Canada May Become First Country To Classify BPA Toxic

Canada is about to become the first country to declare bisphenol-a (BPA)—used in baby bottles, drink containers, and as a liner in cans—a toxic chemical, reports the New York Times. An anonymous source has said that the work by Canada’s chemical review program to list BPA as a toxic chemical “was complete and was recently endorsed by a panel of outside scientists.” The announcement is expected any time between today and the end of May.

In the U.S., the current status of BPA is “needs more research,” The American Chemistry Council says research proves “there are no serious or high-level concerns for adverse effects of bisphenol-a on human reproduction and development,” but we don’t trust any organization that has “American” and “Council” in their name.

ToastyKen)

Comments

1. BloggyMcBlogBlog says:

Bisphenol-A is the starting material for polycarbonate platic. The most common tradename for it is Lexan.

2. dollywould says:

Oh wow, weird timing. Over the weekend I just replaced all of my polycarbonate Nalgene bottles with hdpe Nalgenes. I’d been reading up on the B.P.A. issues and decided it’s better to be safe than sorry, plus hdpe bottles are half the price of the polycarbonates.

3. I’ve been considering getting rid of my Nalgene bottles, but I love them oh so much…

4. Bummer how plastics are so useful and yet some of the crap leeching out of it can be nasty on our bodies long term. You have to wonder about some of the chemicals that are so pervasive in our bodies/environments these days.

Or maybe we should just accept the fact it’s pushing forward our evolution as humans heheh.

5. And oh yeah I forgot to add.. why not just bust out the boobies more often and do MAMA NATURE styylllllllllle?

:D

6. MerylBurbank says:

I once thought my thriftyness knew no bounds, but indeed it ends at ugly water bottles. The hdpe nalgene bottles aren’t nearly as cute as the polycarbonate ones. I have a Sigg bottle, and I will probably replace my poly bottles with another Sigg. It’s still cheaper and smarter and better for the planet than bottled water, right?

7. DeepFriar says:

@BloggyMcBlogBlog: super. now I have to switch out every Dr. Brown’s Bottle I’ve been using for my infant.
    shit

8. queenofdenial says:

Ok, so what all should I be throwing away? What is this BPA stuff in besides baby bottles and drink containers? Is it in my Tupperware? How about my free coffee mug from Wells Fargo? Come on, I know there are plenty of “experts” out there… :)

9. marsneedsrabbits says:

@heidiho:

Thanks for the tip. I’ve been following this issue for the last 2 years or so.
    I’m going to go look into the Nalgene HDPE. I got rid of all of my BPA plastics, and replaced them with stainless steel or non-BPAs.
    Now I’m looking at replacing all of the rest of my kitchen plastics with glass. The Asian market sells glass fridge food storage with clear silicone gaskets so you get a tight fit. They are from Japan and look like a good idea to me.
    I’ll probably keep my non-BPA plastics that are used for dry ingredients like flour.
    BTW: Camelbak makes a non-BPA “traditional” clear shatterproof bottle in pretty colors. It’s called the Better Bottle, but I haven’t found one yet – I’ve only seen them online.

10. marsneedsrabbits says:

@queenofdenial:

There is a mom’s website called ZRecs that has a large database of BPA & BPA-free stuff.
    Here is the Tupperware report: [zrecs.blogspot.com]
    And here is the “main BPA results page” which you may have to sort through for specifics:[zrecs.blogspot.com]

11. Islandkiwi says:

Playtex Drop-ins are BPA free and our baby likes them. Glass bottles make me nervous, she’s getting more grabby.

12. Juliekins says:

BPA is also in canned goods–the lining for most “tin” cans contains BPA. The only brand I am aware of that does not use BPA in its cans is Eden Organic.

I ordered a Kleen Kanteen bottle after reading about Nalgene’s involvement in animal testing. The BPA thing is yet another reason to send my Nalgenes to the recycle bin in the sky. It’s too bad, too, because I liked them.

13. Claystil says:

If you read up on the research, you’ll see there’s not much to these claims outside of exaggerated paranoia. It’s not safe for babies, and that’s fine, but as an adult, if you keep your plastic away from extreme temperatures, and wash it with a sponge, you’ll be fine.

14. Juliekins says:

@Claystil: Yeah, but my Nalgenes have spent some quality time in the dishwasher. Oops. I’m probably going to sprout an extra head made of polycarbonate soon.

15. CityGuySailing says:

BPA scare studies = Junk Science.

16. theirishscion says:

@marsneedsrabbits: Oh oh oh, yes, the Camelbak Better Bottle, we have two, they absolutely rock. I didn’t realize they were BPA free though, that’s just another plus. They’re worth every penny they cost (~$15 I paid each, from Sun and Ski Sports in Houston) just as really really good water bottles.

Ok, sorry, I’m done gushing now.

17. spinachdip says:

We’re extremely happy with the Born Free bottle, not just because it’s BPA-free, but because the baby manages to get water out of it;
    [www.amazon.com]

18. Claystil says:

@FitJulie: Oops. The Kleen Kanteen should last longer anyway, right?

