Man To Receive Office Depot Rebate That Was Falsely Denied

Daniel, whose Office Depot rebate was falsely denied, says he called them back today and his rebate has been approved. His issue has even been escalated so his check will get out faster. Daniel also says that when he sent his complaint in, it wasn’t so much his particular issue that he was upset about, as he felt sure he would be able to successfully get his rebate after sending in the necessary information, but it was really the thought of how many other people there were out there who would end up getting their rebate denied because they didn’t have photographic proof that they had filled out their rebate correctly. He also notes that when he received the denial notice, it only gave him five days to respond. Had it come last week, while he was away on a 12-day trip, he would have lost his chance at rebate redemption. Those are the risks you take when you play the rebate lottery. Like most games of chance, the odds are stacked in favor of the house.

PREVIOUSLY: Office Depot Falsely Denies Man’s Rebate

Comments

1. christoj879 says:

I think that when most people see rebates, they think they send their envelope to some magic place without making copies or even thinking of it and hoping that a surprise check comes in the mail a few months later. If people really knew that (and this is all it takes to make sure you get 100% of your rebates) in addition, you do need to make copies, follow up, and get on every party involved (rebate house, vendor, manufacturer) if need be, there wouldn’t be as many problems.

While I do agree that there are a lot of places that do their best to cause breakage in the system, the form is the form. Follow the directions and you’ll get the money come hell or high water, unless you give up.

2. Neurotic1 says:

OD and their rebates sucks monkey balls! I absolutely refuse to shop there unless they’re giving away something below costs, then, and only then, I walk out with just that item.

3. Amelie says:

@christoj879: Do you realize what you are saying, “If people really knew that in addition, you do need to make copies, follow up, and get on every party involved (rebate house, vendor, manufacturer) if need be, there wouldn’t be as many problems.

This is a scam by the manufacturers! I did refunds when I was a teenager and it was slap on three upcs and get your dollar. For the miniscule few that didn’t come through, you called the company directly and it got taken care of. As I got older, the requirements became more and more ridiculous – so I quit. There is absolutely NO reason people should jump through these hoops. Also, what is going on with these companies now is plain and simple fraud. I never had to deal with that in the past.

4. krunk4ever says:

I’m not sure how many of you thought about from the rebate processor’s point of view. How hard do you think it is to defraud them in trying to get a rebate when you don’t qualify and how many incoming rebates do you think are actually fraudulent. I’m not sure what the real statistics are, but I’ll be you’ll be surprised by how many fraudulent rebate submissions there are.

5. HalOfBorg says:

Rebates suck. I’d outlaw them all. The worst is when you’re in store ‘X’ and there is a mail-in rebate – from store ‘X’.

I don’t know how many times I’ve gone elsewhere and bought something that costs a little more – just to avoid the rebate.

6. BrentNewland says:

@Neurotic1: Hey dip#*it, if OD sucks “monkey balls”, why is it we’re hardly ever on Consumerist? Or getting front page headlines for scandals? Granted, we could be better, but every company could use improvements.

Where did you work again?

7. Pro-Pain says:

Oh, the story got posted on the internet, and we look bad? Send THIS person the rebate. Now decline 1000 others to make up for it. Have a nice scam.

8. FilthyHarry says:

@krunk4ever:
    Maybe you missed the original post. This is a case of the company deliberately trying to screw the customer over. Also noted in the original post, the part I found the most offensive was that the rebate processing company is CONTRACTED to deny a certain % of claims. This means if all the claims that come in are legitimate, the company has to get ‘creative’. Why would this be a contracted issue if the company’s intent was to deal fairly? Fuck the company.

9. Amy Alkon000 says:

Staples rebates are entirely different – built right into your receipt, and have online tracking.

10. there are 2 types of rebates out there in my opinion. Staples Easy Rebates (SER) and all the others.

with SER I just register it (the majority of which is all online, sometimes I have to mail in a UPC if its a rebate from another company but through staples).

Then there’s everyone else. I keep scanned copies of the receipt with UPC on one JPEG, filled out rebate form on other JPEG, and name them both the same thing with 1 and 2 after each name

if after 3-4 weeks I don’t get a notice that my rebate’s been processed or I get an error message in the snail/e mail that there’s a problem I simply refer to my e-file and BAM! Problem has been corrected SER comes hassle free every time, so I don’t need to worry about those.

This is just my methodology/experience and SER’s absolutely kick ass. Keep identical records of everything you mail out and if it’s worth your time and aggravation, you’ll eventually get all the other rebates* (albeit it won’t be pretty)

*Tiger Direct, CompUSA, and Radio Shack rebates do no count, and although and old long running joke, I still participate in their rebates knowing there’s a really good chance I probably won’t see my rebate check back from them any time soon, if ever

11. christoj879 says:

@Amelie: I do realize what I’m saying. The unfortunate truth is that rebates are not easy and are not meant to be. If they were, they wouldn’t be offered.

But come on, we’re all smart, we read The Consumerist after all :-)

It’s a matter of how bad do you want the money. If you want it bad enough, jump through the hoops (which you will find become increasingly easy) and you’ll get it. If not, full price is another alternative.

Keep in mind, I myself get frustrated having to call and get rebates approved, or having to file complaints with the BBB and such, but it comes with the territory. If I just gave up and stopped doing rebates altogether, I would have a LOT less than I do right now.

12. ConsumerAdvocacy1010 says:

@discounteggroll: I agree. Staples rebates are generally very painless. I got a rebate check from them less than 3 weeks after I registered it online (even though it said it could take 12 weeks because it was Holiday Time (between Black Friday and X-Max).

13. ConsumerAdvocacy1010 says:

@ConsumerAdvocacy1010: X-mas….not X-max

14. shepd says:

Two steps to beating the rebate lottery, along with the usual send in everything they ask for, as they ask for it in the fine print:

- Photocopy (or scan) EVERYTHING.
    – If the rebate is ~$50 or more, send it via registered mail. Below that, it’s probably worth taking your chances, considering how little you stand to gain after $10 of mail fees.

Following this, I’ve never been scammed yet. When I didn’t, I was. I’m thinking the registered mail tells them you mean business. ;-)

15. azntg says:

@shepd: All good points, except you forgot the third step…

CHECK UP ON THE REBATE STATUS FROM TIME TO TIME!

Sometimes, it takes a nudging e-mail or a quick visit to the rebate status website before they decide to mail out your check. As a matter of fact, I think some rebate fulfillment centers won’t even mail out the check until you contact them first!

16. cybercjh says:

::This is a BROTHER rebate. Yes, Office Depot was the vendor, but the rebate was offered by BROTHER.::

Some states have decreed that the retailer is ultimately responsible for the vendor’s rebate if it was the retailer who advertised the rebate (in a weekly ad or in store display, for example).

17. bigdtbone says:

@cybercjh: Yes, but in all of those cases, (must famous being the CompUSA/QPS CD Burner one) The manufactuer had gone out of business and left legitimate rebates unpaid.