Find Unclaimed Money With MissingMoney.com

If you think you might have some unclaimed money floating around somewhere, you should check out MissingMoney.com and find out.

MissingMoney.com is a free search that’s updated monthly and is endorsed by the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators.

Make sure you use this site (or your state government’s version, if you like,) and avoid the scammy sites out there that will try to get you to pay for this freely available information.

The Associated Press says that state prosecutors in Pennsylvania are cracking down on one such website that charges $24.95 to help people find unclaimed property.

When investigators plugged in the names of cartoon characters such as Batman, Spiderman and Wile E. Coyote at http://www.unclaimedmoney.us.com, it told them they had multiple caches of unclaimed money, the state attorney general’s office said.

The catch was that free search provided only vague information, and the Web site charged $24.95 for a membership that would produce details, the office said.

Boo! Don’t fall for this.

MissingMoney.com

State Sues Unclaimed Money Site [AP]

Comments

1. plustax says:

Didn’t we cover this one a couple days ago?

Here’s the absolutely best way to search and know that you are not going to reveal more information that you need to.

On Google search by name of your state and the words “Unclaimed Property” and usually the first or second hit is that state’s website for UCP. Again the whole thing is a giant pain to actually stake claim on your property but if you have the patients they will eventually pay it back to you.

There is also a chart on NAUPA.org that will link you directly to the official sites for state UCP department and give you a breakdown by state of the various rule set up by each state concerning holding periods and holder submission rules. It’s really exciting stuff, realy it is.

2. howie_in_az says:

lol the state of Pennsylvania says they owe me “over $100″.

3. plustax says:

Hey, Jay Leno is owed 14 cents by Staples as listed on the California website.

Seriously I really need to get back to work here, I’m going to be searching this damn thing for hours now. Tax returns be damned, I’ll just file extentions for everyone and get back to them in October.

4. rdldr1 says:

I had $20 in the bank when I was like 8 years old, in what used to be called First Chicago Bank. That was like early 1990s dollars. If the bank/government didnt seize my money, its probably worth billions now!

5. Exek says:

Checked it out last time you guys posted about it I was a bit weary so I used the site you guys posted then did a Google search for the state official site and found out I had over 100 bucks from an old employer check that I never cashed so I’m in the process now of claiming it

6. yetiwisdom says:

Used this after I saw the post last week and scored about $100 from a former employer. Free money. It’s awesome.

7. BrianU says:

That was easy, this money never showed-up before, and the finding site didn’t ask anything more than my name. It found $48 from a Colorado car insurance refund from the ’90s. Just printed their state’s claim form and will mail it in.

8. blitzcat says:

I scored $100 from an old city paycheck from 12 years ago. Sweet.

9. ohiomensch says:

I got $400 from a utility bill deposit I never got back. I just had to fill out a form, prove who I was, and checks in the mail. Sweet.

10. Looseneck says:

You can search business names also. I just received a check for over $26,000 for the company I work for.

11. Shadowfire says:

Wheee.. one more thing that doesn’t work for Vermonters. ;)

12. tk427 says: