These Headlines Are Getting Repetitive: AA Cancels 570 More Flights

American Airlines has canceled 570 more flights today, upping their total number of cancelled flights (this week) to A BAZILLIONTY. (Ok, 3,000.)

American Airlines says the “disruptions” will continue at least through tomorrow, and American’s CEO says he’s taking “personal responsibility” for the mess.

“I run the company,” Mr. Arpey told reporters at an afternoon news conference, “so if there’s any blame to be had, it is my fault, and I take full responsibility for this.”

We hope that tactic works out better for Mr. Arpey than it did for David Neeleman of JetBlue.

Meanwhile, Flickr Pool member kevinq2000 sent in the above shot of unused American MD-80s being stored on a runway.

American Airlines Cancels Another 570 Flights
[NY1]
American Airlines CEO takes blame for maintenance errors, disrupted flights [Dallas Morning News]
(Photo:kevinq2000)

Comments

1. DeafChick says:

Frontier Airlines filed for Bankruptcy.

2. Traveshamockery says:

It’s to the point now where I can’t tell apart each round of flight cancellations – what I think is reprinted news is actually a new round of cancellations.

3. gmss0205 says:

Faster to drive

4. BlondeGrlz says:

That is such a crap statement. Does he plan to personally speak with and resolve every customer’s complaint? Is he going to personally reimburse them for their wasted time? No. I hope he does get fired.

In other headlines, I’m taking personal responsibility for pie. All the blame for pie belongs on me.

5. Half Beast says:

Only 6000 more flights until hilarity ensues…

6. Franklin Comes Alive! says:

If all their MD-80s were passing inspections, would they be cancelling this many flights? I doubt it. It would be interesting to know how many of them are failing. My guess is more than a few, but I doubt AA will ever admit this willingly.

7. SaveMeJeebus says:

It’s nice that they let these aircraft go for 18+ months. I guess it is good timing to make it look as if the FAA is cracking down.

8. katylostherart says:

do the math on the cost of an average ticket per class on a boeing 757 flight from jfk to lax and you’ll get pissed off. include all staff on the plane and four clerks at the desk. the baggage handlers are paid by the airport not the airline. they pay rent and hanger fees. use high estimates on what everyone you actually come into contact with on any given flight high estimates of tickets on “cheap” days and times and you will be seriously pissed off if you do it right.

i’ve now cemented the idea in my head that corporations should have to submit accounting summaries and justify expenses to any customer who asks, not just shareholders.

also my car vs a plane trip cost of each mile in gas.

$.16 plane : $.11 car

9. Great sahot, Kevinq2000!

I hope Mr. Arpey uses this time to reflect on what a mess he’s made of the lives of Flight Attendants and Flight Crews who have taken massive and repeated pay cuts over the past six years.

Perhaps he’ll also ponder how tough it must be to be asked to take vacation time because your employer has created a situation in which you cannot do your job.

Nah. Arpey’s just gonna go get another Don Johnson haircut.

10. STrRedWolf says:

OT: I heard the Frontier Air bankruptcy news, but thankfully it’s not a total shut-down. They needed some protection while they kept operating and possibly sue their credit card handlers for screwing with their cash flow.

11. OK, so the real question is how many flights are left, no?

12. BigElectricCat says:

@katylostherart:

The airlines already do that. Look up the airline of your choice and add the terms “CASM” or “RASM” to your search.

CASM = Cost per Average Seat-Mile

RASM = Revenue per Average Seat-Mile

The information’s out there, but most passengers never bother to look for it.

13. bostonguy says:

But what we all want to know is, is Mr Arpey taking it very seriously?

14. moore850 says:

The theory I keep hearing is that AA is actually faking the mechanical problems in order to ground planes so they can get federal assistance to achieve some kinda fiscal solvency faster.

15. JenH says:

American is responsible for their own problems here, but the FAA bureaucracy is definitely a contributing factor. The FAA makes the military look like the model of efficiency.

My brother-in-law is a private aircraft mechanic. It is not uncommon for him to have to deal with hours of paperwork for a 15 minute repair. He nearly lost his license last year when an FAA inspector accused him of not performing an FAA mandated maintenance. It took more than 6 months and thousands of dollars in lawyer fees to convince to the FAA that the inspector didn’t know what he was talking about. That particular mandate that wasn’t performed? It was for a completely different model of aircraft.

*the baggage handlers are paid by the airport not the airline.*

Where did you get that info?!?! My husband is a baggage handler and he and all the other baggage handlers are employed by the airlines. Skycaps are employed by the airports – but they aren’t baggage handlers.

16. smoothtom says:

Air travel is a dying industry.

17. robdew2 says:

These headlines are getting repetitive?

18. BigElectricCat says:

@moore850:

I don’t buy that idea. The other large carriers would be more than happy to pick up the excess capacity. All of them have reserve aircraft that have been mothballed within the last few years; it’d take a few weeks to get them out of storage and properly maintained, but Delta, United, Continental and Northwest would love to have the extra business (I’d wager).

19. kamikasee says:

@katylostherart:

But that doesn’t factor in the difference in time between flying and driving. You can only average 60 MPH on the road, and 600 MPH in the air. Even if you add 2 hours for waiting at the airport, you’ll save 4 hours on a 400 mile trip. Even if you only value your time at $10/an hour, that’s another $0.10/mile in opportunity cost that you save by flying.