst Company in America?

78. jeremybwilson says:

@PunditGuy: Thanks, I’ll definitely check it out.

79. bjarmson says:

I was beginning to wonder if Microsoft had been retired to the Worst Companies Hall of Fame. Then here they are. Has Microsoft ever released a product that wasn’t still in the beta stage of development? They’ve used the general public as a cash-cow for 25 years while constantly releasing products unready for use. They’ve become a fabulously wealthy monopoly doing this and have absolutely no motive to change (either sales-wise or legally). If they had invented (er stolen) HD-DVD, it would have won and then wouldn’t have worked right for 5 years. And they would have made a gazillion dollars off it.

80. Microsoft=monopoly, Vista was phoned in and world will be stuck with it

Toshiba=loser in DVD war but wasn’t half-assing it, Blu-ray switch for HD-DVD is [seemingly] less scary and more doable than going Mac or Linux. I almost feel bad for them this year [almost]. Also, Not MIcrosoft.

81. vatica40 says:

I realize you need to throw in some neutral seeds to fill stuff out, but thats a lame reason to include Toshiba. Really lame. It shouldn’t even be taken into account. They invested in something, why shouldn’t they try with every breath to get money out of it? As a matter of fact, I think giving up -sooner- would have made them a more irresponsible company.

And sure, nukes, Russians, whatever… I don’t see Mitsubishi or Volkswagon topping off any lists.

Microsoft takes the cake just because they’re discontinuing XP sales in June.

@Munsoned: Did you just really try to counter him with a version of “his post count is higher than yours, this board is for cool kids only”? Really? Don’t make this site one of ‘those’ sites. The stars are bad enough.

82. ShadowFalls says:

@urban_ninjya:

Because Toshiba markets the majority of their products in America and they have a a physical presence in it

83. TonyTriple says:

C’mon Consumerist, you put Apple up against evil ass SallieMae then put Microsoft up against benign Toshiba. I just saying that you guys should work on balancing the combatants..

84. Buran says:

@Munsoned: I don’t even know what Bluballs is/are/was. :p

85. 3drage says:

I see it’s still popular to senselessly hate on Microsoft.

86. Munsoned says:

@vatica40: No, my real point is that he obviously has no idea how long Buran has been on this site, and how often she contributes to threads (I would guess offhand that she contributes on a nearly-daily basis) to make such a stupid “corporate shill” attack against her. I personally like having new people on this site–it certainly keeps things fresh. Anyone that’s been on this site for more than a few weeks would probably notice that Buran is not a corporate shill.

87. Blinkman says:

@vatica40: Yes, Munsoned did, no matter how the above post tries to qualify it. I guess I’ll launch in about how long I’ve been frequenting “the internet,” or maybe I won’t because it doesn’t matter.

I don’t care how long someone has been on a site. I like how you cannonize my attack as a “corporate shill” attack, when I’m addressing the following points and it was more of a “fanboy” attack anyway.

Toshiba spent no more than 6 weeks annoncing the death of a product that they spent hundreds of millions of dollars on and lost 1 billion dollars on.

Does Buran expect them to announce the death of the format the next day? Is that even good for the consumer, to abandon a product consumers bought as soon as rough waters start? Should they have immediately called it quits, leaving 1 million HD DVD adopters “holding the bag,” or should they have spent the timre required to see what they could do post-WB leaving the fold? Leaving 1 million consumers high and dry without considering options doesn’t seem very consumer-friendly.

They’re a bad company for spending 6 weeks calculating their options for something that was nearly a decade in development and almost 2 years in production?

And then they talk about consumer choice? Toshiba is a bad company for providing choice and competition in the marketplace? Uhh….

Wow.

88. SegamanXero says:

dont forget that when microsoft first launched the 360, that every one of their systems could not pass the hardware test enabled to prevent defective 360s from leaving the plant…
    What did MS do, they decided to not do the tests that gave off failure warnings… which was all of them, and instead pop a game inside the system and if it booted, box the thing and ship it to stores…
    now thats what i call quality!
    for those who want source of the info im talking about click the link below…
    [kotaku.com]

89. gig says:

I can’t stand Microsoft for so many reasons which have been stated by others so I won’t repeat them. I had a computer built recently and the tech was smart enough to get me XP so I don’t have to deal with Vista which I hear is horrible.

