Toyota Announces Tacoma Buyback Program For Severe Rust Corrosion

If you own a Tacoma made between 1995 and 2000, Toyota would like to inspect it free of charge—and if the rust corrosion is severe enough, they will either repair the truck on their dime or buy it back as a vehicle in “excellent condition” no matter what state it’s really in. Toyota announced this a little over a month ago and said thy would start sending letters to Tacoma owners in the weeks to come, so if you haven’t received yours yet, be on the lookout for it.

It looks like Toyota is attempting to avoid both an official recall and any sort of class-action suit by being pro-active in dealing with the problem vehicles, which is not a bad thing. The opportunity to make a profit off the purchase of your vehicle hassle-free is likely PR and not standard operating procedure, but it’s a smart way to lure Tacoma owners in for the free inspection. “This is not a recall,” writes the Toyota exec on their blog. “What’s important is that we take care of our owners. We just thought you should know that.

“Living Up to Our Commitment” [Toyota Blog] (Thanks to Mark!)

RELATED
“Rusty Toyota Tacoma? Toyota May Buy Back Your Truck For 150% The Value” [Jalopnik]

Comments

1. JackAshley says:

If only Kia would do this, students everywhere would rejoice (If you’re like me and graduating, you no longer want a tin can for a car)

2. FightOnTrojans says:

Another reason why we will continue to purchase Toyota in the future.

3. RevRagnarok says:

@JackAshley: I am on my second Kia and have liked them both. I had problems with the first, but the company was VERY responsive to any and all issues I had, including the eventual redesign of the entire braking system on the 1998+ Sephias. I also have a Honda Pilot so yes I know what more expensive vehicles are like to compare.

4. evslin says:

Thanks for posting that. May take my Tacoma to the dealership this weekend to get it checked out.

5. Silversmok3 says:

Very slick, Toyota!

Not only do you offer to buyback the faulty trucks,you also get happy customers into your dealerships…who will be more than happy to offer to apply the trade-in value of the rusted trucks towards a new Toyota.

A good way to turn lemons into lemonade, Toyota.Hats off.

6. Will the same thing happen w/this as what happened w/Craftsmans after people bought old ones on purpose just to get new cars?

7. Darren W. says:

Would it be pessimistic for me to suggest that this is a good way for Toy mechanics to point all of the other things that the Tacos “need” to have “fixed” allowing the stealerships to turn a hefty profit? Muffler bearings, anyone?

8. algormortis says:

One of my co-workers, who no longer needed the Big Old Truck, walked out with a Prius after trading in his Tacoma under the plan. (He was actually asked if he preferred the cash or repair, and he admitted he was hoping for the cash.)

Toyota has this knack for turning its mistakes into opportunities. I still drive an ancient Toyota with 300K on the clock and counting. One transmission, one engine. Sometimes parts are a little hard to get, but the local dealership looks at my car like a venerated god when it’s brought in.

9. mtarget says:

I hope Saturn jumps on the me too bandwagon. Plastic body looks great, but open the doors on my 96 and its kind of scary in there.

10. hannahlin says:

JackAshley…
    Ha Ha. You own a Kia.

11. B1663R says:

now only of Honda would have done this back in 1983 when the Civics had that rust problems

my 2002 Protege is starting to rust, time to step up to the plate Mazda!!

12. lostsynapse says:

*Checks newspaper ads for 1995 Tacoma trucks selling really cheap*

13. freejazz38 says:

Now if we could only get money back for all the HOURS of annoyance at their overplayed annoying commercials. Toyota, the biggest scumbags when it comes to bludgeoning the public to death with their ads

14. Subliminal0182 says:

Glad we made the switch. My dad’s daily driver is a 97 corolla with over 240k miles and he drives about 300 miles each week!

Now if only GM would do something like this for my two chevy’s that broked after 50k and 2k

15. Exek says:

Subaru should do the same thing too My gas line nozzle rusted out the other day and now I’m stuck repairing the whole gas tank :-(

16. jlayman920 says:

I have a ’92 Toyota pickup that failed inspection because the frame rail was rusting in half. It ran great and looked fine for it’s age and 250,000 miles. It made me sick to get rid of it.

17. RYANK says:

Props to Toyota on this one. My buddys father bought a ’97 Tacoma in 2002 for $6000CAD. He brought it into the local dealership and they are giving him $18,500CAD for a truck with 270,000 kms on it, plus the use of a new Toyota for a month while he looks for a new vehicle.

18. Anonymous says:

If it fails the inspection then you get a huge payoff. If it passes then you have a truck that is worthless. Mine barely passed. Last Toyota I will ever buy.