Sam Adams Recalled Due To Glass Shards Inside Bottles

Sam Adams has recalled some beer due to defective bottles that may contain shards of glass, says the company.

During a routine bottle inspection at one of our breweries, we detected possible defects in a small percentage of bottles resulting in the random presence of bits of glass, most the size of grains of sand, but some small slivers in some bottles as well. Based on this sample, we quickly began testing bottles of Samuel Adams at all of our breweries and identified that the problem appeared to be isolated to a single glass plant of the five that supply us.

We assembled a panel of food safety, medical and packaging experts including a medical doctor who have thoroughly evaluated the samples. People who bite or swallow a fragment could possibly be injured. While the possibility of injury to an individual consumer is very low and the Company has had no reports of any injury, we do know that the risk is not zero, so we are voluntarily recalling all products in bottles from this specific glass plant that we believe could possibly be affected.

If you have any Sam Adams products in your possession, check them to see if they bottles have codes that say “N35″ followed by “OI.” Sam Adams makes lots of products so the list of affected bottles is fairly extensive.

You can click here to enter your bottle code and get further instructions.

Recall [Sam Adams] (Thanks, Jim!)

Comments

1. thetango says:

Tsk tsk … and on Beerversary too :(

2. Walrii says:

How come companies always sugar coat things?

“People who bite or swallow a fragment could possibly be injured.”

I’d be willing to bet that people who bite or swallow shards of glass WILL be injured, no ifs ands or buts about it.

3. Black Bellamy says:

i would love to take that bet with you

your insides are a lot tougher than you think

maybe not your insides tho

4. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

@Walrii: Depends on the size and shape of said glass.

5. ATTSlave says:

Well crap that’s like the 5th case of sam adams i’ve had a problem with. Does anyone happen to have executive contact information for them?

6. Kottles says:

So, that’s why I’m peeing blood….

Fortunately I haven’t consumed the 6-pack in my fridge that is covered by the recall.

7. Crrusher says:

@Walrii:
    no just because u bite or swallow glass doesn;t mean u will be injured.
    they have those people on ripleys believe it or not

8. Kottles says:

Oh, and for those wondering. Here are the instructions after you submit a claim:

Thank you for reporting this product. We will be processing all reimbursement requests over the next 12 weeks. A check will be sent to you at the address provided. In some cases, we may need to contact you for further follow up questions prior to issuing a reimbursement. Your claim # is (edited).
    Please do not contact us regarding your payment prior to Monday, July 07, 2008.

Disposal Instructions:

1. If your product is contaminated, please open and pour out any tainted product down your drain.
    2. Please dispose of the bottles in the trash as you normally would.

9. ganzhimself says:

These bottles must have been made in China.

10. jtheletter says:

Just for the heck of it I checked some of my Harpoon bottles as well since the brewery is in the same area and likely serviced by the same bottle manufacturers.
    **I found the SAME ‘N35 OI” code on my HARPOON bottles.
    It may be possible that these bottles are affected as well, I am going to contact Harpoon regarding this matter and will report back any information I get.

Considering this recall is traced to a bottle manufacturer it’s possible more client companies than just Sam Adams were affected, I suggest checking any brand bottles you have to be sure.

11. crymsen says:

16/24 bottles left… Was 17 last night…

12. DoktorGoku says:

One thing is for certain- thank goodness they put this out there before people were hurt. Trying to diagnose glass shards is incredibly difficult- they often don’t show up on a standard X-Ray.

13. Hoss says:

If there was no other beer in the fridge, would you risk it? Raise hands

14. mgy says:

@Crrusher: Yes, because those appearing on Ripley’s Believe It or Not for the unique purpose of eating glass are a good representative sample of the average beer drinker. Are you on drugs?

15. @Hossofcourse: Honestly? Probably.

16. Snarkysnake says:

Marketing fucked up here.

With clever cutting and re-editing of their current ad,they could have just said, “Now available – Sam Adams Extra Chunky”

Its a product FEATURE if you play it up…

17. Noooooo!!!!! Not my beloved Sammies!

I probably now have about 10 pounds of glass in my GI tract after this weekend.

/I had no idea Ryan O’Reilly and Adebesi worked at Sam Adams.

18. How long until, “Duuude, this is one of the bottles with GLASS in it, dare ya to drink it!” when people find their Sammies have these numbers?

