Geek Squad Soaks Your Computer, Blames You

waterapplesmallStill think using Geek Squad to repair your computer isn’t such a bad idea? That’s what reader Nicole thought when she took her laptop in for a warranty covered repair. The laptop was sent off to a service center, “repaired”, then sent back. She immediately noticed it had the same exact problem and sent it back 48 hours later. This time, she was told the warranty wouldn’t cover it, as the Blue Screen of Death was now being caused by water damage. Nicole pointed out that there wasn’t water damage the first time it was repaired for the exact same problem two days ago. Geek Squad responded by quoting her $775 for the repair. The details, below.

UPDATE: Geek Squad Replaces Soaked Computer For Free

Best Buy ruined my computer.
Big surprise right?

Over a month ago my computer suddenly started having blue screens and when I would try to start it up it would give me an lsass.exe error. Well I brought it in to geek squad because it was still under warranty and they shipped it out to their service center. It came back with a new keyboard and a repaired dc jack, and they said all the internal hardware was fine-it was just a corrupt user account. They made a new account. I brought it home and the exact same thing happened, same error at startup. So I brought it back after having it 48 hrs and they shipped it out again. This time I get a call saying its liquid damage and the motherboard was affected and it will be 1st call: $730; 2nd call:$740; 3rd call: $775 to repair. They had also made a note on the previous repair that there was NO liquid damage internally. So, after having it briefly and not spilling anything on it how did this happen? And why would the EXACT same problem happen when before it was just a corrupt user account and now it is a $700-something repair? This “liquid damage” had to have happened on their end whether in shipping or at the repair center. I’ve talked to the Geek Squad supervisor at the store I went to (who was very nice and thought the problem was ridiculous also), filed an escalation report, and talked to the customer service supervisor at 1-888-Best Buy. No one can do anything, no one can override the service center. I now have to get my broken computer shipped back to me with no repairs after being without it over a month.

Just thought I would add another story to the Geek Squad/Best Buy list, if there gets to be enough of them maybe they’ll decide to change their service.

Nicole

Nicole, don’t buy for a second that “no one can override the repair center”. Unless you’ve got one of those special repair centers staffed by the Board of Directors themselves, there’s always someone in a position of authority to countermand the grunts on the ground. They just don’t want to talk to you. Luckily, you have access to the internet, a phone, and this lovely article on How To Mind Control Customer Service Reps. Keep dialing until you get someone who will listen.

(photo:photoMarkR)

Comments

1. Rachacha says:

When the OP goes back to pick up her computer should ask the techs to SHOW (not just tell)her where the liquid damage is. There is probably a 90% chance that there is none, and a 10% chance that the repair tech actially spilled something on the PC.

• Rena says:

It is also possible that it was water damage the first time and they just didn’t notice (and that may well have corrupted the account among other things). This being Geek Squad though I don’t really want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

2. wow, it doesn’t even seem like it was a hardware issue to start with.

3. homerjay says:

“They had also made a note on the previous repair that there was NO liquid damage internally.”

This sounds fishy to me. Why would they make that kind of note before liquid damage was even brought up?? Did they also mention that it didn’t apper that there was damage due to lightning strike or rhino stampede?

I wonder if this girl also forgets that she put the Pepsi under her cart.

• DcChick says:

Are you seriously defending Best Buy?

I sent tons of work machines to Dell for blown capacitors. When I got those machines back from Dell there was a check list the monkeys at the outsourced repair centers had to follow, one of the very first on the list was “WATER DAMAGE”. The tech said No, then nothing. Or yes, with some sort of explanation.

4. K-Bo says:

@homerjay: I think checking for water damage is standard operating procedure, since from what I hear, even living somewhere humid can make those little strips show as having been wet, and the company gets to keep money they would have had to spend doing covered repairs if they declare water damage.

5. quail says:

I hate dealing with warranty issues and would prefer to pay the extra in the beginning for having the techs repair things at my house.

This case also outlines why desktops are preferable to laptops. Yea, you can’t carry them around but when there’s a problem they’re much easier to fix yourself. At the very least your neighborhood Geek could handle it.

6. cheviot says:

As a repair technician myself, I’ve found that about half of the liquid spill damage claims made by repair centers disappear when asked to prove it’s there.

That being said, unless the technician was visually inspecting the motherboard for replacement when the laptop was being repaired the first time its very likely the technician would NOT have seen liquid spill damage. Liquid spills generally just leave a film on the motherboard and some discolored contacts, not something you’d notice unless you were specifically looking for it. Visual inspection of the part for physical and liquid spill damage is generally one of the last steps before the part is replaced, so unless the damage is severe and obvious such damage is often not noted until the part is just about to be replaced.

