Verizon Can't Connect Dry Loop DSL To Your New Apartment, Blames You For Moving

Verizon assured Erich that he could transfer his dry loop DSL service to his new apartment, but now that he’s moved, they’re telling him he can only receive traditional DSL service with a dial tone. Since Verizon is failing to live up to their contractual obligations, Erich asked to cancel without an early termination fee. Verizon refused to waive the fee, claiming that Erich was at fault for moving.

Erich cc’d us on the executive email carpet bomb he hurled at Verizon’s top brass:

I’ve been a verizon dryloop DSL customer since 07/07, and I have to thank verizon for the fast reliable service that I thoroughly enjoyed. As a matter of fact, when several friends of mine moved to the region and asked me about which internet provider to choose, I never hesitated to recommend Verizon and the dryloop product, since many people only use their cellphone for calling nowadays, and dryloop DSL provides extremely competitive pricing and performance compared to cable alternatives.

However, since the lease of my current residence was up, I’ve been trying to get my DSL service relocated with me to my new apartment. Prior to moving, I phoned verizon customer service with the potential new address that I may move to and I was assured the dryloop service is available at the new location.

After I moved, I contacted the customer service again, and I must say the experience I had with the customer service on the phone was below my expectation. My call was transferred numerous times, and sometimes it would hang up during the transfer. It was very apparent when I would be speaking across the ocean and not. And often the calls were transferred from an abroad call center, to a domestic one but still in audible due to the method of throughput connection. One would not expect this type of service from any company, notwithstanding a telecommunications specialist!

I believe I have called at least 5 times in a single day, 3 days so far. One customer service agent located in WV told me the dryloop service is available but she can not figure out how to port the service over and told me my only option would be switching to a traditional DSL service with dial tone, or I can cancel without termination fee.

As this amounts to nondelivery of contracted service, I see no choice but to cancel my service. I opted to do so and was transferred to the cancellation department (where the phone disconnected again during transfer), so I dialed the customer service, and after talking to several agents again, I finally got transferred to the cancellation department.

I talked to several agents over at the cancellation department, including the supervisor, and every single one of them refused to honor the waving the cancellation fee. As a matter of fact, the supervisor even blamed me for moving, even though I had already checked dryloop availability prior to my moving and was told the service can be transferred without any charges.

I am hoping someone in verizon with higher authority may be able to assist me on getting this issue taken care of. It is unfortunate that the bottom line of customer service means we must check our humanity at the door so to speak, and deal with corporate rules which make no sense. I could be returning to Verizon in the near future when it is available wherever I might move, but this is the type of maneuver that insures I would not.

If Seidenberg’s slaves don’t respond, ping Verizon’s executive DSL people directly. Cassandra Flippin, Verizon’s consumer advocate, can be reached at (212) 321-8458. If that doesn’t work, call (800) 483-7988 and press 3.

PREVIOUSLY: Reach Verizon Internet Executive Customer Service
Reach Verizon Landline Executive Customer Service
(Photo: JGNY)

Comments

1. BugMeNot2 says:

I like reading the consumerist, but I find titles like “Verizon can’t connect *ME*, blames *ME* for moving” kind of annoying. Do they teach that in journalism school or something?

2. AD8BC says:

@BugMeNot2: You’re right. I think it’s supposed to be “Verizon can’t connect *I*”, “blames *I*”.

Me just kidding.

3. VeeKaChu says:

I like the use of the “royal-pronoun”, the so-called “Editorial ‘we’”.

“We” the consumers are treated like kings and queens at the Consumerist, as WE should be. It’s all about us…

4. k6richar says:

@BugMeNot2: The only time they say me is during the quoted email.
    unless they have changed the title and article between our comments

5. nequam says:

I think BugMeNot2‘s complaint has to do with the use of the second-person (you/your), and would prefer the title as “Verizon Can’t Connect Dry Loop DSL to Customer’s New Apartment, Blames Him for Moving.”

6. Dobernala says:

We’ve gone from blame the victim to blame the editors of Consumerist.

