Sorry, light cigarette smokers! The Second Circuit denied you class-action status in your suit against the tobacco companies. A district court judge had held that “virtually all Americans who had purchased cigarettes labeled as ‘light'” could be part of the class. The appellate court laughed at this broad certification, saying it would not “reduce the range of issues in dispute and promote judicial economy.” [Consumer Law & Policy Blog]
By consumeristcarey April 12, 2008
More From Consumerist
- Big Tobacco Loses Legal Challenge To FDA Report On Menthol Cigarettes
- Tobacco Giants To Pay $100 Million To Settle Hundreds Of Lawsuits In Florida
- Meet The New Marlboro Spokesman: Jeff, The Diseased Lung In A Cowboy Hat
- Will The FDA Ever Get Around To New Warning Labels For Cigarettes?
- Tobacco Companies Sue FDA Over Cigarette Packaging Guidelines