• That_One_Idiot says:

If you’re a technician, you should know that a lot of electronics have a strip hidden somewhere in there that will get a red stripe when it comes in contact with liquid. These are commonly found on batteries. I’m not defending Best Buy or OP. I used to work for Best Buy, and something about this story does not sound right. Either OP is lying, or Best Buy’s Service Center screwed up again.

Best Buy’s Geek Squad Service Center is absolutely awful, and they would screw up all time, so I wouldn’t doubt the tech overlooked the water damage the first time, or is just lying about it.

Either way, the In-Store tech shouldn’t have sent it out without running an in-store diagnostics anyway. That’s if it was just a BSOD, that is usually OS Corruption, virus, bad hdd, or bad memory all of which can be done in the store.

7. wicwas says:

I had this same problem with a brand new HP laptop. It arrived inoperable and I sent it back and was told it was water damage. Nothing I said made a dent and they quoted a price to have it repaired. What did work was sending a registered letter to the president of the company. THAT got a response within a few days, and my computer was shipped back and repaired free of charge. Go to the top and make no bones about your unhappiness with this situation and how it will impact your future buying habit.

8. Blinker says:

@cheviot: I agree. Also there would be no reason for them to not repair it under water if there WASNT liquid damage as they get paid for the labor to install the warranted part as well as the part. Now what may have happened if the OP didnt spill something on it herself or sit it on the wet floor of her car is the package may have gotten wet via UPS, in which case a damage claim needs to be filed.

9. Mark says:

Sweet! They used one of my images! :)

10. jamar0303 says:

Oh wow. I interned for Best Buy in the Geek Squad before- at the store I interned at this would have been absolutely unacceptable.

11. Blinker says:

Also I used to work for them as well and they CANNOT override the estimate. The only thing that the store WOULD be able to do is approve the estimate and pay for the repairs out of the store funds, which rarely happens due to the huge P&L hit. That being said I haven’t looked at the laptop but generally with a LSASS error and BSOD it sounds like the problem was likely a software issue and there was no need to send it out. Some of the new Vundo spyware variants have been causing LSASS errors lately

12. It sounds like the first tech didn’t know how to fix the problem, and decided to ignore it. It sounds like the second tech didn’t know how to fix the problem, so he “made up” a problem. Not knowing the computer was just looked at a few days ago. He most likely thought you were stupid.

13. SegamanXero says:

and to think when I finish with colledge getting my Comp TIA A+ cert i was gonna go apply for geek squad….

• Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

Why? They treat their techs like dirt, they treat the customers worse, and you’re overqualfied.

14. wdnobile says:

isass.exe is part of the user account security system. Its also previosuly been ID’d as a known vulnerabilty. Id run an antivirus or reinsall windows. of course, that wont fix the parts they broke.

15. CRNewsom says:

This sounds suspiciously like a sasser worm to me. That makes it a software issue, not a hardware one. It may be doable to reinstall windows, but, when this happened to me, I got a new hard drive and installed a fresh copy of the OS. I have never heard from the problem again, and all of my data was recoverable using a $30 2.5″ IDE to USB kit.

I know this isn’t a tech support forum, but Geek Squad should have known to try this. It could have been a nice easy fix for them…

16. r081984 says:

The lsass.exe error could be caused by a virus, bad hard drive, or somehow it just got corrupted.

You could boot off the XP CD and replace the lasass.exe file using the recovery console.

You could do a repair install of XP or just do a fresh install of XP.

Either way Geek Squad has no idea what they are doing and that tech that signed off on your laptop should be in jail for fraud.

17. heavylee-again says:

There aren’t many things I dislike more, or have less respect for, than the GeekSquad, but c’mon people. When are we, as American consumers as a whole, going to learn to stop using the services of companies that continue to screw us over? Sometimes there isn’t much choice (like in a geographic area where Comcast is the only highspeed Internet option), but computer repair? Everyone and their uncle knows someone who can repair issues like a corrupted installation of Windows.

18. CRNewsom says:

I just thought of this: Repair it yourself using parts, if necessary, from a competitor to BB. Then send an email to the store manager (EECB may be used later) telling them how incompetent their staff is. I would do the labor for free if the OP lived near me.

19. redhelix says:

“Nicole, don’t buy for a second that “no one can override the repair center”. Unless you’ve got one of those special repair centers staffed by the Board of Directors themselves, there’s always someone in a position of authority to countermand the grunts on the ground.”

