Wal-Mart Holds Your Credit Card and ID Hostage When You Complain

When reader Steve went to Wal-Mart to buy Rock Star for his daughter, he reluctantly presented the cashier with a state issued ID containing just his picture, name and signature. Steve’s job is to consult with law enforcement about identity theft, so he’s more careful than the average bear. For one thing, he only likes to show his state issued-ID. The cashier, however, refused to accept it as a valid ID, and tense negotiations ensued. When Steve said he’d call corporate about their ID checking policy, the cashier refused to hand back Steve’s credit card or ID until Steve spoke to an in store CSM. That’s right, after he complained, the cashier held his credit card hostage. Check out the gory details, inside.

Dear Consumerist,

I stopped in my local East York Wal-Mart in PA on 3/22/08 around 12:00 pm to pick up an Easter gift for my daughter. I went to the electronics department to pick up the Rock Star video game for the PS3. They did not have any on the sales floor so I asked a sales associate named John if there was any in the back. John went to the back and brought one out. John told me that the purchase must be made in the electronics department. As if I would have walked out with it without paying for it. I guess this policy only affects the PS3 version of the game. If I wanted a 360 version I could have picked it up off the shelf and paid for it up front since I did have some other shopping to do.

No big deal I will just pay for it in the electronics department as I was told. So John rang me up and paid with a my signed credit card. I signed the signature pad at the register. John gave a brief glance to the back of my credit card and asked to see an ID.

A little bit about me: I have worked with credit card processing and acceptance for a government agency for several years. And also worked with law enforcement agencies in regards to credit card and identity theft. And also provided training to them on this very subject.

I know that the less personal information you give out in a store or online the less likely your credit card or identity will be stolen. So I have a State Issued ID what has my picture, my name, and my signature. Everything that is needed to confirm that is my card. But, all of the other info such as address, birth date, license number has been blocked out for security reasons and are not used to confirm the rightful card holder. Since some of those things can be used with the credit card number and CVS number to complete a fraudulent credit card transaction.

John told me “This is not a valid ID and you can not use it”. I told him that was no where in any credit card processing agreement that asks you to view a persons address, DOB, or licensee number before completing a credit card sale. So he called over another sales associate and asked him. He said basically the same thing probably out of not wanting John to look bad. So I explained that I would be informing Wal-Mart headquarters about this to make sure this is their policy. John said “I will have to call a CSM”. Now keep in mind that I already paid for the item and he at this would not give me back my credit card or ID.

After waiting around for about 5 minutes I made a decision that I now regret. I showed him another ID that had all my info on it. I just wanted get out of there and do the rest of my shopping. Now John tells me that since I will be calling Wal-Mart headquarters I have wait for a CSM. I was like “WHAT?” John will not give my credit card and 2 forms of ID back until he talks to a CSM. A few minutes later a CSM showed up and basically agreed with John. Then John said “since I showed another ID it was okay “

I regret giving up most of my personal information. I should have stood my ground. I did think about just leaving with my purchase and calling the police to get my credit card and ID back. But the police have better things to do.

Regards
Steve

Steve is being way too nice. It’s completely unacceptable for a store to refuse to let you leave, or to coerce you by holding your card. We’d suggest Steve float the idea of police involvement next time, but there’s no telling how John would react to this news. Flying tackle? Citizen’s arrest? Hopefully, Steve didn’t let John’s bullying phase him and escalated his complaint once out of arm’s reach.

(photo:SIRBERUS)

Comments

1. donTHEd says:

wow, small world. I used to shop there all the time. I used to think that it was one of the better Wal-Marts around. (Now that I live elsewhere and see some pretty bad stuff.) Don’t fret Steve, there is a Giant and Weis market within 3 minutes, and a Circuit City and Best Buy within 5.

2. m_m says:

Perhaps Visa should be made aware of this. According to the Visa merchant rules (easy to find via Google), a merchant cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. You need no ID whatsoever. Mastercard has similar rules. All you need is to be able to sign the signature on the back of your card.

3. mgy says:

Have we progressed too far as a society to condone a swift punch in the throat?

4. Umisaurus says:

They were completely out of line. They broke corporate policy by holding onto the ID and card. If anything, they should have just called the CSM and let them handle the whole situation while still letting the customer hold their card.

I could understand if they were selling restricted items, but it’s Rock Band, for goodness sake. The Asset Protection Manager should have better policies than that to prevent shrink.

5. Ugh, what is with people in customer service positions holding you hostage these days? Recently while making a call to try and order a cable from Sprint (I wanted to have it sent to my school address even though my credit card has a different address), I decided that dealing with a customer service rep who barely spoke English was too much trauma for a stupid cable, and asked that she terminate my order (I hadn’t even given her payment info yet). She continued to try and sell me the cable, urging me to hold on just a moment longer. I didn’t want to hang up because she knew my account and I’d heard that hanging up on customer service reps is sometimes marked on your account so future reps will know if you’re “difficult”. This is a family account and I wouldn’t want to cause trouble for other people. It took forever to get off the phone.

At least I had the option of hanging up. This poor guy’s card was in limbo. I do wonder if he has some kind of case for harassment or similar, but I have no legal knowledge whatsoever so I’m probably just making that up.

6. ecwis says:

That’s why, if by the off chance that I do actually show ID (I try my best not to), I won’t let the ID leave my hands.

If they don’t give me my card back, that’s fine: I can call American Express and have a new one overnighted to me. But allowing the Wal-Mart employee to keep an ID is very dangerous.

7. anonvmoos says:

[insert comment about not shopping at walmart]

8. humphrmi says:

I’m going to assume that the non-DL ID that Steve showed John was a state-issued ID. We have this here in Illinois too, for this very purpose: stores that insist on seeing valid ID can get that without seeing all the personal details. Declaring that ID invalid is the problem here. I doubt there are any laws about it, but I’m sure a follow-up with Wal-Mart corporate will eventually result in some “retraining” for Clueless John.

9. SayAhh says:

So why are you people going into Wal-mart if you’re just gonna complain about it? Doesn’t that make YOU the one who’s foolish? That said, I did go to Wal-mart since I couldn’t find Sanyo eneloop batteries at Target–could’ve gotten the the power pack from Costco but I don’t need that many AA batteries.

Ended up not buying anything, but did notice an older lady standing by the exit with a highlighter (a la Costco), and it appears to be a permanent fixture now. Someone walked right out without stopping (although everything WAS in a plastic bag) and she kinda just nodded her head and pretended (to convince herself) that she had let that customer through and that it was okay by her. How funny!

