Ticketmaster Levies Entirely Believable $327 Per Ticket Convenience Charge

Ticketmaster charged reader Keith $655 in convenience charges for two tickets to tonight’s Rangers/Devils playoff game. Of course, the tickets in section 118 cost nothing, but we still won’t give them the benefit of the doubt. Ticketmaster boasts that special brand of evil that wouldn’t object to levying several hundred dollars in convenience charges to a free Raffi concert.

RELATED: Round 3: Ticketmaster vs Wachovia

Comments

1. DeepFriar says:

Nothing “convenient” about that!
    But no, seriously – Ticketmaster is the worst organization ever created.
    Yeah, worse than Nazis

2. FirstDerivative says:

It says the same on my order too…4 tickets for 1300. I can’t embed the screen shot though

3. MaxSmart32 says:

@DeepFriar: Really now? I know you’re being satirical…but…worse than the Nazi’s? Let us show some restraint here.

4. JustaConsumer says:

Can I vote for them for worst company yet? How are they still in business? I do not buy tickets for anything that they broker.

5. hypnotik_jello says:

@DeepFriar: Goodwin’s law has been breached. Thread closed. Have a nice day!

6. AaronC says:

I disagree with Convenience charges… It is more convenient for them also, so should we get a discount for making their sell easier? It is their business and their right to run it this way, but 300 dollars is outragious. Especially for a per Ticket purchase. If it is all in one order it should be one charge… me thinks.

Please bust this monopoly!!

7. pmathews says:

@hypnotik_jello

If Godwin’s law is for nazi’s then what’s the law for gay jokes?

8. scarysnow says:

Convenience charges always make me feel like I am actually inconveniencing the vendor, and therefore I must be charged to somehow level the playing field.

I’m so sorry Ticketmaster and Papa John’s to inconvenience you when I order from you! Maybe I’ll go somewhere where they’ll actually be happy to take my business.

9. DeepFriar says:

@maxforrest32: if they can use a blatanly eggregious misnomer to cover up pirce gauging, than I allow myself a certain amount of overstatement

@hypnotik_jello: [reads definition] huh, wow.

10. zero_o says:

Don’t forget they charge a shipping fee for the tickets… EVEN IF THEY EMAIL THEM TO YOU!!!

11. oneswellfoop says:

Ha! Take that sports fans!

12. The Count of Monte Fisto says:

Someone call Eddie Vedder!

13. tande says:

Ok, what…

I’m all for using extreme examples to illustrate something but doesn’t this fall into the “anoying yet funny computer glitch” category and not the “outrageous fees” category.

I mean he wasn’t really charged a $300 fee, he was charged for what aren’t going to be cheap tickets in the first place and then was charged a service fee on top of that. The anoying part is that he’d have to do the math to figure out what fee he was charged (assuming he knows what the actual ticket price was).

14. gmss0205 says:

For a game that will be 2-1 (neither team can score) – is it really worth that kind of money to go?

15. chasehamels says:

@gmss0205: in short “no”

16. Sandburgh says:

Pearl Jam is spinning in its grave.

17. MaxSmart32 says:

@DeepFriar: I’m not trying to blast you, but after reading Goodwin’s Law…I totally agree.

Its like voting on the Worst Company poll…I always vote for the company that physical harmed people…anything else pales in comparison.

18. billbillbillbill says:

I hate these electronic fees. This obviously is a little different but why does it cost more to make it easier for a company. Most movie theaters charge a 75 cent fee for buying tickets online. Remember full service gas stations. You paid extra to have someone fill your tank up or you could go to self service, pay less but do it yourself. Why is this backward today. If I do it myself, I get charged a fee but if I use a live person, I save money. Well, thats my rant for today

19. swags says:

Looks like an attempt to circumvent ticket resale laws to me.

20. DeepFriar says:

@maxforrest32: let’s hug it out

21. Orv says:

@billbillbillbill: For some reason that comment made me flash back to when gas stations used to charge extra if you wanted to use a credit card.

22. justrick says:

DIE, TICKETMASTER, DIE!! I HATE TICKETMASTER! There, I feel a little better about the $17 in “convenience charges” I just paid for Flight of the Conchords tix. What an unbelievable crock.

23. vastrightwing says:

Today’s economy: charge more money for do-it-yourself convenience!

24. new_commentator says:

@Orv:
    The credit card companies no longer allow retailers to do that. Even though the retailers should be able to do so to recoup the 3% fee the credit card company charges them.

25. Buran says:

@tande: I think it’s deliberate so they can advertise low ticket prices, then make it up elsewhere. Kind of like how some ebay sellers scam you with low prices and high shipping/handling fees.

26. Rupan says:

@new_commentator: Actually a few gas stations near my house have started doing this again. I was out an about last weekend and it said 3.27 for cash and 3.33 for credit.

27. ReggieDunlop says:

ticketmaster’s most bogus policy is that they will ship, via usps, tickets for free but charge a $2.50 fee to allow me to print my own tickets on my printer.

So the less work you do the more I pay? Sounds like a governmental organization.

