Kitchen Distributors Of America Closes All Chicagoland Stores Right After You Tear Out Your Cabinets

This is sad. Mike Evans took some time off of work so he could tear out his old kitchen cabinets last week, only to discover that the new ones he’d ordered from Kitchen Distributors of America probably weren’t coming and that he might be out $4,000. All of the chain’s Chicagoland stores have abruptly closed and no one seems to know why.

Representatives with KDA and its owner, Design Ventures, were not available for comment Thursday. A regional manager for KDA said he couldn’t comment on the store closings or the status of customer orders.

Evans said he used his tax refund to make the down payment for the cabinets, which he ordered in early March.

“My cabinets were supposed to be in two weeks ago,” Evans said Thursday. Signs posted at stores instructed customers to call KDA, where they were greeted with a recorded message telling them “an effort will be made to return all calls within 48 hours.” Evans said he did get a return call Thursday from a KDA employee, who couldn’t tell him why the stores closed or whether he’d see his costly cabinets.

The Sun-Times found another KDA customer who was out $13,000 for cabinets that they’d paid for in full. The newspaper wasn’t able to figure out what was going on with the retailer, but Evans said he got a hold of someone at their corporate office who said they were “having trouble with a supplier.” Yikes.

Any readers have unfulfilled orders with KDA?

KDA customers paid deposits but haven’t seen orders, refunds [Sun-Times] (Thanks, Jim!)

Comments

1. LetMeGetTheManager says:

They are scamming all of these people out of everything but the kitchen sink…

Wait…they probably have taken that too…

2. Jthmeffy says:

those better be some nice goddamn cabinets.. lol

3. Falconfire says:

Who the hell pays for cabinets in FULL?

Or anything when it comes to construction?

Construction and home improvement is one of the most scammy sectors to deal with. If the people your working with refuse a partial payment, you move on, no matter how good the price. And you never offer payment in full yourself.

4. SuffolkHouse says:

Yesterday people criticized the family that stopped payments on their home – calling them lazy, disgusting, and wished they’d be moved into a homeless shelter. I wonder if people will spew the same bile against the people who stopped delivery on these cabinets. Corporation plays by the rules, and little different than little Nazis, they just follow orders. They aren’t to blame. Homebuyer plays by the rules to his family’s advantage, and people wish the absolute worst on him, his spouse and his children.

To shame!

5. ThunderRoad says:

Time for a bigass chargeback ASAP.

6. tgeorge73 says:

All East coast stores (PA and NJ) closed too (day after Chicago stores). I fortunately(?) am only out counters as my cabinets were delivered the end of February. I have been waiting through 2 cancelled appointments for counter templating. Each time I was told to contact KDA about why the countertop company could not come out. I now realize that KDA was not paying their bills! I contacted my financing company about trying to recoup the funds for the counters. Calls from the former counter companies yielded a willingness to complete my order, but for payment (at original contracted pricing). KDA Corporate does appear to be returning calls within 2 days, but states that there is no info at this time and they are in discussions with legal and financial councils… I guess I am glad to hear I am not alone…

7. MBirchmeier says:

Skybus, KDA, I wonder with all of these companies folding overnight and saying oops, we have no money, so you don’t get yours back, customers will start requiring Cash on Delivery again for goods.

-MBirchmeier

8. EE2000 says:

I hope he used a Credit Card

9. CRNewsom says:

@SuffolkHouse: The family from the story yesterday wasn’t playing by the rules, and that was the problem. Playing by the rules would have been contacting the mortgage company informing them of their decision to not pay, then moving. They were living in a house they did not own or intend to pay for, that’s called squatting, and I believe it’s illegal.

As far as companies who close their doors overnight and steal peoples money are concerned, it’s time to get the torches and pitchforks.

/or shotguns, in my case

10. satoru says:

@ThunderRoad: But if a company goes into receivership, I wonder if a charge back would even work? Also a lot of renovation companies don’t even take credit cards for deposits or payment because they get slammed for fraud as well.

11. pinkbunnyslippers says:

@SuffolkHouse: Huge difference in the article about illegal squatters and this family. Where do you draw any semblence of a comparison?

This is sad – businesses go down the tubes everyday, and it’s unfortunate this happened. I concur re: the Chargeback ASAP!!

12. unklegwar says:

why would you tear out the old ones if the new ones are LATE?

13. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@ThunderRoad: Word. In fact, that’s all that is missing from the photo: a thought balloon coming from the kid that says, “Chargeback motherf—er!”

Look at her face, you know she’s thinking it.

14. MaxSmart32 says:

@SuffolkHouse: Again with the Nazi reference…KDA might be a horrible company for stealing money and absconding into the night, but they did NOT KILL ANYONE. Everyone, please stop with the Nazi references.

15. WhirlyBird says:

@maxforrest32: Comment Nazi.

16. SuperJdynamite says:

@maxforrest32: “Everyone, please stop with the Nazi references.”

I agree. Nazis are never germane to the topic at hand.