19. D.B. Cooper-Nichol says:

@mgy: Hey, smart guy – he was responding to the guy who said that EVERYONE who swallowed or bit glass would be injured. Nobody ever said anything about a “good representative sample,” or any other Stats 101 terms.

20. chemmy says:

My husband is freaking out because he drank 5 yesterday… (Not to mention the 3 or so the day before….)

All the same bottle code.

Now he’s gonna be asking me if every ache and pain is cause of the bottle recall…. He did not, however, dump any remaining bottles down the sink as directed….. lol

Will be interesting to see about the Harpoon…

21. rutski says:

many of you have swallowed glass before. count on it.

22. cerbie says:

Huh, so I’m going to check this out…after I’ve had four of my last six pack, already…

23. tourpro says:

I immediately went to the fridge to check the 4 remaining bottles of six. Whew.

And now, I’m going to have one now.

How come we can’t get a definitive answer on glass-eating/drinking?

24. failurate says:

I found a shard of glass in a pizza once. Took the piece back to the restaurant, they offered me a free pizza… I told them maybe some other time.

25. pengie says:

Shiat, and I just bought a six pack of Cherry Wheat, too.

Better go check the fridge.

26. Based on this sample, we quickly began testing bottles of Samuel Adams at all of our breweries and identified that the problem appeared to be isolated to a single glass plant of the five that supply us.

Amazing how the wording downplays the issue. One single glass plant out of five. 1 out of 5 is still one out of five. That means one in five bottles has a chance of containing shards of glass. I don’t care how you twist it, that’s just the numbers for you.

27. Wynner3 says:

What the hell are people complaining about? At least they recalled them before they waited for reports of injuries unlike some companies. They stepped up and took care of it quickly.

28. mmstk101 says:

It probably isn’t too big a deal, otherwise they would have assured us that they are “taking the issue of people drinking pieces of glass very seriously”.

Right?

29. MattO says:

i love sam adams…..

30. mduser says:

I’m going to check my MGD to see if they use the same plant.

And wow, no comments from anyone saying “Why are you drinking Sam Adams?” I’m impressed.

31. Anonymous says:

@Papa Midnight: We don’t know what percentage of bottles come from each plant. One plant may supply 75% of their bottles, with the other 4 filling in the remainder.

32. Anonymous says:

@mduser: Sam Adams White Ale is the shiznit

33. Chols says:

@mduser:

lol

34. mduser says:

@Coven: Oh I agree with you, but I was just waiting for a Budweiser fanboy or Guinness lover to come in and give us grief.

35. LUV2CattleCall says:

So how many do I have to deduct from my 99 bottles of beer on the wall to compensate for this recall?

36. KenManiac says:

@mduser: why are you drinking MGD?

i have some Harpoons with the fatal extra roughage code, but the sam site has no option to enter the Poon.

the goog returns only this here page

i do have some pint glasses and a strainer…

37. Ghede says:

They report it with no injuries. Hmm, Either they are lying about it being uncommon, since running it through the recall calculator wouldn’t support that financially if it was, or they are doing the right thing. … I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

38. @Wynner3: I was waiting for the don’t-complain or the blame-someone-else comment. You’re the winner.

39. Techguy1138 says:

@mduser:

SIR! We are beer drinkers. While I do enjoy Guinness more than other brands i would never applaud an action that deprives a man ,or woman, of their favorite brew.

Beer is proof that God loves us.
    -From Sam Adams friend Ben Franklin

40. Beerad says:

This is weak. Once my friend found a large, thick shard of glass in a cheesesteak at our local cheesesteakery. Did that dissuade us from eating there? Of course not; that crap was heart-cloggingly delicious. Didn’t even bother complaining, because it was obviously (hopefully?) a random one-off incident.

41. Javert says:

Is this sad but my first instinct was to buy a strainer.

42. mduser says:

@Techguy1138: Hear Hear! *Raises glass*

43. Aph says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

44. jtheletter says:

@jtheletter: I know it’s a bit late but I did get a response from Harpoon last night regarding my inquiry about their bottles with the same code on them.
    Even though the code indicates the bottles are from the same manufacturer, they are produced using a totally different mold since Harpoon has a custom bottle design. Therefore the incident is isolated from their production lines. So Harpoon is safe, drink away! :)

45. Brine says:

I ran across this quote:

“Samuel Adams is now the manliest beverage in the entire world.”