No, really, nobody in the store can override the repair center. Not even the store manager.

I worked for GS for several years, and even though the repair center techs are a batch of incompetent cretins, NOBODY at the store-level can override their say on a repair ticket.

20. henwy says:

Computers are black boxes for most of us. I had an issue recently with a desktop and ended up having to sign up for verizon’s phone tech support for $150. The guy then proceeded to walk me through the problem, a process that would have taken around 20 minutes if I had known anything about computers. I ended up being on the phone with the guy for 3 hours.

21. rtwigg says:
  22. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@segamanxero:

College for a A+ Cert? You’ve got to be kidding me.

23. redhelix says:

@segamanxero: Dude you don’t even need A+ to work for GS.

You don’t even need to go to college for your A+ cert. Jeez, I studied for my A+ at the kitchen table in between episodes of family guy, not a classroom.

• DcChick says:

Amen.

And, if you got suckered into some crappy “college” for a simple A+ cert I don’t know if I want you working on my computer.

• PhantomPumpkin says:

Not everyone learns on their own. Some people retain things much better in a classroom setting, and if you’re implying that because he retains info better that way you wouldn’t want him working on your computer, you’re a fool.

24. citking says:

I had the same thing happen to me at US Cellular once. I had a POS Motorola phone that had a bad charge connector (just a bad design). After a while the phone would not charge unless the charge adapter was propped just perfectly while inside the phone.

I took it in for repair and they told me it’d be up to 3 weeks. I finally got a postcard from them that said “not repaired – liquid damage” accompanied by a blurry, magnified photo of three or four solder points that were a a little darker gray than the surrounding solder points. Upon closer investigation of the picture they had tried to re-solder the connector back on (save a few pennies I guess), failed miserably, then blamed water damage to get out of having to pay for the new phone!

Needless to say I was upset and asked to speak to a manager. The manager looked at the blurry photo and took their side, saying it looked rusty, but that he’d replace my phone for free.

After the last 4 months of my contract expired I switched t Verizon and switched to LG for phones and I haven’t had a single issue since.

25. ogremustcrush says:

The Best Buy service centers do this kind of shit all the time. Even when your working with a nice guy in the store, if its something that has to go to service, the store has lost all power in repairing your problem. I know that when I worked for GS, I would avoid sending anything to service that I could possibly fix in store, but unfortunately for laptops, the only thing authorized for replacement in store is the hard drive, you are unlikely to be able to get any other parts except for the memory, and if you try to charge it to the warranty, it will deny it. Best Buy even had policies saying that store techs weren’t allowed to take apart laptops any farther than the user accessible panels (memory, hard drive, wireless card), and we were also prohibited from updating the BIOS.

I would have to agree with a few of the other commenters in that I would not expect anything to do with lsass.exe to be a hardware failure. Of course, the OP did say that it came back with a new DC jack and keyboard, so maybe the GS guy sent it out for one of those reasons, meaning to fix the SW problem when it got back, but never did. Why you would send it out again for the same SW problem alludes me, however. The only component I could see causing the problem normally might be the hard drive, but if you reformatted the error would certainly change if that was the case. Only whatever files are on the bad sectors are affected, of course.

26. opensight says:

Hey Guys, this is my first post. I would recommend that you contact the Service center and request pictures of the liquid damage. Email or via the return of the damaged laptop. Normally they will return the product unrepaired after 3 calls, With a convienient 24.95 charge. If they there is liquid damage it is on them to prove it. All repairs are warrantied for 90 days. I would also refer to your previous Service order stating no liquid damage. I know they are very busy at the Louisville KY service center and they have a 3 day turntime to compete with. Maybe the diagnoses was “gun-decked”, not to sound harsh but its kind of fishy that the keyboard was replaced and liquid damage wasnt noticed. The charges can be reversed as store wty or to the the PSP (with some clever wording) to prevent a PSP repair rejection to the service center. I would not back off their arses if you do not believe this is liquid damage.

27. Beerad says:

@homerjay: So you’re suggesting that this person is completely lying about what the Geek Squad notes say (which presumably Best Buy can verify) and has duped Consumerist in hopes that the massive groundswell of public pressure that no doubt will result from this post will induce Best Buy to fix her computer under false pretenses? Do I understand that correctly?

Victim-blaming in three. Not a hole in one, but nice shot nonetheless.

