Tax Tip For Lazy People: How To Get An Extension On Your Income Taxes

Your taxes are due. You haven’t done them. Let’s face it. You’re not going to do them on time.
You need an extension.

Don’t worry, it’s not the end of the world. It will, however, affect you in the following ways:

1. It may delay your stimulus rebate.

2. It will not delay the deadline for paying taxes if you owe them.
  3. It will make you grouchy and stressed out until October 15, the new deadline.

As you can see, you should really just file your taxes on time. If you can’t, allow us to introduce you to your new best friend — IRS Form 4868 (PDF). Enjoy!

IRS Urges Taxpayers To e-file Extension Requests by April 15 Filing Deadline [IRS]

Comments

1. ConsumptionJunkie says:

Tax Cat Sez….

I can haz interest and penaltiez?

2. ExtraCelestial says:

Ugh I’m so over taxes. Turbo Tax does. not. work. According to them I owe $1100 when I’m a full time student and last year I RECEIVED over $700 back and nothing has changed. I’m on the outs with my accountant friend and I’d really hate to do it but I’m just going to have to make an H&R trip tomorrow :o(

My taxes are sooo easy too but I can’t figure out how to claim full time student status on Turbo.

3. mac-phisto says:

@TinkishDelight: before you hit the block, consider [www.taxactonline.com.] free & pretty freaking easy to use.

4. goodywitch says:

My Dad’s an accountant, and every year he fills out one of these :-/
    For years I thought that taxes were due in October

5. stanfrombrooklyn says:

You know who else was so over taxes? That naked dude from Survivor who’s now naked in the jug.

6. IPingUPing says:

Yup, that’s a government form. 1/4 page of form, 3 3/4 pages of instructions.

Part I-Identification
    Enter your name(s) and address.

Really? How many people miss that? Never mind, I don’t really think I want to know

7. rdm says:

I wish tax cat could direct me to an e-file extension for people who make more than $54k that is still free :)

8. georgi55 says:

@rdm: you just publicly posted that you are a douche.

9. Coles_Law says:

I’m a college student as well. There isn’t a full-time student box. It sounds like TurboTax thinks you are a dependent this year, whereas last year you were not. Also, check which education credit it is applying- the approx. $2000 credit difference may be a result of not being eligible for the “awesome” credit (only avail. to fresh/soph., I think), and their failure to apply (or your inelegibility for) the “decent” education deduction.

Full disclaimer: I am not a CPA, or even an accounting major (if the reference to the “awesome” credit didn’t tip you off). Good luck!

10. rdm says:

Sorry, why’s that, georgi? Is it because I don’t want to pay for filing a 1/2 page form?

11. rdm says:

@georgi55: Never mind. I see “douche” is your “catch-all” insult so I’m good.

12. Chongo says:

anyone know of a good way to pay them online once they have been filed?

difficulty = free service

I went to the link provided a few days ago and clicked on the “Click here if you have filed but have not yet received a bill” button and filled out the info. Every time no matter what I get a “Error in the form” message.

I will call them soon (and I hear they have really good customer service) but I was just curious if there is a quicker online sollution.

13. Crazytree says:

I always file my taxes in February as soon as I get my 1099′s.

it’s easier just to get it over with.

14. acasto says:

I’m still waiting on my K1s for my family business. I just went ahead and got all my personal stuff prepared and plugged in some numbers I knew on Schedule E to determine if I would owe or get a rebate, from that data I was able to file and extension and will be able to finish and file them in about thirty minutes once I get the rest of my stuff.

15. Dustbunny says:

Tax cat is not amused by ur procra…proca…putting things off until the last possible minute!

16. PølάrβǽЯ says:

The deadline only applies if you OWE the IRS money. And if you owe the IRS money at the end of the year, you’re doing something wrong anyway. Make sure your employer is withholding enough from your paycheck, or make sure your business is making decent quarterly payments.

17. SCROTUS says:

Everybody listen to me real carefully: DO NOT PAY FEDERAL TAXES. If everyone refused, they’d be over a barrel and world peace and happiness would ensue. Good. Wow, that was easy, wasn’t it? Happy peace and freedom!

18. Kajj says:

@SCROTUS: Wow, that is just bottomlessly stupid.

19. rjhiggins says:

@TinkishDelight: Not to blame you, but TurboTax is a breeze for simple returns like yours. You don’t need an accountant. Just find someone with a decent mind for these things, and TurboTax will do the rest.

20. olivia2.0 says:

@aaron8301: That is a baseless statement. You can’t say that EVERYONE who owes the IRS money is doing something wrong. Ridiculous.

21. RandomHookup says:

@aaron8301: Gee, I’ve always heard it was the other way around. Uncle Sam pays lousy interest, that’s for sure.