Anyway, I thought about putting up black tape on my license blocking my ID number, address and birthday (I don’t cover the birthdate if going into a club) but haven’t done it yet. I wonder how many women gets followed home after a bouncer checks (and memorizes) their home address from their IDs. Scary.

10. AT203 says:

Withholding an instrumentality or property that someone needs to leave might be considered false imprisonment. Walmart is in such a dilemma as far as how to train their people. On the one hand, you want customer facing employees to have enough autonomy to make sure that the customer is treated well. On the other hand, when you pay low wages, you get substandard employees that do not have adequate judgment to exercise discretion. Its a rock and a hard place.

11. Fidel on the Roof says:

Those employees make me sick.

Anyway, shop or don’t shop at walmart. Unless we all band together, walmart will bowl over anyone

12. FrankReality says:

Certainly Steve should file a complaint with WalMart corporate about this and make a call to the store manager.

But the best revenge may be to contact any local TV affiliate that has a consumer watchdog feature and work with them do a story about how WM was terribly wrong and to educate consumers about their rights.

13. lefty_redhead says:

Reason 4,452,006 why Wal-Mart sucks. They hand out Medicaid information as a “health plan” and they never tell potential employees they belong to Wal-Mart 24-7 for $8 per hour until AFTER Wal-Mart has all of their personal information. But, they are the fastest company to request information for the “hire former welfare recipients” tax credits. I used to deal with that a lot. The request for food stamp confirmation came the same day as the interview, and the “employee” could never get their schedule until the tax credit form was completed.

AND, they are total thieves, at every level (which you all know). At my local Devil Stand, a guy wrote a check off a just-closed bank account, figured it out within an hour, and went back and wrote another check off the new bank account. The Devil would not give him back the original check and then had him arrested for writing a bad check. And the Devil had already cashed the new check, too. Wal-Mart is the devil.

14. KogeLiz says:

so… i don’t understand. Maybe PA is different, but the State IDs don’t have your birth date and everything on them?
    How is it “blocked out” ?

15. TPK says:

I may get some flames for this… try not to take it personally… but if we had spent more time in the 80′s and 90′s teaching kids to read and to think, instead of playing video games, we’d probably have a higher intelligence work force all around, even at Wal-Mart!

16. homerj says:

There’s also the little piece of information most people forget.

A state issued ID is property of the state. Taking it and not giving it back is a criminal act of varying degrees depending on your state.

17. Seth_Went_to_the_Bank says:

Oh c’mon, this sounds like the story from last week about the professor who was an expert on credit… who nothing about credit card disputes.

I’m not saying the OP is wrong, but I am guessing there’s part of the story left out here. I believe part of the story was probably a speech from the OP about he was an expert on these matters and made the employees making minimum wage nervous and worried about making a mistake.

Don’t get me wrong. The employees had no right to hold his ID and card. And the employees have no clue, some credit cards like MasterCard even forbid requiring showing photo ID to use your card. But I also am betting the OP went overboard as well and created a situation where the employees felt they needed someone in charge. Sometimes when you scare people, they do very stupid things…

18. b612markt says:

From VISA:

Requesting Cardholder ID
    When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance . Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID . Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures . Laws in several states also make it illegal for merchants to write a cardholder’s personal information, such as an address or phone number, on a sales receipt .

From MASTERCARD

9.11.2 Cardholder Identification
    A merchant must not refuse to complete a MasterCard card transaction solely because a cardholder who has complied with the conditions for presentment
    of a card at the POI refuses to provide additional identification information, except as specifically permitted or required by the Standards. A merchant may require additional identification from the cardholder if the information is required to complete the transaction, such as for shipping purposes. A merchant in a country or region that supports use of the MasterCard Address Verification Service (AVS) may require the cardholder’s ZIP or postal code to complete a cardholder-activated terminal (CAT) transaction, or the cardholder’s address and ZIP or postal code to complete a mail order, phone order, or e-commerce transaction.

Seems pretty clear to me.

WalMart sucks.

19. morganlh85 says:

@KogeLiz: Yeah, I don’t know what kind of ID that would be, except a temporary ID perhaps. I had a state ID before I had my driver’s license, and it looked just like a driver’s license except it said “ID” instead of “DL” in the corner.

20. Seth_Went_to_the_Bank says:

Beginning of my post should have said: “Oh c’mon, this sounds like the story from last week about the professor who was an expert on credit… who knew nothing about credit card disputes.”

21. chemmy says:

I’ve had my credit card & id held hostage as well by supermarket employees after a purchase was made. They didn’t believe that I was the person on the card (must we always look as terrible as our license photos) and said they would require an additional form of ID before I would be allowed to take the beer. She’d already carded me and I’d already paid but another form of ID was suddenly required. I could have my groceries and cards and not the beer but if I wanted to take the beer I’d just purchased they required an additional ID. WTF

The second ID I showed to her and her manager (who agreed with this moron) was my Blockbuster card and somehow that proved all they needed to know.

These people must get off on making us do these things.

22. smokinfoo says:

If this happens you should jump over the counter and forcibly take your property from the little shit.

23. Extended-Warranty says:

The cashier doesn’t know the policy and was scared. That’s why they got the CSM. While Wal-Mart was at fault here, they’re still going to be Wal-Mart and nothing will change here. So hold your ground and gain whatever victory you think you may gain out of this, or show your ID and move on with life. No one will steal your identity from showing your ID……

24. EricaKane says:

They shouldn’t have held this guy’s ID, but this guy is paranoid and defacing his ID by blocking out the address and what not.

To put it bluntly, there are plenty of ways for people to pull up such basic information as your address and birth date. Its public record and services like Lexis can do it with little hassle.

So foor this guy being an expertt on credit card fraud, his actions of defacing his ID seem paranoid.

Oh and isn’t it a crime as well to deface your state issued ID? The ID is property of the state and he messed with it. So yeah if you want to call the cops on the Walmart cashier, then throw the book at the guy who defaced his ID by blocking out information on it.

25. Sifl says:

I have a question in regards to this ID policy that both card companies have.. mind you being in Canada also semi-complicates things…

So, what if I, fearing that some *jerk* will go to town with my card if it ever gets stolen or lost… I have the words “CHECK ID” on the back? Does that counter what the companies policy is?