7. Baron Von Crogs says:

Oh verizon.

8. DogTown says:

Erich probably should have tried to get in writing from Verizon that they would be able to transfer the same service to the new location.
    Now all he’s gonna get is denials that he can’t take to court.

9. landsnark says:

@DogTown: Good idea, but I seriously doubt Verizon (or other companies) would agree to put this sort of thing in writing. IME, companies generally know things in writing will stick and therefore always try to get by with a verbal agreement.

10. theblackdog says:

Has the OP tried contacting their local business office directly? I found that calling the 1-800 numbers for DSL resulted in “Sorry, no dry loop DSL” but calling the local office number told me that “Yes, we really do have dry loop DSL” and that’s how I’m able to read Consumerist at home without dealing with the evil corporate machine known as Comcast.

11. theblackdog says:

@theblackdog: *their local Verizon business office directly

12. forgottenpassword says:

anybody else find the term “dry loop” …disgusting?

ew

13. wring says:

@Dobernala: dude, srsly. it’s a new low.

14. Scuba Steve says:

Steps for dealing with a Verizon customer service rep:

Step 1: Listen to Rep.
    Step 2: Thank rep. Ask for supervisor.
    Step 3: Ask supervisor to give you confirmation that the previous rep was not lying to get you off the phone.

Step 4: Call back in 2-3 days to confirm supervisor and rep’s story with new rep. Confirm with supervisor.

Step 5: Write letter/email to EECB confirming reps/supervisors lies with higher ups, and make sure to let them know how many of their reps lied to you just to get you off the phone faster and not have you cancel.

15. guroth says:

AT&T charges the exact same amount for a dry loop as a dial tone with extra fee’s
    example: phone line is 7.95/mo, naked line has a 7.95 convenience fee.

Does Verizon do the same, if so, what is the big deal if it has a dial tone or not

16. bdgbill says:

I would not move to an address where my only options were Comcast or DSL.

17. calvinneal says:

@bdgbill/ guess you won’t live in about 70% of the U.S.

18. alexiso says:

I live in the Pittsburgh PA area and have been enamored by the myth of the Verizon DSL drydock or dry loop. Does anyone have any local numbers? I’m tired of paying for a phone I don’t use. Landlines are obsolete.

19. rellog says:

He moved. They can’t provide service. He should be allowed to terminate without penalty. Same thing happens with cell phone service, you move, they can’t provide, they must let you go. I say contact the state’s consumer protection dept. and ask for some assistance. Failing that fill a suit, and then force4 them to pay the fees after they back down, since they don’t have a leg to stand on…

20. rekoil says:

@bdgbill: You can always get a T1 (1.5mpbs) from just about any carrier – only $3-400 month! If that’s not fast enough, get a T3 (45Mbps) – only a couple grand per month.

21. drylooplz says:

Erich here,

I did feel a bit of remorse to see this post, so I felt I should update. Copying my EECB to consumerist came at a frustrated point in the process. I realize this doesn’t even compare to some of the egregious stories on this site. But the big picture is completely typical of the corporate blind eyes today.

Inspired by “cc: consumerist”, I’ve been helped by no less than 5 or 6 people in different departments, just like the dozens required to get to this point. The executive people are helpful, the heads of the CSR departments are accusatory but required to deal with me, I grow tired of telling the story with enough patience to win the heart of whoever is helping me enough to get them to do the right thing. From my end it is the same story over and over again.

Anyway Verizon now believes dry loop is available here, so lucky me I will be able to complete my contract (despite already having cable internet) Even though they’ve supposedly set it up and it is on, I can’t find a live jack in the apartment, but I believe for now a Verizon tech coming would be my dime. Perhaps the building didn’t register as having service because it doesn’t actually work, who knows. Some of the notification emails have me worried my 12 month contract starts again, with which I will NOT be pleased.

I hope to be apologizing here later, but color me skeptical.

22. drylooplz says:

Erich here,

They have changed their tune that the building has service, and claimed to set it up last week. We have tried and tried to find a live jack, and discovered there is no incoming line into the actual apartment!