17. Aphex242 says:

@SuffolkHouse: Godwinned in 4 posts. Is that some kind of record?

[en.wikipedia.org]

18. warf0x0r says:

Chargeback?

19. beavis88 says:

@SuffolkHouse: Same bile. Same exact bile.

20. smoothtom says:

I recently removed some cabinets, stripped them, painted them, and was delighted that 30-year-old, formerly brown cabinets looked all new and shiny. I didn’t have to “tear” them out; I just removed a few long screws and eased them off the wall.

Not saying what happened to this family was okay in any way, shape, or form, however.

21. cookmefud says:

@SuperJdynamite:

“germans!? the G-D germans got nothing to do with it!!” <—-obligatory smokey and the bandit quote.

22. MaxSmart32 says:

@cookmefud: Perfect!

23. Orv says:

When a company tells you, “we’re having trouble with our supplier,” you should always mentally tack on “because we haven’t paid them in two months.” This is one of the oldest excuses in the book.

24. wickedpixel says:
  25. rekoil says:

@satoru: In my experience, chargebacks do work even if the vendor goes bankrupt.

26. @Falconfire: From my expreience, many stores require you to pay in full: HomeDepot, Lowes, and apprarently Kitchen Distributors.

Plus, many folks think that while they have the money, spend it. Because if you pay 50% you might not still have the cash when the balance is due.

27. econobiker says:

Sounds like the owner Mars Equities, Inc is bailing out of the business…

INVESTORS PURCHASE ASSETS OF KITCHEN DISTRIBUTORS OF AMERICA
    05/05/2004
    ITASCA, IL — (BUSINESS WIRE) Kitchen Distributors of America, Inc. announced the sale of substantially all its assets to Mars Equities, Inc., a privately held corporation with various holdings in real estate and operating businesses focused on the distribution of diverse product lines.
    The sale to Mars Equities, Inc. will preserve the legacy of the KDA brand and maintain the operations of this 45-year-old full line distributor of kitchen cabinets, countertops, appliances and plumbing fixtures to homeowners, builders and contractors in the Chicago and Philadelphia metropolitan areas. With 16 showrooms and two warehouses, the company assists its commercial and retail customers in designing, purchasing and installing kitchen and bath products.

28. LogicalOne says:

FWIW, I bought KDA cabinets about 19 years ago. The cabinets were (and still are) high quality. KDA, up until now, has a good reputation in the Chicagoland area. It troubles me that posters are now automatically branding them scammers and nazis.

Give the company a few days to sort things out. There’s probably a lot of chaos going on if a bankruptcy is in the works. I’ll bet by then the OP will either have his cabinets or a refund. At least he’ll have an answer other than, “We don’t know.”

29. humphrmi says:

@LogicalOne: Companies go from top-shelf to scammer status very quickly, and it’s their own fault.

If anyone gives money to a company and doesn’t receive their product, that company is a scammer.

Too bad. KDA used to be a great cabinet company in Chicago. My parents did their kitchen with KDA. But I won’t risk my hard-earned money on them. Scammers are scammers. If they can’t deliver, they shouldn’t take the money, and if they go into bankruptcy their customers will get pennies on the dollar. If that’s the case, they should have stopped taking people’s money a while ago.

30. Jon Parker says:

@rekoil: Did you get your money back from Montgomery Wards?

31. Major-General says:

@maxforrest32: Huzzah!

32. SuffolkHouse says:

@CRNewsom:
    Problem is, you are wrong. It isn’t illegal until they’ve been informed to vacate. After that point, they are still given something around 60 days to vacate. They hadn’t been, so their behavior wasn’t yet actionable.

Wrong, wrong, and uh, wrong.

Plus, they were well within their rights not to pay. Moreover, it seemed like they knew well the repercussions, otherwise they would have spent the money.

33. Ben Popken says:

Chris writes:

“Interesting to see this again. I was there when KDA went bankrupt and sold the company to mars. A group of us left and started Pearl Design Group about 4 years ago. If you have customers have them call us we be willing to give them a contractors discount!

Christ Koumoundouros
    Pearl Design Group, LLC & Lakewood Counter Top

170 Covington Drive

Bloomingdale IL 60108
    ckoum@pearldesigngroup.com
    Voice: 630-295-8401 ext.222
    Fax: 630-295-8609″

34. mbes says:

I feel for this couple. There was (until about 2 weeks ago) a KDA in Pennsauken, NJ. I paid a deposit of over $400 dollars for two cabinets, they closed overnight and now are not returning calls before 3-5 business days.

Some tips if this happened to you:
    contact a collections attorney if it’s over $1,000, it’s worth it to go to court. You’ll need as much documentation as you have and need to have the lawyer sent a demand letter for payment of non-delivered goods. What is probably happening is that the company is going bankrupt. You may be able, eventually, to get listed as a debtor in court, but it may not be worth the expense. Otherwise, you may have some options of claims courts or most likely a refund from your bank/credit card company if you used a debit/credit card.