Continental is going to charge $25 each way for the privilege of checking a second bag. [Bizjournals]

Comments

1. Good for me- I never check more than one. I hate waiting behind folks who need to bring everything but the kitchen sinks.

2. ConsumptionJunkie says:

This is only for certain fares. Also, certain frequent fliers are exempt.

3. ConsumptionJunkie says:

test

4. letoofdune says:

E tu, Continental?

5. balthisar says:

I just wish they’d charge $25 more per ticket, and return service to the cabin. Hopefully all these bankruptcies will allow the survivors to increase fares a bit. No, I’m not an airline shill, but I fly a lot for business (and not first class, I’m afraid), and the Greyhoundization of our airlines has been depressing. Luckily my next trip is on Aeromexico, where fares are slightly higher, they don’t cater to people that make their decisions based on saving five measly dollars, and the service is still quite excellent. I only wish that my employer’s money were going to a US-based airline, though.

6. taka2k7 says:

@balthisar: I’ve got to agree with you on this one. Just raise the damn prices and call it a day. Throw the fuel charge in with the price of the ticket too.

If it makes them feel better to itemize the price of my ticket then so be it, just don’t nickel and dime me.

Price of ticket should be: cost charged by airline, taxes for airport and federal/state. That’s it. Everything else is on the airline…. in other words, raise your prices!

As for those smug types who don’t check luggage, how’s about you stick to the size limit for carry on baggage? I’m sick of the frequent travelers with the over-sized carry on bags that they insist on putting in the overhead near the front of the aircraft even if they are in the back. That’s not to say that the infrequent traveler’s don’t abuse the rules too.

—-

Having said that, it makes me think about other services we pay for. Sometimes a flat all-inclusive rate makes sense, other times a la carte makes sense.

I guess I’m saying, don’t nickle and dime me for stuff that is reasonably expected to be included. Surplus stuff should be a la carte.

7. AddisonMavenue says:

thats why i only do carry-on

i should get tickets for $25 less for never checking a bag

8. Ecoaster says:

In case you haven’t noticed, airfares on carriers such as Continental ARE incredibly high right now compared to 1-2 years ago.

9. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

I’m waiting for them to start charging by the limb.

“Hello sir, Welcome to Continental..let’s see…2 arms and 2 legs…that’s 4 limbs X $25…that’ll be a $100 surcharge.”

10. LUV2CattleCall says:

Change is: What you get back from a $50 at the ticket counter

11. elijah_dukes_mayonnaise says:

This company likely will be bankrupt by the end of summer.