I have that on the back of my VISA since a kid got my card info from a gas station I was filling up at [Read as had a good enough memory to memorize the card # in the very brief time he had the card to swipe it.] and did exactly that. Thankfully the police busted him with my, and several other people’s card info… joy of joys. Since then, when I got a new uncompromised card, I put that on the back and have no problem providing proper picture ID with my signature and DOB on it. [Nothing more then that, aside from a notarized signature from a Provincial head] Mind you.. the saddest thing is how little often anyone ever checks the back for that… mind you I do so at work and politely ask for ID when I do see those words.

I honestly would not be happy if I found out that was something I can’t do… definitely would be even less happy if some fool tried to hold onto my card as well. [It isn't going to happen unless I KNOW YOU]

Figured I’d bring this to the table as a thought, especially as I intend to visit New Hampshire next month, and while never encountering this problem during previous trips, am now concerned. [I definitely am NOT going to go to Wal-Mart, that's for sure!]

26. Ailu says:

Flip out your cell phone in front of the clerk, and dial 911. “My credit card and ID have been stolen by a clerk at Walmart, and I need immediate police assistance to recover it.”

That oughta do it, eh?

27. 5h17h34d says:

@EricaKane: Who said he defaced his ID? You may want to look into reading comprehension classes then start on that GED.

28. EricaKane says:

You mark or cover any portion of a state issued ID, thats a defacement of a state issued ID. I already have a degree, thanks.

29. Tijil says:

When asked for a second form of ID by some PFY behind the counter, the one I show is my Concealed Carry License. Surprisingly it usually gets their attention. :o) Rarely do I ever have any sort of problem after that…

30. EricaKane says:

@5h17h34d: Just so you can read from the article “So I have a State Issued ID what has my picture, my name, and my signature. Everything that is needed to confirm that is my card. But, all of the other info such as address, birth date, license number has been blocked out for security reasons and are not used to confirm the rightful card holder.”

So this guy intentionally blacked his ID out…no way the state issues such a blacked out ID. Sounds like a crime to me.

31. ecwis says:

@Sifl: If you have “check ID” on your card, it is not a valid card and no merchant is required to accept your card. The post office is notorious for rejecting “check ID” cards. The merchant is supposed to request you to sign the card, ask for your ID, and then process the transaction.

As you said,

the saddest thing is how little often anyone ever checks the back for that..

Therefore, your effort is in effect worthless since people rarely check ID. Also, fake IDs are very easy to make.

Credit card companies have advanced methods to prevent fraud. Let them worry about it. With your credit or charge card, you will not be responsible for any fraudulent transactions.

32. DaoKaioshin says:

IIRC, in Illinois, if your state-issued ID is taken as a suspected fraud, they are required to contact the police. I think it works either way.

Anyways, that would’ve been my threat.

33. thalia says:

Our WalMart actually doesn’t go by Visa’s no-ID-necessary policy. If you pay with Visa and aren’t willing to show ID, then they tell you that you can just do your shopping elsewhere. Which is why I love Winco…

34. donTHEd says:

@SayAhh:

He’s in a town without a Costco..

I forgot to mention there is a target about 4 minutes away also. lol

35. tricky69 says:

The crazy thing is I *almost* never get asked for an ID. I went to get a hair cut at a place in Macy’s that was open before the actual Macy’s was, and the security guard had a list of names that could go in – including mine. All he did was ask me for my name and never once checked my ID.

36. Hastin says:

Our Wal-Mart is the same way. However, when most stores ask for my ID, and I decline, I do pull out a mini-copy of the Visa merchant agreement, and flip to the section on checking IDs. Most employess don’t care, but managers do. However, if they refuse the sale without ID, I just don’t shop there anymore.

37. There is a difference between “blocked out” and “blacked out”. The State issued ID he is using never had that information on it in the first place. You can get them in Canada as well, they are basically like a driver’s license for people who don’t drive so that you can still buy liquor and prove how old you are.

38. wildness says:

Okay, what’s wrong with the this picture – the guy tries to protect his identity as best he can, but is will to let the company that wishes to be Big Brother his credit card at all?????

When dealing with the evil scum that is corporations like Wal-Mart- cash only!

39. donTHEd says:

@k8supergrover:

Regular PA State ID’s look just like the driver’s licenses, with different colors. The exact same information.

40. EricaKane says:

@k8supergrover:

And so you are in Canada and know what Pennsylvania ID cards look like? No, this state ID was altered to block (blacked- doesn’t make any difference) out information by this individual. That is against state law.

41. Buran says:

@wildness: I’ll keep fraud protections, thanks. If you’re scammed and paid cash, you’re SOL. If you paid with credit, you get your money back.

I do think the OP should have called the police and filed a theft complaint against the guy, though, the moment he refused to return the card(s).

42. Can the Consumerist post a summation of the definitive word on showing ID for credit card and/or debit card purchases please? There are too many “experts” here talking off the top of their heads. Which is the best way to protect my ID? Writing “ask for ID”? Not signing the card at all? Always using a pin?

43. mickel2 says:

I use this, thanks to Consumerist, and it appears to work.

[consumerist.com]

44. maztec says:

Y’know, this would be all fine and dandy if the credit card companies would make a credit card that the signature actually stayed on. My signature rubs off within a month and then I have to break out some heavy-duty permanent marker to get anything to even stay on the signature strip… which just rubs off within another month. After a year it is just a black smudge and useless.

As for minimum transaction issues – I totally understand where small businesses are coming from. If it is a large business, fine, stick it to the man. But if it is a small mom and pop – they’re getting charged most of their profit. Give’m a break.

45. sam1am says:

This happened to me at Wal*Mart when they refused to accept my government issued ID. They said they ONLY accept a valid Driver’s Licenses.

The ID I tried to use was a concealed weapons permit – which is way tougher to get than a driver’s license.

They took my ID in back, refused to give it back, and refused to let me even go in the room where they had it. I was told they had to call the police station and verify my identity.

Oh, and here’s the kicker: I wasn’t even buying anything. It was checked because I was in the vicinity of someone buying cigarettes. Yea. In the vicinity.

I complained of course, but the Wal*Mart manager didn’t seem to understand what the problem was and sent me a $20 gift card for my troubles.

Consumerist didn’t pick it up when I sent the story to them, but if you’d like to read it – it’s here: [gthing.net]

46. Dobernala says:

@sam1am: Lesson learned – don’t show your ID to anyone but the police.