19. 1SQ says:

It’s the dose that makes the poison. The (uncertain) finding that BPA has toxic effects at low doses does not imply that products made with BPA are dangerous. We also need to know the rate at which it leaches from containers, how much of the consumed BPA is absorbed by the body, the biological half-life once absorbed, and the threshold for toxicity.

Throwing out all your polycarbonates is cautious, of course, but it’s probably too early to panic.

20. Scazza says:

Up here in Canada, places like Canadian Tire, The Bay and many sporting goods stores are tossing their BPA based drinking containers, even before the announcement/decision as to whether it will be banned or not.

21. Scazza says:

@1SQ: The studies that sparked the debate on BPA banning in Canada showed that even trace amounts leeched over time became toxic. Also many BPA based plastics leech more over time and the build up in the body is what is leading to the scare.

The dose may be incredibly low, but its not something that is flushed out of your system, and eventually builds up to the point that it might cause problems. Its much worse in young children too.

22. elislider says:

very awesome timing! in my environmental chemistry class we’re doing a group presentation about exactly this on monday. thanks

23. Claystil says:

@Scazza: BPA’s halflife in the human body is approx. 6 hours. It’s common to find high levels in people living in developed nations not because it builds up over time but because it’s common plastics, cosmetics, drinking water, food containers and a variety of other mediums. That said, decreasing your intake is very easy without throwing away perfectly good plastic water bottles and food storage containers.

24. fjordtjie says:

does anyone else see the irony in using the nalgene bottles to help protect the environment, having a ton of people buy them, then having a ton of people dump them in the trash?

do not confuse this with me finding this funny, which I DO NOT.

25. DuncanBleak says:

@FitJulie: I have been using the Kleen Kanteen bottles for a few months, they are 18/8 stainless steel and work very well. I bought the 27oz size.

26. ironchef says:

The leeching is negligible at room temperature. Boiling water makes it 55 times higher.

[www.theglobeandmail.com]

27. ahwannabe says:

@fjordtjie: I dunno, but the paranoid part of me wonders if this is just a sneaky way of getting us to discard our “permanent” containers and buy more stuff.

Seriously, they use Nalgene to make beakers and test tubes. Wouldn’t all the scientists using them have noticed their stuff getting contaminated?

28. ChuckECheese says:

@queenofdenial: You can identify the offending plastics by the triangle with a 7 in the center of it, usually on the bottom of the container. 7 actually means “other plastic not identified,” but polycarb doesn’t get its own resin category.

It’s nothing but vinyl for me from now on.

29. ChuckECheese says:

@queenofdenial: The currently offending plastic is identified with that triangle-y arrow thingy with a 7 in the center. The 7 actually means “other plastic.” Polycarbonate doesn’t rate having its own resin ID. Bisphenol isn’t the only offending substance; most any flexy plastic has substances in it that can turn your boys into girls. It’s nothing but vinyl for me from now on.

p.s. Soon you’ll be able to identify a Canadian by their glass cuts.

30. Topcat says:

Ugh, the second that I start worrying about whether I’m getting bisphenol A from my water bottle someone can shoot me…I’d be dead inside already.

31. Claystil says:

@Topcat: exactly.

32. Mr. Gunn says:

It’s not three words, it’s just one. If you want to abbreviate it, call it BPA. Otherwise people might think you don’t know what you’re talking about, and we all know that’s most certainly,/i> not the case, right? No way does the Consumerist have a history of posting scare stories about teh evil chemicals.

33. Chris Walters says:

@Mr. Gunn: That’ll teach me to copy the New York Times’ editorial guidelines. We normally don’t abbreviate it as B.P.A., and if I’d thought about it, it would have been self-evident that it’s incorrect. Well, at least the abbreviation was correct in the post itself (although I keep seeing bisphenol-a and bisphenol-A depending on the news source).
    Anyway, thanks for the correction. You can go back to hatin’ on us now.

34. queenofdenial says:

@ChuckECheese:
    I guess I can keep usin… I only have girls not boys.

35. ajsmommy says:

Funny, San Francisco banned the use of bpa, i believe it was last year, and it was also banned in the UK in 2006!!!! Also bottles and sippy cups aren’t the only things made with bpa, pacifiers, breast pumps, tupperware, water bottles and things that we use everyday are full of it. Bpa is a chemical that mimics the action of the human hormone estrogen, which alters our body’s natural pattern. Effects at even low BPA exposure include prostate cancer, breast cancer, early puberty, alterations in gender-specific behavior, decreased sperm count, affects on fertility, behavioral effects including hyperactivity, increased aggressiveness, impaired learning and other changes in behavior, and other problems. With all of these problems caused by BPA, why are we still using products from companies that think it’s ok? And why is our government so slow to ban those companies from using it?

36. ajsmommy says:

And Also, It’s not just the number 7 in the recycling triangle you need to worry about, although it is considered to be the worst. Number 1 you should use once, and then throw away, like a water bottle, Do not refill and use again. The numbers 3 and 6 are also considered harmful.

37. canuckistani says:

i love my Sigg bottle…it screems pretentious, yet stylish lol