28. milk says:

Someone I know took their laptop to a local Austin repair place because it suddenly turned itself off. The business, Mr. Notebook, reported the motherboard was damaged and offered “data recovery” at $100 per hour. I heard her friend (my coworker) talking about it, and asked to bring it home with me. A brief inspection of it from my boyfriend, someone who actually has a Computer Science degree and a conscience, revealed the solder joints on the A/C power connector had been damaged, a typical problem for older laptops. In reality, no “data recovery” was required as the system was found to be completely functional. Solution? Keep the laptop stationary while in use, and befriend a geek.

29. homerjay says:

@Beerad: Occasionally the victim turns out to be wrong. The customer is not always right. But in this case, no, I’ve been corrected already.

30. Counterpoint says:

Why would it need a new keyboard if it was just a software issue to begin with? Maybe there was a small amount of water damage that Best Buy wanted to “ignore” so they could get paid through their insurer for a keyboard install and dc power jack repair, hoping that the water damage wouldn’t cause any issues until much later (if ever). Then they got bit in the behind right away…

31. Solidgun says:

I don’t know why someone that reads Consumerist would willingly take their computer to Geek Squad for any repair……although, my guess is that you bought the service plan and felt that you were forced to use it.

But before the necessity to take your computer to useless tech support, find a friend who is willing to look at the unit to pinpoint the issue prior to sending it in.

32. rabiddachshund says:

@r081984: The one time GS gets a problem fixable by a reinstall, they replace the keyboard. Go figure.

33. backbroken says:

I just built a fantastic system for myself 2 weeks ago for about $550.

34. jchabotte says:

Email Michael.Arrighi@bestbuy.com

He took care of my geek squad issues. I had problems when my laptop was suffering from geek squad ineptitude, and he “junked out” my old laptop and got me credit for a new laptop of equal value to what i paid for my last one.. NOT the depreciated value of a laptop of equal specs to my old one.

35. jmschn says:

“Still think using Geek Squad to repair your computer isn’t such a bad idea?” – Nope, I’ve ALWAYS thought it was a bad idea.

36. MrEvil says:

@no name:
    your boyfriend’s skills aside, having a degree in Computer Science also does not make you qualified to service computer hardware. Last I checked computer science is a PROGRAMMING discipline, not a hardware troubleshooting and repair discipline. Having a degree in computer Science makes you about as qualified to repair PCs as a typical Geek Squad Agent. In fact, they should rename computer Science to “Software Engineering”. Though there are many folks with CS degrees that have gone on to learn hardware troubleshooting and repair on their own.

@backbroken:
    Unfortunately the OP’s system is a NOTEBOOK and not a DESKTOP. Yes, Desktop motherboards are cheap and readily available. However Laptops use custom designs by their respective manufacturers. So you can’t just go to newegg.com and find motherboards for laptops. Sometimes you can luck out and find a motherboard on eBay for cheap if your system is popular and wasn’t expensive to begin with. Otherwise you’re stuck going to Dell/HP/Gateway/IBM for a replacement part. Those companies would much rather you buy a new laptop than repair a broken one.

37. Beerad says:

@homerjay: I appreciate your sincere retraction, but it just pains me that so frequently people will jump to the conclusion that the OP is running a scam (even otherwise perfectly nice and rational posters like yourself).

While there are certainly folks out there who will try and get you to wire funds to Nigeria, will steal iPods from big box stores, and will even purloin soda from the supermarket and lie about it to the media, I’m generally willing to go along with the spirit of Consumerist. If the editors think it’s meritorious, I’m going to assume they got it right. If this site was premised on “we’ll post a bunch of fake articles, and you all should squabble about which ones are real” that would be different, but it ain’t.

I guess this is a long-winded way of saying thanks for your reasonable response and not flaming me 8 ways to Sunday.

38. Ausoleil says:

@MrEvil:

Second that on the comment that a CS degree doesn’t qualify one to be a hardware tech. There’s a big difference between being a programmer and an electronics tech or engineer.

For that matter, most CS guys don’t even make good systems engineers.

39. wackyvorlon says:

This isn’t usually a hardware problem, it’s a software problem. Helpful information here:
    [support.microsoft.com]

I’ve had to fix this problem before, the Microsoft knowledge base has step-by-step instructions for fixing it. The Geek Squad techs are, to put it simpy, incompetent.

40. firesign says:

uhh, lsass.exe is a windows security process. it’s not a hardware problem. it’s most likely that the computer is infected with the sasser virus, of which there are many variations. it seeks to exploit a buffer overflow vulnerability in lsass.exe.
    just another example of totally incompetent “technicians” which, sadly, is a huge problem in the industry. i’ve been fixing computers for almost 20 years, and it makes me sick to see how bad things have gotten.