I sure as hell wouldn’t give up my credentials to some retail do-gooder. Not even purchasing anything? Run, don’t walk, to the nearest exit. They wont let you out? Then find your way to the nearest emergency exit and set off the alarm in the process.

47. felixgolden says:

I was in a store in Florida with my father helping him buy some stuff for his house. His credit card has his picture on the face of the card, but they still asked him for picture ID. He pointed to the picture on the card, which seemed to put the cashier into a loop of confusion for a few moments. When she opened her mouth to ask for ID again, he cut her off and said that’s why his picture is PRINTED ON THE FACE OF THE CREDIT CARD. You could tell she really wanted to protest, but my father, a now-retired chief executive, can summon up a tone of voice and bearing that says “don’t waste my time with this nonsense and use your head”.

I have since moved down to Florida as well, and it seems that at least 75% of the time, I get asked for ID for any card transactions, even for minor purchases. But its not consistent, even at the same stores.

48. witeowl says:

I’ve supported stores asking for ID in the past, but this is ridiculous. If, as he claims, he showed a valid state-issued ID card with a signature, there should have been no further issue.

Beyond that, I have the solution for this whole ID issue, when done within reason. Have a sign on the front door: XYZ will be required for payment by check. ABC will be required for payment by credit card. Receipts may be required upon exit. Tell prospective, but identity-vigilant, shoppers about these “invasive” policies before they waste their time shopping. Let everyone else reap the benefits of lowered prices due to fewer charge-backs and reduced inventory shrinkage.

49. fhic says:

I don’t get it. I’ve got no problem with identifying myself, but my ID stays in my wallet, and my wallet stays in my hand, for anyone who doesn’t have a badge and a gun.

50. kyle4 says:

What this person did was all wrong. I used to work electronics and we were instructed to only withhold the card if we were absolutely sure it was a fraudulent charge to someone else’s card or a fake credit card. This actually happened twice and the people were arrested. Most of the time it is fine, but there have to be clear indications that it is fraud before you even attempt to withhold a card from someone. For example, if the sheet prints up and their name isn’t there, or the person takes far too long to write their signature and it doesn’t look similar, or 5 rejected cards in a row etc.

Holding for something like this is unnacceptable and they should be held accountable. I’m 18 and this annoys me.

51. xirian says:

Thats weird, when I worked at walmart we were trained to ignore the check signature prompts.

52. MercuryPDX says:

A state-issued ID needs the following to be considered valid:
    1. Name
    2. License/non-driver ID number¹
    3. Signature
    4. Picture
    5. Expiration date
    6. Date of Birth
    7. Security features²
    8. Height and Weight³

“John” should have asked for a second ID because the one the OP presented is not considered valid. “John” had no right to confiscate any of it as it is considered the OP’s personal property. The most “John” could have done when presented an invalid ID is refuse the sale.

¹ In WA state: year of birth + last two digits of ID number = 100. Other states have similar “coding”. It’s done to detect forgeries/alterations.

² State Seal, Holograms, U/V inks, etc.

³ These are used if you don’t match your picture. At worst, your height will be correct.

53. Zelucifer says:

Ever hear of Conversion? It’s the civil version of theft. You might not want to go to court over it, but it Is an option.

I have to say though, when someone refuses to hand over your property, especially something like a credit-card, why isn’t your , or at the very least second, thought “I’m calling the cops”?

54. MyCokesBiggerThanYours says:

WHO CARES. There are a billion stupid employees.

But this is not corporate policy…
    You are slandering WalMart with the title by misrepresenting the issue. You are lying to propagate your own agenda.

55. MercuryPDX says:

@fhic: Who’s to say the ID behind the plastic in your wallet isn’t a bogus color copy on flimsy paper? That’s why that won’t work if you’re trying to get into a bar/club, buy alcohol, or buy cigarettes. We’re asked (by the state) to physically handle the ID so we can make sure it’s authentic and unaltered. As I said above, under no conditions are we allowed to keep it. Even if it’s a fake, we have to return it to you and just refuse the sale/admittance.

56. mariospants says:

What’s hilarious is that unless your state requires you to present a birth certificate, other pieces of foundation ID and corroboration from certifiable third parties (your doctor, your lawyer) a driver’s license is useless as an ID. In fact, it’s not really an ID at all. It’s just a permit to drive.

I agree that the title for this thread is misleading. The protagonist didn’t complain, it was the cashier who actually did the complaining.

57. Astos says:

Walmart sucks and they are now in the process of suing a company they previously contracted to film their board meetings.

walmart
    [www.walmart.com]

58. Trojan69 says:

For once and for all. I, too, have worked for a credit card processor and am intimately familiar with Visa/MC regs.

However, if this method is used, the cardholder must, upon merchant request, provide a government-issue ID that depicts the legal signature of the cardholder. If the signatures match, end of story.

59. starrion says:

@Trojan69:

Try that at the post office. The clerk there will not allow you to use any credit card that does not bear a valid signature. Check ID is not valid in the eyes of USPS

60. mac-phisto says:

i’m surprised i haven’t read this here yet…

here’s the thing – rock band is rated “mature”, which means that the cashier has to enter a d.o.b. into the system to allow the sale. they started doing this at wal-mart religiously after the whole “hot coffee” incident & the crusade by the likes of joe lieberman & hillary clinton to get the government involved in enforcing the rating system.

the OP could be 90 & they’ll still ask for his ID. i tend to think that is why there was such a problem when he showed an ID w/ no d.o.b. on it. & john exasperated the issue b/c he couldn’t communicate that effectively.

failing to check ID on a “mature” game sale at some stores is grounds for dismissal – john probably just didn’t want to lose his job.

61. chatterboxwriting says:

From the Visa and Mastercard info above, it is against the merchant agreements to reject a transaction just because someone will not show ID. However, in three different stores I went to over the weekend, there are signs at the registers that state, “Have your ID ready if using a credit card.” It seems like they shouldn’t even have those signs up if they can’t reject a sale based on refusing to show an ID.

62. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

@MyCokesBiggerThanYours: Right. You get your checks from Bentonville weekly?
    GETTING YOUR MONEY. That’s “Corporate” policy.

@humphrmi: “Retraining”? Hardly. Either a pat on the back or they’ll ignore it.

63. Skellbasher says:

@Trojan69:
    “CHECK ID/SEE ID is a COMPLETELY VALID use of the signature panel. In fact, it is specifically mentioned in the regs as a good way for a cardholder to protect him/herself.”