Toshiba on the other hand I really like. I have a 15 year old big tube TV that is so outdated but has the same pretty picture it did when new. I still remember how mad the sales guy was that I didn’t get the extended warranty. It has been 15 years and I have not had one single problem.

90. Umisaurus says:

Seeing that my 360 just RROD’d yesterday morning, Microsoft just got that much less appealing. (Not that it was appealing to begin with, mind you, but still…)

91. sporks says:

I’m using Vista on a Toshiba. Guess which one I love more? If you guessed Toshiba, you are indeed correct.

92. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

I voted for MS, but Toshiba’s laptops are flaming piles of poo.

93. Toshiba, cause that poor guy and his lost movies… Made me feel saddened. Go Bit Torrent dude

94. CyberSkull says:

I think M$ is certainly the greater, if not greatest evil. Toshiba was merely trying to hold onto their product line. M$ put out poorly made products and refused to service them. At least HD-DVD worked!

95. i love my Toshiba laptop.
    second laptop i’ve owned.
    my first (HP) had numerous issues, bad CD drive, several bad batteries, a failed hard drive, and it finally died with bad RAM and a bad AC port. (best buy was great, they junked it out an d allowed me to buy my new laptop, 2x as powerful, for almost nothing. yes, i had a PSP)
    the toshiba’s been great for me- absolutely no problems, outside of…. windows issues!

on another note, why am i having so many issues with the gawker media empire websites after updating to latest firefox?

96. ninjatales says:

Microsoft. For prolonging the HD DVD wars by supporting Toshiba.

97. UdayRaj says:

Microsoft. For prolonging the HD DVD wars

98. radio1 says:

That’s not even a fair fight!

Redmond FTW!

99. JustaConsumer says:

Microsoft should get a bye and go directly to the finals. They have to be the number 1 seed.

100. hmmm.. company that is fighting for their product to be survive vs. company which is fighting to have their product be THE ONLY PRODUCT. I wonder…

101. taka2k7 says:

I voted for Toshiba since they gave Hillary the idea about prolonging the pain.

102. Vortaine says:

Toshiba. Hands down. I write this and I am on a Toshiba with Vista on it.

It sucks. Seriously. The volume control is a reason alone not to buy this damn thing (remember old cd players, with the little black knob? It has this at the most inconvenient place. Seriously) Mind you this wouldn’t be the only reason, but also take into account that other comparable laptops are much higher quality.

I have this laptop (Vista) my beast of a desktop (HP, Vista), and a x360.

The fact that yes, my 360 did flop not too long ago, the only thing I lost was time on it, since it was an extremely painless process (mind you time=money), but Xbox Live being as robust as it is, it more than makes up for it. If you want to play games, the 360 and windows are the only ways to do it, short of flash games online.

Gaming aside, since I understand not everyone uses their computers for it, I have had no problems with compatibility,and I’ve had Vista a few months short of a year on my laptop. I’m actually impressed with it.

Mind you, I’m also a student, so I have to use the various word processing programs (Word07, atm). It does seem like it lacks polish, on occasion, but its not nearly enough to make me want a Mac. :/

103. psycoking says:

The HD-DVD issue wasn’t Toshiba’s fault. The studios decided to go with Blu-Ray, so Blu-Ray one. At least Toshiba had the decency to bow rather than try and prolong the war with the few studios that still supported HD-DVD.

As for Microsoft: Broken XBoxes; prolonging/supporting the HD disc war so they could get more time to let their digital download service mature; releasing Vista prematurely; multiple/confusing and overpriced Vista SKUs; removing XP from the market because people weren’t buying Vista; Zune not supporting Microsoft’s own Plays for Sure standard; DRM and Activation schemes that treat paying customers like criminals. I could go on, but I think thats enough to make my case.