28. Zimorodok says:

@vastrightwing: I’m sure the surcharge for self-checkout kiosks at the supermarket is right around the corner.

29. ErinWilso says:

I’ve had this same charge on three different sets of tickets that I’ve purchased through Ticketmaster in the last month. But the charge isn’t actually on the card. It just shows up when I go to print out the tickets (after paying the “convenient” $2.50 for the privilege). It must just be a glitch somewhere.

30. petrarch1608 says:

After Scientology Anonymous should go after Ticketmaster

31. petrarch1608 says:

After scientology anonymous should go after ticketmaster

32. chrisjames says:

@Buran: But that’s bait-and-switch, or at least a very close cousin.

Actually, it’s clear that that’s the case, and that even the smallest of fees are bait-and-switch dupes, but they keep getting away with it.

33. @gmss0205: No, no, the Rangers can score just fine. It’s the Devils who have no offense. Wednesday’s 4-1 Rangers win is evidence of that.

Back to your regularly scheduled Consumerist thread…

34. howie_in_az says:

Ugh, my fiance and I were just looking at a certain airline for an upcoming trip to The Frozen Tundras of the North, and the airline wants to add a $9.50 convenience charge for ordering tickets via the web. Ironically, dealing with a human at the airport and buying tickets that way does not incur such a charge, even though the human has to be paid hourly and all that.

35. swags says:

@chrisjames: Sooner or later some young prosecutor with political aspirations will get on that.

36. ElizabethD says:

Yeah. I just sold out and bought two tickets to the Raconteurs in Boston in June, via Ticketmaster. The tickets were a fairly reasonable $35 each, but with all the fees I paid over $100 total.

However, Jack White is worth it. I think.

37. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Can I vote for them for worst company yet?

@JustaConsumer: I think round three is still open for voting. The link is at the end of the post.

38. Metropolis says:

WOo Hoo. Ill be at this game. I drop down and say hello to him.

39. humperdinck says:

You can’t put a price on convenience.

40. suzapalooza says:

they also auction off tickets on their website to shows they claim are sold out. how is this legal? (concert in question: michael buble kansas city march 7)

41. marsneedsrabbits says:

Mr. Burns: And to think, Smithers, you laughed when I bought Ticketmaster. [imitating Smithers] “Nobody’s going to pay a 100% service charge”.

Smithers: It’s a policy that ensures a healthy mix of the rich and the ignorant, sir.

42. Byzantine says:

I despise Ticketmaster. I had a big problem with them a few years go. I purchase tickets for a concert at least a week or so in advance. They said I would receive the tickets in time for the concert. Well, there I was, the day before the concert and no tickets. I spent hours on the phone with customer support. I was finally assured the tickets would arrive the next day so that I could attent the concert that night. Sure enough, the tickets came. But I have no idea how they were promptly able to make the tickets magically appear at my house like that. Nonetheless, the tickets should have been there before the day of the concert anyway.

Everytime I have to go through Ticketmaster to get tickets for something, I lement it. I recently purchased tickets through them again, and I got charged a “processing fee” as well as a “convenience charge.” I’m no dummy, so I know that those are just euphamisms for “extra vacations and Christmas bonuses for the CEOs fees”.

I wish there was a larger competitor to Ticketmaster to help lower prices.

43. Optimus says:

@swags:
    DingDingDingDing!!!

We have a winner!

44. MissPeacock says:

Yeah, I bought two tickets for a show that “cost” twelve bucks each. By the time I was done with my order (including printing them myself at home), my total was over sixty dollars.

45. Mr. Gunn says:

Definitely an attempt to circumvent something, pricing the tickets at zero and loading up the convenience charge.

I hope they broke some law and get their asses sued off.

46. @Optimus: I think so.

Is this screenshot from Ticketmaster? I don’t think it is. Why?

1: It doesn’t look it.
    2: Those are $100 tickets.
    3: The game is sold out.
    4: Ticketmaster’s convenience charge is $5.75 for game 4.

These are resold tickets. $327 is the current street price.

47. RumorsDaily says:

Sounds like every single Ebay seller I’ve ever dealt with.

48. Sixxtwo says:

Went to Endfest Seattle last year for Social D, Against Me! and Smashing Pumpkins.

$40 per ticket x2 = $80. After bullsh|t charges from Ticketbastard $114.89

(left before SP, because w/o James and Darcy; Billy is just using the name for $$$)

/endrant

49. yamahagrand says:

@Michael Belisle: You may be on to something.

In any event, it makes my 168% markup seem less than relevant.

50. @yamahagrand: You’re right that bona-fide scalpers do make Ticketmaster look “ehhh… not so bad” by comparison: at least TM is nice enough (if you’re buying pricey tickets) not to scale their convenience fees proportionate to the face value of the ticket.

And despite appearances to the contrary, I’m not actually the resident TM sympathizer here or anything. I’m the Best Buy sympathizer.

51. LUV2CattleCall says:

If Godwin’s law is for nazi’s then what’s the law for gay jokes?

@pmathews:

Gaydwins law?

52. boston515 says:

Wow, Raffi is still around. I saw him in concert with my parents when I was five-years-old…in 1990.