Please refer to Visa’s Risk Management document found here, specifically the ‘Dealing with Unsigned Cards’ section.

[usa.visa.com]

Visa does not endorse this whatsoever.

64. scoosdad says:

@Trojan69: Don’t come here often, do you?

65. aikoto says:

When I worked retail, I ALWAYS checked ID whether it said to or not. I may be in the minority here, but this guy handed her an idea that could have been fake for all she knew and she suspected that he was using someone’s stolen card and got a manager involved.

I don’t see the problem. It’s what I would have wanted if someone was trying to use my card. Use unrecognized IDs and expect trouble.

66. SadSam says:

Any store that requires an ID to purchase something besides beer loses me as a customer. 99.9% of the time the clerk withdraws the request because she/he has already rung up the purchase and doesn’t want to deal with voiding and restocking etc. .01% of the time I walk out and leave my planned purchases behind.

If you don’t like these policies, showing ID at purchase or showing receipt at the door, don’t shop at these stores. 99.9% of these products are carried at other stores.

67. Pafoofnik says:

“A state issued ID is property of the state.”

Does anyone have a legal cite for this assumption? If so, then why am I required to jump through hoops and pay money for something that I don’t even own?

68. bohemian says:

My card and ID don’t leave my hands if I can help it. Places that have the card scanner on the customer side of the counter are preferable. I don’t pull my ID out of my wallet, they can see it through the plastic window and I will show them the back of my ccard if they want to check the signature. I use self check out whenever possible. Places that I know have stupid policies I either avoid or pay cash.

69. Imaginary_Friend says:

@b612markt: This is bull, unfortunately. Just last week I had a merchant refuse to complete my $5.00 purchase ($5.00 people!) because I’d left my DL in the car and didn’t want to get it. The manager refused to budge even though I cited those exact terms from Mastercard.

I did not cave in and get my ID, nor did I buy the product from that store. Got home, called Mastercard to complain, and the customer service drone hooked me up to a supervisor who explained that the merchant has the right to refuse any sale for whatever reason because “Mastercard doesn’t dictate store policy”. When I asked about that specific clause of the merchant agreement, she said that “merchant agreements are confidential” and she couldn’t get into specifics with me, but basically, it’s the merchant’s call. So you people who think Mastercard has got your back are dead wrong, just like I was.

In all fairness though, both the store manager and the Mastercard CSRs were unfailingly polite. I still won’t ever shop at that store again and Mastercard has also lost my business for the forseeable future. I have no problem with their terms, but they should update and clarify these policies to their cardholders.

70. acknight says:

@MercuryPDX: NYS driver licenses do not have weight on them. It’s in your DMV record, but not on the ID.

But I have a state-issued ID (as a NYS employee) which doesn’t have anything more than an ID number, a photo, and the name of the institution. Would it serve as valid ID for alcohol purchases? No (no DOB). But for card verification, it should be just fine – it has my name and a picture that looks like me.

71. Baron Von Crogs says:

@mac-phisto:

Rockband is rated T for Teen. Where did you think it was rated M? They have to censor out some of the lyrics for christ sake.

72. MrEvil says:

I find it odd that some stores require two forms of ID if you want to give them your money or your credit card. I’ve been in several Federal buildings post 9/11 and have never given up anything more than my name and who I work for. I’ve also never had my parts boxes searched by anybody. Aparrently getting the computers fixed is more important than security.

73. WV.Hillbilly says:

@starrion:

Not true.
    I use my unsigned card at the post office every time I go and have never been refused. Never.

74. Scuba Steve says:

Gave up your dignity. To a walmart employee. Man, what has happened to our country?

75. ThunderRoad says:

Demand a free year of credit watch for their attempt to steal your ID. If they say they didn’t, say “how do I know that? Heck, how does anyone that shops here know that. maybe the media should know that.”

76. KogeLiz says:

@k8supergrover:

I have never heard of that before.
    I have had both a Massachusettes State ID and a Florida State ID and both had all my information and there was no option to “block” the information out.
    And If I were do “block” the information out myself, I would fear that would be a little suspicious… if not illegal.

77. Leah says:

I’ve never heard of the option to only have an ID with name and picture, but I think it’s pretty awesome.

Thankfully, right now, I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Due to the large presence of the University and everyone’s trust in the school, my school ID passes for identification purposes for everything except bar going. I even use my school ID to access my bank account.

78. Leah says:

@WV.Hillbilly: very true. I’m not able to find the info on the USPS website, but every post office I’ve been to requires a signed card. Perhaps you’ve just gotten lucky with your post office?

79. Pro-Pain says:

It is sad that one dumbass cashier can cause all this fuss. He obviously was NOT properly trained by Wal-Mart.

80. Coelacanth says:

@EricaKane: Regardless, if the OP is informed about the merchant agreements and the ways credit card information can be (ab)used, then he is an informed consumer.

Since so many people are victims of fradulent credit card transactions and identity theft, it’s hardly “paranoid” these days. It’s not paranoia if there really are people after that information.

81. weakerthan says:

@MrEvil: this is mostly liquor stores that need to confirm age with the ID, not just with the credit card being used.

82. mac-phisto says:

@BaronVonCrogs: yeah – strike that comment…where the hell did i see that it was rated M?

that’s what i get for rolling out of bed an hour early on monday…

83. ndjustin says:

PA State ID’s are identical to DL’s, they just are yellow and say that it’s not a DL.

This was my hometown until recently, and I knew a few guys who had worked security at that walmart. They were often hit with con-artists and fraud.

All that being said, it’s really both of their fault.

Walmart should have never asked for ID unless his credit card said to on the back, which in that case he was asking for it.

You can’t expect a cashier at walmart when handed a defaced ID to not refuse it. These are employees who are given little instruction and even smaller pay.

If this guy does work with gov’t agencies he should be able to work on getting an ID without any of that information on it. The amish around here sometimes have state id’s with no pictures on them?

By defacing his DOB, I know he would get refused at any liquor store. They would most likely take it from him. All liquor stores in PA are owned by the state, thus we call them “State Stores”

84. Frank_Trapasso says:

I lived in PA for a couple years and had non-drivers license IDs there. There was never any option to get information blacked out. Methinks the OP is a paranoid motherfucker.

85. Seth_Went_to_the_Bank says:

@Trojan69: You are wrong. MC does not allow requiring you to show ID.