I did feel bad to see this post, I copied Consumerist at the depths of my despair, I’ve been helped by MANY verizon departments, if only they could better communicate amongst each other. I grow tired of winning the support of each new contact. Some of them are obviously heads of CSR departments who have had to answer to the higher departments and want to challenge my story.

I believe the cost of all this CS and tech work is going to far outnumber the ETF.

23. ian937262 says:

Are you nucking-futs??

24. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

Yet another reason to get any change that pertains to a service (phone, electric, cable etc)in writing. It seems 9 times out of 10, they’ll deny they ever said anything. Asking them to put a note on your account doesn’t work either – oh they will SAY they do that, but try calling back and the next operator will tell you there’s nothing written on your account. Its a hassle, but its honestly the only way you can protect yourself from getting screwed nowadays.

25. bjarmson says:

What’s with these ISPs? Last year my wife and I decided it was time to say goodbye to our trusty, but antiquated, 56K dialup modem. Since we live in a small town, 20 miles from the city, we had only one DSP option, with our local telephone provider. Well okay, better than what we had. We research everything, call and talk to the tech reps, and they tell us “sure you can buy your own DSP modem, we’ll just send you a password.” Get a cheap one off of eBay, doesn’t work. Call the tech rep, “oh you must rent our modem.” Rent their modem, doesn’t work. Call the tech rep (many times) and they finally admit they’ve somehow screwed up our password (from the one which they originally provided). Get new password, it works (about two months after it should have). Get the bills and they’re charging us for the two months when we didn’t have service due to their foulup. Numerous letters, and several months latter they finally credit us for the $40 they claimed we owed them. Since have found out the modem we bought would work, but still have theirs (at the $3/month rental rate they charge, have to keep it a year according to contract). These companies are not only incompetent, but apparently are run by the criminally insane.

26. timmus says:

Good point. Maybe it’s time to start the paper trail with certified return receipt mail?

27. u1itn0w2day says:

Not available?-Is it the plant or lack of?.Is dryloop like first generation DSL in which the plant must not only be available but in good shape for the higher speeds?.Lived 2 blocks away from a co and was told they couldn’t get dsl in the neighborhood.

28. littlemoose says:

@rellog: Good suggestion. Talking to the state consumer protection folks is a good idea, and is more likely to get Verizon’s attention. Verizon certainly doesn’t want a state AG investigation.

29. cristobalm says:

I got similar static when I was moving from home to home (roughly 3 miles distance). After talking to the third or fourth Verizon rep and getting conflicting answers about being able to take my Dry Loop account with me or having to get a basic land line even though I didn’t want one, I just went ahead and canceled the service at my old address after setting up service at my new place. I prefer to go month to month on services like this just so I don’t have to put up with the company’s crap. It was the same story with Dish network. They wanted me to sign an 18 month contract with them to move my service so I just canceled my month to month contract at my old place and my wife signed up under her name at the new one. We got free HBO and Showtime for 3 months to boot.

30. R3PUBLIC0N says:

When Verizon says they can’t offer you dry loop service, they are probably lying. I know this because they tried to pull this on me, and really ran with the lie.

I took over the DSL account in my apartment, but we had to close the account and start my subscription new so it looked like I was a new customer. we had been receiving dry loop DSL before, and I asked to be connected dry loop. They denied this feasibility for SEVEN CALLS before I let them in on the fact that I had been living here for a year and had dry loop, and I knew they were ripping me off.

Regulated monopolies are hell on earth.

31. @R3PUBLIC0N: Why did it take seven calls before you said anything?

32. dumbwhore says:

@calvinneal: I’ve moved 4 times since 2001. Every time there was another option. Perhaps you should check out broadbandreports.com.

33. Mr_Burmie says:

Most requests made to Verizon disappear into a black hole.

Keep calling. At some point you will end up connecting to someone who can solve your problem. Don’t be surprised if it takes several months to reach this point, however.