41. Extended-Warranty says:

This seems like a one-sided story, although I do suspect something didn’t go right.

I work for Geek Squad. The lsass.exe error clearly indicates a software issue. However, since when does a software issue indicate that all the hardware is good? Getting frequent blue screens could also indicate bad hardware. Tests performed in store could have concluded that further repairs were needed.

They wouldn’t do something unethical like cause the damage and try to blame you. Anyone who has any idea who the Chief Inspect is knows he would never stand for such BS. I have seen them mess up units before and they will take the hit for it. Have any of you been to Geek Squad City? No. Cause if you have, you’d see there’s practically no way for them to cause liquid damage to the unit.

42. wackyvorlon says:

@Extended-Warranty:

You need to address one problem at a time. While a blue screen can certainly indicate hardware issues, it most certainly does not indicate a keyboard issue.

If you attempt to fork your efforts, looking for hardware issues before you know the software is stable and functioning normally, you will spin your wheels and get nowhere. You must rule out a software issue before addressing hardware. In this case, the Geek Squad techs appear to have been randomly replacing things in the hope that the fault would go away.

43. shawrob27 says:

i use to work at best buy. i did everything there. i also did computer repair. Dont ever bring your computer in to fix at best buy. Best buy reminded me of a high school. the employees didnt care about the job. If you guys are fortunate to live by a FRYS store go there. I worked there as well–also some idiots but atleast it reminded me of a junior college.

44. Verdigris says:

@Extended-Warranty: “I can’t remember the last time we sent a unit out to service for a repair and they send it back specifically saying there is no liquid damage. If I had to make an educated guess, I’d say the first tech missed the liquid damage. They handle thousands of computers and mistakes are bound to happen.”

That is a contradicting statement. The first tech DID sau there was no liquid damage. So, if you can’t remember the last time a tech sent something back that DID mention that, why would you go on to say that the tech might have just not seen it.

If he states that the laptop did NOT have liquid damage, wouldn’t that mean he did a more thorough check for it?

45. AustinTXProgrammer says:

I had this happen with dell, but after unloading on few poor Indian representatives, they agreed to fix the laptop. Of course this was for a problem that had gone on for 4 months.

Stick with on site warranties, the computer can’t disappear.

46. DjLizard says:

@wackyvorlon: Are you fricking serious? If you start trying to play with software while hardware problems are occurring you are asking for data loss. You have it completely backwards. If you were trying to be facetious then I totally missed it and you can just disregard.

47. redhelix says:

@backbroken: “Nobody has mentioned it yet, but a new motherboard costs $200 tops. You can get a very solid motherboard for under $100. So the $700 sounds like an ‘eff off’ price.”

Uh, no. OEM motherboards in laptops are outrageously expensive and they can’t be replaced with a third-party model.

You also have to account for the labor to repair them. I wouldn’t charge a cent less than $290 to replace a laptop motherboard.

48. Consumer007 says:

I would get a second opinion as to repair cost and sue them in small claims. Serve them very loudly and visibly in the store during peak traffic time. Then see how ‘resaonable’ they become.

49. Consumer007 says:

Oh by the way, i’ve heard of Dell making people stay on the phone for 14 hours or more to fix a problem over the phone…you know, there just comes a point when you start making arrangements to ship a replacement, and accept that the technical problem is NOT in your script, or in the end user’s capability to unscrew everything into pieces and fix…duh.

50. kingdom2000 says:

You know what the difference between me with my comp sci degree and john q average user when it comes to computer problems?

I use google to look up solutions.

Based on the problem description above, she probably could have fixed her own problem.

Seek and you will find and not have a destroyed computer.

51. CitizenOutKast says:

Sorry, but if you read Consumerist and STILL go to Geek Squad, you pretty much get what you deserve.

52. wellfleet says:

@redhelix: As DCI, I can! But that also means that the store would have to eat $775 worth of charges to store warranty. I’ve done it before, doing it for this poor guy with an E-machine now, but it’s a judgment call, and here’s why: people lie. They freakin’ lie through their teeth.
    True story, happened this week, and is extremely similar to the OP’s story. This girl comes to the counter, pissed, saying she just got her unit back two days ago, and now it keeps saying it can’t find her hard drive. I turn the unit over and our ID stickers are light brown and crinkled. I ask her if she spilled something on her computer. She says no. I unscrew the lid, and there’s thick, gooey, brown residue on top of her HDD. I ask her again. She says no. I stick my finger in the goo and lick it off, because I know what spilled Coke smells like, and sure enough, it’s COKE!!! I have to pry out the HDD because the gooey mess made everything stick. I tell her it’s ok because she has accidental damage protection, and she says “oh yeah, I think my brother spilled a Coke on it.” Boom.
    I have heard every lie in the book. Our service center do mess stuff up, they’re people and they do make mistakes which we try and fix. But if you watch House, you know that people lie all the time…

53. gomakemeasandwich says:

@CitizenOutKast:

LOL that’s so true.