86. rg says:

Me thinks Mr “Steve” is a bit of a drama queen. How many times has anyone here shown their license as an ID and had them look at it long enough to actually glean any info from it. For most, it’s more of a formality. My license is in my wallet, behind a plastic sleeve, and the only time i’ve been asked to take it out is by Barney Fife of the TSA. If you’re that paranoid about showing ID, perhaps you should pay with cash! If Mr “Steve” is really in the business he says he’s in, then he’d have the actual figures of how many have had their identities stolen in this manner.

87. Nighthawke says:

@Frank_Trapasso:
    One of the tinfoil hat jobs maybe?

Either way, it’s lose/lose. First the OP altered his ID, which is illegal. The PFY manning the counter confiscated his cards, which is 8 ways illegal and could have put him back in the jobless line of the management used their heads for thinking instead of being like bulls in a china shop.
    Someone needs to dig up their fax number, send them the regs from the card companies regarding IDs, and info regarding LEGAL forms of ID for that state as well. Oh, and CC the works along with this story to Home Office, Arkansas

88. trekkie says:

@m_m:

THis is what always surprises me, it’s pretty clear that this can’t be done.

I guess people either need to suck it up nancy and do whatever they can to use credit or start complaining to Visa.

The problem is, Wal-Mart is a behemoth. What’s Visa gonna do? Wal-mart will just stop accepting their cards. They do it at Sam’s Club already. If they view the fee as too high, they won’t accept the card.

89. mbd says:

A while back I got a notice from my bank indicating that I should NEVER provide a phone number or personal information when I use my Visa Card, as it promotes identity theft. The letter specifically stated that they (the bank) were issuing me credit, not the merchant.

90. MercuryPDX says:

@mac-phisto: Nope. Rock Band is rated “T” for Teen:
    [www.gamespot.com]

91. KogeLiz says:

Is there anyway to verify one-sided stories that are submitted? Or do updates?

92. Okay, my question is he says he has a state issued ID card with information blocked out. This leads me to believe he did it himself. Doesn’t this invalidate the card? It would be great if the government issued ID cards with little information other than picture, name, and signature; but it’s not the case.

Of course, if the card comes that way then it shouldn’t be an issue. But I’m pretty sure the good people at Wal-Mart see a lot of state issued ID cards and wouldn’t have a problem accepting it unless it were somehow altered.

93. unklegwar says:

I woulda have been connected to the police before that CSM ever picked up the phone.

94. hi says:

Maybe I’m in a bad mood or I don’t care anymore … quit shopping at walmart. Problems solved.

95. mac-phisto says:

@MercuryPDX: yeah, the good baron already caught me on that & i redacted here.

96. StevieD says:

1) Those public rules are not the complete set of rules. The complete VISA rules are bound to a NDA. In the complete set of rules a vendor is responsible for security measures and will be responsible for products and services purchased with stolen credit cards if the vendor is lax in their security measures.

2) VISA rules are superceded by the rules of the Merchant Bank that processes the cc’s for the vendor. Merchant Bank rules are bound to a NDA as well.

3) My Merchant Bank clearly states the vendor is responsible for products and services purchased with a stolen credit card UNLESS the vendor views state issued photo ID’s with each purchase. The word “views” should be huge letters as my Merchant Bank rules forbid the vendor from recording the information of a state issued ID.

97. Buran says:

@Imaginary_Friend: You do realize that this is to protect you and others from fraud, right? They’re not writing down the ID information. They want to look at the photo and compare it to the name on the card and to your face. That’s it.

What store was this, so I can thank them for helping prevent fraud?

I’ve been a victim, more than once, of card fraud due to merchants not giving a damn about whether the card being used is really being used by the legit cardholder.

You’re complaining about a few extra seconds… while I lost quite a bit more.

98. BigElectricCat says:

@MyCokesBiggerThanYours:

No, I believe the word you’re looking for is “defaming.” Thing is, corporations can’t be defamed.

Thanks for playing, though.

99. Buran says:

@chemmy: If you already paid you would have been within your rights to grab your stuff and walk out. It’s your stuff now, not theirs.

100. Sanveann says:

@WV.Hillbilly: Almost all of the post offices in my area will refuse a card that says “Check ID.” A few clerks will allow it, but the vast majority absolutely refuse.

I now carry one “Check ID” card and one with my signature; the latter I use almost exclusively at the post office.

101. WV.Hillbilly says:

@Leah:
    Every post office I’ve been in has done the same thing.
    They i.d. me but never refuse me.

102. Baz L says:

I just love all the “don’t shop at Walmart” solutions.

1. Clerk had no right. But it’s the clerk and not super evil Walmart. Grow up people.

2. The CSM might have gone his way, who knows? All you need to do was wait. Again, it’s the clerk and not the store (at least he hasn’t proven it was the store)

To all the Walmart haters or people that let ONE (I’m not talking about constant problems) problem stop them from shopping at a store, do you really think anyone cares? Do you think they’re going to miss your few hundred bucks a month? Who are you really hurting? Now you have to drive further and pay more for what you’ve been fine with before this stupid incident.

Grow up people, don’t make one stupid kid at a counter spoil your night AND cost you increased prices and more gas.

103. Baz L says:

Oh, I forgot to mention…

3. If it bothered him so much and he was right, just call the cops. I think 911 is a bit of overkill.

Hey, it’s a tough road to exercise your rights. You either hold your ground and endure the waits and delays or you submit to the kid at the counter and go home before you ice cream melts.

104. typetive says:

I use my old expired DL with a previous address when asked for ID. I also have it in a little wallet with a window that I hold up and don’t let them take from me.

No one has complained about this process yet. (Though once I used the wrong ID when trying to get through some airport security and they noticed the expired ID and I had to pull out my real DL.)

105. KogeLiz says:

Don’t shop anywhere.

106. fhic says:

@MercuryPDX:

I prefer to look at differently: if you want to handle my ID, who’s to say you’re not some weasel trying to steal my identity? You’ve got my credit card, you authorized it, and you’ve seen all I’m going to show you. If you don’t like it, you (or your employer) has seen all they’re going to get. You need me more than I need you.

As for being asked to remove my ID at a club or to buy alcohol, it’s never happened. But then, I’m an old rich white guy, not the demographic that usually gets hassled when I want to give a retailer some money.

107. jaydeflix says:

“he reluctantly presented the cashier with a state issued ID containing just his picture, name and signature.”

You know what would make a great post? a link to the instructions for how to get these id cards in each state….. =) And maybe even reviews/security concerns about each states offerings… like WA State, based on the FAQ, I am not sure, but it looks like for an ID card, you’re always going to get an RFID ‘enhanced’ card…

108. teqjack says:

The credit/debit card issuer may have a policy of not requiring other ID, but the merchant may have a policy requiring it, at least in some circumstances. Heck, my bank teller sometimes requires my driver’s license number to be written on a check I am depositing! Stupid, but many things are.

If he blocked out information himself then he has defaced government property and could potentially be in trouble.

But yes, some State-issued ID has little info on it. I was homeless for several years, and carried two such forms with my name, picture, birth-date, in one case a registration number, and my signature. One is the “non-driver ID”: in my state, this is issued by the Department of Elderly Affairs (but you do not need to be elderly) for two dollars. The other is issued by the State’s Transportation Authority (in my case, for elder/disabled rates) for about the same amount.

OTOH, a couple of decades back I was somewhat amused/bemused at receiving a driver’s license with height, weight, hair color, etc. already filled in – but not gender!

109. GothGirl says:

I think most big companies right now have most associates scared to death about any kind of credit fraud, making sure to check ID seven times over… ect. This is more of an issue of a employee probably scared of trying to follow policy, or not really knowing policy…or a little of both.

110. Trojan69 says:

@Seth_Went_to_the_Bank: If the cardholder does not sign the signature panel, the merchant absolutely can demand a government-issue ID that depicts the legal signature.

I don’t have access to the Visa/MC regs since I moved on from the processor. But, a rule change that impacted cardholders as directly as no longer permitting SEE ID would have been widely disseminated in all consumer-oriented media.

I had this very conversation with a Visa rep at my office as I was working on signature panel issues for client institutions. The rep HIMSELF used this method for his personal CC (but not his Visa corporate card!!!).

The USPS is violating their merchant agreement if they will not accept a SEE ID card presented along with a legitimate ID. Imagine that, a union clerk who gets half the story. That never happens, huh?

111. jimbobjoe says:

@MercuryPDX:
    Though I haven’t gone through WA law, the definition of what is a valid ID is only for the purposes of state government and how IDs are issued. States issue them but they aren’t like currency–no one is bound to accept an ID card, and no one has to seek permission or licensing in order to check ID cards. (Though I think the latter will change in time.) (I might add that WA’s, as well as other states, procedure for coding DL numbers is ultra-stupid. It allows people to basically guess at DL numbers based on just a few bits of information. Thankfully, my state isn’t that stupid and its DL number is random. I would also say that the presence of the descriptor information (height/weight/eye color) is not for secondary identification purposes, but it’s there as an anachronism. When states added photos to licenses, they didn’t bother to remove the descriptor information from the license. (Though I want to say NH did.) The photo+descriptors is a uniquely North American thing. (Though it certainly can be used as secondary, or even primary, identification purposes.))

What I presume is meant by “block out” is that he affixed a block of paper with glue/tape onto the parts of the ID he didn’t want showing. Since it comes off easily it’s not really “defacing” by any reasonable stretch of the imagination.

For what it’s worth, a few years back, I got a legislator here in Ohio to introduce a bill allowing licenses and ID cards to be issued without address and/or date of birth. Alas, it didn’t go anywhere. A revision to the bill would allow licenses to be issued with DOB, but with an age descriptor (“Age over 21.” It doesn’t matter what your DOB is, it just matters whether you’re over 21, so it’s fine for the license to just indicate that.)

112. BrienBear Thinks Stupidity Defies Logic says:

I had a similiar issue one time while shopping with my grandmother.

In order to tell the story though, I have to explain about my grandma – she’s very vain! She didn’t like the picture she had taken on her drivers license, so she takes an old picture, and tapes (not like, with tape everywhere, just a circle of tape on the back of the “old”/New pic) and sticks it on top of the pic thats attached. Hard to explain, but trust me when I say that she didn’t damage the original card AT ALL – all you have to do is lift up the “new” picture and see the old picture underneath.

Anyway, so we’re checking out at Wal-Mart and the cashier asks for her ID after paying with a credit card. She shows her this license, and the lady just walks away from the register… we’re standing there like, “Uhm…?” She comes back with an, I guess, CSR, and she was like, “We can’t accept this ID as its been defaced. So wait, you mean you can’t lift up the little tape on pic and see the real pic underneath? Wow. People talk about common sense… its apparently gone out the window.

113. FuckYouGawkerMedia says:

” a guy wrote a check off a just-closed bank account, figured it out within an hour, and went back and wrote another check off the new bank account. The Devil would not give him back the original check and then had him arrested for writing a bad check. And the Devil had already cashed the new check, too. Wal-Mart is the devil. “

114. kbarrett says:

I have found that I seldom have these kind of problems when I use cash for face-to-face transactions.

115. drjayphd says:

@KogeLiz: I think you’re on to something here… ;)

116. BearTack says:

Refusing to return a CC not reported as stolen, or an ID is a theft. In many states it is also considered to be an illegal detention, as it may be used to keep a person from moving on about their personal business.

If you don’t feel like calling the police in such a matter, then another tactic to make use of state laws which make it a crime for any corporate officer to knowingly allow subordinates to commit crimes. Send a letter (return receipt required) to the CEO explaining what has happened, remind him/her that it is a crime for him/her not to immediately put a stop to such behavior, and ask for documentation what they are going to do about it.

Such documents must be kept, and are discoverable should anyone else have similar problems.

Simply refusing to accept a CC is not a crime, but rather an issue with the CC company. Don’t waste your time with a phone call, send a letter to the CC CEO or head of marketing.

117. yetiwisdom says:

Fun activity for privacy “nuts”: wipe the magnetic stripe on your ID!

[www.dailyspeculations.com]

See Also:

[www.dailyspeculations.com]

I the confusion when retailers swipe – swipe – swipe it unsuccessfully for returns, whatnot, before giving up.

118. AthenainCA says:

While those problems never should happen in the first place, paying in cash alleviates all such problems.

119. ogman says:

I live in York and I know the Walmarts well; well enough to stay out of them! They employ only the dumbest f-tards in the area. Stay away from Walmart and leave it to the zombies or they’ll eat your brains and make you one of them.

120. TruPhan says:

Agreed, should’ve called the police and pressed charges.

121. TexasScout says:

You know the sad thing is, WalMart just doesn’t give a shit. So what if you never go back, or a dozen of your friends, there is plenty of fools that WILL and they won’t miss your patronage one bit.