I used to work at Worst Buy by the way…shittiest job I ever had. The guy who was supposed to “train” me (train in quotes because he did not do that, he mostly complained about how much sucked and was just miserable about his life) was awful and my boss sucked even more. I quit after three weeks.

I wish that guy that ran http://www.bestbuysux.org hadn’t sold out to Worst Buy. That was the greatest site ever, and I can’t believe how many times I’ve said “that’s happened to me too!” when reading a post by an employee or customer (as I used to be both).

54. x23 says:

@backbroken:

I just built a fantastic system for myself 2 weeks ago for about $550.

i’d LOVE to see some pics of the laptop you built for $550. how did you make the case for it? woodshop?

oh? you didn’t build a laptop? because that is what we are talking about. laptops.

and they don’t have $100-$200 motherboards. willing to bet that is why “nobody has mentioned it yet”. just a hunch.

55. Spontaneous says:

Ok I am a GeekSquad CIA agent currently so I know how everything goes.

1. Yes laptop motherboards are that much. Why? Because we can not put in refuberished parts. We must be new parts. Plus considering you have to get the SAME motherboard to put into laptops because unlike desktops, everything is configured to fit in a small tight space. Everything has to be lined up just right. Just any ol motherboard will not work in laptops. Even with desktops, we have to put motherboards certifed by the manufacture into the computer(such as HPs need certain motherboards as they need to be tattooed to allow restores to be done properly, dell and toshiba do simular things).

2. The lsass error could be caused by several things, but 80% of the time is software related. So seeing as the % of the errors is software related, you gotta try software fixxes first.

3. Looking for liquid damage is one of the last steps before replacing parts. Unless that part is being replaced, liquid damage might not be caught.

4. Customer LIE all the time. Just like the DCI(geeksquad supervisor) that posted above, customers lie all the time until we show them, then they are like ohh yea that might have happened.

5. We NEVER note no liquid damage in service orders. If there was no liquid damage, we would just fix the issues and continue on. Sayying there was a note sayying no liquid damage the first time it went out is a lie. We would not even make notes of that in the first place.

56. backbroken says:

Yes Yes Yes….I read the original post, but after reading through the comments I forgot that the OP was talking about a laptop and not a desktop. Christ almighty. Fuck off.

57. gomakemeasandwich says:

@backbroken:

I have to agree with you. He didn’t need to bust your balls like that and is probably just some jerkoff.

58. Anonymous says:

i have heard so many horror stories about geek squad that i absolutely believe they would stoop so low as to pour water in a customers laptop to be able to shift the cost of the repair out of warranty work to customers fault. we all need to boycott best buy next time go anywhere but there to buy your next new computer. just another example of best buys ripoff policy

59. James Smith João Pessoa, Brazil says:

This is one more story that illustrates why no one should ever shop at Best Buy. They have the worst reputation of any service organization I know. Their “Geek squad” are incompetent liars and often thieves.

I have never had a good experience with best buy but I will never have another bad one.

60. scottd34 says:

This is why if you have to get software issues fixed, go to a local pc shop.

61. MisterAlex says:

Sonuva… that’s an easy 5-minute fix, too…

62. klaviatury says:

Thats sounds like geek squat and this time it came back and bit them for not properly repairing computers. Geek squat has a habit of hiring people off the street to fix their computers for min wage, very often they do not even attempt to repair or even properly diagnose the actual issue. 90% of the time they will just reformat which makes it work most of the time but doesnt assure what caused the issue wont happen again. Analazing the stop error message would have clearly told them where the fault was. I highly doubt geek squat caused the damage since it was the same exact error, but their lack of attemping to fix the pc will cost them. Most of the time you pay them 90 bucks to run a cd for you, i highly doubt water the lLsass.exe Error was being caused by water damage ((idiot tech)oh i see water marks thats the prob)) water is not as bad as society has lead us to believe, or could be a more sinister attempt to hustle more money out of their clients.