122. Tijil says:

My credit cards and debit card have my signature and “CHECK ID” in the signature block on the back of the card.

I’ve never had a problem with anyone rejecting the card, and the clerk often will check ID.

Should any clerk retain my card or ID for any reason, it just might turn into a race to see who can dial 911 the quickest… Bet I’d win. :o)

Tomas

123. Difdi says:

I don’t smoke or drink alcohol. I am balding, and look middle aged. I don’t own a car. There is *nothing* I buy that would require any sort of age verification that wouldn’t be obvious simply from looking at me. None of my cards are through companies that permit merchants to demand ID in order to accept the card. I don’t show ID in transactions where the clerk handles my card; If this costs them my business, and results in a complaint to mastercard, so be it. As an added precaution, I have a little bit of tape over the number on the back of my cards, making it impossible to read the number without removing the tape first (and it’s GOOD tape, I’d notice someone taking the time to do it).

Were I in the OP’s position, having already completed the purchase, I would have simply taken my property, demanded the return of my property in the clerk’s possession, and if he refused, offered to call the police right then and there.

124. algormortis says:

I just use my British Columbia Non-Resident ID. I had to get the thing to work (in a job where i touched alcohol) in BC one summer, and i’ve kept renewing it because it’s ironclad proof of age and identity in WA without giving people my address, a passport that most Americans can’t read, or much any personal information other than name, date of birth, citizenship, and “out of province address on file.” It does have an amazingly cute picture of me on it too.

Retailers in WA are so scared of annoying their increasingly primary source of income as the US economy tanks, and they don’t say much. If i don’t really care to explain that they’re in breach of contract by asking, they tend to get this ID. Or you can have my passport and that’s always lulz…

125. hazelwoodfarm says:

@Ailu: Awesome…except they would probably arrest you instead of the WalMart employee. Not that it would be correct, but the police could care less about you. They would take WalMart’s word over your’s…FTP!

126. S-the-K says:

I’d say he should have called the cops right there at the register on his cell phone. Tell the cops he was mugged, after all, they took his ID and credit card from him and would not return it upon request. I wonder how eager the punk would be to getting cuffed and hauled downtown?

The important part is the customer needs to call the cops to get his side of the story in first before the punk calls the cops and give them his lies.

127. Difdi says:

@Jakemon: So, let me get this straight. The guy knowingly passed a bad check … and Walmart is the bad guy?

Well, no…if you had actually read what he wrote, rather than just skimming it, you’d see that he forgot the account was closed, and upon realizing he’d written a bad check an hour later, went back to fix it. So yes, cashing his good check and having him arrested for doing the right thing is rather evil.

128. baristabrawl says:

I have to say that I feel that if you shop at Wal-Mart, then you get what you pay for.

I’m sure I’ll be crucified for this, but I simply hate them. I just don’t shop there because they absolutely suck so much. SUCK!

Sorry that the poor man had a bad experience, but why shop there? I mean, really? I try really hard not to shop someplace that makes their employees wear smocks. But that’s me.

129. baristabrawl says:

@S-the-K: I doubt it was a punk. I would have to say it was a low-income individual with a coercive-entitlement complex. Bastards!

130. ubugme08 says:

I am constantly in a position to check credit cards as shift supervisor of a local restaurant. If the card says “SEE ID” on the back, I check the ID. If there’s a signature, I check the front of the card to see if the name matches. If I can’t read the signature, I ask for ID. Most people appreciate this, and I get thanked all the time. It is very dangerous not to sign your card. You may think you’re requiring everyone to ask for ID, but if your card is stolen or lost, ANYONE can sign your card and provide ID with the name on it, fake ID’s are everywhere.

131. blameME says:

I always show my Federal gun permit…. usually works….

132. skilled1 says:

I will tell you what. If i have already paid, THEN you ask for ID, forget it. Give me my card back.

Secondly, it is illegal for them to detain you for any reason after the transaction is complete unless you are suspect to a theft.

Dude should have called the cops, and i would be writing wallmanrt’s brass to tell them the deal, and would want some form of compensation for the time wasted (ie your typical hourly charge that you would charge a police agency) for wasting your time.

133. hatrack says:

@Buran:
    I wouldn’t think he’s actually paid for it until the clerk completes the transaction.

134. hatrack says:

@KogeLiz:
    Don’t shop anywhere.

If people keep boycotting every business that annoys them they won’t be able to shop anywhere eventually

135. mmejanvier says:

I’ve commented on this subject before, but it’s really frustrating to deal with debit/credit purchases.

Half of the public will thank you for checking their ID and the other half gets offended.

I agree that a state-issued ID with a matching name should have been enough. But the fact that Visa and MC have policies which seem to favor theives is a little troubling. A cashier should never take a record of your info, but asking to check and make sure that the name on your ID matches the name on the card doesn’t seem out of line.

Because if your card gets stolen and some jerk buys him/herself a new wardrobe, your first thought will be “If the cashier had asked to see ID, this would have never happened.”

136. thelushie says:

@ecwis: Would it be ok to keep his ID if it were an employee at, say, Macys or Nordstroms. I would say that letting ANYONE at any store keep your ID is not a bright thing to do.

The employee doesn’t care about your oh so important information. And just because someone works at Walmart doesn’t make them dishonest, or you and your information special.

137. joeonsunset says:

You can report this type of merchant behavior to Mastercard directly at (this links directly to the form):
    [www.mastercard.com]

The form is for reporting merchants who: require IDs as a condition of accepting the card, require a minimum purchase amount, or who add a fee as a condition of credit card purchase.

(Visa doesn’t seem to have an equivalent. Their site says to call your Visa cards issuing bank. Good luck on that one.)

138. Albion01 says:

As much as I hate Walmart I have to disagree with Steve here.

John is probably some young kid who is just doing what he thinks is right. Something out of the ordinary like a card with merely a picture, name, and signature would probably raise alarms with me as well. I could easily make a card with a printer and a laminator using a different signature and claim that it’s an official ID. Who would know the difference? Especially someone who works for Walmart.

I commend John for noticing something out of the ordinary and taking action. If this had been a real identity thief he would have been caught and everyone would have praised John for his tactics. By holding onto the card and the ID, John would have at least stopped the thief from using those items again.

I’m sorry Steve, but you should have praised John for noticing something “different”, especially after working with police on identity theft matters. It’s those people who ignore strange occurrences who allow identity thieves to continue to get away with people’s money!